4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but needs editing
Published 11 months ago by Kernuak

3.0 out of 5 stars Land of shadows by Jeff Gunzel
Should I read this? If you are an adult, if you are a fantasy fanatic, if it is still free and you have nothing else to read at present then yes.

Published 11 months ago by Mr A F Rogers

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, but needs editing, 9 Aug 2013
This review is from: Land of Shadows (The Legend of the Gate Keeper Book 1) (Kindle Edition)
As a story, Land of the Shadows produces on the whole. While not being perfect, the story does progress at a good rate and does offer some reasonable character development. Scenes are described quite well, with enough detail and the the storyline works well also. However, while Fantasy Fiction does have a habit of ending in cliff hangers, this one was rather odd and I actually thought at first, that the Kindle App had frozen or the end was missing. In short, it seemd more like the end of a chapter, rather than a book ending.
What I did find a little irritating though, were the consistent errors, for example, the use of common, instead of come on. While I would love to be able to write in a non-native language, the book really does need editing, as a couple of sentences simply didn't make sense and one left me wondering what the author was trying to say.
Overall, I would give 4 stars for the story, but if I could, I would drop half a star for the poor editing. That said, the lack of editing seems to be a common failing in self-published Kindle books and at least this one did have more drama and suspense than some others I've read recently. As an author of a self-published book myself, I know this is the hardest part.

3.0 out of 5 stars Land of shadows by Jeff Gunzel, 2 Aug 2013

My first impression was that, like, me, the authors revered, Robert Jordan. That there is nothing new in Fantasy is a fallacy. Steven Erickson was new and fabulous. However one pays the piper for the best and this book is new and not in that context.

We are first introduced to the warrior, "Morcel". He has no parallel in , "The Wheel of Time" but his preparation for combat has echoes of Tam Al'Thor and the void. Then we are introduced to Jade who briefly becomes the Phantom but then develops into the driven woman whose life is dedicated to finding and protecting the gatekeeper so he can complete his fight against evil. As the rich fantasy world is described we are introduced to Eric, a blacksmith, his physique, naivety, wholesomeness and hints of a deeper power reminds me of Perrin Goldeneyes. Just to sort of confirm my first impression along comes Jacob. He is one for the girls, for mischief and not one for self reflection and would you believe it he is a master with the quarter staff. Then latterly we meet another faction whose females are bare breasted and have chains and piercings across their faces, "Seafolk revisited?".

The story has pace and keeps you reading despite the mediocre quality of the writing. If I was the editor I would suggest: cut the polemic on crime and punishment; moderate the gratuitous violence and sexuality; try and improve the quality of the prose for the next work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark fantasy, 11 May 2013
I see that some of the earlier reviews have asked for editing of "Lands of Shadow". I have an updated version from 2013 and have a feeling that there must have been quite a bit of editing done if the previous critique was true. I like that in an author - the ability to listen to what people have to say and then decide if what is said is worth listening to. So that is one plus in Jeff Gunzel's favor.

I loved the opening scene. The warrior Morcel's choice to leave off the life he had been leading lately brings him in a sense back to the land of the living. All because that one last drop had fallen. Life is like that (although maybe not quite as brutal as the village scenes). Sometimes that one drop extra falls and you cannot stand your own choices any longer. Change comes - sometimes for the better, sometimes not. Morcel's having had his fill plays an important role in the plot of The Land of Shadows.

Right away I am going to warn you of a particularly gruesome scene - the one that changes Morcel's life. This is NOT a book for Young Adults and there are definitely trigger factors for those who have been victims of sexual abuse. Consider yourselves warned.

In this scene we meet a girl who also plays an important role in the development of the plot. If you are awake you will spot her reappearance. She is quite a strong character.

There is action from the beginning of Land of Shadows. Talk about intense scenes that just grip me and will not let me go. Not until Chapter 3 do we get a description of beautiful Tarmerria. But that beauty does have a back side. There are plenty of unwanted elements, crime and scary outlanders.

What we get in the "Land of Shadows" is a bunch of people who have had to make terrible choices in order to stave off a potentially terrible future. But bearing the consequences of their choices takes a toll on them and the ones they have made those choices for. Life is all too often like that. A person can only do what they think is right and hope that they do not mess up too badly.

"Land of Shadows" is a dark novel, dark and beautiful. It is well worth the read and I would say that Jeff Gunzel has the potential of being an amazing writer. He already hits the flow over and over again and plays with my feelings like a virtuoso.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 26 Jun 2014
Good story line and plot with the characters each bringing your imagination alive. Can't wait to get the next one in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, 2 Jun 2014
Really enjoyed this book written in a David Gemmell style interesting story and likeable characters in a diff class than other free books I look forward to reading the next one

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable read, 21 May 2014
I enjoyed this fantasy fiction, once I got into it but it took a bit of perseverance. The book jumps from character to character, giving you their story, but it takes a long time for them all to link up. once it all starts to come together it gets exciting and the story line is good. I was left wanting to read the next book.

4.0 out of 5 stars chance encounter, 9 May 2014
I had this book from amazon as a free download as I am reading a lot of fantasy books at this time it started off at a slow pace but as you get into the story it becomes a lot more interesting so on that basis I ordered the other three books in the series and am now in the process of reading book 2.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, nice plot and easy to read, 5 May 2014
Graham Jones (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I could write a load of rubbish, but to be honest it was just a very enjoyable read with no weird sub plots.

3.0 out of 5 stars Land of Shadows, 17 July 2013
Quite good while it lasted but had finished before I realised it was the end of the book,not a satisfactory conclusion

4.0 out of 5 stars spot on, 5 July 2014