5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, informative and a pleasure to read
I always considered myself a bit of a 'grammar nazi' but at the same time I knew there was a lot I didn't quite know or understand. Not only is this book great for beginners but it also provides the next stepping stone for those who wish to be eloquent and well-spoken.

A must-buy in my opinion.
Published 21 months ago by Ryan Carr

1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but - NO INDEX!
Published 7 months ago by W. J. Herbert

5.0 out of 5 stars Witty, informative and a pleasure to read, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)

A must-buy in my opinion.

1.0 out of 5 stars Interesting but - NO INDEX!, 18 Dec 2013
W. J. Herbert - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
I am not quite sure who this book is for. It is interesting and well written, witty in parts with excellent examples and puzzles to solve. It feels like a course in grammar to be worked through from beginning to end. BUT it says it is for Grown-ups. Grown-ups presumably know some grammar left over from school days and want to brush up on the problems that often arise when writing anything other than text messages. I expected to be able to find what I wanted without searching pages and pages irrelevant to my needs. There is no index which renders it next to useless. My advice is to buy the Kindle version so that individual words can be found.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
It is often hard to tell from the website exactly what a book will be like.
This has some good bits, but misses some issues which I needed to clarify.
It has no index, and the contents page is extremely short, so finding your way around is a little challenging.

5.0 out of 5 stars resource, 11 Sep 2013
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
A super reference resource for all writers. Well laid out and easy to use. This will be my writing companion just to make sure all is correct.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
Excellent guide for proof reading with book also being easy to follow. Great tips and guide on how to write he English language.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to school - a revealing experience!, 29 Oct 2012
D. O'Donnell (Hythe, Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Kindle Edition)
I would recommend this book to anyone who already has a reasonable grasp of English grammar. I believe a beginner might struggle after the first few pages. That's not to say it's dull, far from it. It's actually very absorbing which is more than can be said of the English classes I remember from my distant school days when I managed to achieve a mark of 95% in GCE 'O' Level as it then was. The reason I bought the book at this stage in my life is because I do some copy editing for a local newsletter and felt I needed to make sure I was at the top of my game before applying the blue pencil to other authors' works. I was surprised to discover how much I had forgotten, not least the names of all the tenses: imperfect, past perfect, future perfect, conditional, subjunctive, to name but only a few. Do we really need to know these when trying to express ourselves in the real world? The answer is, yes, I believe we do. It is important for us to be concise in order that we do not not mislead or confuse our readers - politicians and journalists please note! You will learn that 'the green lady's umbrella' is not quite the same as 'the lady with the green umbrella'. This book is a stark reminder of the importance of being understood but it is also entertaining and, let's face it, entertainment makes learning so much easier. To ensure you are absorbing what you are being taught, there are helpful exercises throughout the book and I would advise keeping an exercise book and pencil to hand. I would also advise you to buy the paper book rather than or in addition to the Kindle version as you will find yourself wanting to refer to it from time to time when you are creating your editorial masterpieces. 'Grammar for Grown-ups' lives up to its title. It is not for the faint-hearted but it makes learning fun and I believe everyone should have a copy in their library, if only to help ward off Alzheimer's.

5.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener!, 9 Jan 2013
Ms. M. S. Pawley "Mitzi Lawrie" (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
If you're in to your English Language (as I am) then you should find this book very interesting. It's one of those books where you read something and think "well, I never knew that!" Gave it to my Dad as a stocking filler as he always finds cause to question our Language and he loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent grammar reference, 9 Feb 2013
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Kindle Edition)
I've always had an interest in grammar, but I don't remember being taught much about the rules (and exceptions) at school. I'm fairly good at knowing what "feels" right but I sometimes have a hard time explaining why, so this book is great for me. It fills in those gaps, explaining everything clearly and concisely without a hint of the pomposity and pedantry that is sometimes associated with good grammar.

It's clearly laid out, making it easy to read cover to cover or to dip into as a reference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grammar, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
This is an excellent book, whose only shortcoming is the lack of a subject index, which is the reason why I have not awarded five stars. I like the fact that the authors establish firm grammatical rules that should be followed, e.g. in the case of I/me. I particularly applaud their condemnation of phrases such as "I/He, etc. was sat", "I was stood" (in all its variations), etc., which have no place in the English language and can only be regarded as an indication of cultural decline. In contrast to the writings of certain journalists - in particular Oliver Kamm of The Times, who postulates that if enough people speak incorrect English then the incorrect use should become the new received English - I consider adherence to clear grammatical rules to be essential for the proper comprehension of spoken and written English and, consequently, for any meaningful communication on a private or business level.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of interesting nuggets, but a missed opportunity too!, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Grammar for Grown-ups (Hardcover)
A beautifully bound book, but does it deserve a place on your library shelf, or will it eventually be passed on to a friend or charity shop? It contains an odd mixture, beginning with grammar and punctuation. Some topics are covered well, while others are rushed. The section on the punctuation of direct speech is almost definitive, one of the best I've ever read. However, their explanation of the gerund differs from any other I have seen, and even the examples they give look wrong to me. Tenses are neatly presented in a table, but important concepts like the participle are glossed over in a flash. Annoyingly, the book contradicts its own title by appending school-style exercises to each section--I wonder how many "grown-ups" will bother with these. Even school books, nowadays, shy away from this patronising technique in favour of comprehensive examples to illustrate the points being made.

From here on in the book struggles to find its identity. Sections on local vocabulary and spelling for the U.S. and other parts of the world are interesting but feel out of place. Who is this book for? It contains lots of interesting nuggets but falls short as a definitive guide to style and usage, lacking purpose, structure and proportion. Without doubt its greatest failing is the lack of an index. Even the contents page is a mere single leaf containing the page numbers of the six sections. A comprehensive index is an essential part of any reference work, and its absence in this case defines the book as an interesting curiosity, rather than one to keep and treasure. I have long craved a single definitive volume that covers grammar, punctuation, style and usage, comprehensive yet not too pedantic or academic. Sadly, my search continues.

Grammar for Grown-ups