I bought this to replace an ageing HP Deskjet D1360, and chose it on the basis of the space it needed to fit into. I need a printer which feeds paper in and out from the front - not top or back loaded.

Published 24 months ago by Smot

3.0 out of 5 stars SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!
Published 18 months ago by Indiana

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice printer but installation problems and now with Linux driver, 24 Oct 2012
This review is from: Epson XP605 AIO Expression Premium Wi-Fi Photo Printer (Accessory)

A quick search suggested that Epson are quite good with Linux drivers, and following some comments to my original review, I've got this working well with Ubuntu 12.04 and 12.10. See the comments to this review for details on how to do this.

It was initially installed using Windows 7 in a VM. This was all fine until the installer suggested that updated firmware was needed. At this point the whole process locked up, and a lengthy-ish call (10p per minute) to Epson support managed to get things going again. The installation had to be completed manually, and I have no idea if the firmware was actually updated or not. Still, it works, so I've let sleeping dogs lie.

From Windows, the XP-605 works well across wifi, printing at a reasonable pace with good quality prints.

As a bonus, it can scan, and print directly onto CD/DVDs, although this is not something that will get a great deal of use.

Two paper trays - 100 A4 and 20 photo sheets, and double-sided printing complete the feature set.

In comparison to the old printer, it's a big improvement in speed, quality and printing costs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Product for my Needs, 3 May 2013
T. R. Roberts "columbus" (Alicante. Spain) - See all my reviews
When deciding to purchase a new printer, I needed something that would match in with my off white AIO Computer, the Epson XP605 Expression Premium Wifi Photo Printer which is available in off white or black absolutely met all my requirements. Have had the printer now for a couple of weeks and I have found the printer to be simple to set up, acquireing the WiFi signal automatically, photo prints even on plain paper are excellent and having 5 Ink technology means saving money as only the cartridge which has run out needs replacing. It also has a smaller footprint than my previous printer, giving more space on the desktop. Would definitely recommend to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson XP605 Printer, 21 April 2013
Got this to replace an HP that had finally cracked up. Within 1 hour of unpacking it I had it up and running on three laptops, set up to Wi-Fi was very quick the printer did everything including automatically setting the password, it was a dream. However another hour later I had all the functions in, maybe because I am not particularly computer savvy I would say just about competent. I found installing Epson connect a bit fiddly, it was a bit hit and miss if the computer would connect to the printer, even though I new it was because I would hit a test page and yet I would get the message printer not found, anyway perseverance is a great thing, over all it was easy to install. I have used it to copy some docs and have printed both in photo and document and they have been fairly fast, it is nice to print from the comfort of my living room, no more dragging the laptop upstairs to print a page. The only niggle I have is I don't like manuals on screen, I am old fashioned enough to actually remember books and like to be able to mark, write on etc. but that is just a personal preference not something I would mark the machine down on. Oh by the way on compatibility my laptops operate windows 8 on 1 and windows seven on the other 2 there was no difference in loading either of them, a screen comes up with windows 8 drivers but I did not need it. If you are looking for a fair priced machine then definitely buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best printer I have ever used, 30 April 2013
D. E. Smith (Pudsey, England) - See all my reviews
I bought this printer for printing DVD's, and it does it beautifully, the price for a printer which prints DVD's is usually twice as much, I cannot fault this printer, except to say, and this might be my own fault for not reading the instructions, if printing on photo paper the prepared side needs to be facing downwards, I am still using the inks that came with it after printing some 20 DVD's and some A4 black ink pages.
I am absolutely delighted with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars SLOW, SLOW, SLOW!, 15 April 2013
I've been using Epson printer for a long time now. This model was bought to replace an Epson RX560 as both print to CDs. Switch this printer on, send a document to it, then sit and listen to it whirring and whining for anything from three and a half to six minutes before the document prints! Also, I suspect during all this waiting time the machine is head cleaning, using up very expensive ink! Definitely NOT one of Epson's best.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for wheelchair users, 18 Mar 2013
My main criterion for a new printer was one which was both front-loading and with front-facing controls. This is because my wife is a wheelchair user and she finds it very difficult to view or access the top or rear of a printer. Therefore this printer was ideal. With an Apple-based network, the white finish blends particularly well and the smaller footprint than our previous (also Epson) printer gives us more desk-top space. The performance of the printer is very good - I do not find the "drying time" to be a problem and the colours are true to life.
My one grumble is the connection to the wireless network and/or airport printing does not work effectively. As I have the printer plugged into the router via a USB printer cable this is not really a problem but I would find it very annoying otherwise - hence the 4-star rather than 5-star marking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best printer I have ever owned, 26 Jan 2013
Easy to install, very easy to connect to wi-fi, didn't even have to enter wi-fi password, info passed to printer during installation automatically. Did not have to find driver updates, after installation like on previous printers, all done automatically for me. Quick and quiet when printing. Have not printed on any discs yet, so can't comment. Best printer I have owned. Bonus, can now print from my iPad on this printer too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set up and use, 19 Dec 2012
Very easy to set up with the step by step guide. A compact space saving machine for what it does. Not yet sure how long the ink cartridges last and fair;y expensive to buy. However, I like the machine and would recommend it .

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Printer, Top Notch Print Quality!, 22 Aug 2013
S. Miah "omiaho" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I had a Canon PIXMA IP4600 which I had for 2 years or so. The EPSON XP-605 is just much better than the Canon in terms of;

- Print Quality
- Printing Speed
- Software
- Build Quality

What I love is the fact that I don't need to plug my laptop to the printer via USB! The Printer is wireless, so much easier and no cables required!

There is a screen with touch buttons (which are lit up by LED) and it's so easy to use and do photo printing, copying, scanning etc. The DVD printing is so easy and the quality is top notch. I print on Taiyo Yuden Watershield discs and it makes everything look so professional :)

One downside about the printer is that it doesn't have a quiet mode. My previous Canon PIXMA IP4600 did. That's the only negative side of the EPSON and the ink price. So 4 stars from me!

A word of advise don't use Genuine ink (it's all a scam and that's how they make money). Just get refiliable ink system (dye base for normal printing/pigment for t-shirt printing). It cost the same and you get like 400ml compared to a tiny amount in the genuine EPSON ink! That's why printers are cheap because they make profit from inks!

For those who do a lot printing, invest in a CISS print system! Save a lot of money!

I have the white version, totally looks cool. Black version you get finer prints and dust which is visible!

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cracker!, 23 Jan 2014
Used Epson printers a lot since the first colour inkjets, this one does everything it says it will perfectly - throw any sort of paper at it, and it handles it beautifully - and the printing directly on to CDs and DVDs is excellent. The only think I haven't used is the WiFi connection - as it's alongside my MacBook, a cable was easier - and it matched the colour of the MacBook too. Getting it for £99 too was the icing on the cake! Already using third party (aka CHEAPER!) cartridges and results are just as good as the very overpriced Epson offerings. Recommended 100%

Epson XP605 AIO Expression Premium Wi-Fi Photo Printer