Published on 22 Sept. 2012 by Jacob

Product does (mostly) what it says on the tin, which I look forward to in the coming winter months. Is is far nicer to wake up in a gentler way and to have bright morning sunlight is definitely a mood-booster.

A few niggles:
Published on 26 Oct. 2012 by M. Quick

3.0 out of 5 stars Good product (it works) but product description and other reviews here are misleading, 26 Oct. 2012
M. Quick - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Wake-Up Light Alarm Clock HF3510/01 with Sunrise Simulation - 3 Sounds and Radio Function (Personal Care)

A few niggles:
- There is no USB functionality....you cannot add your own music/sounds to wake up to. Some reviews here say that there is one and they are very misleading. In fact, the most recent review at the time I was purchasing the lamp said there was a USB and I purchased on that basis. I have reported these misleading reviews to amazon.
- The birdsong is a bit tinny and on a very short loop (3-4 seconds) so you hear the same bird tweeting over and over again. Which is why it would be so good to add your own music/sound via USB. Oh, but hang on, you can't!
- The radio is not digital. You are at the mercy of the antenna wire and the strength of signal wherever you choose to position the lamp. Unfortunately I can't tune into my favourite radio programme, which would prefer to the tinny 3-second loop of birdsong.
- Philips' own product description says there is a coloured sunrise and sunset. This is incorrect. The light is white and just varies in intensity, not colour. Personally I am not too bothered by this but others might be.
- The buttons are a bit fiddly but with a bit of time you can get used to them and can locate them relatively easily.

Hope this is helpful.

I don't usually leave reviews but feel I need to here so that I can push the other reviews that misleadingly mention USB functionality further down the pag e(sort by newest first).

5.0 out of 5 stars Really beautiful and effective sunlight simulator/wake-up light from Philips!, 22 Sept. 2012
I bought and started using this and the Philips goLITE at the same time (about a week ago) so it's been difficult for me to separate the effects these two products have been having on me from each other, but one thing is sure: the difference they have made in my daily routine has been amazing so far! I am now fresher and sharper during the day than ever and I could therefore not recommend both enough.

The streetlamps where I live are very bright, so since I moved to my new apartment I've had to use curtains that make my room pitch black at night. Waking in complete darkness coupled with an overly annoying alarm on my phone (which I, admittedly, could have just changed) made most of my mornings living hell.

Now that I have the HF3510 things are very different, and every single day since I got it, I have been waking up very relaxed and ready to start the day in a good mood. I have just been using the standard settings of the clock - it gradually increases the light to the maximum brightness within the last half hour before you get up - but it is easy to change this if you have different preferences.

The three natural sounds (of which you can choose one to play at your designated waking time) are nothing special, really, but they are all nice and pleasant to listen to. I, however, have found myself getting up and turning of the wake-up light before the sound goes off. No more snoozing for me, that's for sure.

The HF3510 is also great for ending your day properly as it includes a sunset setting which is more or less the other settings in reverse. I find this to be a great ritual to implement, so now I always turn the computer/TV/etc. as well as other lights off 20 minutes before bedtime and slowly prepare to sleep with only this light slowly decreasing the light in my bedroom. Very relaxing!

Lastly, it has a really great design and build quality. It has already impressed the few people I've had over since I got it. Plus, it also doubles great as a mood and/or reading light. It is also an LED light which saves you ever having to replace the light bulb as well as being good on the nature and your electricity bill.

In conclusion, I can't recommend this sunlight simulator enough. To get into how this (and the GoLIte more-so) affects the body's natural production of serotonin and melatonin in a positive way would make my review altogether too long, so I will just say that it really does. I live in Denmark where we have a long, dark winter ahead of us, so I am happy to have prepared myself for that with this excellent product!

Delivery was prompt and quick as per usual when dealing with Amazon. I see no reason not to give this 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks good, works well, 8 Feb. 2013
Minty (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this after spending some time researching and looking at 2nd hand lamps on a certain auction site. There is a confusing multitude of Philips lamp versions - seemingly they change every year. That's before you start trying to compare them to Lumie equivalents. I'd pretty much decided on one of the newer vertical Philips lamps, until I realised that they're not all equal. Some have normal bulbs, some halogen, some CFL, all of varying wattage - and not all are replaceable. A bit of a minefield really, especially when buying second hand.

I decided to get this light brand new because:

- 2nd hand prices were approaching new prices for many lamp models out there.

- It is LED based which, whilst technically not easily replaceable does have the advantage of long life, low power usage and low temperature operation.

- I think the Philips lamps just look a lot nicer than the Lumie ones.

APPEARANCE

Philips are a little creative with some of their imagery, I've seen some pictures where the clock glows gently out of a uniformly bright lamp face. The reality is different. The bottom third is much darker and contains the clock display. Only the top two thirds of the lamp light up. In fact you can see this in the pictures associated with this particular listing. Anyway, it looks good on the bedside table, kind of a smooth glowy soft pebbly thing ;-)

FUNCTIONS

The clock brightness can be dimmed by 4 levels, and the dimmest is pretty dim. I don't like over-bright clocks at night and this is fine. It is a shame it doesn't have an auto-dimmer like every other bedside clock made since 1980. However it DOES put the clock brightness up when the light is on, and it reverts to your pre-set brightness when the light is off.

The radio is FM only which in some ways is a shame. However the DAB reception in my bedroom isn't great so it would probably need an enormous aerial to sound good. The FM reception is excellent given that it just has one of those dangly wire aerials. The sound quality sounds good to me too, in some ways better than my Pure DAB Classic - sort of 'clearer' on speech programmes. I can't comment on what Radio 1 at full volume sounds like as I don't drive a white van for a living ;-)

ERGONOMICS

Many have commented on the strange layout of the buttons, spread around the rim of the light face. It is a little odd at first but didn't take more than a couple of days to get used to. There are raised images on the buttons so you can identify the function when looking at them. If it's dark, unless you can read braille it is a case of remembering what is where. The raised pictures enable you to feel where each button is more easily anyway. On the rim are the controls for setting the alarm time/enabling the alarm, controlling the light, snooze and clock brightness, FM radio & volume, and the Zzz button (sleep timer). On the front are four touch sensitive areas marked menu, select and << >>. The latter change values up and down or tune the FM radio. The touch areas glow in anticipation as your finger approaches which is kind of cool. There's also a clicky noise to indicate they've registered your press - though this can be turned off if desired.

You have to pre-set your 'wake up profile' from the menu which means the maximum light brightness, alarm action (tweety birds, radio etc.) and the maximum alarm volume. Once you've done this it is just a case of pressing the alarm button to activate the alarm. The first time you do this you need to set the alarm time, and after that it remembers it (but you can change it easily when activating the alarm).

The sounds are a dawn chorus type tweeting, something similar with cuckoos I think, and some music. I believe there's also an alarm beep which I've not tried out. Personally I prefer to be woken by a blackbird - must be a result of all those 'come and praise' books back in Primary school ;-) the sounds are on a fairly short loop, but if you've ever heard the dawn chorus, birds are pretty repetitive at the best of times lol. I can't say it bothers me. There is no way to add your own sound via USB on this model.

DOES IT WORK?
Well.... yes! :) It took a few days to work out the best sound and light levels, but after day 1 I switched off my normal alarm clock completely as I was happy it wasn't needed any more. Obviously different people are going to respond in different ways but I find that I am indeed more ready to get up at 06.30 than I would be by being beaten around the head by my old alarm clock. I find that if I am facing the light I will wake up 5-10 minutes before the birds start tweeting. If I am facing away I might wake up a bit later or just be almost awake when the birds start up. That's then enough to wake me fully.

I'd be lying if I said that now every morning I spring from bed fully alert and ready to face the day. However I do feel more awake, and it is a lot easier to get up straight away rather than hitting snooze 27 times as I'd do previously. The snooze on this clock is 9 mins which is a bit too long for my liking so I don't use it. Note that snooze only affects your chosen alarm noise, not the light - which stays on. That makes sense if you think about it.

The light starts its routine half an hour before your alarm time with a dim-orangey glow that slowly brightens to whatever you've set as your maximum level. At full brightness it is a bright white light (well it is an LED after all). It is NOT a coloured sunrise effect - I believe the next model up has that option however.

I'm finding I used the Zzz (sleep timer) as well. I always have my DAB radio set to 45min sleep timer when I go to bed, but I have been trying just the FM radio/light to do this instead and it seems to work well - I always drift off and because it reduces the radio volume gently at the end there's no sudden transition to silence. The fading light does seem to help sleep also - though I set it quite dim before activating the timer anyway.

Summary:

I'm glad I paid a little more for this model brand new rather than saving a few quid on a second hand one from the bay of plenty. The prices fluctuate often so if it seems a bit pricy just watch it for a while until the price drops again. I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend it. It is expensive, but then so are all the other similar options. The use of an LED means it doesn't burn much electricity either which is nice.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are like me, you need a series of alarms, across a series of devices, To even begin a wake up. NOT ANY MORE!, 10 Jan. 2015
If you are like me, you need a series of alarms, across a series of devices, staggered over 2 hours. To even begin a wake up phase.

I was anxious to test out how light will help in dark winter (arctic circle here in Scotland). May I point out I rise with sunrise in summer months typically 0400hrs onwards, like clockwork.

It was no surprise that i woke up completely natural to 1 of 3 choices of sounds, bird song, gentle piano with ambience and a forest with woodland species noises. I can also have my favourite radio station.

The sunrise simulation happens over 30 minutes, and the sound effects begin for the time which you have set. Eg. i set an alarm for 0630hrs and the light will come on ever so dimly and gradually at 0600hrs.

You have 20 stages of brightness to set it too, I prefer 20 (highest) as sometimes i can lie the other way. It is worth noting that you may need a bedside unit or table to fully reap the benefits at all of this alarm clock. It will light up the whole room, but having it turned to the side you sleep (in your face) is most effective.

The dot LCD display is orange, and has 4 levels of brightness, and the 1 setting (dimmest) is perfect, no glare, no sore eyes at 3am when checking the time.

The volume of the alarm noise/radio is programmable up to 15 settings i believe (15 highest) and is loud enough not to awaken other house members.

The radio gains good reception everywhere, and the touch user interface is a pleasure to use, with tactile 'clicks'.

Along the circumference/crown there are buttons to access display brightness. sunlight brightness, volume and snooze settings.

Another function is as a reading light/night light, perfect if you cant be bothered running for the light switch every night.

Looks attractive in my opinion and it generates great interest to people who see it, I just dont want to lend it out.

Would buy again if you can add auxillary music playing (ipod etc)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good - a few niggles, but does what it needs to do, 13 Oct. 2013
A sunrise simulator must achieve two things as a minimum - a bright enough light to wake you and of a pleasant enough tone of light to greet you with when you awake. This Philips does this pretty well. If I was being picky, I would say it could cast a bit more light into the room which helps if you are not laying facing the lamp at the appropriate time. It's not dark by any means, but the brightest effect is when it's it your face.

The effect achieved by the Philips has traditionally been achieved by an incandescent light bulb - the LED ones I have tried to date have been rubbish. The problem with the old filament bulb versions was that for safety they switched off again after 15 minutes as they could get hot (and cause a fire).

The description is slightly misleading, but actually against the device (IMO). It starts a dark yellow and brightens to a warm white, not a yellow. This is quite a feat for an LED unit - to start yellow and change colour just like an old halogen bulb as it brightens. It may help explain the price.

It is nice that when you switch the alarm on it gives you both a reminder and immediate option to dial the time earlier or later, with hours and minute options, so quick changes are easy.

As for the niggles:-

Not the easiest controls to understand.
Very flat side buttons - impossible to recognise at any distance or by touch - you will have to get to learn where they are or look very closely until you get used to that.
No preset FM stations - you set one and use that. For many that will be fine on a bedside radio - I guess 95% of people use the same wake up station day in and day out. Auto clock display brightness would be nice, but flicking it down manually through the options is easy enough.

Bottom line - does everything that it needs to do and better than the old market leader, and indeed better than Philips older versions - hopefully with far better reliability than the "other make" I used to use.

If you have not used one of these before and have trouble waking in winter - BUY ONE. Don't go cheaper - this is worth it and they don't all achieve the desired result.

4.0 out of 5 stars Improvement over previous versions, 13 Dec. 2012
McStick (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I was asked to review an old model of this wake up light a couple of years ago, and I have to admit, I wasn't overly impressed due to the number of problems it presented. These included the radio turning on to a loud buzz of static, flickering of the CFL bulb and dials that turned in a counter intuitive way. I am pleased to report however, that all of these problems seem to have been resolved in this version - there is no more static interference, the CFL has been replaced by LEDs which don't flicker and the dials are now buttons, some of which are touch sensitive.

This version is also much smaller than its predecessors, looks more modern and generally fits into the surroundings much better (in my opinion). Having fitted it with LEDs, rather than halogen or CFL, a range of various colours can be obtained, through the use of different types of LEDs. In this particular version, the LEDs used give a warm white effect, although a sunrise effect model is also available. I'm not sure if the sunrise effect model has any added bonus in waking up effectively, therefore, this model is perfectly fine for me anyway.

Once all the packaging has been removed, it is relatively straightforward to set up, albeit a little bit fiddly to get the right settings. On the whole though, with a bit of practice, it is easy enough to change any of the settings required such as wake up time, brightness of the light at the desired wake up time, sound volume and also sound choice. As with most, if not all, previous Philips wake up lights, the sound choice consists of 5 natural sounds, including bird song and beep, and FM radio.

In the past, some wake up lights, and indeed clocks in general, have had displays that are excessively bright and would nearly hinder in the ability to get to sleep. This is also no longer an issue in this model as the display brightness can be set to dim when the room is dark. The display will then increase to full brightness again during the day - this works by the inclusion of a light sensor.

One thing I do like about this wake up light is, ironically, its sunset function! Indeed, it is the function which I use the most as I don't have a light switch beside my bed, and so I would have to get out of bed to turn off the light (defeats the purpose really!) Not only that, I have found it aids getting to sleep when the light gradually dims, before turning off completely. As with the sunrise functionally, the length of time over which the light dims can be adjusted.

Overall, I think this is a big improvement over the previous version which I tested, although if I had to find fault with it, it would be that it doesn't seem to automatically turn itself off after a set period of time. The old model turned itself off after ninety minutes, although I suppose this isn't such a big deal now as the LEDs are incredibly efficient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best one I've ever owned, 1 Sept. 2013
I bought this about ten months ago, and since then, it has made getting up and waking up a lot easier. (And less traumatic.) I might have SAD (if so, it's not officially diagnosed), so have trouble getting out of bed and winter makes me hibernate. The slowly increasing light means I often wake up before the birds (in the alarm clock) start singing, so it's a "gentle" way to wake up that feels largely natural most days.

It's also less intrusive for my partner, who's on a different schedule, than a traditional RRRRRING-RRRRING BLEEP-BLEEP alarm. So far, neither of us had any desire to smash it - which is a first in this household.

Regarding instructions - I figured the display out in about five minutes without consulting the booklet.

It's expensive compared to others, but I found it well worth the money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Very low-end alarm clock functionality, 6 Mar. 2015
Considering how excited I was for this purchase it was a huge let down. In summary, this is the cheapest, most basic alarm clock simply with a light attached. The price tag is really unjustified.
For a clock of this price I'd expect some very standard features I overlooked with my previous alarm clock. These are things this DOESN'T have:
- No radio controlled time. You have to set the time manually and it loses a few minutes time keeping every few weeks
- The radio could have been digital or wi-fi. The technology is no longer that expensive and the FM wire antenna limits what you can pick up in your bedroom.
- No battery slot. The clock is plug in only which means in a power cut there is no alarm clock. I actually set my phone alarm too now in addition, just for reassurance.
- One single alarm profile. You have to set the alarm time every day. For this price there are clocks that you set complex patterns like different times on different days. This is the most basic it comes.
- no external input. It has a decent speaker so no reason why they couldn't have put a jack to plug in your own music to play even if you're not allowed to set it for wakeup.

As for the light, it is good for waking up to but that's about it. Also couldn't find any information anywhere about the actual light emitted. I was particularly looking for safety info. In the manual I did see it is not recommended as a desk light which leads me to assume the clock emits a fairly full spectrum light then. There isn't much research data about this yet, but no doubt regular high intensity exposure to <400nm wavelength (blue to violet to ultraviolet light) is associated with early ageing of the eye (and then associated vision deterioration). I don't think it gets much more regular than waking up to it daily. And of course I find to get the best effect, you turn it up to a maximally bright setting.

Basically, overall I wouldn't recommend this purchase so wanted to share for consideration. The benefit of the light doesn't make this rival other products in this price bracket. Consider some other alarm clocks as well if you're happy spending triple digits there's some really good stuff out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars The one I bought was the 3510/01, 22 Jan. 2015
Justin Fretwell (Chelmsford, Essex UK) - See all my reviews
The one I bought was the 3510/01 (brightest one without the extra useless features). This is definitely the best wake-up light alarm.

I love wake-up lights because I think they stop my eyes from stinging when i have to get up when its dark. You can just open your eyes and you don't have that glaring horrible feeling like someone just turned on a light, because your eyes have already become accustomed. I have had three wake up lights over the years. I've had 1st gen philips one before, then i tried a pure digital, now i've gone back to this one.

My old philips' bulb blew and rather than pay for a new bulb, i thought it would be better to get a DAB one, so I bought the Pure...

The Pure one broke and smashed. I didnt like it because the light came on too quickly. The light increments where rubbish (dark, BRIGHT). At full brightness it wasn't really very bright (except first thing in the morning when you're sensitive to it) and it was white light which isnt very nice in a bedroom.

The new Philips. The alarm is a nice harp sound (or you can have birds or radio), unlike the older model that had bird chirping but sounded like electro-shock therapy. The incremental LED lights go up to 300 lumins, which is actually very bright, but you can set the alarm to light up as much (or little) as you like. The LEDs are warm white, which is much nicer for a bedroom imo.

Cons: So typical of wake-up lights (except ironically, because I didnt like it the Pure), it's flimsy build considering the stupid high price. The buttons are fiddly as hell, but you can feel where they are and you get used to it quickly enough, but they're still fiddly.

As it happens I got mine for £50 from amazon warehouse and they did come down to about £50 brand new during the black friday period in 2014.

Hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is fantastic. I bought it on Black Friday, 10 Jan. 2015
This product is fantastic. I bought it on Black Friday, which makes it even better but I think it would still be worth it at full price.

I researched for quite a while before buying this. There are several on the market but with a variety of reviews. It seems to me that if you're going to spend a fair bit of money on one of these, you might as well spend a bit more and get a really good one. The cheaper products are still pretty expensive and didn't do everything I wanted.

The things I like about this clock:
*Various settings for light brightness
*Various settings for display brightness
*Radio alarm
*Very easy to set
*Using the light as a bedside lamp doesn't affect the brightness settings of the sunrise alarm
*Using the radio doesn't affect the volume setting of the radio alarm
*The radio alarm and sunrise light turn themselves off (I think after 90 mins), so if I'm away and have forgotten to turn it off, it won't stay on night and day
*If the power is turned off, it keeps the settings and time (I don't know for how long)
*The radio comes on fairly gently, so doesn't just blare out
*If I wake up and there's no light from it, I know I have more than half hour left to sleep.

Bad things for some could be that it took some getting used to and a few mornings to find the right brightness setting for us. At first it was too bright and was waking him up too early. We finally figured that a top brightness of 5 was perfect and I also have it facing away, so it's not shining directly at us.

Does it work? For me, yes. I like the gentle waking up. It does mean I wake up a little earlier than I need to but I can snooze. For my partner, he just really enjoys waking up to a nice soft light, rather than complete darkness. The first time we really knew it worked was when I deactivated it on a weekend and he missed it.

I haven't tried any of the alarm sounds, so can't comment.