4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of functionality, small footprint, reasonable price...
Published 4 months ago by North American Technology Consumer

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless For Streaming
Works OK for internet browsing, but no better coverage or speed than my previous generation router. Freezes after a few minutes when trying to stream video and requires resetting to get it going again, at which point it freezes again after another few minutes. Emailed TP Link support but got no response.

Bought this from Kikatek and they charged a restocking...
Published 3 months ago by Doc666

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of functionality, small footprint, reasonable price..., 22 Nov. 2014
North American Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The cost of wireless routers has fallen so much in recent years (at least on this side of the pond) that I'm sometimes suspicious of the true capabilities of those that fall to what might be considered "bargain" prices. I set out on my experience with the TP-Link C20i with relatively modest performance expectations. I should have set the bar higher, because this router exceeded what I expected at every turn (except one...see below).

This router ships with the usual hardware: the router itself, a short RJ45 cable and an AC power adapter.

Five ethernet ports occupy the bottom of the rear panel (1 wired Internet input port and 4 wired output ports).

The right side panel has a USB port and three buttons: a dual-function WPS/reset button, a wireless on/off button and an On/Off button.

The front panel has a row of small LED indicators (showing the status of power/wireless connectivity/wired connectivity/Internet connectivity/USB connectivity/WPS). These are very small, and very subtle (perhaps too much so).

Instead of using the enclosed resource CD, I set up this router via its internal server functions. The URL and default passwords are indicated both in the quick start guide and on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

Basic configuration was very easy. I was able to change the SSID name for both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ transmitters immediately. The rest of the web interface very similar to other routers, with menus for basic/advanced configuration options and router/network system information. This router supports six current 802.11 standards (ac/n/g/b/a/e/i and multiple IEEE draft standards and practices).

In addition to the "master" wireless on/off switch on the router, you can configure the router to run any or all of the 2.4, 5 GHZ and a guest network access points.

It also provides printer and DLNA media services (which I have not tested).

Setting up the functions most important to me --MAC address filtering and IP address reservations, for extra control/consistent access to/by Internet enabled devices attached to my network-- was very easy.

I set up the router on the ground floor, and had excellent signal strength in all areas of the house (including the farthest corners of the basement and second floor).

This router has a very small footprint.

So why four stars instead of five:

-I routinely run 3 or 4 wired devices (NAS, printer/fax/PC and a variable fourth device). I prefer routers with an indicator/status light for each port. While the ports for this are abundant, the indicator/status information is incomplete. This is not a show stopper, and if this isn't important to you, consider this a 5-star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Impresssive TP-Link product, A lot of bang for your buck!, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (Accessory)
Exellent item, I had a TP link router in before I bought this and it just went on for years. After ordering a Asus one that arrived DOA I decided a refund was needed and got this one. I'm not dissapointed, it s far far better than a standard virgin super hub, but so is a couple of paper cups and a piece of string. You have loads of setup options and is easy to confgure. I did'nt bother with the install CD i Just connected in with my LAN and configured that way. The GUI makes setting up this way a breeze anyway. Set my MTU rate, Set the ports throughput and WIFI config and hey presto off we go! It hasa really good range in 2.4ghz and a little less in 5ghz but thats to be expected. You can also configure both sides of the WIFI to either 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz which is useful if you dont have anything capable to receive 5Ghz but little else. The TP-link app is nice as well to see who's connected. I.E if your kids are meant to be asleep and watching youtube on their tablets etc you can boot them off, or just to see if anyone is connected who shouldnt be. It even gives you some of the routers settings and option to reboot! It would appear that this router has won quite a few awards, its not hard to see why. No its not going to be as fast as a AC router, but its quick, very very stable, easy to setup, loads of config options with a nice GUI, has two usb ports for media use and I've always found TP-links web support brilliant. I'd buy Another TP-link over pretty much anything else now. So should you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Router. Great Bang for your Buck!, 4 Jan. 2015
Paul MacDonald (Hemel Hempstead/Sheffield) - See all my reviews
When I compare this to the router that PlusNet sent me out it is so much better in so many ways!
Just to give you an idea of what my situation is,
Big Victorian House with 40mb Fibre with Plusnet (which I get speeds of 40mb/s down and 20mb/s up).

On comparison with the stock Plusnet router (which is some form of Technicolor router) I have found these conclusions.
-- Much better coverage of the house
-- Faster speeds all round (especially on the 5Ghz band)
-- A lot more features and much easier to understand.

------------------------PROS------------------------
-- Great coverage and fast speeds
-- USB Storage! - You may not think you need it until you have it! Having a Ext. Hard Drive connected to it when you have multiple computers is very useful. Unless you have a home server or something! It can also be used as an FTP so you can access files remotely!
-- Set up is simple and straight forward, anyone could do it!
-- Port forwarding and most other tools are straight forward.
-- 5Ghz and 2.4Ghz networks can be disabled separately and they are treated as separate networks (2 Different SSIDS)
-- Guest network can be used and internet access can be restricted on any of the networks
-- Looks nice and sleek

------------------------CONS------------------------
-- As far as I can tell there is no way to remotely connect to it. Please correct me if I am wrong!
-- Due to where the led's are located, and how I have placed my router, I have to get a chair to look at them properly! (This is more my fault though!)
-- You can't name devices how you'd like so you loose a bit of customization that way.

All in all this Router is great especially for the cost. If you are looking for a cheap, reliable and strong router which has lots of features then this is what you want! Happy Buying!

5.0 out of 5 stars good router but setup hickups for me., 31 Aug. 2014
Excellent product but not as easy to set up as my last TP-Link router. I bought this to use with the new Virgin superhub 2
which was no better than the superhub 1 for wireless speed. I used the easy setup CD as I have with previous routers but gave up after 2 hours of rebooting and checking connections. next day I used the web based setup "tplinklogin.net" and found the wireless was turned off. I now get 95meg download and 6.25 upload speeds and it simultaneously broadcasts on 2.4 and 5gz.

4.0 out of 5 stars better wi-fi coverage than my old Linksys, 19 Jan. 2015
Setup was simple, better wi-fi coverage than my old Linksys, MUCH better coverage than the rubbish Virgin Media smart hub. The addition of a USB port for turning a USB hard drive into a NAS is nice, and works perfectly. Setting up port forwarding, guest wireless, parental controls... It's all simple through the browser based UI. Also if you're a bit unsure what any of the options are, they're all really well explained in the UI as you hover over them.

The only negative I can think of is that the built in media server is not a true DLNA certified service, which means that some devices may not recognise it. Our Samsung 2013 model TV doesn't recognise it for example, but the Sony bluray player, the PS3, and all our Windows and Android devices are quite happy with it. So if the media server is an important part for you, I'd recommend you do a Google search to see if anyone has had any issues with your hardware before committing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good WiFi range, good build quality! ADSL USERS: YOU NEED AN ADSL MODEM!, 23 Feb. 2014
The WiFi range is very good: it'll easily cover a medium sized house. I find the speeds to be consistently good too, even in weaker WiFi coverage areas.

The router is built well: it feels like it will stand-up to many years of use. There are also plenty of air-vents so it doesn't get even get warm: it's always very cold to the touch. The only issue is the glossy plastic TP-Link have used: it scratches very easily, so the router certainly doesn't look brand new if looked at in the light. But, it's a router, so do you really care about what it looks like?

What I really like about it is that it is open. I installed the 'Gargoyle' firmware on it, which provides a feature called Quality of Service (QOS). What this means is that we can all be online at the same time, without issues. For example, one of my Sons can be gaming and I can be watching Netflix. Netflix doesn't buffer and my Son's game doesn't lag. It really is excellent. If you want more info, search 'Gargoyle firmware' on Google.

Overall then, really, really good. I would definitely recommend this router!

PLEASE READ ADSL USERS: this is a router ONLY, so if you are going to be using it on an ADSL connection you'll either need an ADSL modem or an ADSL (modem) router than can be put into modem-only mode/bridge mode. Any questions, feel free to post them in the comments and I will do my best to help you out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent router with the price, 27 Feb. 2015
I ordered this router after reading reviews, and asking few questions. I am really thankful to people here as they have promptly replied to my silly queries. I liked this model as it was quite good router with the price and dual band option.
I selected fastest delivery method using Amazon prime, and got it delivered within 24 hours.

I already have a main TALK TALK router, so only wanted to use this one as wireless access point. I was in doubt whether I would be able to set this up correctly or not. I did not have much knowledge of all this but I managed to set this up within half and hour. The process was very simple, but with one problem and I will explain in detail later how i rectified the problem. The router is very simple to use. There are plenty of information available on internet how to use set up two router together, I selected the LAN to LAN option. To set this up you need to do the following steps:-
1. Get your main router IP address and make sure your secondary router IP address is different.
2. I connected this router with my laptop using the ethernet cable provided in the box.
3. I opened the admin panel, you can find the log in details on the back of router.
4. I changed the ip address of this router to 192.168.1.3 as my main router was using 192.168.1.1 and rebooted.
5. I set up the wireless mode then, by default both bands were selected. I typed in the new SSID and new password key.
6. I chose the the WPA2 security option.
7. After that I disable the DHCP option as my main router will do that.
8. I rebooted the device. All done.
8. I plugged in the ethernet cable from my main router Lan port to this router lan port.

I saw two WIFI options available straight away, as it is dual band.
I tried connecting to lower band one and connected easily. However, when I tried connecting to 5ghz one, it did not work.
I was little bit confused, because I followed all the steps correctly. I tried my another device to connect to the 5Ghz one, but still the same.
I logged in back to the admin panel again, and upgraded the firmware and rebooted again.

And guess what, I am able to connect to both band successfully. I have a small apartment, and i am getting the signal everywhere in my house.
I am so happy with the product and have given full stars. And I love the amazon service.
I will highly recommend this product to everyone.

I will update my experience once I use it for couple of months hopefully.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and does the job!, 31 Jan. 2015
Excellent for Sky Fibre users wanting to upgrade their routers. I have installed OpenWRT on it, which allows me to use this with sky and many other features such as VLANs and Multi WAN. If you want a new router to replace your current free one from your ISP, this is good for you! Wifi is speedy too.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless For Streaming, 3 Dec. 2014

Bought this from Kikatek and they charged a restocking fee to take it back and issue a refund (as just outside their 14 day return period), even although it was clearly faulty. So one star for them too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with the same features as business routers 10 times the price!, 14 Sept. 2014
Andy (Gloucester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been looking for a router that can manage my bandwidth for my Severn FM Internet Radio station guaranteeing the upstream is not compromised. I've tried a few different Linksys Routers (Cisco) who promise "media prioritisation" but even though they don't explicitly state this in their marketing blurb, they only support downstream. This TP-Link has access control, proper bandwidth control, packed with features that routers costing 10 times as much have and is a very powerful but cost effective way of connecting to my cable modem. IT does everything I need at a good price!!! This is my first Amazon review despite being an Amazon customer for 8 years but this router is maintenance free and just WORKS!