on 5 May 2014
Bought six of these as last year had bought Water Wizards. Only problem was no holes in spikes so simply poked a few holes in the sides and cut the tip off the end and work perfectly. These are extremely cheap but once you put the holes in them they work as well as the expensive ones I purchased last year. I have ordered a further eight.
on 17 May 2014
OK the instructions are in Chinese, but there are pictures. Top right shows a thumb tack and red dot on the spike, meaning = make a hole with the thumb tack. Top left shows where to make the hole, either 2cm from tip or 5cm from tip (note the drawing is wrong, the text gives total length 13.5cm and this is to the TOP of the screw not the bottom as per illustration). Series of diagrams at very bottom, four with big red crosses which indicates WRONG METHOD, the two to the right show where the hole should be if you use a deep or a shallow pot. OK this ignores most of the text and I'm not sure what the two figures bottom right on third fold mean - should you put cotton wool etc round the spike to stop soil ingress? Mine work OK without any padding. Another point probably hidden in the text - do you use a closed bottle or cut the bottom off it ? Obviously air has to get in to replace the lost water, so I reckon a hole in the bottle or for easy re-filling, cut the bottom right off.
on 18 April 2014
Disapointed with these spikes no holes for water to drain .and instructions in Chinese so not to pleased with them .will have to find a small drill to make the holes.
on 26 June 2014
Just about to order another set for my sister - she saw mine 'self' watering my tomatoes whilst I was at work on a hot day
on 10 July 2015
They arrived within the specified time and were well packaged. But has anyone found out how to make these things work for more than a few hours ? I've tried burning a tiny hole in the spike with a hot needle and attaching it to a 2litre intact bottle. Result. after a few initial drops the vacuum in the bottle prevented any further emission. Make pinhole in the base of the bottle ? Bottle now empties within the hour.
Make the hole in the end of the spike larger and seal the hole in the base of the bottle ? After a day the bottle now gets sucked in until the vacuum becomes too much and emission stops. I suspect that the secret is getting the size of the outlet hole right so that wet soil prevents air being drawn in to the bottle, but as it dries out it allows air in. But I've lost patience with the whole thing. Life's too short !
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 July 2015
Coke bottles fit, not all bottles. I followed the instructions left by other reviewers and the water leaves too quickly. Wasted 2 already with putting 4 holes in at the recommended heights and with a drawing pin. Tried 2 holes top and bottom, still the flow is too quick. I am going to try just one small hole. Tried to contact seller nothing. Not worth returning, please don't waste your money. I had some globe ones I got 2 for £1 at the pound shop and they still have water and feed in and I have returned from my 2 week holiday ! I gave all my pots and baskets a good soaking before leaving. I just thought the globe ones would not be sufficient given the resent high temperatures.
on 13 August 2015
Um, yeah. It's a plastic cone that screws on to a bottle. Don't expect it to look after your tomatoes while you jet off to Cuba for 2 weeks. With one small pin hole (self administered) about halfway down the spike, it drained a 2 litre bottle in about 10 hours. I'm struggling to think what these are actually useful for, to be honest. Also, good luck with the Chinese instructions.
on 19 June 2014
Product worked for me, it took a little while to get it adjusted, but I got it right in the end.
on 13 September 2015
I experimented different sized holes and different positions and researched well but unfortunately it's either too little water coming out and or too much water coming out in one go - and there seems to be no in-between, despite having carefully calibrated the hole size from a small sewing pin to slightly larger sewing needle. So I really don't know what else to try.
on 21 February 2016
Cheap and does the job.
However, most of the bottles you buy at the local supermarket won't fit, so you need to spend some time and money to find a good match.
It has no holes imeaning you need to cut the tip off the end to make it work. Cutting too much means the water flows too quickly, cutting too little and water will just not flow at all.