Format: DVD|Change

on 29 January 2013
I got this DVD for Christmas, but I wanted to wait until I'd given it a fair test to review it. I've been doing it 4 times a week for 4 weeks and I am very happy with the results.

I do the Cardio and Abs section together one day and then alternate to do the toning section the next time around and so on.

First things first, I always find it helpful to understand how long a workout is. It's not helpful to say a workout is 20 mins when actually it's closer to 40 by the time you've done the warm-up and cool down (which you must!).

Warm-up - 13mins
Intense cardio - 20
Intense toning - 27 mins
Intense Abs - 13mins
Cooldown - 7 mins (for the short version)

I'm comfortable with my weight around the 8-10 size, but have crept up to a 10-12 over the past year meaning a lot of my clothes don't fit. I should also say that I am one of those people that puts weight on from head to toe so it takes about a stone for me to notice a real difference because it's always so evenly distributed.

I never weigh myself because, let's face it, it's so depressing. Weight is really only numbers that you say to other people and I've never found that it reflects how I feel about myself. For me, feeling good is being able to wear the clothes I love with confidence so I chucked out the scales long ago.

With an event coming up I knew I wanted to get back into something nice and feel good. This DVD seemed like a good bet. A little over four weeks ago I could barely pull my size 10 jeans over my bum, let alone do them up, but I am happy to say that they're not only up and over, but there's a little bit of wiggle room too. That's about 4-5 inches lost from my bum and hips and I am feeling great.

I'm a big fan of Davina, Jackie and Mark and have tried all their DVDs. This is up there with my favourites. There's just something about their workouts that, although they are challenging, they are so enjoyable and motivating too. I have to workout first thing because of my work patterns and even at 6am I am happy to pull myself out of bed and get stuck in.

Put your trust in the trio - this workout will bring some great results.
33 comments|201 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
Firstly I will say I love Davina's workout DVDs. I've owned them all over the years and look forward to the new instalment each year. I said last year that Ultimate Target would be hard to beat and although Intense is still a great workout and a fresh approach to exercise, Ultimate Target is still my favourite. (See edit below!)

This DVD is split into 5 sections, warm up, intense cardio box, intense toning, intense abs and cool down.

The idea of this DVD is to keep you at an intense level with your heart rate up for a period of time before having a rest period and then another intense level of exercise. I've never really been a fan of high impact exercise but this is managable for me and I think with practice I'll be able to keep up!

One of the great things about this DVD is that it is all quite self contained in terms of space, you don't need a massive space to do the workout. You will need a mat or towel, some water and a pair of weights(or bottles of water)

Warm Up:

Led by Jackie, A very good warm up, fun at the beginning and then harder than the previous dvds and definitely gets your heart rate up with the usual stretches afterwards. I love the stretches, if only to see Mark trying to balance yet again! His shimmy is also something you don't want to miss! :-) The warm up is harder I assume as the workout is also quite hard so it prepares you for that.

Intense Cardio Box:

Led by Jackie this is some of the usual boxing moves done on the previous dvds but much faster. Jackie prepares you before each section to tell you what the moves will be. There are also 2 minute breaks between each workout section, which might annoy some people who can keep going but for me I need that break. I found it quite hard to keep up with Davina and Mark, but as you are working to a period of time (30 seconds on most) you just do what you can.

Intense Toning:

Led by Mark, again some of the old moves you have seen on previous DVDs but much faster. Again I couldn't really keep up, but hopefully after a few attempts I will be able to. At only 11 weeks post partum I'm a little out of practice! I did this yesterday and I am aching today, in a good way! Again you have slightly longer rest periods between the exercises.

Intense Abs:

Led by Jackie, it starts with some standing ab exercises which again get your heart rate going, there is no easy part of this DVD, so don't expect an easy ride. It is then followed by some laying moves which are again very good and I am aching today on my abs.

Cool Down:

Led by Mark, A usual Davina workout cool down, lots of nice stretches to relax you after the madness!

All in all, I'd recommend you try this DVD, especially if you already love the Davina workouts. If you are very new to exercise it may be a little hard at first, but Jackie always does the easier workout and you can work your way up.

Again I'd say Ultimate Target for me is probably the best DVD they have done. I found that working at a slightly reduced level for a longer period of time without the longer breaks is what I prefer along with the targeted sections that DVD offers. However, I think that Intense combined with Ultimate Target is all the workouts I'll need to get back in my pre-pregnancy shape. It must be so hard for them to come up with a new DVD each year and to keep it fresh and they don't disappoint.

I wanted to edit this review to also mention the Davina Fitness app which is available. It runs alongside this DVD and is free to download, although there is a personal trainer section you can download for £1.49. I wanted to just mention the App because it is actually genius. You can basically workout anywhere you take your phone and it also has a running buddy if you want to go for a jog and log it.

It has lots of different exercise routines that you can pick from a Cardio Tone and Sculpt list which target specific body areas such as 'muffin top gone' 'Kick box extreme', also broken down to beginner, occasional and experienced, so you can go at your own pace depending on your ability. Every time you do a workout you get a heart. The workouts are not video based, it just tells you what exercise to do for that minute or 30 seconds, although there are video tutorials you can use.

You can make your own playlist on your phone and play this alongside the workout which is great. Another great aspect is that all the workouts are self-contained and only 20-25 minutes long so for those of you who don't have time to do the full DVD workout you can do the app and the workouts include a short warmup and cooldown stretches. I've done it three times in the last two days and I'm still aching!

***Ok I had to edit this review again. I said that in my first time reviewing that this wasn't my favourite, but I have to say that after a few weeks its slowly becoming as much of a favourite as Ultimate Target for me, I think the more you do this DVD, the 'easier' it will get. I've noticed a difference already that I can keep up and my cardio is getting better. Waiting now for some batteries for my HRM so I can see how many calories I'm burning!
55 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 December 2013
Excellent for improving fitness levels and toning. Easy to follow and more enjoyable than the gym! Would highly recommend this DVD
on 12 December 2012
I am a HUGE fan of Davina, Jackie and Mark's and have loved working out with them over the years, their approach, variety and intensity of exercises ever increasing with each DVD, always with a little humour thrown in.

I work out 6 days a week and need the variety of workouts this trio provide, I alternate between Body Buff, High Energy 5, Davina Fit and Ultimate Target, after doing this DVD earlier I will now be adding this to the mix!

I loved doing this workout, it's fast and really gets your heart rate soaring. Obviously, you only get out of a workout what you put into it, put 110% in and you will really feel the benefit!

I have given a brief description below of the format:

The warm up does what it says, it's a different approach to her other DVD's, there is a short gentle few minutes (a bit of a fun dance and shimmey!), then a more faster paced few minutes (think star jumps, twists, high knees), followed by lovely stretching.

Intense Cardio box - This is fast paced 30 second intervals - there are 4 sets of 3 minutes with a 2 minute active recovery inbetween each, which gives you chance to get some water and lower your heart rate for the next burst. (high knees, lunges, a variety of punches, knee raises, kick backs, kicks, squats, the list is very long!)

Intense Toning - Again fast paced intervals this time using hand weights, it's advisable not to use the size of hand weight you would normally use as the speed of the toning intervals is quite fast. There are cardio burst intervals following the toning and then active recovery as with the Cardio Box. There is also a short floor section prior to the last cardio interval where you work arms and abs.

Intense Abs - You start with a standing ab section which is great, as if you are following one of the previous sections your heart rate will still be elevated, then move to the floor for more intense toning. Again this follows the principle of 30 second intervals.

Stretch - LOVELY - The usual mix of basic plus dynamic stretching with Mark.

Thanks again you lovely, lovely trio you have not disappointed. xx

**Update**

I have now been doing this workout twice a week in combination with the other DVD's previously stated and WOW, I have noticed a major improvement in my stamina and strength levels when doing the other DVD's. I always use a heart rate monitor, and upon reading other reviews of comments on the 2 minute active rest being too long I thought I would let you know my readings as an indication of why the rest periods are so important. (As a guide I exercise 6 times a week for up to 2 hours, I consider myself to be very fit and healthy).

In the Cardio Box my heart rate elevated to 170-178 at the end of each section, at the end of the 2 minute rest periods it never went below 124.

In the Intense Tone my heart rate elevated to 160-170 at the end of each section, at the end of the 2 minute rest periods it never went below 130.

Even in the Intense Abs it never went below 100 which is quite high considering you are lying down!

I hope this gives and indication of why the 2 minute recovery is SO important. xx
44 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 March 2014
I would recommend this DVD to anyone! when i first bought this DVD i could barely complete one section; 4 weeks later i was able to complete whole DVD and lost 2 stone! thanks Davina!!
on 4 June 2013
I have been quite involved with my fitness for about 7 years now. In the past I mainly stuck with the Pump It Up workout DVD series alongside a gym membership, but this year I decided to ditch the gym due to punishing work commitments, etc. However I was getting quite bored of Pump It Up, having pretty much knowing the routines off by heart. Time for a change, and Davina's latest was my choice.

I consider myself pretty fit, and the first time I done this DVD doing just the warm up and cardio got me sweating, huffing and puffing. I couldn't believe it. Then when I done the warm up, cardio box section and the toning section, I was aching for DAYS. I have nothing bad to say about this DVD whatsoever. Davina, Mark and Jackie all emphasise the importance of doing the warm up, stretching, keeping your posture right and throughout all that, they manage to also have a good working relationship which you can clearly see as you do the sections. That helped me out loads because it made me feel like I was suffering with them and that it wasn't all that bad, it'd be over soon! And it was, but I definitely felt it afterwards!

I've noticed a difference since using this DVD alongside a calorie controlled diet, so getting results with 'Intense' is completely possible! Only if YOU help make it happen yourself though. If you're someone who is super fit, then this DVD will be too easy for you. If you're someone that's starting out or intermediate like myself, then I reckon you should give this DVD a good attempt! Also if you are starting out with exercise, you have two options - follow Jackie for the more easier workout, or follow Davina and Mark for the more harder workout. But as Davina stresses in the sections, only do it at your own pace. If you don't feel you can go super fast and smash out loads of reps or whatever, then don't. Build yourself up to it. If you feel that you can go above and beyond, then do it.

All in all, a brilliant DVD. Will definitely consider buying more of Davina's previous and future DVD's after I wear this one out!
on 28 January 2013
I have been doing Davina workout DVDs for many years, and have 8 of the DVDs from her collection. I always look out for the new release in Dec and look forward to trying some new workouts.

From the new Davina Intense DVD I do the Toning workout (27 mins) but combine the Cardio with the Abs workout (around 30 mins) to give me a decent workout (I like to do at least 30 mins each day). Then of course there is the warm up / cool down to add. I think it would have been useful if they put each workout duration on the cover.

Anyway, more on the actual workouts. They are, as it says on the cover, Intense, but I'm not afraid of working out hard so that wasn't my issue. What I did find is that working out at this rate when I first started did hurt my back (a problem I have never had with the Davina DVDs before). I like to think I have learned the exercises over the years and know the basics about posture and protecting knees, back etc but I still had trouble.

After doing these workouts for about 4 weeks, the back problems did ease off, but I do think that it is an easy trap to fall in to (losing posture and technique) when you are doing weights, squats at great speed.

I think the workouts are VERY effective, when you have perfected your technique, I feel like I have had a very hard workout and the right muscles are aching! I just need to stress, if you are a Davina veteran, but new to this DVD just take your time and try and concentrate on your technique rather than keeping up.

Davina, Jackie and Mark are still the best at what they do, and I look forward to this year's offering :-)
on 25 February 2013
Bought this because I have last years and found that so effective. Have so far done cardio box and intense toning regularly.Had been doing less energetic workouts for longer periods and not seeing much effect but this is great. I love the fact that you train really hard for short bursts because it makes it manageable for me.I am not fit enough to keep the pace up any longer than we do on the DVD!!! I am already seeing a difference in how my clothes fit after a couple of weeks of using 3 times a week. Another point that is really important I think is that my husband is really happy to do the work out as well because Mark is on it and leading some of it. We both enjoy the down to earth style of Jackie, Mark and Davina. Sounds silly in some ways but we feel we are working out with 'real' people who although really fit relate to the fact that what you are doing is hard work. This makes me feel a lot better (!) and although I find it hard to get started sometimes, once I am doing the warm up, I feel great and know I am achieving something worthwhile. And when we are finished it is a great psychological boost with all the endorphins that are flying around. Buy it, it really will help you get fit and tone up!
on 29 November 2015
This is one of my pereffered fitness dvd's; my favourite being Shaun T's T25.
This is based on high intensity training.
I find the narration a bit annoying in places, but I know the exercises so now have the sound off and listen to my own music.
It really does work on fitness levels, though I double up the cardio and abs in one session, then do the toning a different day (often with a different cardio too).
The abs section is quite short, which is why I double it up with other exercises.
on 11 December 2015
Love all the davina fitness DVDs. This one works you hard if you want to push yourself. I'm an experienced exerciser when it comes to body sculpt classes and circuit training at my local leisure centre, and davina a DVDs use a lot of the same moves/exercises. They are not gimmicky like a lot if the celeb fitness DVDs out there. If you use this DVD regularly and eat sensibly you can definitely see results. Definitely recommend this DVD and most of the other davina fitness DVDs.