5.0 out of 5 stars 9 out of 10
I thoroughly enjoyed this, a warm story wrapped in an historical blanket.
The descriptions were excellent and I found myself there with Dora through her struggles and successes. The book is very evocative of the battles women faced to make their own choices and of a life of hard work lived in an isolated community.

Dora Rare, a bit of a loner amongst her...
Published on 6 Oct 2007 by DubaiReader

3.0 out of 5 stars Up and down
Published on 1 Oct 2007 by SJSmith

5.0 out of 5 stars 9 out of 10, 6 Oct 2007
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed this, a warm story wrapped in an historical blanket.

Dora Rare, a bit of a loner amongst her peers, is chosen by the local elderly midwife to train in the arts of midwifery and herbal remedies. Unfortunately this natural succession is interrupted by the arrival of a new age doctor, advocating pain free births in the new modern hospital. It seems he has the law on his side and home births become 'outdated'. As the women fight for their right to choose, this battle becomes symbolic of all the things in their lives that are decided for them.
Alongside this central theme are woven details of several events that occurred at the time: the Halifax bomb, the Boston flu of 1918, the first world war and the struggles of the suffragettes.

Well researched and well written, I thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful historical novel, 2 Sep 2006
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
I couldn't put it down. The story is gripping and endearing. It was empowering in that it spoke of woman's rights at a birth of their choosing. It was encouraging, with wonderful references to the midwifery of old. Well written, well researched. I enjoyed the historical references eg. Halifax bomb, Boston flu of 1918, as well as the herbal and homeopathic remedies listed (although i've not cross-referenced these, given the great amount of research obviously done for this book I wouldn't be suprised if modern herbalist still list the same for childbirth). As a student midwife who has visited Nova Scotia I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to all who want to have a good read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lyrical pose, interesting plot, 21 Oct 2007
V. Dick - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
I am a sucker for stories about midwifery, so when I bought this book for a friend I could not resist taking a peek inside the covers. Before I knew it I was a thrid of the way through, and knew that my friend would have to wait until I had finished before I would hand it over to her.

The characters are well written, with enough depth to enable you to love or hate them. The plot is gentle but moves along nicely so kept my interest. I like the fact that historical events play key roles in the story. Some of the descriptive passages are very powerful. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more books by Ami McKay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Birth House wow!, 19 May 2007
L. J. Munro "Liza Munro" (Liverpool, United Kingdom United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
I was in Canada recently working viewing midwifery there and was given this book by the lady who owns the b&b we stayed in!!! Wow what a faboulous book i really enjoyed reading it and was delighted i have read it and read it again so enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan 2011
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
This novel captured me from the beginning. I have read a few books set in Canada lately and this one especially brings home the bleakness of the fishing village of Scots Bay. The historical detail is very well researched, including the Halifax eplosion and the influenza epidemic. There are some really funny episodes throughout the book, although it is not a 'funny book' - it is very touching and honest and makes you realise how strong these fishing wives were during the First World War.

It is a love story, a story of women's rights, a historical account and a story of hardships and friendships. About women battling to overcome the discrimination and suspicions directed at them for daring to be different and to speak out for their beliefs.

3.0 out of 5 stars Up and down, 1 Oct 2007
SJSmith (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
Some well-rounded characters that you can really get to know whether you loathe or love them. This is a well-written book with excellent narrative but unfortunately it just went on and on and on. I don't feel Dora's relationship with family fighting on the front line played a part in this book and could've been missed out entirely - it distracted from the lovely story of Dora and her journey to find her strength and courage to do what she wanted to do.

Miss Babineau is your stereotypical spinster from novels who wants to pass on all she knows about being a 'witch' to Dora. Eventually Dora, unlike her mentor, gets married; but hers is not a happy marriage. She discusses marriage with her friends and realises hers is not a good one. Unlike her friends, she is unable to get pregnant and performs all sorts of procedures on herself. The doctors recommendations/treatment would go down well in an Ann Summer's shop lol.

A good look at midwifery around the time of the first world war, and an interesting comparison to 'The Red Tent' (which I'd say is much better). Dora eventually becomes exhiled from her community following the death of a pregnant woman but as with all novels like this there is a happy ending and she can come home. To be honest, I had to skim read to get it finished as it could've been a 100 pages shorter.

Worth a read if you are interested in midwifery but don't be fooled by the blurb, it's not as good as that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book, 16 Dec 2013
M. Hooley (Cheshire,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Birth House (Kindle Edition)
Im a big fan of the old remedies and teas that women used before scientific medicines took over.There must have been some truth in the stories. many women and children survived the impossible with using natural home grown remedies.it's a lovely heart warming , informative , thought provoking read.makes you value the importance of friendships and the bonding that takes place with generations and communities of females that make us rich within ourselves. I would recommend this novel to all females .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, 5 Dec 2013
K. Segerius - See all my reviews
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and not only because I am from the area where it is set. A good story with endearing characters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 14 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
More than lived up to expectations. Perfect read whilst visiting Nova Scotia. Very well written and engaging throughout. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, loved it, loved it, 19 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Birth House (Paperback)
I admit to not being sure when I bought the book, I had not read Ami McKay before, but once I picked it up I could not put it down. It is excellent

The Birth House