I need more Daemon and Katy like I need air. This is not an exaggeration... I have read many books in my life and almost all of them include some form of love interest but I have honestly never read a series of books where the two main characters are so electric together. Again, this is not an exaggeration.

The story picks up exactly where Obsidian left off,...
Published 22 months ago by Christine

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read
Obsidian - book one - already provided adequate proof that author's writing as addictive. There are certain niggles I simply can't be bothered to harp on about, because these books have become my guilty pleasure!

Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars "If there is anything, there is us. You and me. No one else.", 23 Sep 2012
This review is from: Onyx (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)

The story picks up exactly where Obsidian left off, which I love. It annoys me when a series jumps months or years between books. Daemon is still the same hot and moody alien that we fell in love with in Obsidian. Katy is still the same book loving book blogger who is torn in her feelings for Daemon, but really who is she trying to fool? Dee was still her quirky, fun self and I still love her. There is also an introduction of a new character, Blake. He is the new guy at school and it doesn't take long for him to start getting closer to Katy and for him to reveal that he has a lot more in common with her than she knows. Much to Daemon's protests they start to spend a lot more time together. Blake and Daemon's interactions are hilarious. Daemon can not stand the guy and he refuses to call him by his proper name. Here are a few of the names that Daemon calls him...

Flake, Biff, Bart, Hank, Brad, Butler, Ben, Bobo, Bartholomew, Butter-Face, Bradley and Bill

And that is not even all of them, this was just the list I started making after the whole thing was cracking me up. Daemon was so matter of fact about the names. He just slides them into the conversation and never skips a beat. It drove Blake insane, it made me laugh... many times!

As many times as I smiled and laughed there are also plenty of intense and even sad moments. Jennifer has such a beautiful way of writing and you really are sucked into the story. You are there with them while the events are unfolding. You are yelling at the book, you are smiling, you are crying. If you are out in public people will think you are crazy. One moment you will have a smile that is so far stretched across your face they will think you have just won the lottery. Then within minutes they will see your smile fade and will hear you mumbling to yourself as you try to speak to the characters. Then a small smirk will appear on your face as the scene ends and you know that very soon you will be experiencing all of those emotions again. It is a wonderful feeling.

There was so much action in this book. Everything was up, down and all around. There were so many times when I thought "Man, that has to be the big finale right?!" Only to be so very happy to see what % I was on and to find further chapters awaiting me. Then another big scene would come and I would think the same thing only to find I again still had more to read. I can not explain how much I did not want this book to end. Sadly it did, however... WOW what an ending!! I cried. I am not ashamed to say this, I cried and it was well justified. December 11th can not come soon enough for me. I will do everything within my power to try to get my hands on an advanced copy of Opal but if I can't I have already booked the release day off from work so that I can stay at home to do nothing but read it.

I can not recommend the Lux series more than I already have in my reviews. I have forced three of my friends to start reading them and I have no doubt they will love them as much as I do. So please if this type of story sounds even a tiny bit intriguing to you, do not hesitate to read them. You will not be disappointed.

Christine
Rainy Day Reads
[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read!, 14 Aug 2012
Book Passion for Life (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
Oh, holy alien babies everywhere......this book is AMAZING!

I'm running out of ways to tell you how amazing this author's work really is because Onyx really does not disappoint. It's thrilling, heart-pounding and just as explosive as Obsidian - if not even better and it will leave you wanting more and more!

Onyx starts pretty much where Obsidian finishes. Katy is trying to move on with her life but it's hard when she has Daemon Black trying to win her over at every turn. Katy is convinced that Daemon is only interested in her because of the connection they now share, so when new boy Blake turns up - showing his interest in Katy, she is happy with the attention she is getting from him but, can she really forget her feelings for Daemon?

Not only does Katy have to deal with boy drama but she also has to deal with the consequences from Daemon healing her and they are truly life changing for her. Struggling to deal, Katy tries to solve things on her own but is she only making things worse? And can she really protect the ones she loves?

Yes, it's safe to say I have fallen in love with another book by this author and she really does know how deliver a fantastic storyline that keeps you sitting on the edge of seat from excitement. It's action packed all the way through, with enough descriptions to make you really feel like your with the characters and this book is seriously HOT! The temperature goes up a whole new level and the scenes between Daemon and Katy do not disappointment.

The characters this time around grow so much. Katy becomes a lot stronger, even though she is still her funny and witty self, the changes that happen to her force her to become someone stronger. She trains hard and really tried her best to become Daemon's equal. Even though they aren't the perfect couple, Daemon really tries his hardest to win Katy over. You see a side of him that you have never seen before and it will seriously leave you girls wishing you had you're very own Daemon Black. He's even more swoon-worthy and totally steals the show.

All in all, Onyx is a fantastic sequel and the author has done a fantastic job by adding the right amount of excitement, romance and suspense to the story, and of course I can't forget to mention one VERY shocking part of the story that will leave you breathless. Jennifer has definitely raised the bar for Opal which will be released in December 2012 and I seriously cannot wait.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, 4 Jan 2013
This review is from: Onyx (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)

The romance is sizzling, and while I'm usually not one for overblown romance, this one steals my attention because it's wonderfully balanced with a ton of action. Admittedly, there are elements of the plot that made me think 'surely 'x' character could so easily have done 'y' in order to prevent 'z'... but then of course there would be no story, so I put my critique hat away, settled myself back in my chair and simply enjoyed the ride.

In this book, the main character, Katy, is finally together with Daemon...well not really, but sort of, because he's no longer pushing her away, but are his feelings real or did they develop overnight due to the strange bond they now share? Katy doesn't want to be wanted accidentally, cue her pushing him away and an extra bit of tension when Blake, a new and mysterious boy, enters the scene.

Love triangle aside, Katy sees someone who ought to be dead...sparking hope and also bringing about the realization that the DOD has been lying to the Luxen community.

In book one, we discovered Obsidian can help the Luxen fight the Arum, and in this book we discover how the properties of Onyx affect Luxen's...as someone who likes onyx I was most annoyed by the actions of one of my favourite semi-precious gems! ;-)

Overall: A mix of sci-fi, rom-com and action-adventure, mean that Onyx is - like the first book - a page-turner.

Favourite quote: "It had insta-love, the bane of my existence. Girl sees boy and falls in love. Immediately. Soul mate, breath stealing, toes curling, love after one conversation. Boy pushes girl away for some paranormal reason or another. Girl still loves boy. Boy finally admits love."
― Jennifer L. Armentrout, Onyx

I think the author has a wonderful tongue in cheek style...let's see girl falls for great looks of guy instantly, but put off by his bad behaviour which is due to paranormal reason... :)

5.0 out of 5 stars INTENSE SEQUEL, 24 Oct 2012
L. Sims "Linda" (The south) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
In this edition the follow-up to Obsidian: Lux Series, Book 1 (A Lux Novel), the plot thickens. Daemon and Katy continue to star at the heart of this story. Daemon is still the sexy and moody alien. While Katy though she feels deeply for Daemon, still tries to keep him at arms length. There is a new character introduced in this in the form of a new boy at school. Blake makes his interest in Katy obvious, much to Daemon's annoyance. I thought it was funny the way Daemon never got Blake's name right, calling him by a variety of others, such as Flake, Biff, Boff, and so it went on.

The memory of Dawson and Bethany lingers, and is a constant reminder of the danger for a Lux to become involved with a human.
Though there are dramatic moments here, there are some really fun ones as well. Overall I think that this is probably even better than "Obsidian" IMO. It has a far more detailed and interesting plot. Can hardly wait for the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great follow up., 20 Oct 2012
The Demon Librarian (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
You know what I love about Onyx? You know how sometimes when a series starts out really well, with a toe-curling, grin-inducing, squee-worthy budding romance that you're all jumpy-up-and-down excited about? But then the sequel comes, and for some reason or other (probably to eek out as many books for the series as possible) they often make the hero just... go away for a bit. Maybe by having the couple have a big bust up fight or something. And then he'll be absent for most of the book and your heroine will be moping about.... Which is okay, I guess, if you want to go down that route, but it's always a bit of a let down after all the build up in the first book.

But oh ho ho ho nooo. Not in this case, my old sausage. This was so jam-packed full of Daemon Black I don't think he could have possibly been in it more if he tried! And my, my did he make good use of his page time. *grin*

If you want to know who to thank for the inordinate amount of Daemon worshipping we were allowed to do in this book, her name is Liz Pelletier, the editor, who demanded more of him (who wouldn't?) be put in. G'head and put her on your Christmas list.

I can't be bothered going over the plot in my review--and let's face it, I think I've told you all you really needed to know about it--but I'll just say that it was better and more elaborate than the first. Katy was a bit too indecisive and hypocritical at times, even when Daemon was trying really hard to be nice, but she's still a great protagonist and I still think she rocks. And he had a lot to make up for, I suppose...

Now why the heck did I read them so far before Opal comes out I ask you? WHY?

4 Stars ★★★★

5.0 out of 5 stars JLA has done it again!, 13 July 2014
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
OK so I have come out of my very emotional state to write this review. I swear by the time this series is over I am going to be left huddled in a corner somewhere trying to come to terms with all these emotions that I am feeling.

I LOVE anything written by Jennifer. Anything she has written, I want to read, no matter what it's about. She is just an amazing author.
So onto Onyx. Well. There is so much to say about this book. Ok so first lets talk about the plot. There is no shortage of action here as we are taken on one crazy ride. There were so many twist and turns that you were lucky if were able to hold on for the whole ride. We are introduced to some new characters and you are left wondering if some of them are friend or foe. What we learn about the DOD and in turn about Katy's connection with Daemon will have you clutching the pages to find out how it's all gonna end. There were so any times where I was left stuck between wanting to throw the book across the room or to put it in the freezer. Near the end I didn't want to continue because I was scared to find out of how it would end. Either way I was left an emotional wreck with my heart breaking and my cheeks wet with tears of sadness. How could you do this to me Jennifer?? Why would you do something like that?? (People who have read the book will probably know what I'm referring to).

Now on to Katy. I love this girl, I really do. Mainly cause she's a blogger and has as big an obsession with books as I do. But I also love her spunk and fiestyness. But my god there were so many times during Onyx that I wanted to slap her! I just wanted to scream at her "No! Are you crazy?! Don't do that!" Throughout most of the book she keeps going back and forth between telling Daemon how she really feels and saying that he is only interested in her because of the connection. Em HELLO?!? A hot alien is bringing you roses in class and would do anything to protect you and you're debating whether to give in to your feelings? Are you insane?! If I was Katy I would have given in the second Daemon started to show any interest in me. As Daemon would say "Resistance is futile." Also, some of the situations she got herself into could have easily been avoided if she just used her head. For instance, don't get into a car with someone that you don't fully trust or that you think is trying to kill you. Pretty please. It would save us all a lot of of heartache.

And so that brings me on to our favourite alien, my future husband (What? A girl can dream can't she? :P). We get a lot more Daemon action in Onyx, and be warned ladies, your husbands/boyfriends might feel a bit neglected and get a bit jealous while you read this book because it is HOT! There is no shortage of steamy action involving a certain Mr. Black. He is back in all his muscled glory with a sarcastic mouth to rival even my own! :P He is funnier than ever, so do not read in public unless you want people looking at you like you have lost your mind. No seriously. But we also get to see the sweet and caring side to him which just made me fall even more in love with him. Katy really doesn't know how lucky she is. If you ever get tired of her Daemon, I am always here for you ;)

There will be plenty of tears to shed so have the tissues at the ready and be prepared to go on one crazy journey that will leave you begging for more. And after that ending, you will definitely want more. But I'm almost afraid to read Opal now because I know more tears are going to be shed and I don't think my heart can take anymore. So excuse me while I go rock in a corner somewhere, praying that Opal will not leave me a blubbering mess.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 19 April 2014
This review is from: Onyx (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Usually the first book of series are my favourite, but this book was a amazing sequel that lived up to every standard the previous one had set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but obsidian was better, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: Onyx (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
a good read obsidian was way better.... they sexual tension between Kat and daemon is longed out too much... they should of just got together at t g e beginning of the book! so Blake is kind of annoying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Onyx, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: Onyx (Lux Novel) (Paperback)
This series is one of the best I have ever read. Jennifer Armentrout not only writes believable characters and thrill ride stories but also injects a sense of humour that is second to none in all of the books I have read so far :) These books will keep you engaged - I read all of them within 2 weeks :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 30 Jan 2014
This review is from: Onyx (A Lux Novel) (Kindle Edition)
Off to buy the next one this is one of the best series ive read this is not just for the young people I'm 35 and I loved every bit about it

Onyx (A Lux Novel)