5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of technology
Published 8 months ago by A35SC

Published 2 months ago by Maximus

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of technology, 5 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Roberts Blutune100 DAB/DAB+/FM/CD/Bluetooth Sound System (Electronics)
I purchased this unit after reading reviews on the previous Roberts 100 models. I have found that it meets all my expectations, both the FM and DAB reception are outstanding even on the telescopic whip antenna. The CD player is very user friendly and plays CDs from my classical music collection faultlessly. The sound reproduction from such a small enclosure is quite remarkable, more so with the equaliser in the 'classical' setting. The unit is sited on a book shelf in our kitchen and replaces a three piece separate mini Hi Fi. As yet I have not yet used the Bluetooth facility but if it functions as well as the rest the facilities it should be more than satisfactory. I cannot fault this brilliant piece of technology.
However, the explanation on page 22 of the manual of how to input "pre-sets" into the memory is somewhat unclear and ambiguous. I had to contact Roberts to clarify, the manual should read as follows:
" Once the required station is tuned, then press and hold the pre-set button until 'pre-set store' is displayed before you select the pre-set memory in which you wish to store the station. Then a quick press of the pre-set button will input the station into your chosen pre-set memory".
This annoying ambiguity is featured in previous 100 series manuals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cant fault this fantastic sound system at all, 17 Aug. 2014
Sakazoke "Mermaid-Lover" (Monkton UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Cant fault this fantastic sound system at all. Its good value for money, the quality of the sound is perfect, its very easy indeed to set up, and it looks true Roberts quality. If you want the best then buy this. Beats BOSE any day. I can say this as i have both now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb purchase, 6 Sept. 2014
Nigel Jones (Surbiton, UK) - See all my reviews
Fantastic sound and looks good too! Easy to set up, picks up loads of DAB stations. It's difficult to believe that such a big sound can come from something so small! I highly recommend this radio/CD player.

4.0 out of 5 stars On the whole I find it great. I do find the instruction book a bit ..., 11 Jan. 2015
I bought this dab radio for the kitchen/ conservatory. This the first time I've had a dab radio because we could not receive it in this area till recently. On the whole I find it great. I do find the instruction book a bit complicated but got there in the end. The tone is good and it is what I expect from a quality radio, I listen mainly to Classic FM. It picks up local radio well but still can't pick up BBC Leicester which is about thirty miles from Northampton but this could be due to a cluster of stations almost on the same frequency, this makes no difference to me but my partner supports LC so was a little disappointed he couldn't pick it up, I however don't think this is anything to do with this radio.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, BUT Sound Quality & User Interface Let It Down Badly, 28 Jan. 2015
Maximus (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have respect for Roberts and their heritage as a British company, and I'm already a long term existing customer of theirs. So, I was eagerly awaiting delivery of this Blutune 100 sound system. I'd been attracted by some positive comments and the rather lovely looking design of the unit itself. In the flesh it really does look very good indeed - sleek, beautifully curved and in a lovely colour combination of graphite and dark wood grain. To my eye it's a modern 60's inspired Scandinavian retro look that I very much approve of. And then I plugged it in and my problems began.

Yes, the sound is big, I'll give it that much. At times though it's a touch too big for the box. Low frequencies pack physical punch, which is why decent sub woofers are big hefty objects built from thick and highly braced dense timber. The Blutune is a slender wee thing that tries to hang on for dear life and contain the pounding, but ultimately loses its grip. It can distort, and I found that the abundant low frequencies tend to swamp the rather more constrained higher ones.

As noted by some others the "neutral" sound out of the box, with bass and treble both in mid position, is awful. In fact it sounds like you're listening to the thing whilst it's still inside the packaging it arrived in. It's terribly muffled with thin mid range and virtually no treble. Job one is to turn down the bass and hike the treble up to max, and this is a worrying sign.

Actually achieving a tone adjustment is stupidly complicated too. A traditional set would have had two rotary knobs marked "bass" and "treble" giving simple and direct access to infinite tone control. Yes, those top mounted push buttons look sleek, but as a user interface it isn't the most ergonomic. Frustration mounts when having to tackle mode dependent sub menus involving between six to nine separate button presses (none of which are labelled bass or treble) just to alter the tone. Errors are made easier by the button sequence changing depending on what the set is doing at the time and the user is spun off into some other sub menu or mode. It's just bad design, and it makes using this set unnecessarily complex. I'm confident that Roberts could design something more user friendly and intuitive.

To add to the frustration, wrangling the sound into something approaching acceptable is a job that regularly needs doing because the output seems to be very sensitive to the type of sound you're listening to. Voice, rock music, D&B, opera, acoustic, classical and most other genres in my eclectic listening mix all need different settings here. The setup that sounds okay-ish for one genre sounds poor for another. And this really is a sign of a major flaw. Unless the unit I received was a rogue one it tells me that Roberts need to go away and upgrade the amp in this unit and re-map the frequency response. Keep the great design visuals by all means, but get the bit that really matters right - the sound and the usability! As it stands this Blutune is woefully lacking in mid range clarity and there's little high end bight, the latter being particularly noticeable for speech or classical music. A more capable and stable amp stage would improve matters tremendously and remove the need for constant adjustment too.

I really did try very hard indeed to like this music centre, but I'm afraid it defeated me despite my best efforts to give it love. I suspect it suffers from the current obsession with "mega" bass at the expense of everything else. If all you want to listen to is music that goes DOOF DOOF DOOF with a bit of distortion thrown in then this may well work for you, but for anything else - well, there's considerable room for improvement and other manufacturers are vying for your money.

So as a result of all this malarkey I returned my Blutune as being sonically unstable and less than engaging to listen to. I really do hope Roberts get these issues sorted though because if they can I'll be first in line to buy a Blutune. The concept, visual design and form factor are all excellent - it's just a shame about the poor sonic performance. Until that's upgraded I sadly cannot recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive and the perfect set of features., 31 Dec. 2014
I bought this for my mother to replace a broken DAB radio that was about 10 years old. This is a massive step up in terms of sound quality, speed of operation (specifically changing channels) and ease of use. My mother has an iPad and likes to listen to the BBC radio app for catch up content. With the Blutune, via Bluetooth, the overall experience is fantastic. Of course the sound quality compared the iPad speakers is way better but it's the way the iPad and the Blutune integrate that's so impressive. Firstly it pairs quickly as soon as you switch to bluetooth and then the display on the unit shows the name of the programme you are playing on the iPad. The play/pause button on the unit operates the iPad (at least for the BBC radio app). Additionally, the USB charger allows convenient charging. If you have Spotify or Napster etc, or a DLNA player app, then it makes a great complement to your phone or iPad. Other features such as AUX in and CD work very well (for those stuck in the '90s). DAB and FM reception noticeably better than our other DAB and FM radios. The telescopic aerial can even be taken off to allow a coax connection. A very well thought out, high quality package.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 16 Sept. 2014
Surprisingly good for for a small unit. Crystal clear sound with a very good range even at high volume. I have spent a lot of money on hi-fi equipment in the past and this is almost as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a lovely design and fabulous sound, 1 Jan. 2015
This Blutone was a gift to a friend for his birthday. The sounds is amazing. We are both delighted with it. I would recommend it to anyone considering getting a new digital radio with CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Sept. 2014
Really good DAB radio and all the functions are excellent. Lovely sound/depth and quality to the unit. Highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding value and tremendous sound, 2 Jan. 2015
Bookie (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
What a cracking unit! It's compact, easy to set up and has great sound and looks. I wanted a small sound system; no additional speakers and was tempted by the Bose soundwave, but wanted to hear it before spending hundreds of pounds. I spotted the Roberts Blutone and it seemed to fit the bill. A quick price check showed that the Amazon reduction was genuine and I took a gamble. I'm delighted.

Out of the box, it was up and running within a few minutes. And I'm no techie. The comprehensive instruction booklet ( I still find it easier to have a printed copy to hand when setting up a new gadget) was easy to follow. The unit looks and feels substantial. I particularly like the wood casing; it makes a change from plastic and has a smooth feel and retro look The sound, with a little adjustment to the graphic equaliser, is far better than I'd hoped for. CDs, Bluetooth and DAB are all brilliant and it's easy to switch between modes. I've had far worse sound quality from more expensive systems with 'quality' speakers, so to have everything wrapped up in a compact bundle that sits on a unit is fabulous. The screen is bright and clear. It's easy to read from a distance and track or tuning details scroll across the display. Highly recommended

Roberts Blutune100 DAB/DAB+/FM/CD/Bluetooth Sound System