5.0 out of 5 stars The best BBC series in quite some time.
Published 13 months ago by Midori Bear

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good
There are some plot errors I found frustrating, and there were several things that felt rushed, or haphazard. Overall, it was a good show.
Published 15 months ago by Lys Smith

5.0 out of 5 stars The best BBC series in quite some time., 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street [DVD] (DVD)
I love nothing more then getting hooked on a good tv series, but i didn't quite expect my obsession with Ripper Street to be so strong! I first saw the trailers around christmas and watched it each and every week, with my love of the different characters growing with every episode. Each character has their own story and unique hidden back story which gets revealed as the series continues. This added with each weeks different mystery leads for an addictive show, as you want to watch week by week as we discover more about the three lead characters.

Adam Rothenberg, Jerome Flynn and Matthew McFadyen (Jackson, Drake and Reid) are all brilliant, working well with each other to create a believable police unit, with great supporting characters such as Rose and Long Susan and adorable trainee policeman Hobbs!

I got given this DVD for my birthday and have already watched it through again twice, i literally can't get enough, the series improves each time you watch it as you pick up dialogue or notice things you had previously missed. Brilliant stories, amazing acting and spectacular settings, this really is one to buy. I have sat down to watch it with my mum as well, so it is one for all the ages, if you are a bit squeamish it might be best to close your eyes through some parts but don't let that put you off because the stories alone are just great.

I can't wait for the next series which is being filmed as i type, bring on more Ripper Street!

5.0 out of 5 stars great show, has it all, 1 Mar 2014
I watched season 1 and 2 on Netflix and fell in love. I was so heartbroken when I found out BBC had cancelled but I read in the paper that Amazon is funding half of production to bring it back to life! I am so thrilled!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazon saves the day!, 28 Feb 2014
Just read that Amazon have recommisioned the next series of Ripper Street after the Beeb decided I'm better entertained by pointless reality drivel, perhaps I should start paying my licence fee to Amazon?

5.0 out of 5 stars Very believable and absorbing., 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street [DVD] (DVD)
This is just a review of the TV series so far, (after five episodes).
I love Ripper Street! It's a strange mix of thoroughly convincing Victorian dialog, slow and intriguing character development, excellent casting, acting and direction and the introduction, (as a previous reviewer noted) of `new technology' which gives the series an almost Steampunk feel without detracting from the impression that it is rooted in a very real and visceral world. I love the way that all the major characters are damaged in some way but hide their pain rather than wallowing in it.
That there is a token American in it is no surprise as the BBC rather patronisingly assumes Americans will only watch a British drama if there is one of their own in it.
I have no idea what the DVD sound and picture quality will be like of what extras will be included but, as this is a BBC production I would assume that they will all be up to par.
The only note of caution I would inject is that at 17 (or 17.99 for the Blu-ray) this is not cheap. Personally I am happy to wait until it drops by a few quid as it should do by the time I'm ready to re-watch it.
As the program has received good ratings and has also gained critical approval here's hoping for a second series.

Update - The BBC have just announced a second series of 8 stories for transmission in 2014. Hurrah!

4.0 out of 5 stars Blu Ray Review, 24 Mar 2013
Adrian Drew (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ripper Street [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
This well acted and produced highly original series is not for the faint hearted as it deals with some very shocking themes - a Victorian version of the French series "Spiral" springs to mind! However, despite all the care lavished on the design and detail, blu ray transfer is not perfect unfortunately. The opening section of episode one, in fact, has a problem of fringing during fast movement which is rather distracting but this settles down after about 10 minutes - a coding issue perhaps. On video projection it is much worse. The black levels are not very wonderful either but on a normal size tv are probably okay. Thankfully the audio is fine! That said, this highly ambitious series - superbly acted by it's leads - well written with an authentic note of "otherness" in the dialogue, and intriguingly plotted, does give a fascinating picture of Victorian life in the raw. The past is another country, they do things differently there - and "Ripper Street" certainly demonstrates that in all it's uncompromising horror!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mullet man, 17 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Just watched the latest episode , only one to go , hope we are going to get another series as will miss when finished. Have enjoyed the series and the way the character's have developed. BBC drama at its best. Great acting and filming. Would recommend to anyone who loves police period drama, as good as Sherlock .

5.0 out of 5 stars Victorian detective drama - dirt and all...., 29 Jan 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street [DVD] (DVD)
Having followed this series intently so far, and having read the current reviews on Amazon, I have come to the definite conclusion that purchasing this series on DVD is a must for me. I've always been a sucker for a Victorian Detective - firstly with various TV and film incarnations of Sherlock Holmes [even tho he is a 'consulting' detective] and then with the TV series 'Sergeant Cork' in the 1960s and 'Sergeant Cribb' in the 1980s.
These could be classed as the 'original' Victorian detective dramas I suppose although Victorian London did seem a bit on the clean side...
Ripper Street is every bit as good as these previous series were, plus I think it shows a more realistic version of Victorian London - grey, filthy, violent and awash with drink and drugs in some areas. Yet in the middle of all that we get glimpses of things to come and promises of a better future, tho not for everyone.
Not much different from the 21st century in some ways, when you think about it!
If you're into Victorian detectives then I happily recommend this series.

4.0 out of 5 stars Our greater purpose is entertainment, 16 July 2014
orvuus (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ripper Street [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
A lot of us viewers of historically-based dramatic TV, for lack of a better term, are fascinated by the ability of the writers and directors to immerse us in a certain time period. Ripper Street does this very well, although it slips up a bit, and I found myself churning through the entire set over several nights. The series assumes one is familiar with the broader facts of the Whitechapel setting and famous persons of the time, which is perfectly understandable. I believe Chief Inspector Reid's back story comes about a bit too unwillingly, and therefore almost makes me lose my "belief" in the story. It is curious too, how much is left to the imagination regarding his relationship with his wife in later episodes. The language is well matched to the time period, except for the Americans. Yep, I'm an American, and I don't understand why all the English (and Irish and Jewish and etc.) characters speak in a kind of older language often using stilted phrases, and the American doctor speaks in perfectly modern-day American drawl. The character has no regional dialect, which would have been quite pronounced at that time in certain regions, and would have been as prone to speak in a different manner from his contemporaries as the other characters. Sometimes, too, anachronisms (in reverse? not sure there is such a term) creep in, such as the term "reverse engineered," which apparently did not arise until 1973 or so.
Excuse the verbose qualms, because although I wish the story line could be strengthened I believe it is a fascinating series. The Order of the Golden Dawn, Edison, Joseph Merrick (the Elephant Man), the Underground, and various other fascinating events and persons appear in a delightfully well done manner. Too bad they can't be consulted on the George Chapman killings and make their way to America! All in all a very enjoyable series, and it looks beautiful on blu ray and has subtitles for stone deaf people like myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Ripper Street [DVD] (DVD)
Ever since the first episode aired, I've been hooked to this series!

The way each episode is written is gripping and the three main characters (The Inspector, Drake, and Jackson)
are so well developed and form an awesome trio.

Can't wait for the dvd to come out as I've been watching the episodes repeatedly on BBC Iplayer.
Fingers crossed for a second season too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Escapism, 25 Feb 2013
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Ripper Street [DVD] (DVD)
Forget about your worries and woes and watch this exciting and gripping series. This isn't perfect by any means but it has those great ingredients, action, violence, and pure escapism. Set some time shortly after the 'Jack the Ripper' killings have come to a close, this is based around the environs of Whitechapel.

As the police and detectives go about solving crimes, with the help of a mysterious Pinkerton agent as a forensic doctor they always have Abberline looking over their shoulders hoping to still catch 'The Ripper'.

With stories that involve murder, human trafficking, greed and violence, etc., there is a lot to take in, along with secrets and dodgy dealings. With the police using violence in interrogations and trickery to extort confessions and information this is old time action all the way. I think on this as 'The Sweeney' 19th Century style. With the main characters we also get background information and stories, making them more dimensional and easier to relate to.

All in all this is a well rounded crime costume drama that is fun to watch and offers pure entertainment and escapism. And in case you weren't aware, another series has been commissioned. With violent crimes in a historical setting this is well worth watching.

Ripper Street [DVD]
Ripper Street [DVD] by Colm McCarthy (DVD - 2013)
11.74