Colour Name: black|Change

Colour Name: black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impressions of this item were very good, it is sturdy, tactile and definitely has the wow factor with the faux leather and shiny gold/brass logo and fittings. It looks much better than the pictures and you can imagine this being lovingly crafted by a pair of old boys in brown coats in a workshop in the Cotswolds. Probably not but it's nice to dream and the finished article with its royal crest would not look out of place in Kensington Palace or the library at Chartwell. Opening the case to insert 4 x D batteries spoils the illusion slightly with the MDF type material on show but it's still a bit of theatre with the blingy brass clasp seemingly inviting you in to have a good look around.

Setup was fairly straight forward - being of the bloke variety the substantial (and all English) manual was put to one side and I went into full DAB-ble mode. Left dial is on/off and volume, the right dial for navigating menus and selecting items. DAB was the easiest; the station scan being very quick and pre-setting 10 favourites is nice and easy. Internet radio next was also ok - if your wi-fi router is WPS enabled as most now are pairing them up was quick and much more preferable to entering the code using the dials. However it does have a tendency to forget the wi-fi setting and so you may find yourself having to repeat the process which can be irritating

Sound is crisp and clear on both, very good in fact and I love all the info provided such as song title/artist etc on the easy to read LCD. There are plenty of settings to play with including preset equalizer modes for pop/jazz etc but like me you will probably leave it on normal. All bases are covered with DAB+ compatibility and FM included too but I'm yet to bother with that as my DAB signal is good enough.

This was the good but the much vaunted Spotify feature is not as good as it sounds. For a start you need a device (phone/tablet) running Spotify with a paid-for premium account (£9.99 per month) to enable connection from your phone or tablet. Managing your playlists from thereon in is a bit of a nightmare though the excellent manual does help. To be honest a tablet/phone and a portable (and rechargeable) Bluetooth speaker is a far more simple and elegant way of using the excellent Spotify on the move. Using this is like going back to DOS (ask your dad) after years of Windows. It seems like the company was determined to shoe-horn in new features but into an old style interface and the result leaves a lot to be desired unfortunately.

The USB slot on top works fine however - it played my MP3s but note is does not support an external hard disk. Media streaming works fine with Windows 7 and 8. For Vista and older versions you will need extra DNLA software.

Ultimately it is a beautiful radio that sounds and looks very nice and if it was £100 for the DAB/internet radio alone I would recommend it however, at twice that for additional features that are quite clumsy to use I would balk at that price.

Good :
Looks
Sound
Internet radio built in
Excellent manual

Bad:
Spotify requires an external device and a premium account
Awkward interface for advanced features
Doesn't always remember wi-fi connection
Non-standard plug
Boot up from power-off is slow
Expensive
No built in battery charger unlike a lot of other Roberts radios
on 22 July 2014
Colour Name: black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Roberts radios have advanced a fair way over the last few years, and this new iSteam2 is up there with most in terms of style and features.

Set-up of the DAB stations is very quick and the range of stations is very good. I live in an area where the DAB reception isn't fantastic but the signal seems stronger in comparison to an older Roberts model. The radio picks up the DAB stations quickly when turned-on with little or no drop of signal.

Set-up of the internet connection was a little hap-hazard - It took several attempts to connect, with no discernible reason. In comparison to the DAB stations, the connection time to the internet stations is somewhat longer. And compared to another internet radio I use (Monitor Airstream 10) the connection speed is slow.

Aesthetically, the unit still has the Roberts retro look. The faux-leather has a slightly cheap feel to it, as do some of the other materials used - namely the handle clasps and front grill (could these not have been metal?).

Sound quality is decent, but compared to the Monitor unit (perhaps not a fair comparison) it is somewhat lacking.

For near-on £200 I'd expect a more polished package, the materials and sound quality are not the best - there are better options out there for the money. Having said that, the retro looks will win may people over and it will be just good enough to be a winner.
on 6 January 2016
Worked well in the first week but now the screen has pixilated, faded writing. Have emailed Roberts Radio who have suggested I contact the supplier. Will investigate an exchange.
on 21 September 2014
It looks like an old fashioned radio with one knob on the left, one knob on the right und a scale in the middle. But it is a real modern Radio with a very good sound. Installation was easy and all functions are given. RDS sensitiveness is very good. I use Ni-MH accus as power supply.
on 1 September 2015
Although mine was a dud, there was no problem in returning it and getting a refund. Internet would only work within 2 metres. batteries ran out in less than a day even though mostly used on the mains. It looks like I got a dud. A lot of money for a fashion statement. Sound was not brilliant either. I suggest you go for the 93i (works brilliantly) or a SONOS - good sound but is mains only (as is the 93i).
Colour Name: black|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an excellent little radio; smart-looking, easily portable, and with first class tone (we listen to a lot of classical music, so this is important). We needed another radio for the kitchen, which is situated in the basement, and our previous (digital) radio often had poor or interrupted reception, especially while other electrical appliances were being used. No such problems with this one, which has perfect reception.That's the good news.

But we found it quite tricky to programme our favourite stations (probably our inadequacy), but more to the point, having recently connected to Spotify, we were looking forward to using it downstairs as well aslin our living room. Sadly, the instructions informed us that the radio has to be situated with 10-20 metres of the access point in order for this to work, and our access point is three floors up. So do be aware of this if you wish to connect to Spotify.We haven't yet exploited all the other possibilites of this multi-function radio, but are looking forward to doing so. I intend to update this review in the future.

In summary, probably the best radio we have yet had, although since we cannot access Spotify unless we move it to another part of the house, it might not have been our first choice. It is expensive, but if you want to use all its functions (and are able to access them) it's probably worth the money. Recommended.
44 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 September 2015
Only had it 3days when the led screen went blank.On some occasions it would just switch it's self off for no apparent reason.The reception is absolutely shocking and for such an EXPENSIVE HIGH END PRODUCT it really is poor.They say you get what you pay for well not on this occasion and i would say,stay well clear of this radio.
on 7 August 2014
My Father owned the original version of this radio about fifty years ago. The colour of his radio was a deep red. I would have dearly loved the same colour, but it is not available alas. I was very happy with the sound quality of the original radio and this one sounds the same.

I live in Spain and I have really missed not being able to listen to Radio 4 in the mornings when having a shower and getting ready for the day. I am now one happy bunny as this radio picks up the wifi all around the house and am now able to enjoy my start to the day.

I've always enjoyed radio, because it enables me (using rechargeable batteries) to carry the radio from room to room whilst doing the housework, decorating, cooking etc. Those mundane jobs are now not so much of a chore.

I also have added a 32gb micro card with the aid of a flash drive converter that I had lying around and have added around 15gb of music, audio books and relaxation tapes, as well as my teach yourself Spanish audio tapes. Brilliant idea being able to play your own audio.

I have also enjoyed exploring the internet stations available and I am amazed at what I am discovering. It's lovely hearing news from other countries and hearing that news with a different perspective. Quite an eye opener.

I was just a little disappointed that the radio was not entirely made to the design of the original radio in that there is no turntable on the bottom of the radio, which I always found a little quirky on my Father's radio. Also, I was hoping that the radio would have the PP9 battery that the original had as these are still available, cheaper than the new battery arrangement, and rechargeable. So much neater. However, I cannot bring myself to mark this radio down a star. I love it and I would recommend it hugely.

From what I remember of my Father's radio, the first thing to go (after many, many years) is the handle. I wonder if this is replaceable.

I know that I have still not explored all the features of the radio. One day I will get around to exploring the manual.

To those of you who want a radio that will probably last a life time, go buy a Roberts radio - preferably this one.
on 12 February 2016
We took delivery of this a couple of weeks ago (birthday pressie for the wife). here is my feedback

Product set-up.
Incredibly easy. We were listening to internet radio no more than 5 minutes out of the box. It has a slight delay when switching on when it's connecting to the WiFi but only a few seconds. The controls a quite intuitive when you get used to them. Hats off to the people who designed the interface whilst still retaining the retro layout.
FM radio worked well and I also streamed music from my laptop as a test - again worked well and was very easy (good instructions booklet helps).
We only use it for internet radio so I can't comment on DAB

Product Quality
Yes, I know I could have found an internet radio at a third of the price but it would look like a pile of dog doo-doo compared to this. The look of the thing is amazing and it looks well made. I agree with another reviewer that the use of MDF rather than marine ply was disappointing bit none of that shows on the outside.
The sound is really quite good...better than we thought it would be, actually. You can use presets to change the tone and even set your own but we get the best results for voice & music on the "Rock" setting and will be unlikely to mess with it.

Overall we are delighted. We now wake up to the Today programme every morning (yes, it is also a radio alarm). The thing is very rarely switched off.
on 1 November 2014
Having had the overpriced and not very efficient Bose experience with their Soundtouch, I was delighted with this Roberts Internet Radio. Priced well below the Soundtouch, this radio is well built and connects quickly and easily to the internet. The sound quality is good, perhaps less full than the Bose equivalent, but it is a reliable internet radio. Well worth the money. Lovely colour too!