4.0 out of 5 stars Hello Moto!
Having used this phone for about a week I feel like I can throw in my 2p worth. I bought this from Expansys since Amazon did not have this phone in stock during launch. My impression so far has been very positive and I am not regretting being an early adopter (at least not yet) at all!

Positives:
- Sleek form factor and ease of use. You can easily use this...
Published on 16 Oct 2012 by Stark_Raving_Mad

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera is the best feature
Battery is not great for my needs, I'd hoped that the fact that it's not removable would be counteracted by the increased size, but that's not the case. I also find connectivity to my 3G network is worse than my previous phone (Galaxy i9000).
Published 17 months ago by Dublin purchaser

4.0 out of 5 stars Hello Moto!, 16 Oct 2012
This review is from: Motorola RAZRi Sim Free Smartphone (discontinued by manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

Positives:
- Sleek form factor and ease of use. You can easily use this one handed for most tasks even if you have average sized hands. I also like the geeky `industrial design' but that is a matter of personal taste. This phone exudes class when held in the hand or laid on a desk.
- Fast & Smooth operation thanks to being very lightly skinned by Motorola (good call on that one!). Ah, the joys of an almost pure Android experience! Scrolling between home pages, opening the app drawer, launching the dialler, phone book, text messaging, launching the camera etc is handled quickly and effortlessly. The circles widget is a very useful thing indeed and I also like the implementation of the lock screen.
- Apps work really well on the phone and I have not come across any I could not install from the 40+ I downloaded from the play store. Apps like Flipboard, Evernote, PlayerPro, Dropbox, Whatsapp, Pocket, Ocado, etc work flawlessly and demanding games (I tried Osmos HD, Dead Space & Dead Trigger) run without any hiccups. Multitasking is also handled with ease and running multiple apps in the background does not slow the phone down much.
- Web browsing with the Chrome browser is perhaps the best I have experienced on a smartphone so far with super fast page loads, text & graphics rendering, page scrolling and tab switching. Pinch zooming and tap-to-zoom is flawless and integration with the Chrome desktop browser is a joy! All my bookmarks are synced between my phone and laptop and I can also see what tabs I have open on my laptop. Brilliant.
- Battery Life is great. I charge my phone fully before going to bed and it easily lasts me 24 hours (if not longer) with higher than average use. With heavy to intense use I would say a full day's use (morning till night) is quite manageable. That is above average for a modern day smartphone.
- Music quality is comparable to its rivals. It won't impress audiophiles (but neither will any other smartphone) but it is acceptable for a mobile phone. The volume level is a little on the lower side compared to an iPhone but you will rarely feel the need to max out (about 70% volume level is plenty loud on this). I used this with my Klipsch S4 & Sennheiser IE6 earphones and the sound was pretty decent. So even though this does not have the crisp highs, well defined lows and balanced sound of my dedicated music player (Creative Zen Vision M) it is on par with modern smartphones.
- Video playback is brilliant even via the stock player. But be sure to download MX player and it's Codec pack for x86 CPUs to make the most of viewing videos on the phone. Videos load up instantaneously, seeking through them is super quick and all types of file formats and resolutions are handled with aplomb! The Youtube app works like a charm. And yes, both the MX player and the Youtube app hide the soft keys for full screen viewing while playing videos :)
- Emailing is quick and painless using both the stock email app or Gmail. Just enter your email ID and passowrd and you're set. I have not used exchange server so can't comment on that.
- Expandable memory. Can't believe I'm listing this as a plus but the recent (disturbing) trend of manufacturers leaving out this valuable feature probably has something to do with it ;) I've used it with my 32 gig card with no issues.
- LED indicator! Now why doesn't every phone have one?? So useful, especially if you make the most of it by using an app like Light Flow LED Control and have different colours for different events (Calls, Texts, Facebook, etc).
- GPS lock is fast! It even gives me a lock indoors (albeit taking more time in doing so). Plus Google Maps loads really quickly and you can now even download a certain area of the map for offline use. I can see this being a very useful navigation device.
- Has NFC so is future proof (apart from not having LTE capability as mentioned in the negatives below).
- Finally, this is really good at being a telephone in case you ever feel like using it as such ;) Call quality is excellent, it keeps good signal strength and connects calls in an instant (almost caught me off guard a couple of times by how quickly it did that!). Even with the poor O2 network (I am on giffgaff) it has not given me any problems so far.

Negatives:
- While the screen is good when it comes to brightness and colour reproduction the low resolution (and PenTile pixel arrangement) becomes apparent while reading text on the device as you can notice the jagged edges every so often. Also, my phone's screen (at least) has a yellowy tinge to its whites especially when compared side by side to an LCD display (EDIT: seems like this differs from model to model so please make sure to check yours as soon as you get it). None of these things matter while viewing pictures & videos or playing games and in normal use though. I think I am blessed (cursed?) with particularly sharp eyesight!
- Despite what I said about how breezy the phone is there is a judder when you zoom in from the overview mode to a particular home screen (some say it is due to the circles widget but this is not the case) and a slight lag when swiping away open apps from the task manager. Again, nothing major but does take away some of the gleam. Hopefully the Jelly Bean upgrade and `Project Butter' should fix these wrinkles!
- I am not a fan of the positioning of the on/off toggles for GPS, Wi Fi, Bluetooth, etc to the left of the main home screen (much prefer them being in the status bar as with TouchWiz). Also, why can't I have my main home screen in the middle? (EDIT: both of these issues can be fixed by installing an app like Notification Toggles and then using a custom launcher like Nova. But I am reviewing this device in it's stock form)
- Camera is strictly average quality wise but acceptable for a camera phone. The rivals have it beat here! All depends on how important this is for you though. It is not really top on my list of priorities so I can live with it.
- Build quality: while the phone feels extremely solid overall there are a few niggling quality issues like gaps between the aluminium frame and the body of the phone (where dust particles will happily reside and call home), a slightly misaligned logo (the metal plate), and also a slight gap on one side of the Kevlar back plating. All of these are only tiny niggles which you will only notice if you really look for them!
- Is not LTE capable so it will not run at 4G speeds if that is something you are considering.

Neutral:
- The speaker is decently loud but very tinny so it's not all that great for listening to music but perfectly serviceable for use as a loudspeaker during calls.
- Motorola's track record for rolling out software upgrades to their past models is patchy at best so I don't know how things will be beyond the promised Jelly Bean upgrade. It is however owned by Google now so I'm trying to be optimistic about it :)

Bottom line:
Despite the above mentioned drawbacks this is one of the best devices in the mid-range price bracket and stacks up very well against the likes of the S2, One S, Galaxy Nexus and the Xperia S. It even matches the current flagship models (S3, One X, Optimus 4x) in many aspects and certainly punches above it's weight. The sleek & compact form factor, almost pure Android experience, good build quality and superb overall user experience helps this phone pip the competition in my opinion!

PS: Apologies for the long review, just felt like I needed to cover all aspects of the phone. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions!

4.0 out of 5 stars You could be surprised.., 2 Nov 2012
I would never normally look to purchase a Motorola phone based on a the usability of a former product. However, I was drawn to looking into the Motorola Razr i by its claims about durability. Being in a job that has caused a few of my past handsets to meet their demise, this appealed to me. Firstly the pictures do not do this phone justice. In the flesh its durability is apparent along with the quality of the materials used in its production. Its no Apple device by any means, but it is well made with quality materials that set it apart from the likes of Samsung and their plethora of plastic clad handsets. To hold in the hand it has a reassuring weight without being too heavy and as already mentioned the materials used add a feel of quality to the product. If I was to have any criticism over its construction it would be that dust has a way of finding the small (and it is small) gap between the frame of the phone and the screen.

Whilst I have mentioned the screen it is worth noting that it is not on a par with the iPhone of Galaxy S3. Its is a lower resolution and is of 'pen tile' type. This means that there is some slight pixellation. However, the screen is clear and bright and by no means the worst out there. Its edge to edge coverage is also impressive with minimal bezel. The Intel processor means that the phone is quick and smooth in operation. Some have questioned the use of a single core processor in these days of the quad core boards, but, they forget to mention that the Intel processor supports hyper threading, just like when its implemented in PC use. This results in fast performance but with better battery performance.

In short if you're looking for durable, fast and professional looking phone this could well be for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to use!!!, 21 Mar 2013
I've hesitated a long time before I purchased my first android smartphone and have researched the market for ages. I've also thought long and hard about buying an Iphone 5 instead. However, as I really didn't want a contract phone, the up-front cost of the sim-free iphones seemed completely overpriced and therefore not an option for me. And after using the Motorola Razr I for a few days now, I'm so glad I chose this phone and didn't go for one of the more expensive androids or an iphone. I'm not into games, I'm not a tech geek and I don't need a status symbol of a phone. I was just looking for a great looking phone, with fast internet browsing and easy to use. I got exactly what I wanted, this phone is just fantastic and most importantly, great value for money!! ! Don't hesitate, you can't go wrong with this phone.

Edit: - UPDATE after 3 months - I'm still as impressed with this phone as after the first few days when I wrote my original review. I still absolutely love the phone. It is just beautiful to look at, has impressive battery life (about 2 1/2 -3 days of light use and not switching it off during the night), fast internet browsing and as it turned out the material really is extremely durable. Had a little accident, my phone ended up flying through the air hitting a concrete wall hard and obviously I feared the worst. But the phone didn't have one scratch, not even the screen. So either I was extremely lucky or the phone really is as sturdy as the Motorola marketing claims...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Android phone!, 26 Feb 2013
This is a great Android phone.

The battery life is very good as long as you play with the settings (like using auto brightness and change some of the developer options)

The screen, although not a good quality as some other more expensive phones is perfectly adequate and very nice to look at and read on.

The processor handles all my apps very well and although it has 5gb internal storage I have over 150 apps installed and still have over half the space left. You cannot 'move' apps to the external SD card but you can save all music and videos onto the external card which is fine.

If you're new to Android then it's all pretty easy to use and set up but the 'Guide Me' app gives first time users all the information they could possibly need in order to work out how to use the phone and do things.

Also, unlike other android phones I've had this phone softward is the closest to plain android which means it doesn't have all the extras like notification quick settings but I prefer this as you can get apps for most things and it's nicer to be able to add your own apps to do these things so at least you can customize them.

Personally I don't like the default home screens that come with most phones so I use 'Nova launcher' which does everything you could imagine and more.

For the notifation quick settings I use 'Notification Toggle' which is very customizable and you can add whatever shortcuts you want to the notifcation bar (including shortcuts to apps as well as people to call them quickly without having to go into your contacts)

If you have any questions regarding this phone or android in general please ask.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great solid phone, 7 Oct 2012
Bought for my mother - Very well built, feels like a quality product, call quality great, ergonomics great - all of is great!
The dedicated camera button is a real bonus - it's indented but it will unlock the phone (if you haven't put a pin on it) and take you straight to the camera. Also functions as a dedicated shutter button too.
Only minor let down is the photo quality of indoor shots but that's a usual issue with phone camera and I am comparing with the galaxy s3 - would ideally knock half a star off for this but amazon doesn't let me. In good light as with most phone cams will give good results.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Size, excellent screen, day to day ease of use., 10 Oct 2012
For more information on the ownership of this phone click comments.

I have a Samsung S3 (I did - just sold it and kept the RAZRi)and recently sold an HTC One X. Note, & iPhone 4S.

Plus points:

1. Screen - bright crisp clear. Brighter than the S3 outdoors especially.
2. Very easy to handle. Using the S3 was/is getting tiresome, too wide/slippery and often sent the phone off on some app or alteration to the screen I didn't want. The RAZRi is so much nicer to hold.
3. Motorola overlay is minimal - you get a true Android appearance which is also good - it's very fast and easy to understand.
4. Audio is loud but not the loudest (cue iPhone) but more than acceptable
5. Battery life seems very good despite having one of the fastest processors in a phone. Motorola/Intel have employed their own battery management system into the RAZRi and I can't remember the last time a smart phone lasted so long off one charge.
6. Love the dedicated camera button - the phone can be in total standby sleep mode and within a fraction of a second it's ready to shoot.
7. Easy to set up email either POP, Gmail or Exchange server. I use all three and had it all up and running in a couple of minutes.
8. Plays media files well, screen is fantastic for images and video playback if a little small if you have been used to staring at a Sammy S3 or ONE X. You will appreciate the extra .3" over the 4" display of a iPhone 5 though.
9. Very good value. Even if you put a whopping 64gB Micro SD card in the device (you then end up with almost 70Gb of storage), the whole lot will set you back less than £385. The iPhone 5 64gB is £699 !!! Totally crazy. Sure it's better made but what at what price? Plus you also never have to touch ITunes ever again. Bliss.
10. Camera - other reviews knock the 8mp set up. Out doors in normal daylight the images are very good and the focusing and HDR capability excellent.

Minus points:

1. Not the prettiest looking device. Not sure who designed the back layout but it's a mess. Old fashioned shiny scratch me now plastic section around the camera area, a slighty tacky Batman (sorry) Motorola logo stuck on the back. However, in saying that the overall feel and design is good, most people commenting is it an iPhone 5 from the front until they see the Moto badge.
2. Looks like Motorola couldn't make their minds up on what type of buttons to use on the right of the device either - all three are different finishes and shapes!
3. The front bezel sitting next to the "edge to edge display" (don't be fooled it isn't - there is a large waste of space to the bottom of the screen and the top), has a gap all round it - ideal for trapping bits of stuff. You won't get it out in a hurry either....
4. If you look down onto the top of the phone you can actually see quite a gap between the two halves and see a strip of aluminium, probably the top of the naff Motorola badge.
5. For all the SHAZAM fans, it seems the Intel processor employed in the RAZRi will not allow the program to work.
6. Inability to store APPS on microSD card. This won't be a problem for most but if you have APP's like SYGIC navigation or any other high memory program, the Motorola will not allow you to instal / run the APP from the SD card. I understand that when the RAZRi is updated to Jellybean (or any other Android phone) it would not be able to store APPs to the SD card anyway. This makes it more important to give users at least 16gB of internal memory as standard. As the internal memory is limited (you are only left with 5gB of useable space out of the box), you have to watch what how many APPs you install. It will allow you to keep all your music, photo's video's etc to the SD card so not all is lost. I have got two nav programs installed and still have 1.7gB of memory left.

In use I like it a lot - light, simple and very clear display. If you are not looking for a flagship phone like the Sammy S3, HTC One X (wait for the latter One X+ anyway) or indeed the stretched iPhone 5 (why?!) then this little phone with a decent 4.3" display may just hit the spot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Camera is the best feature, 30 July 2013
I'm also disappointed that the screen has already picked up a small scratch even though it's gorilla glass, my i9000 was still pristine 3 years after purchase.
Camera is very good and the dedicated camera button is very useful. All in all though, I don't think I would make the same purchase again.
Browsing experience is adequate and the display is good, but, I regret not holding out for another few weeks and purchasing the s4 mini.

Pros: Camera is excellent
Cons: Battery is poor and not removable (why are more and more manufacturers going this way, surely they should see the sales of extra batteries as revenue generating).

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic, solid and well put together little phone!, 16 Oct 2012
Mr P (Hitchin (UK)) - See all my reviews
i've recently returned both an iphone 5 (too expensive) and a samsung galaxy nexus (good price but too big/poor battery/no expandable memory) in favour of this fantastic, solid and well put together little phone.

perfect size and form factor
excellent battery life
excellent call quality
notification led
impressive build quality
android ics (jb on the way) with just a hint of moto
expandable sd upto 32gb
dedicated camera button
reasonable price point
fast gps lock

average camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Razr-i Review, 12 Oct 2012
Tried to buy from amazon when it went on sale but wasn't in stock, found another seller from the Motorola website and it was delivered the next day.

I haven't used it much as waiting on a couple of things I've ordered to arrive before I use it properly.

The phone looks and feels great, very quick when going through the menus and swiping left/right. Only lag I found was when pressing the option for the open apps. However done a bit of searching on the net and this will apparently be sorted with JellyBean update. Adobe Flash/Air do not work on this as the phone isn't compatible, this is due to the Intel processor. The camera loads up very quickly and I was happy with the picture quality.

One downside I found is that a couple of review sites which I read prior to purchasing the phone mentioned that when recording video you are able to take a picture at the same time. This is also shown on a Motorola howto Youtube video, however when I tried this on mine the option wasn't there. I spoke to Motorola who confirmed this, it looks like this option is only available on the American version.

Overall it is a good phone and I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You don't need to spend £400 for the best, 29 Aug 2013
When it came to phones, I'd always assumed you'd need to pay £400+ for the 'perfect' phone. But there was always an issue. 2GB RAM phones started coming out so why bother with a 1GB RAM phone? Why do you want single core when you can have quad core? Why do you want an 8MP camera phone when there are 12MP camera phones on the market? Well, there is a reason why you don't need 2GB of RAM, why you don't need a quad core and why you don't need a 12MP camera. And it's the Razr i.

I love being mobile. I love having the feeling of being able to put everything in a bag and just go and not need electricity or anything will you're on the go. My tablet has a 12-hour battery life, my bluetooth headphones have a 30-hour battery and the Razr i will survive for 2 days comfortably with sparse usage. When the phone arrived, I thought it was beautiful. Dedicated camera button to bypass the lock screen, very easy to access the Micro SIM and SD slots and beautiful back as well. Charged it up and with its very first charge, bearing in mind I was abusing the thing for about 8 hours whilst syncing it with my Google account, getting all the album artwork for my music and playing around with all the settings (as well as spending about 3 hours paired with my bluetooth headphones listening to music on full volume), I got 20 hours out of it. From 10pm til 6pm. Amazing. The iPhone, S4 and whatever else could not even dream of that. I'd be surprised if they last even 10 hours with all of that activity and it's easy to understand why. Pointless 1080p resolution (you can't even notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on a 13" Macbook Pro, so how can you notice the difference on a 4-5" mobile phone screen?) which sucks life out of the battery for no reason, way more RAM that it knows what to do with unless you're playing GTA or Fifa or something and the chip is stupidly fast.

Smart Actions is a brilliant pre-loaded app. You can configure the phone to do things at certain points of the day/when you get to a certain place/when you turn something on or off. For example, WinAmp will now automatically play music after the phone pairs with my headphones. You can configure it to turn WiFi off and turn mobile internet on when you leave the house. You can set up a custom low battery setting for whenever the battery reaches whatever % you want.

The camera I've barely used. Can't comment but seems very decent. The flash is very bright.

The phone zips along and shows no signs of lagging whatsoever, irrespective of how many apps are open - granted, none of mine are particularly taxing but can easily have 8-10 apps open at once and change between them in a second and pick up exactly where I left off. Chrome zips along as well. Rapid. Waking the phone up is instant. Swipe left from the homepage and you've got all the on/off toggles you could possibly want. Very quick. A slight issue is that Alarm Clock Pro doesn't work properly - after the alarm is dismissed, it will continue to go off. You need to restart the phone to stop it, but this is an issue with the app, not the phone. I had the app on my HTC Sensation for 2 years and it worked perfectly.

For me, somebody who doesn't play games (well, I like Candy Crush but it doesn't work on the Razr i - probably a good thing anyway), who doesn't want a pointless 1080p screen, who doesn't want a 5" screen that they can't hold in their hand properly, who doesn't want to pay £400 for a mobile phone, who doesn't want to have to charge the thing every single night and who doesn't want to keep dropping it because it doesn't fit comfortably in your hand, the Razr i is the phone to get. A magic bit of equipment. I paid £228 for this 2 weeks ago and it's gone up to £250 since. Only brilliant bits of hardware go back up in price 10 months after they've been released.