5.0 out of 5 stars An Impresssive TP-Link product, A lot of bang for your buck!
Published 8 months ago by steve

2.0 out of 5 stars Works beautifully over ethernet connection so it seems to be specifically ...
very intermittent wireless signal on both bands.... could be due to interference but had an earlier TP-Link model which was not as badly affected. The speed is reduced significantly over wireless, which shouldn't happen to the extent it does. Works beautifully over ethernet connection so it seems to be specifically a wireless issue. Have tried multiple channels and...
Published 10 months ago by Gareth Eckley

5.0 out of 5 stars An Impresssive TP-Link product, A lot of bang for your buck!, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (Accessory)
Exellent item, I had a TP link router in before I bought this and it just went on for years. After ordering a Asus one that arrived DOA I decided a refund was needed and got this one. I'm not dissapointed, it s far far better than a standard virgin super hub, but so is a couple of paper cups and a piece of string. You have loads of setup options and is easy to confgure. I did'nt bother with the install CD i Just connected in with my LAN and configured that way. The GUI makes setting up this way a breeze anyway. Set my MTU rate, Set the ports throughput and WIFI config and hey presto off we go! It hasa really good range in 2.4ghz and a little less in 5ghz but thats to be expected. You can also configure both sides of the WIFI to either 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz which is useful if you dont have anything capable to receive 5Ghz but little else. The TP-link app is nice as well to see who's connected. I.E if your kids are meant to be asleep and watching youtube on their tablets etc you can boot them off, or just to see if anyone is connected who shouldnt be. It even gives you some of the routers settings and option to reboot! It would appear that this router has won quite a few awards, its not hard to see why. No its not going to be as fast as a AC router, but its quick, very very stable, easy to setup, loads of config options with a nice GUI, has two usb ports for media use and I've always found TP-links web support brilliant. I'd buy Another TP-link over pretty much anything else now. So should you!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of functionality, small footprint, reasonable price..., 22 Nov. 2014
Long-Suffering Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The cost of wireless routers has fallen so much in recent years (at least on this side of the pond) that I'm sometimes suspicious of the true capabilities of those that fall to what might be considered "bargain" prices. I set out on my experience with the TP-Link C20i with relatively modest performance expectations. I should have set the bar higher, because this router exceeded what I expected at every turn (except one...see below).

This router ships with the usual hardware: the router itself, a short RJ45 cable and an AC power adapter.

Five ethernet ports occupy the bottom of the rear panel (1 wired Internet input port and 4 wired output ports).

The right side panel has a USB port and three buttons: a dual-function WPS/reset button, a wireless on/off button and an On/Off button.

The front panel has a row of small LED indicators (showing the status of power/wireless connectivity/wired connectivity/Internet connectivity/USB connectivity/WPS). These are very small, and very subtle (perhaps too much so).

Instead of using the enclosed resource CD, I set up this router via its internal server functions. The URL and default passwords are indicated both in the quick start guide and on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

Basic configuration was very easy. I was able to change the SSID name for both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ transmitters immediately. The rest of the web interface very similar to other routers, with menus for basic/advanced configuration options and router/network system information. This router supports six current 802.11 standards (ac/n/g/b/a/e/i and multiple IEEE draft standards and practices).

In addition to the "master" wireless on/off switch on the router, you can configure the router to run any or all of the 2.4, 5 GHZ and a guest network access points.

It also provides printer and DLNA media services (which I have not tested).

Setting up the functions most important to me --MAC address filtering and IP address reservations, for extra control/consistent access to/by Internet enabled devices attached to my network-- was very easy.

I set up the router on the ground floor, and had excellent signal strength in all areas of the house (including the farthest corners of the basement and second floor).

This router has a very small footprint.

So why four stars instead of five:

-I routinely run 3 or 4 wired devices (NAS, printer/fax/PC and a variable fourth device). I prefer routers with an indicator/status light for each port. While the ports for this are abundant, the indicator/status information is incomplete. This is not a show stopper, and if this isn't important to you, consider this a 5-star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with the same features as business routers 10 times the price!, 14 Sept. 2014
Andy (Gloucester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been looking for a router that can manage my bandwidth for my Severn FM Internet Radio station guaranteeing the upstream is not compromised. I've tried a few different Linksys Routers (Cisco) who promise "media prioritisation" but even though they don't explicitly state this in their marketing blurb, they only support downstream. This TP-Link has access control, proper bandwidth control, packed with features that routers costing 10 times as much have and is a very powerful but cost effective way of connecting to my cable modem. IT does everything I need at a good price!!! This is my first Amazon review despite being an Amazon customer for 8 years but this router is maintenance free and just WORKS!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and does the job!, 31 Jan. 2015
Excellent for Sky Fibre users wanting to upgrade their routers. I have installed OpenWRT on it, which allows me to use this with sky and many other features such as VLANs and Multi WAN. If you want a new router to replace your current free one from your ISP, this is good for you! Wifi is speedy too.

4.0 out of 5 stars better wi-fi coverage than my old Linksys, 19 Jan. 2015
Setup was simple, better wi-fi coverage than my old Linksys, MUCH better coverage than the rubbish Virgin Media smart hub. The addition of a USB port for turning a USB hard drive into a NAS is nice, and works perfectly. Setting up port forwarding, guest wireless, parental controls... It's all simple through the browser based UI. Also if you're a bit unsure what any of the options are, they're all really well explained in the UI as you hover over them.

The only negative I can think of is that the built in media server is not a true DLNA certified service, which means that some devices may not recognise it. Our Samsung 2013 model TV doesn't recognise it for example, but the Sony bluray player, the PS3, and all our Windows and Android devices are quite happy with it. So if the media server is an important part for you, I'd recommend you do a Google search to see if anyone has had any issues with your hardware before committing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to set-up!, 24 Sept. 2012
This advanced easy to set-up router comes with the functionality to broadcast and receive both 2.4GHz and 5GHz connections simultaneously at 300mbps. Simultaneous dual band allowed us to have 600mbps of total bandwidth to power numerous bandwidth intensive applications in our very large house. Now simple tasks such as e-mail or web browsing can be handled by the 2.4GHz and more bandwidth sensitive tasks such as online gaming or HD video streaming can be processed over the 5GHz band at 300mbps, at the same time giving us smooth undisturbed access to internet. This TP-LINK Router has external antennas this really gave us greater coverage over the Virgin Super Hub which has internet antennas allowing us to use wireless internet all around our house.
The five Gigabit (1000mbps) ports on the router are being utilised by our multimedia devices such as my Smart TV, Virgin TiVo Box, PS3, BluRay & NAS Hard Drive giving the devices again giving us smooth undisturbed access to the internet and our internal network. In addition, the 2 USB 2.0 ports allowed us to share our non-wireless printer (saved us money on buying a new wireless printer) on the same network and also another hard drive which we use it as a family back up (saved us more money on buying a new NAS Hard Drive).
This amazing TP-LINK Router has totally replaced our Virgin Media Super Hub Router which was unable to provide Simultaneous dual band wireless meaning we always struggled to get the most out of our 30mbps internet connection. This affordable (cheaper than equivalent brands), well built, smart looking TP-LINK router which is neat enough to blend in well with the other technology items around has totally changed our lifestyle for the good. We couldn't have asked for more for the money we paid for this router! I just hope that Internet Service Providers start to supply TP-LINK Dual Band Routers with their Super-Fast Connections.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miles ahead of standard routers, 15 July 2014
I bought this as an upgrade for my home Wifi, and I've been very happy with it.

The best thing is the dual 2.4 GHz / 5.0 GHz capability, and I use both: When I'm connected to the 5.0 GHz network I get lightning fast (often close to 300 mbps) transfer rates. Better still, it's still the only 5.0 GHz network in my neighborhood, so I have the whole spectrum for myself with no interference.

The 2.4 GHz network also works well (for backwards compatibility), and I've been able to set it to a channel that my neighbors aren't using, thereby reducing interference and increasing reliability and speed.

Other useful features include the ability to adjust how bandwidth gets allocated between devices. While I have plenty of download capacity, upload is tight, and I've been able to set up some rules that help make sure that it get shared fairly in the house.

You can configure a lot of stuff; I don't use all the functions, but if you know a bit about routers it's very easy to work with.

Compared to the standard wireless routers you get from your ISP this router is miles ahead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid router, 15 July 2013
Had trouble initially setting up the router and had problems with gaining wireless coverage. However, realised that I made a mistake with the router's own internal settings (namely disabling SSID which doesn't seem to be worth it!). But troubles aside, I actually consider this to be a very, very good router. I paid about £60 for it and I am glad I made the plunge. I am currently using Plusnet Fibre and my previous router, as supplied by Plusnet, gave me intermittent periods of inactivity. Every few hours or so, my internet would completely disconnect. Thankfully since purchasing this router I have no had a single issue with my connection. It has been rock solid 24/7. Wireless coverage is good, and I'm getting decent speeds with the router too. I haven't tried the USB file sharing feature but I imagine it will be quite handy. The year 3 warranty is also a bonus, should anything go wrong with the router.

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, 11 Sept. 2012
TL-WDR3600 - N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
[...]

The packaging is very easy to access and tidy. Very impressed with the overall quality and presentation of the TP-Link N600. This shows attention to detail and gives me confidence that the equipment inside is good quality.

Inside the box of course we have the router itself, power adapter, a network cable to attach it to an existing cable modem and also the aerials for router itself. With the very well laid out instructions are also enclosed there is also set-up CD. Everything you need to set up the router.

First look at the router shows that is well made with gloss black style that fits in very well near the TV/Media centre. As more devices require a network connections I think that the router could spend more time near this area in the home. My setup includes the Blu-ray player, Media PC, Network Attached Storage (think big hard drive that any computer can access if they are connected via Wi-Fi or network cable.) and PS3 using all four Gigabit network ports, all in the one place in the living room.

The reason that Gigabit wired ports and Dual Band Wireless N features on the router are very important is the fact the home network will be used to stream music and video over my network. I need the connection to be as fast as it can as streaming media can use a lot of bandwidth, or think of it like this, I can fit more water down a drain pipe than a hose pipe. I have a fast connection between my Media PC and my Network Storage so HD movies are watched in ease with no stuttering while others are surfing the internet.

The 2 USB ports are an ideal edition to the router as this allows you to plug in a External USB hard drive that may already have your music and movies on it and the router will then act as a file/media server for other devices on the network. An iPad could watch a TV show in one room while a laptop could be listening to music. Want to add more music or another film? Just copy across and let the router do the work, then everyone can access the media.

The USB ports also allow you to share a printer across all your computers. No more waiting for the PC with the printer connected to it to boot up while figuring out how to transfer the file to said PC

One feature that is going to be amazing for many households is Bandwidth Management. This allows you to set how much of the "pipe" each user gets. For example, If was starting to download a file, the network would become slow for other users who are surfing the net. With bandwidth management a gamer could be set to use a small about of the pipe which is enough to play games, but other users can comfortably surf the net.

Using the Bandwidth Management in conjunction with the inbuilt Traffic Shaping means that in a busy house or indeed business, the available bandwidth on the broadband can be much better managed and utilised. In plain terms it means that the internet connection will be feel much better for all the users

All in all this is a great upgrade for a network. It is a great way to add a lot of functionality to a home network. Very reliable over the ISP kit that is installed and really impressed at how easy it was.

In fact, I like the TP-Link N600 Dual Band Router so much, I have bought it to run my network permanently!

Review by S.A. Cowie Snr Computer Engineer - PC Solutions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stability, stability, stability, 4 April 2015
After more than a year suffering BT HomeHub 3's dropped LAN connections - nothing seemed to last more than a couple of days - I finally bit the bullet and ordered the TP-LINK Archer C2. What a difference! After 10 days, all connections are rock solid. Setup is simple - 10 minutes max - and the web interface allows direct access to all functions with just one or two clicks (as opposed to the HomeHub, which favours the scenic route). It's slightly irritating that you can't rename devices in the client list, but given the stability of the connections, it's a small price to pay. Highly recommended.