4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of functionality, small footprint, reasonable price...
Published 5 months ago by Long-Suffering Technology Consumer

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FOR NETWORK ATTATCHED STORAGE.
When used with a hard drive connected, it's horrible. Speed of file transfers is diabolical and the entire bandwidth of the machine is bottlenecked by file transfers, killing the internet connection for everyone connected. Essentially this makes it useless, and I feel like I've been robbed, for a feature I really needed that just does not work adequately.
Published 4 months ago by Liam Gaughan

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of functionality, small footprint, reasonable price..., 22 Nov. 2014
Long-Suffering Technology Consumer (Mid Atlantic, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
The cost of wireless routers has fallen so much in recent years (at least on this side of the pond) that I'm sometimes suspicious of the true capabilities of those that fall to what might be considered "bargain" prices. I set out on my experience with the TP-Link C20i with relatively modest performance expectations. I should have set the bar higher, because this router exceeded what I expected at every turn (except one...see below).

This router ships with the usual hardware: the router itself, a short RJ45 cable and an AC power adapter.

Five ethernet ports occupy the bottom of the rear panel (1 wired Internet input port and 4 wired output ports).

The right side panel has a USB port and three buttons: a dual-function WPS/reset button, a wireless on/off button and an On/Off button.

The front panel has a row of small LED indicators (showing the status of power/wireless connectivity/wired connectivity/Internet connectivity/USB connectivity/WPS). These are very small, and very subtle (perhaps too much so).

Instead of using the enclosed resource CD, I set up this router via its internal server functions. The URL and default passwords are indicated both in the quick start guide and on a sticker on the bottom of the router.

Basic configuration was very easy. I was able to change the SSID name for both the 2.4 and 5 GHZ transmitters immediately. The rest of the web interface very similar to other routers, with menus for basic/advanced configuration options and router/network system information. This router supports six current 802.11 standards (ac/n/g/b/a/e/i and multiple IEEE draft standards and practices).

In addition to the "master" wireless on/off switch on the router, you can configure the router to run any or all of the 2.4, 5 GHZ and a guest network access points.

It also provides printer and DLNA media services (which I have not tested).

Setting up the functions most important to me --MAC address filtering and IP address reservations, for extra control/consistent access to/by Internet enabled devices attached to my network-- was very easy.

I set up the router on the ground floor, and had excellent signal strength in all areas of the house (including the farthest corners of the basement and second floor).

This router has a very small footprint.

So why four stars instead of five:

-I routinely run 3 or 4 wired devices (NAS, printer/fax/PC and a variable fourth device). I prefer routers with an indicator/status light for each port. While the ports for this are abundant, the indicator/status information is incomplete. This is not a show stopper, and if this isn't important to you, consider this a 5-star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Impresssive TP-Link product, A lot of bang for your buck!, 13 Nov. 2014
This review is from: TP-LINK TL-WDR3600 N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Cable Router (Accessory)
Exellent item, I had a TP link router in before I bought this and it just went on for years. After ordering a Asus one that arrived DOA I decided a refund was needed and got this one. I'm not dissapointed, it s far far better than a standard virgin super hub, but so is a couple of paper cups and a piece of string. You have loads of setup options and is easy to confgure. I did'nt bother with the install CD i Just connected in with my LAN and configured that way. The GUI makes setting up this way a breeze anyway. Set my MTU rate, Set the ports throughput and WIFI config and hey presto off we go! It hasa really good range in 2.4ghz and a little less in 5ghz but thats to be expected. You can also configure both sides of the WIFI to either 5Ghz or 2.4 Ghz which is useful if you dont have anything capable to receive 5Ghz but little else. The TP-link app is nice as well to see who's connected. I.E if your kids are meant to be asleep and watching youtube on their tablets etc you can boot them off, or just to see if anyone is connected who shouldnt be. It even gives you some of the routers settings and option to reboot! It would appear that this router has won quite a few awards, its not hard to see why. No its not going to be as fast as a AC router, but its quick, very very stable, easy to setup, loads of config options with a nice GUI, has two usb ports for media use and I've always found TP-links web support brilliant. I'd buy Another TP-link over pretty much anything else now. So should you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and does the job!, 31 Jan. 2015
Excellent for Sky Fibre users wanting to upgrade their routers. I have installed OpenWRT on it, which allows me to use this with sky and many other features such as VLANs and Multi WAN. If you want a new router to replace your current free one from your ISP, this is good for you! Wifi is speedy too.

4.0 out of 5 stars better wi-fi coverage than my old Linksys, 19 Jan. 2015
Setup was simple, better wi-fi coverage than my old Linksys, MUCH better coverage than the rubbish Virgin Media smart hub. The addition of a USB port for turning a USB hard drive into a NAS is nice, and works perfectly. Setting up port forwarding, guest wireless, parental controls... It's all simple through the browser based UI. Also if you're a bit unsure what any of the options are, they're all really well explained in the UI as you hover over them.

The only negative I can think of is that the built in media server is not a true DLNA certified service, which means that some devices may not recognise it. Our Samsung 2013 model TV doesn't recognise it for example, but the Sony bluray player, the PS3, and all our Windows and Android devices are quite happy with it. So if the media server is an important part for you, I'd recommend you do a Google search to see if anyone has had any issues with your hardware before committing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Packed with the same features as business routers 10 times the price!, 14 Sept. 2014
Andy (Gloucester, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I've been looking for a router that can manage my bandwidth for my Severn FM Internet Radio station guaranteeing the upstream is not compromised. I've tried a few different Linksys Routers (Cisco) who promise "media prioritisation" but even though they don't explicitly state this in their marketing blurb, they only support downstream. This TP-Link has access control, proper bandwidth control, packed with features that routers costing 10 times as much have and is a very powerful but cost effective way of connecting to my cable modem. IT does everything I need at a good price!!! This is my first Amazon review despite being an Amazon customer for 8 years but this router is maintenance free and just WORKS!

2.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY FOR NETWORK ATTATCHED STORAGE., 2 Dec. 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent OpenWRT compatible router, 4 Aug. 2014
Excellent router. I've always found TP-Link kit to be reliable and cheap and this is no exception. I use a Draytek Vigor 2920n elsewhere but opted for the TL-WDR3600 this time on cost. The stock firmware lacks some features (certainly compared to the Draytek!) but this router can run alternative firmware; making its feature set on par with routers costing three times the price and up.

I've put OpenWRT on this and up and running with our multiple public Static IP assignment in no time (Zen Fibre). Good hardware and a proven OpenWRT model. Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good WiFi range, good build quality! ADSL USERS: YOU NEED AN ADSL MODEM!, 23 Feb. 2014
The WiFi range is very good: it'll easily cover a medium sized house. I find the speeds to be consistently good too, even in weaker WiFi coverage areas.

The router is built well: it feels like it will stand-up to many years of use. There are also plenty of air-vents so it doesn't get even get warm: it's always very cold to the touch. The only issue is the glossy plastic TP-Link have used: it scratches very easily, so the router certainly doesn't look brand new if looked at in the light. But, it's a router, so do you really care about what it looks like?

What I really like about it is that it is open. I installed the 'Gargoyle' firmware on it, which provides a feature called Quality of Service (QOS). What this means is that we can all be online at the same time, without issues. For example, one of my Sons can be gaming and I can be watching Netflix. Netflix doesn't buffer and my Son's game doesn't lag. It really is excellent. If you want more info, search 'Gargoyle firmware' on Google.

Overall then, really, really good. I would definitely recommend this router!

PLEASE READ ADSL USERS: this is a router ONLY, so if you are going to be using it on an ADSL connection you'll either need an ADSL modem or an ADSL (modem) router than can be put into modem-only mode/bridge mode. Any questions, feel free to post them in the comments and I will do my best to help you out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Router, Loads of Features, lightening fast speeds, 13 Sept. 2014
Great Router, works and routes fine. Have used Belkins and Netgears for years but found that they always seem to die after 2 years.
2 USB ports and 5GHz is everything I need, plus it's connected to my:
TV, BLURAY, SKY, XBOX and Sky Fibre router.
Fibre comes in at 39.5Mbps, and a speedtest using the 5Ghz router gets me 39.2Mbps - negligable signal loss!
Well worth it.
Only downside is it has green LEDs instead of blue, oh well! Hoping this lasts more than 2 years....

5.0 out of 5 stars TP-LINK N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router, 11 Sept. 2012
TL-WDR3600 - N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router
[...]

The packaging is very easy to access and tidy. Very impressed with the overall quality and presentation of the TP-Link N600. This shows attention to detail and gives me confidence that the equipment inside is good quality.

Inside the box of course we have the router itself, power adapter, a network cable to attach it to an existing cable modem and also the aerials for router itself. With the very well laid out instructions are also enclosed there is also set-up CD. Everything you need to set up the router.

First look at the router shows that is well made with gloss black style that fits in very well near the TV/Media centre. As more devices require a network connections I think that the router could spend more time near this area in the home. My setup includes the Blu-ray player, Media PC, Network Attached Storage (think big hard drive that any computer can access if they are connected via Wi-Fi or network cable.) and PS3 using all four Gigabit network ports, all in the one place in the living room.

The reason that Gigabit wired ports and Dual Band Wireless N features on the router are very important is the fact the home network will be used to stream music and video over my network. I need the connection to be as fast as it can as streaming media can use a lot of bandwidth, or think of it like this, I can fit more water down a drain pipe than a hose pipe. I have a fast connection between my Media PC and my Network Storage so HD movies are watched in ease with no stuttering while others are surfing the internet.

The 2 USB ports are an ideal edition to the router as this allows you to plug in a External USB hard drive that may already have your music and movies on it and the router will then act as a file/media server for other devices on the network. An iPad could watch a TV show in one room while a laptop could be listening to music. Want to add more music or another film? Just copy across and let the router do the work, then everyone can access the media.

The USB ports also allow you to share a printer across all your computers. No more waiting for the PC with the printer connected to it to boot up while figuring out how to transfer the file to said PC

One feature that is going to be amazing for many households is Bandwidth Management. This allows you to set how much of the "pipe" each user gets. For example, If was starting to download a file, the network would become slow for other users who are surfing the net. With bandwidth management a gamer could be set to use a small about of the pipe which is enough to play games, but other users can comfortably surf the net.

Using the Bandwidth Management in conjunction with the inbuilt Traffic Shaping means that in a busy house or indeed business, the available bandwidth on the broadband can be much better managed and utilised. In plain terms it means that the internet connection will be feel much better for all the users

All in all this is a great upgrade for a network. It is a great way to add a lot of functionality to a home network. Very reliable over the ISP kit that is installed and really impressed at how easy it was.

In fact, I like the TP-Link N600 Dual Band Router so much, I have bought it to run my network permanently!

Review by S.A. Cowie Snr Computer Engineer - PC Solutions.