5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing story
`The Little Girl in the Radiator' is a real delight for any reader. It is truly a wonderfully written book and one that maintained my interest from beginning to end. The author, Martin Slevin, explains/deals with the complex issue of Alzheimer's disease in the most compassionate, clear and simplest of ways. He really has mastered the art of storytelling. The book is...
Published on 22 Feb. 2011 by Sydney Joe

3.0 out of 5 stars Light hearted
Whilst I was reading it I had to keep reminding myself that it was someone's real experiences and not just a made up story. There were very few facts about Alzheimer's throughout the book, I wasn't always happy that the author had the facts. At the beginning of the book there were a few fortunate coincidences, such as he just happened to be leaving his wife when his...
Published 24 months ago by Caroline

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Tha little girl in the radiator, 28 Sept. 2012
This review is from: The Little Girl in the Radiator: Mum Alzheimer's & Me (Kindle Edition)
I hope that Martin Slevin reads these reviews as he should be very very proud of this little book. If you have ever suffered the pain of your loved ones living with Alzheimers you soon realise that Martins story of his mother is everything that you have gone through........the emotional rollercoaster of each turn of the page has you laughing out loud,shedding a few tears [more than once in both cases], reading paragraphs or sometimes pages to your better half and remernising your own memories.If there is a book award for this kind of book it should be given to Martin........an absolute little gem.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful memoir and help to those caring for a loved one with AD, 16 Oct. 2013
I downloaded this book last night as I went to bed and have just finished reading it at 5am. I got some sleep in as well, but I am wakeful most nights now as my lovely dad is in hospital nearing the end of his life and his battle with Alzheimer's Disease. Even so, I have been told to look for a nursing home for him and I found Martin's experiences a salutary guide in an area no child relishes exploring on behalf of their parent. What if you make the wrong choice? What if your parent doesn't like it - but can't communicate that? All the tragi-comedy of Alzheimer's Disease that robs you of the person you once knew by degrees is laid bare; all the feelings you have as a carer are mirrored, even down to the dread that you might get the disease yourself (and wish to be shot on diagnosis in your darker moments). There isn't much to laugh at with AD, but Rose, Martin, Heather and the antics of the borrowed hound from hell, Bruno, who gave Rose so much (and only swiped a joint of roast beef in return) make this book a page-turner. There's no happy ever after ending, but for those beginning, undergoing or reaching the end of the long goodbye journey, this is an enlightening book that deals with all aspects of an individual experience honestly shared. Thank you, Martin.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing read, 16 Sept. 2012
This book makes compulsive reading,once you pick it up you can not put it down. Sometimes funny sometimes sad. Martin Slavin wrote this book to let us know the living hell of alzheimers. Thanks for a wonderful read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little girl in the radiator, 19 Sept. 2012
Just a lovely true story,will make you laugh,and cry near the end for his loss.But,it's a must for those who are,or have been affected by Alzheimers.

5.0 out of 5 stars The little girl in the radiator, 11 Feb. 2015
I bought this book as recommended by a friend. We both work with dementia sufferers in a nursing home which honestly is a lovely one! I was fixed from the first page.
The very well written story is about a great man who lives with his mother who has Alzheimer's, he tells the story of everyday struggles, adventures and mishaps which come with living with dementia but he does this while preserving his mum's dignity to the end. I found it refreshing to read such honesty in a light hearted way. I can relate to many symptoms and behaviours mentioned being a dementia support worker and I would highly recommend this book to anyone else who is effected by dementia in any way. What an incredible man Martin must be to have cared for his wonderful mum as much as physically possible for one person!

5.0 out of 5 stars most accurate story of alzheimers, 1 Oct. 2012
Martin Slevin's true story is the most touching, heartbreaking and funny story I have read. As someone who is going through this awful vile disease I found it helpful and very spot on. My mother was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers 2 years ago, although it appears the illness has been there longer. I have read a lot of literature to help and give me advice but it doesnt seem to have given me the information I needed. This book has and although I cried reading it I also laughed as was very funny to read. I feel its good for people to share their experiences and thoughts and views. I was surprised to share a lot of the same views as Martin and found myself saying out loud yip, thats right etc. Thank you for this book it has helped me in a lot of ways.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this, 11 Feb. 2013
Betty Tarlton (March, Cambridge) - See all my reviews
Thought provoking, funny and sad all rolled into one. An excellent read that everyone should buy. I thoroughly recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars An poignant true story of demenntia, 27 Jan. 2013
This is the true story of one man's struggle with his mother's Alzheimers disease. At times heartbreaking, at others laugh-out-loud funny. It shows how the whole family can be affected by this dreadful disease. Many of the incidents struck a chord, as I am sure they will with many others who have seen the decline of their loved ones. Never self-pitying, the author showed tremendous patience and understanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 12 Aug. 2012
Ms. D. Soames (Hertfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
I received this book on Saturday morning and had finished it in the evening. I just couldn't put this book down. My mum has early onset dementia (aged 62) and now is in a nursing home. I could relate to the authors feelings and also his experiences on care homes. This book had me both laughing and crying. I feel this book will be enjoyed by all but especially those affected by dementia/ Alzheimers . I'm going to lend this book to my dad as he too had 1st hand experience with dealing with Alzheimer's as my grandmother also had this cruel disease. Well done Martin for highlighting the lack of research into this disease and for sharing your own story. I don't feel so alone in my own circumstances. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Little Girl in the Radiator, 4 Sept. 2012
I had read a review of this book in one of the Sunday papers, and I decided I must read the book it. My brother had died with Alzeimer's, and I wanted to understand it more. I found it a great book to read. I laughted and cried a lot, I could see so much of my brother in this book, I also saw the suffering of finding a good nursing home for him, and of having a bad one and them a good one. It also helped me to understand this terrible sickness, I found the book a great help for me.
I would like to thank Martin Slevin for wtiting it, I hope that many people that have anyone they know with Alzeimer's should read it

‹ Previous | 1 2 349 | Next ›