5.0 out of 5 stars Here We Go Again!, 11 Sep 2012
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
This is the third time I've bought this title, yet each listen feels like the first time. It's such a great record, I'm almost speechless. What is so fascinating about Nelson is that you can clearly hear him developing over each recording, adding more and more, and simply getting better. Oh for the late 70's, huh?

So rather than comment too much on music that will well known to many, what about this release? Well, first things is first - the sound. I'd say this sounds like a ne remaster, with a similar sheen to the recently remastered Be Bop Deluxe albums, but perhaps my ears are lying, because the booklet credits the "1999 Remaster". Nowhere does it suggest this is a newly mastered release - and I guess they would make a big deal if it had been. So there you go, it's the 1999 disc for the main body of work.

However, what is new is all the bonus stuff. The jewels are the four tracks from the BBC, which are simply great. They're worth the price of admission alone. Add in the more Ska influenced B Sides, and you have a lot of "new" stuff to savour. It's all worthy.

Finally, the booklet. It's an 8 page affair, with a long(ish) article from Julian Cope (actually an excerpt from a book he's written). It's a fun read, with lots of kudos from the Arch Druid. No lyrics this time around, but we do get some new stills from the time, including the band in the suits they wore of Old Grey Whistle Test and additional ones in the session used for the original back cover.

Talking of covers - they're made a slight change to the original. Not so sure about that, but it does serve to make this stand out from previous editions.

Look - this music is great. They're gone the extra mile with the bonus material - so they got my money. No regrets, and in fact I'm over the moon. Wonder if I'll ever have to buy this again?

5.0 out of 5 stars digging in the good stuff with unexpected material, 29 Aug 2012
as "as" (dilbeek ,Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
I've already made a review of "Sound On Sound" for the 1999 remasters CD ,in which I prayed for a new rendition of this wonderful opus together with the Sheffield live album and the B-sides of "Furniture Music". Harvest has heared my prayer , at least for the B-sides.
For what concerns the lives tracks, we find here the 2 live tracks , which appeared on the B-side of 12" revolt into style but above this, we are receiving an unhoped gift: a BBC session with 4 tracks "furniture music", "stay young" , "don't touch me" and "out of touch", which are recorded more than properly.
The "Furniture Music" quasi-live bersion of this BBC session would nearly make forget the recent live version from last Bill Nelson's DVD.
That's what I call real good stuff.After having bought the mp3 version,I had to get my hands on the physical CD.....
Now that I've bought the CD album once again, I've seen that the five red noise members are credited on the whole album but in fact they did not participate to all the tracks of this album. Bill played some drums and some basses on several of the tracks
here is the composition of the Red Noise band per track:
side one
don't touch me I'm electric :bill nelson,andy clark,ian nelson, rick ford
for young moderns: bill nelson,andy clark,rick ford
stop/go/stop: bill nelson,andy clark,ian nelson,rick ford
furniture music: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford
radar in my heart: bill nelson,andy clark, ian Nelson
stay young: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford
side two
out of touch: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford,ian nelson
a better home in the phantom zone:bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford, ian nelson, dave mattacks
substitute flesh: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford, ian nelson, dave mattacks
the atom age: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford,ian nelson
art/empire industry: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford, ian nelson, dave mattacks
revolt into style: bill nelson,andy clark, rick ford,ian nelson, dave mattacks

I had the intention to write all the lyrics as well (included on the vinyl), but suffered from a serious loss of nerve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Third time lucky..., 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
Finally this seminal recording from Bill Nelson created from the ashes of Be-Bop Deluxe has the release it deserves, the first time this collection was released on CD I think it was in the Mid -eighties this was only in America and had the first 14 tracks that are on this pressing, I have only ever seen a copy of it once.

In 1999 Harvest came close to making my Year with the second release of this album on CD and for the first time in the U.K. and now with re-mastered sound but with only the original 12 songs that the vinyl release contained and had none of the B-sides from the 2 singles that were released, and now hurray this third pressing on CD has 20 tracks 4 of which have never been released before.

Comparing pressing number 2 with number 3 I found that the 2012 transfer of the 1999 re-master has better sound with more attack and a better sounding rhythm section and Andy Clark's keyboard sound is re-born highly recommended...

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but grating....., 21 Feb 2013
Smitty Werbenjaegermanjensen (real name) (Thread rehab facility 37) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
Essential purchase form an amazing one album band led by the incredibly talented musician, Bill Nelson. This band was formed after Bill felt that Be Bop Deluxe had reached the end of their time and felt the need to change direction, something hinted at strongly in a couple of tunes on the Drastic Plastic album.

So here it is, basically everything that the band did, the studio album, b-sides of singles and live recordings done for the BBC Friday Rock Show. Only the Old Grey Whistle Test stuff is missing, that I know of.

The original album has been remastered, the reason for me docking a star, and expanded, which is why it is an essential purchase.

The remastering was done by Peter Mew back in 1999, yep read the small print and this is how long ago this project has lain in the can. The remastering sounds harsh in comparison to the original cd issue on Cocteau(which I bought after hearing this) and sounds best in the car. Unfortunately it can be a bit wearing on a decent stereo, unlike the Cocteau version, which does not have the over accentuated sibilant top end.

The material added to beef out the album is all top notch and well worth getting this version for. The band were really something special in concert, with a real drummer behind the skins, and not a machine as the album has on all but 2 tracks, they really punch a powerful blow, taking the studio tracks into new and more interesting places. it is a pity that the entire De Montford Hall gig has never been released, although I imagine the master tapes must be lying somewhere waiting........

So, a superb album, albeit with issues, served up with magnificent side order of live all adds up to a winner. Worth 4 and 1/2 stars if I could give it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album ever got better, 2 July 2013
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
Had the original version - this has some bonus live tracks and BBC sessions. In my view it's the formative album of the 70's for post punk/electronic/new wave music.

It's just utterly, utterly brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars newave classic, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
This album is sheer class...
Don't touch me opens the album up and love the extra track acquitted by mirrors and the two singles are furniture music and revolt into style which are brilliant too.
if you like wacky and zany,then listen to my favourite newave album white music and the follow up album Go2 by the underated XTC

5.0 out of 5 stars Art, Empire, Industry or a Revolution of Style, 10 Oct 2014
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (MP3 Download)
A truly excellent revision of a brilliant album that was years ahead of its time. Bill Nelson managed to blend the styles of reggae, rock, electronic music and round it all off with an injection of the energy of punk. A wonderful soundtrack for all our dystopian dreams and nightmares of the late 70s. Truly a forgotten classic that remains as fresh, aggressive and energetic now as it did on its first release following on from the demise of Be Bop Deluxe. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars fine, 11 July 2014
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
a fine electronic rock album if you like john foxx or later gary numan this is for you
I have this on vinyl and the original cd, I'm waiting for the price to come down
before I buy this 'coloured' version for the bonus tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Not so Banal, 5 Jun 2014
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (Audio CD)
This man is a genius , also takes me back to my youth when I played the vinyl to death.

5.0 out of 5 stars A quick blast from the past, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: Sound-On-Sound (MP3 Download)
Loved it when I was a kid and rediscovered it again recently brilliant, nice to see some the older stuff available again

Sound-On-Sound