5.0 out of 5 stars Back in my skinny size 10s!
I got this DVD for Christmas, but I wanted to wait until I'd given it a fair test to review it. I've been doing it 4 times a week for 4 weeks and I am very happy with the results.

I do the Cardio and Abs section together one day and then alternate to do the toning section the next time around and so on.

First things first, I always find it helpful to...
Published on 29 Jan. 2013 by Angelbythewater

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware - too much bouncing and twisting of joints
I purchased this DVD to help me re-gain my fitness after fracturing my arm. Overall, the exercise routines are fairly motivating and fun to do at the beginning. However there is quite a lot of jumping and twisting of the lower joints, which is not great if you don't want to end up with achy knees etc.
Published 12 months ago by Helena

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in my skinny size 10s!, 29 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)

First things first, I always find it helpful to understand how long a workout is. It's not helpful to say a workout is 20 mins when actually it's closer to 40 by the time you've done the warm-up and cool down (which you must!).

Warm-up - 13mins
Intense cardio - 20
Intense toning - 27 mins
Intense Abs - 13mins
Cooldown - 7 mins (for the short version)

I'm comfortable with my weight around the 8-10 size, but have crept up to a 10-12 over the past year meaning a lot of my clothes don't fit. I should also say that I am one of those people that puts weight on from head to toe so it takes about a stone for me to notice a real difference because it's always so evenly distributed.

I never weigh myself because, let's face it, it's so depressing. Weight is really only numbers that you say to other people and I've never found that it reflects how I feel about myself. For me, feeling good is being able to wear the clothes I love with confidence so I chucked out the scales long ago.

With an event coming up I knew I wanted to get back into something nice and feel good. This DVD seemed like a good bet. A little over four weeks ago I could barely pull my size 10 jeans over my bum, let alone do them up, but I am happy to say that they're not only up and over, but there's a little bit of wiggle room too. That's about 4-5 inches lost from my bum and hips and I am feeling great.

I'm a big fan of Davina, Jackie and Mark and have tried all their DVDs. This is up there with my favourites. There's just something about their workouts that, although they are challenging, they are so enjoyable and motivating too. I have to workout first thing because of my work patterns and even at 6am I am happy to pull myself out of bed and get stuck in.

Put your trust in the trio - this workout will bring some great results.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can't go wrong with Davina...wasn't my favourite but now becoming an 'intense' convert!, 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
Firstly I will say I love Davina's workout DVDs. I've owned them all over the years and look forward to the new instalment each year. I said last year that Ultimate Target would be hard to beat and although Intense is still a great workout and a fresh approach to exercise, Ultimate Target is still my favourite. (See edit below!)

This DVD is split into 5 sections, warm up, intense cardio box, intense toning, intense abs and cool down.

The idea of this DVD is to keep you at an intense level with your heart rate up for a period of time before having a rest period and then another intense level of exercise. I've never really been a fan of high impact exercise but this is managable for me and I think with practice I'll be able to keep up!

One of the great things about this DVD is that it is all quite self contained in terms of space, you don't need a massive space to do the workout. You will need a mat or towel, some water and a pair of weights(or bottles of water)

Warm Up:

Led by Jackie, A very good warm up, fun at the beginning and then harder than the previous dvds and definitely gets your heart rate up with the usual stretches afterwards. I love the stretches, if only to see Mark trying to balance yet again! His shimmy is also something you don't want to miss! :-) The warm up is harder I assume as the workout is also quite hard so it prepares you for that.

Intense Cardio Box:

Led by Jackie this is some of the usual boxing moves done on the previous dvds but much faster. Jackie prepares you before each section to tell you what the moves will be. There are also 2 minute breaks between each workout section, which might annoy some people who can keep going but for me I need that break. I found it quite hard to keep up with Davina and Mark, but as you are working to a period of time (30 seconds on most) you just do what you can.

Intense Toning:

Led by Mark, again some of the old moves you have seen on previous DVDs but much faster. Again I couldn't really keep up, but hopefully after a few attempts I will be able to. At only 11 weeks post partum I'm a little out of practice! I did this yesterday and I am aching today, in a good way! Again you have slightly longer rest periods between the exercises.

Intense Abs:

Led by Jackie, it starts with some standing ab exercises which again get your heart rate going, there is no easy part of this DVD, so don't expect an easy ride. It is then followed by some laying moves which are again very good and I am aching today on my abs.

Cool Down:

Led by Mark, A usual Davina workout cool down, lots of nice stretches to relax you after the madness!

All in all, I'd recommend you try this DVD, especially if you already love the Davina workouts. If you are very new to exercise it may be a little hard at first, but Jackie always does the easier workout and you can work your way up.

Again I'd say Ultimate Target for me is probably the best DVD they have done. I found that working at a slightly reduced level for a longer period of time without the longer breaks is what I prefer along with the targeted sections that DVD offers. However, I think that Intense combined with Ultimate Target is all the workouts I'll need to get back in my pre-pregnancy shape. It must be so hard for them to come up with a new DVD each year and to keep it fresh and they don't disappoint.

I wanted to edit this review to also mention the Davina Fitness app which is available. It runs alongside this DVD and is free to download, although there is a personal trainer section you can download for £1.49. I wanted to just mention the App because it is actually genius. You can basically workout anywhere you take your phone and it also has a running buddy if you want to go for a jog and log it.

It has lots of different exercise routines that you can pick from a Cardio Tone and Sculpt list which target specific body areas such as 'muffin top gone' 'Kick box extreme', also broken down to beginner, occasional and experienced, so you can go at your own pace depending on your ability. Every time you do a workout you get a heart. The workouts are not video based, it just tells you what exercise to do for that minute or 30 seconds, although there are video tutorials you can use.

You can make your own playlist on your phone and play this alongside the workout which is great. Another great aspect is that all the workouts are self-contained and only 20-25 minutes long so for those of you who don't have time to do the full DVD workout you can do the app and the workouts include a short warmup and cooldown stretches. I've done it three times in the last two days and I'm still aching!

***Ok I had to edit this review again. I said that in my first time reviewing that this wasn't my favourite, but I have to say that after a few weeks its slowly becoming as much of a favourite as Ultimate Target for me, I think the more you do this DVD, the 'easier' it will get. I've noticed a difference already that I can keep up and my cardio is getting better. Waiting now for some batteries for my HRM so I can see how many calories I'm burning!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it... Update (still love it!)..., 12 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I am a HUGE fan of Davina, Jackie and Mark's and have loved working out with them over the years, their approach, variety and intensity of exercises ever increasing with each DVD, always with a little humour thrown in.

I work out 6 days a week and need the variety of workouts this trio provide, I alternate between Body Buff, High Energy 5, Davina Fit and Ultimate Target, after doing this DVD earlier I will now be adding this to the mix!

I loved doing this workout, it's fast and really gets your heart rate soaring. Obviously, you only get out of a workout what you put into it, put 110% in and you will really feel the benefit!

I have given a brief description below of the format:

The warm up does what it says, it's a different approach to her other DVD's, there is a short gentle few minutes (a bit of a fun dance and shimmey!), then a more faster paced few minutes (think star jumps, twists, high knees), followed by lovely stretching.

Intense Cardio box - This is fast paced 30 second intervals - there are 4 sets of 3 minutes with a 2 minute active recovery inbetween each, which gives you chance to get some water and lower your heart rate for the next burst. (high knees, lunges, a variety of punches, knee raises, kick backs, kicks, squats, the list is very long!)

Intense Toning - Again fast paced intervals this time using hand weights, it's advisable not to use the size of hand weight you would normally use as the speed of the toning intervals is quite fast. There are cardio burst intervals following the toning and then active recovery as with the Cardio Box. There is also a short floor section prior to the last cardio interval where you work arms and abs.

Intense Abs - You start with a standing ab section which is great, as if you are following one of the previous sections your heart rate will still be elevated, then move to the floor for more intense toning. Again this follows the principle of 30 second intervals.

Stretch - LOVELY - The usual mix of basic plus dynamic stretching with Mark.

Thanks again you lovely, lovely trio you have not disappointed. xx

**Update**

I have now been doing this workout twice a week in combination with the other DVD's previously stated and WOW, I have noticed a major improvement in my stamina and strength levels when doing the other DVD's. I always use a heart rate monitor, and upon reading other reviews of comments on the 2 minute active rest being too long I thought I would let you know my readings as an indication of why the rest periods are so important. (As a guide I exercise 6 times a week for up to 2 hours, I consider myself to be very fit and healthy).

In the Cardio Box my heart rate elevated to 170-178 at the end of each section, at the end of the 2 minute rest periods it never went below 124.

In the Intense Tone my heart rate elevated to 160-170 at the end of each section, at the end of the 2 minute rest periods it never went below 130.

Even in the Intense Abs it never went below 100 which is quite high considering you are lying down!

I hope this gives and indication of why the 2 minute recovery is SO important. xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I have all the Davina DVD's but this is the first time I have felt compelled to leave a review. If you have any of the previous DVD's then the moves will be familiar but not in a tired way. I really love the interval training and rest periods and can certainly feel it working (for up to two days after...). The warm up on this one is excellent and will have you sweating before you start - it is a perfect mix of rotations, stretches and cardio. I have to say that I prefer the cardio section on this DVD much more than on any of the others and if I hit it at full energy I am panting by the time the break arrives! The toning section I am careful on to ensure I have good form rather than building up the speed at the moment but it is great nevertheless.

I don't have the time to work out every day or to complete the entire DVD from beginning to end as I have two young children and I work full time. I have been completing the warm up/cardio/cool down and the warm up/tone/cool down on an exercise day, then 'rest' day basis. However, on the rest day I have still completed the warm up and cool down stretch (which is fantastic) to loosen up and prevent injury/aching. I have found that this is working well for me. I can't keep up with Davina and Mark on all the moves yet but can on many so that will give me something to work towards. The abs section I will build in over the next week or so.

I can definitely imagine that with healthy eating and regular exercise then the weight will come off and I will tone up. I will certainly update if that is the case. I think I will definitely be using this DVD without getting bored for a long time as I am the one responsible for ensuring I challenge myself if it starts to get easy and can do so by simply moving faster/adding more reps or using heavier weights.

Thanks Davina, Jackie and Mark for a great DVD - I highly recommend it! :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Intensely Good!, 11 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I knew during the warm-up for this dvd that I was going to love it! I am a fan of all of Davina's workouts and Body Buff has been my favourite - until now that is. The warm up has great music and moves and is just that little bit more active than previous dvds which I love.

The cardio & toning sections are amazing, definitely get the heart rate up and to repeat what another reviewer said the fact that you get a break between intervals makes you go for it even more. I was really out of breath between intervals and at tiimes during the toning found it hard keeping up which is great as it gives me something to work towards. I did use a lighter weight than usual and again that gives me plenty of room for improvement.
I really love the ab section, I admit I have only done this twice but could really feel it and hopefully will notice some good results over time.

The cooldown is great as always, very relaxing and very much needed!

As the name says it's an intense workout and you really do have to work hard but it's enjoyable and worth the effort - the music is great and Mark finally solves his balance problem!
So another brilliant dvd from Jackie, Mark and Davina. I will definitely be using this 3 or 4 times per week and know that I will be getting fitter and toned everytime I use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
Excellent for improving fitness levels and toning. Easy to follow and more enjoyable than the gym! Would highly recommend this DVD

5.0 out of 5 stars or any good at exercise (quite the opposite in fact), 24 July 2014
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I'm am so so impressed with this DVD. I'm not necessarily a Davina fan as such, or any good at exercise (quite the opposite in fact), but this DVD really nails it. Davina is so easy to watch as is extremely down to earth, so makes it an enjoyable and fun work out. She also occassionally cracks me up which helps.
Davina's two fellow trainers are also helpful and cater for everyones needs (older people/the unfit/the beginners/the male audience).
I was recommended this by several people and I totally recommend it to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars ANOTHER BRILL DVD FROM DAVINA, 27 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I REQUEST ON MY CRIMBO LIST EVERY YEAR THE NEW DAVINA DVD. NEVER EVER DISSAPOINTED.
I DID THINK LAST YEAR WAS POSSIBLY HER BEST EVER AND HOW WAS SHE GOING TO BEAT IT THIS YEAR. HAVE TO SAY NOT BETTER THAN LAST YEARS BUT DEFFINATELY EQUAL. I DID IT FOR THE FIRST TIME TODAY. I DID THE WHOLE DVD AND LOVED IT. I LOVE THE FACT ITS NOT REPETITIVE, YOU CAN REALLY PUSH YOURSELF AND WHEN YOU ARE JUST ABOUT TO GIVE UP AND THE COUNT DOWN COMES KNOWING YOU ARE NEAR THE END OF THAT PARTICULAR ROUTINE PUSHES YOU TO GIVE IT 110%
IF YOU HONESTLY GIVE IT YOUR ALL AND REALLY PUSH YOURSELF YOU WILL FEEL IT AND I AM SURE WILL GET THE RESULTS WITH A HEALTHY EATING PLAN THAT YOU WANT. I CLASS MYSELF AS QUITE FIT I RUN AND DO CROSS TRAINER ETC BUT OUT OF ANY DVD'S I HAVE PURCHASED AND I HAVE MANY FOR ME DAVINAS ARE THE BEST. I AM NOT VERY GOOD WITH DANCE ROUTINES SO THIS IS IDEAL FOR ME NOT LOTS OF ACTIONS TO REMEMBER VERY EASY TO PICK UP. I WILL DO ALTERNATE DAYS WITH THE NEW AND AND LAST YEAR.
DON'T CHEAT REALLY GIVE IT YOUR ALL EVEN WHEN YOU THINK YOU CAN GIVE NO MORE JUST PUSH YOURSELF A LITTLE BIT MORE YOU WILL SUPRISE YOURSELF.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are short of time this one is for you, 13 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
New year needed some incentive to get off the sofa. Cold dark mornings and evenings were the perfect excuse not to go out for walk or run. Have never bought a Davina exercise dvd before as I am not her biggest fan, although that was probably Big Brother's fault rather than hers! Well I have only done this a couple of times but would recommend it to anyone who wants to put in the effort but needs a short sharp
burst of exercise to get them going. Jackie does the low impact so you have options if you need to. Davina, I was pleasantly surprised, was not annoying and got on with the exercises. It was a toss up between this a Josie Gibson - who I had never heard of and I am happy I chose this one.

The best bit I managed to get my less than active partner to do it this morning (without me around of course!!) The fact that there is a muscley bloke doing it in a very non feminine way (apart from his shimmey!) and that it is short too meant I had bargaining power. He managed it ok and did both sets of stretches, you never know he may be fighting me over this one yet........

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best yet, 6 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Davina Intense [DVD] (DVD)
I would recommend this DVD to anyone! when i first bought this DVD i could barely complete one section; 4 weeks later i was able to complete whole DVD and lost 2 stone! thanks Davina!!

Davina Intense [DVD]
Davina Intense [DVD] by Davina McCall (DVD - 2012)