5.0 out of 5 stars The original LOTR Risk was great, this one... better!
Published 15 months ago by SFletch

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original risk!!!
My 10 year old bought this with his Birthday money. He was quite disappointed with it. It isn't as challenging as the original game [which he considers himself an expert in].
Published 4 months ago by Felicity Cobley

5.0 out of 5 stars The original LOTR Risk was great, this one... better!, 12 April 2013
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
Thoroughly enjoyed playing LOTR Risk in terms of the original version (without extended game board and content). When I got my hands on this one, couldn't wait to open the box and play it with my mates as I'd been wanting this version for quite a while. I already had the original version and wondered 'should I really spend an additional 30 on purchasing this version when I already have this one?' The answer for me was 'yes!'. I'm a big LOTR fan and it was worth it to me. 3 extra regions (22 additional territories and 2 extra ports- keep them defended!), extra adventure cards (on top of the ones already in the original), extended game play and let's face it... who wouldn't want to take control of the whole of Mordor?

Would definitely recommend to anyone who loves to play Risk and LOTR, you can't miss this opportunity to battle your way across Middle Earth! I think the only thing that would make this game even better would be to have iconic heroes and villains from the films for the good and evil armies (figures). But, you can add your own I suppose!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the original risk!!!, 27 Feb 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Previous played the non-extended version, 11 Feb 2013
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
For many years my wife and two long-term friends have played the older non-extended version of LOTR Risk. We played so much in fact, that the cards have become rather dog-eared, with some recognisable from the back (e.g. the "Boromir" card).

I had hoped to replace our original game, but it went out of production after all the excitement of the films (2001 to 2003) died down, so it was with great excitement that I saw the game re-released to coincide with the production of "The Hobbit". I did not realise on the initial purchase that this game was the extended edition.

Well! All our love of the old game (and more) has re-emerged with the extra territories, cards and rule options. As a game for 4 people, we cannot top it. Presently playing our own version of the rules to save time (we don't do the ring move dice rolls), we are looking forward to a Saturday game where we will play the proper rules.

If you enjoy Risk or earlier LOTR Risk then get this one before it disappears from the shelves again

5.0 out of 5 stars Risk AND Lord of the Rings in one box? What could be better (or geekier)?!, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
Love it! Great concept -- great gameplay of the original board game with the added bonus of the LOTR Middle Earth map, orks and elves. And because I'm now sounding a little sad, I'll end by saying we've enjoyed it as a family (son loved it, although 10-year-old daughter found it less exciting) and it can take some time to finish (which is great too, sorry, I said I'd stop...). Overall, can't wait to play it again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete and incorrectly printed, 15 July 2014
Lardy_One (UK, NZ soon!) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
Game looks good but the one we received in 2013 had printing errors.
The instructions are not complete and game cards have printing errors. As I said in my reply to questions.
This game is incorrectly printed. Some of the evil cards are not properly indicated with shields on the card, the borders are correct but not shields. Withered Heath should be neutral but is marked evil. Unbar is not marked but should be evil and Nurn should be evil but has no border. More importantly, the two territory wild cards (just with unit symbols) are printed with adventure card backs not the territory ones. So the game is not playable as supplied. This problem with printing has been advised to suppliers in the UK since at least early 2013 and I am really annoyed that Amazon were selling it and Hasbro supplying it. See http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/890349/does-my-game-have-right-cards
Gonna try to get some new cards as was a present for my son in NZ. :(

4.0 out of 5 stars Good With a Little Editing, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
As a person familiar with the classic RISK, I was expecting this game to have exactly the same rules but with a different map. As it happens, the game is not the same, although it is similar; it has a special Lord of the Rings rulebook (the object of the game revolves around the ring journeying to Mordor while battles go on in traditional RISK style).

Personally I am not interested in any tampering, because I think that the original rules work well enough, so I made up some mission cards similar to the ones in classic RISK and I play it without the special LOTR rules. If you are interested in the new rules, then go for it, if you are a fan of classic RISK I would recommend it anyway, as amending it to fit the original rules is quite simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game but missing pieces, 23 April 2014
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
Good game but should've had more pieces. Only had 40x1 battalion pieces and the game requires 60. Bit of a let down but contacted costumer services at hasbro and was sent extra army pieces fro the game for free.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 18 Mar 2014
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
It's a great deal of fun. RISK times 10. The geography and the special power cards provide a fun and challenging dynamic that the original risk cannot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good gift, 5 Mar 2014
K. Lyons (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
Grandson very pleased with this game - it has been played a lot since Christmas, and is good for all ages

5.0 out of 5 stars Great board game!, 25 Feb 2014
This review is from: Risk Lord Of The Rings (Toy)
This is a fabulous strategy board game. Highly recommend and very enjoyable, can take many hours when playing.
Cards can be a bit tricky to understand but given time this should be more understandable.

Risk Lord Of The Rings