5.0 out of 5 stars unputdownable ....
I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book as I'm not really one for reading such harrowing true life events but I have to say it is the most, heart wrenching, gripping and deeply moving book I have read for a long time, I could hardly put the book down. Kevin Wells and indeed the rest of his family have my complete and utter respect and admiration, the way they...
Published on 3 Oct 2005 by Jellyb

3.0 out of 5 stars An honest steaightforward depiction of tragedy
honest straightforward and very real. this is by no means a literary masterpiece but captures Kevin's raw anger and grief acutely
Published on 2 Sep 2012 by Lucy

‹ Previous | 1 2 329 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Deeply moving, 18 Mar 2005
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Hardcover)
This book is the most outstanding account I have ever read of a catastrophic family tragedy . It stands out because of the way in which an ordinary person has recorded the sort of horror each of us dreads in our worst nightmares. It's a brave personal story of a family living with tragedy whilst in a goldfish bowl, the nation is watching. We are humbled by it and learn an enormous amount about human nature and the human condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye dearest Holly is a must read., 30 Jan 2006
k bryan (elgin, moray United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Hardcover)
I was unsure at first if reading a book about such dreadful events would be a good idea. However goodbye dearest Holly gives the reader a heartbreaking look at a beautiful little girl, taken away from a loving family in the worst possible cirumstances. It is beautifully written by her brave father Kevin Wells. The tears that i shed reading this book, must be only a drop in the ocean of tears kevin must have wept writting this very moving account of his daughters life and death.
One unexpected part of the book is the spritial side of it, his use of mediums, and the shocking results will shake even the biggest non-believers. As the book moves onto the capture and trial of Huntley and Carr, it highlights some of the gross unfairness of a legal system trying more to ensure the rights of the accused are upheld and being PC, whilst forgetting about the feelings and rights of the victims and their famillies who have been torn to pieces by this crime.
In the end i am so glad that i did read this book, it did move me to tears in many places, but it also lets you see what a very special little girl Holly was, and how she enriched everyones life around her, and even now through her father and this book i feel she is still touching everyone who takes the time to reads it. The reading of this book and what it has taught me about life and the how these events effect the victmins will stay with me for a very long time, and i can't recommend this book highly enough. And finally i must thank Kevin and his family for sharing their story with me. the courage Kevin shows in writting this book, shows what kind of person he must be. I think Mr Wells you can be justly proud of, firstly Holly the little girl who god knows the whole world wish's you could still share your life with, and secondly this book which once again shows the power of the written word.

5.0 out of 5 stars A sobering read., 30 May 2006
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
I was lent this book two weeks ago and told that it was worth reading. If I am honest it is not something I would have gone out and bought. I didn't feel comfortable with the idea of wallowing in someone elses despair and grief. As a parent myself I cannot begin to imagine what this experience does to a family -a father - a mother - sisters and brothers.

However, having been given a copy I DID read it and am glad (if that is the right word) that I did so. It was a sobering read and a frightening look from within at every parent's worst nightmare. It gave a very honest account of the experience this family has gone through and the continuing effects it has upon them today. Even worse - nobody but Ian Huntley knows exactly what occurred when he enticed two little girls into his house that day. Like everyone else I was shattered watching the footage of them walking together in their football shirts - as a child that would have been me and my best friend - totally happy and feeling secure and safe in each other's company - with no idea of the evil which lies outside that little world.

I think Kevin Wells is to be commended for writing an honest account as he saw it - it should be required reading for anyone who deals with these kind of crimes - it truely tells it from a parent's perspective. I hope writing this has helped Kevin Wells with some of the feelings and demons he has been left with. My heart goes out to this family - their courage is astounding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye, Dearest Holly, 8 Jan 2006
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
At first I wasn't sure I wanted to read the book, but am so glad I did. It is a brilliant insight into the british justice system and gives brutally honest feelings from Mr Wells. Any parent not having been through such trauma can only imagine what life must have been like for these families. The hearts of the nation went out the Wells and Chapman families when their girls went missing. This book is very reassuring in letting the public know that the Wells family have come through the other side of a horrific chapter in their lives. God Bless them and thank them for letting the world share their experience and loss of their little angel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving account of a familiy's tradegy, 10 April 2005
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Hardcover)
To say I enjoyed this book would feel wrong but I found I could not put it down. Kevin writes of his family's loss and despair in a thought provoking and moving way. Many of us followed the terrible events of that August with a hope for a happy ending, when the terrible news came it was hard to comprehend how the 2 families would cope. Kevin gives us some insight into this and I felt it an honor to be allowed to share this. To read of the unspeakable letters and calls they recieved from some warped people was shocking. Kevin also writes of how they were often kept out of the police's information loop, again I found this shocking. This is the saddest book I have ever read (many times I found myself in tears) and this is due to the sheer honesty of Kevin's writing. It has left me with an overwhelming admiration for Kevin, Nicola and Oliver and I wish them well for the futre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Rendering, 25 July 2006
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
What a great book - and a fascinating insight into the British justice system - let's just say, it is not seen in a favourable light and like many people, I'm sure, makes me so angry for what the Wells (& Chapman) family were put through at such a traumatic time.

Both the Wells and Chapman families have my deepest respect and admiration. A wonderful tribute to both Holly and Jessica.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very true and harrowing story, 14 Oct 2005
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
I can only commend Mr. Wells for this book. When this tragedy first occurred, I like the rest of the nation were horrified that someone could be as evil to do this. This book give you an insight as to what Kevin, Nicola and Oliver went through from the moment their daughter is unfairly taken away from them up to the trial and beyond. A few times whilst reading this book I had to stop for crying so God know how hard it must have been to write it.
I can only hope that writing this has in someway helped the family. Both families have been to hell and back and I hope that Huntley and Carr rot in it.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent piece of writing, 27 Mar 2005
Mrs J Moss (Preston, Lancashire Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Hardcover)
I am stll reading this book, but felt I had to comment. It is an excellent piece of work, sensitively written and very moving. I find I cant put it down. The story of these two little girls surely touched the hearts of the nation and I feel very humbled being able to read how this extraordinary family have coped with the loss of their beautiful and beloved daughter and sister. Excellent.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Sad, 30 Aug 2006
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Paperback)
This book was really sad and my heart goes out to Holly and Jessicas family.

It was nice to see however, the families point of view of things, rather than the over exaggerated stories you hear in the papers and on the news. It shows how the FLO's struggle between the pressures of the job and the well being of the family.

Definately needs some tissues when you read this. I cried most of the way through the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodbye Dearest Holly, 31 July 2005
This review is from: Goodbye, Dearest Holly (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down. A heartbreaking story written in a loving way by a very dear man.
My heart went out to the Wells Family, very brave and very dear.
A different reflection on the justice system.
A must read!!