on 29 October 2012
The UK-based Chrome Dreams DVD label (distributed in the US by MVD) has really grown in quality over the year. Their earlier productions had just a few music journalists and no real music of the artist on them. They were just "OK" but beginning with the predecessor to this DVD "Brian Wilson - Songwriter 1962-69" things really improved and I raved about it to every Wilson or Beach Boy fan. This one picks up where that volume ended and spends much of its time on the post Pet Sounds period, especially the Warner Reprise years. The commentators include Bruce Johnson and Mark Volman plus a bunch of Wilson biographers as well as their early years Manager and their recording engineer. All are entertaining to listen to. My favorite (but this is subjective) is music professor Philip Lambert who sits at a piano and demonstrates his comments on Wilson's composition elements. There is a lot of vintage footage though you do have to realize that some is silent because of copyright issues. But there is plenty of music that Chrome Dreams got from non-US sources and is included here as well as some that they give credit to.

If you haven't seen the earlier one, you'll want to start there but if you have seen it, you'll want to know about this one. It ends with the failed "IMU" release on Columbia when Wilson heads off on his own solo career. My guess is that there will be a third volume forthcoming about the solo years and into the recent "Smile" project. I'll sure be looking for that.

I'll defer to my fellow reviewer, Johnny Rebel, for more details but I wanted to also add info re: the "Bonus features" on this DVD. In addition to lengthy "text" bios of all the interviewees (in print a bit too small for most eyes) there are three segments (each about six minutes) of additional interviews. First is the aforementioned Lambert dissecting " Do It Again", then three others telling stories of Wilson "out of the studio" doing pranks and finally, the BB manager Fred Vail on the never-completed 1970 Wilson-solo country album "Cows Come Home To Pasture" (Vail still has the tapes but says he has no time to release them!)

I hope you found this review both informative and helpful.

Steve Ramm
"Anything Phonographic"
on 9 October 2012
But I did, it is excellent.

Whilst the underlying theme from the various presenters is supportive of Brian Wilson, equally they do not shy away from critisism of him and the Beach Boys.There is good analysis of where he was with his health and how it effected the music he was producing, or not producing.
Clearly restates the pressures he was under and the good/bad influences.

It is a well balanced film, and I am sure the final part will follow, bringing us right up to date.

I strongly recommend it.
on 27 September 2014
I've always been a fan of the Beach Boys and been lucky enough to have met three of the guys on a plane once way back in 1968. There was just something creatively very classy about the music they produced which resonated with me. This documentary, and the companion first volume go a long way to opening up the complex world that was, and indeed still is, Brian Wilson. So much has been written about Brian in the past that I feel in no way qualified to expand on. All I can say is that I really really enjoyed watching and learning more about Brian and the band throughout these two Songwriter packages. When coupled with the excellent Beautiful Dreamer documentary, released as part of The Smile DVD that in a sense brings the Brian Wilson story right up to date, there really is nothing else you need. Brilliant man and wonderful, life enhancing music. Great stuff
on 3 September 2013
Interesting but a lot of the early content is about the period covered by the earlier film so there can be a feeling of having seen some of it before, whilst some periods seem to disappear without trace. But still absorbing for the Brian Wilson fan
on 14 October 2014
I already saw a lot of it on You tube. Couldnt find it for a long time so I 'm very glad that I found it.
There is a lot on it what is also on the first one, but that doesn't botter me. :-)
on 6 October 2014
no problems
on 19 November 2015
Great!
on 21 January 2013
The first DVD set of Brian's career pre-1968 was very nicely packaged and a complimentary presentation was expected for this 2nd volume. Not so. It's just a disk in a standard case, no liner notes and given that the rest of Brians career is never going to be as interesting musically it amounts to a let down. Only for those who feel they need to complete the set.