on 14 December 2012
On the whole, the case is pretty good. At the price point it's excellent value and this would have been a 5-star review but for one big problem.

The magnets for the auto sleep/wake function are too strong. My N7 wakes when the case is opened, and sleeps when the case is closed: so far so good. HOWEVER, when the cover is folded all the way back (the position you use when your hand is through the back-strap) the magnets trigger sleep mode. This means that the tablet is unusable in this position; pressing on/off seems to wake it, but it goes straight back to sleep after I put in my password. Very, very annoying.

I ended up sticking a bit of foam to the back of the case to keep the magnets a bit further away. This solves the problem but makes case look a bit naff. A shame.

EDIT: Found a more aesthetically pleasing fix! I stuck a paperclip between the case and the N7 to move the back of the tablet away from the magnet a little bit (paperclip under the bottom left corner of the N7 in portrait mode). Works a treat.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 23 August 2012
I bought this case wanting something to protect my nexus 7 without interfering with any controls or the screen, double as a stand and provide an easier way to lock / unlock the device than that fiddly side button. This case excels at all of these, and has a high quality feel to it to boot. It fits the device perfectly: it is easy to take out and put in but will not come out by accident. It props up the device at 3 good angles for landscape which will be very useful when watching videos.

Some things I wanted to know before buying but couldn't find:
* It adds around 9.5 mm thickness to the device (was 10.5mm, now 20mm).
* It adds 141g of weight to the device (was 340g, now 481g).
* It does not suffer from the problem earlier versions of similar cases had where the tablet is put to sleep when the cover is folded back.

I think the case is worth 5 stars, but I don't think it's perfect. Firstly, I think it could cover the edges a bit better. As it is I am happy putting it in a bag, but not with loose coins / keys / cables as these could scratch the edges. Secondly, it does not quite sit flat on the table with the cover folded back. The latch props it up at a small angle which isn't great for portrait use (but is actually very nice in landscape). Um, that's it. These are very minor niggles too and don't detract from an excellent case.

Oh, and it was delivered for free in just 3 days!

Update: a couple of days later and I've found another issue, though it's actually an issue with the nexus 7 so I can't dock any stars: multitouch is all over the place (registers many taps at imprecise locations) when holding it with the cover folded back. I know this is a nexus 7 problem as taking it out of the case and laying it flat on a desk (so my fingers aren't touching the back) also causes the issue. Apparently it's a grounding problem.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 August 2012
If like Me you are wasting hours looking for a decent case for your shiny new nexus that looks the part and doesn't hide the whole bezel in leather-look-a-likey then stop messing about and buy this. I did, ordered Wednesday arrived Monday. Looks great, well made. Nexus pops out easily if you like using without the case at home like I do. Parts of the nexus are on display when closed so if you do drop it and it hits the floor on one of those edges I take back everything I just said. Am very impressed with this so far though. Auto wake is great. Am typing this up with my new toy (while listening to tunes on spotify through a netbook plugged into my amp, all controlled by my nexus and splashtop 2. I know, am living in the future, me. Anyway, buy it, you will like!
on 24 February 2013
When the case is opened, the Nexus - as you'd hope - turns on. Unfortunately though, when the front of the case is then flipped behind, the magnet causes the Nexus to turn OFF again! I view this as a serious flaw and have returned the item.
on 30 August 2012
Thanks for the great reviews guys. I'm like one of you searching for the proper case for my Nexus 7. Search the net even ebay. Finally found this. Ordered-Received-Used-Great!

The case is well made and leather feel. Quality is very good and don't forget the price.

Recommend this case if you are looking for a very good quality and fare price case.
on 28 August 2013
Had the previous version of this (for the old nexus) and was always very happy with it; and this one follows suit.

Surprisingly good quality for the money, fits nice and snug so no chance of the tablet falling out and the built in magnet switches the nexus on and off when opening and shutting the case perfectly (has never turned the device off when folded back).

Hopefully it will wear as well as previous one I had which after about a year of use was still in perfect condition, time will tell :)

But overall, couldn't be happier with it.
on 2 November 2012
I was looking for something to keep my new Nexus 7 safe, but many of the offerings were rather bulky - there's no point in buying a slimline tablet and then making it three times thicker! This case adds very little to the thickness of the tablet, but offers good protection for the front and back. The side edges are still exposed, but there is still a reasonable degree of protection. My device, a Google Nexus 7, was fitted in a few seconds and is securely held by the edge clips. I haven't tried to use the stand function, but there's no reason why it won't work.
The automatic on/off function as you open/close the case is also surprisingly useful. The quality of the product and materials seem very good, and it also looks pretty good.
All in all, a good buy - as you can tell, I'm very pleased with it.
on 17 March 2013
This comes exactly as you can see in the photos. Brilliantly made, perfectly stitched and not a fault in sight. fits Nexus 7 like a glove and isn't nearly as bulky as I thought, and others are!

First and best thing about it: It can pop out as easy as pie, but stays in when you want it to. No suddenly falling out of its holdings, no siree. It's a perfect fit. Better thing? Zero. Screen. Interference. I have a Kindle cover where I find myself peering sideways into the cover to see the mysteries hidden off-screen... with this, you hardly notice the corner pieces holding it together. It feels so much more natural and pleasant not to have the leather border but just screeeeeeen.

Front hinge as thin as 2/3 pieces of card, no word of a lie. Measured the thickness on the outer flap (where the curved clasp is) and it's 3/4mm. the grooves and handholds stick up a bit after that but the clasp ensures the front cover fits snug.

The elasic is genius - I bought a Kindle cover that had no way of pinning back the front flap... nightmare. This is perfectly sized so you don't have to think about that pesky flap swinging round and smaking you on the nose. And again, zero screen interference, just two little things in the corner.

Hanhold is lovely, if a bit tight. Also, if you prefer to hold with your right hand, the curved clasp is a bit in the way, especially if you have a average/large hand. Left handed? It's a beaut. I have small hands so either way is comfortable, but it feels like it was ultimatley designed to be held in the left.

Here comes the gripe: the stand capability.
This was the primary reason for me buying this cover at all,so naturally its flaws cause me some anguish...

Popping *just* the left (vertical) corner holdings is a bit clunky, while doing the second you have to be careful not to push back in the first, and doing both at the same time is very unstable. Once you are past that stage it's easier to get to grips with how the stand works. The first/ closest to the handhold groove is a fine setting, very stable and managable here, even if the angle is a tad too vertical for me.

The second, closest to the elastic groove is my ideal position. However, this is the most unstable position for it. It will just slip out of its own accord sometimes, and with too much/ the wrong pressure whilst using it, it will slip out from under your hovering finger.

So, massively disappointed with this little flaw, but after a while you are used to how to keep the tablet more stable. e.g, it is more likely to fall when swiping down notifications too hard, but be stable if you stick to the bottom / keep one hand holding it in position. Which seems a tad pointless and futile when it's supposed to work 2 handed.

Overall though, a brilliant and well-made product. Feels like you paid a lot more for it than you did.
on 23 February 2013
I spent an age looking at the huge number of Nexus cases around..there are far too many.
I wanted an IPAD style that folds back on itself to convert to a stand. OK, this stand only works in landscape mode, but that is what I wanted. I don't like the 360 degree swivel cases...this is much neater.

Works as described - the Nexus wakes up when the case is opened and sleeps when closed. No problem with the magnets sleeping the Nexus when folding the cover right back. No problem with the magnets interferring with the compass feature either.

Well made - looks like it will last a while. Does not add much bulk at all.
I love the way the Nexus simply 'clicks' into place with all buttons and sockets fully available - Not like some cases where the Nexus slides into a pocket that can make accessing screen options and control buttons a little awkward.

However, unlike the 'pocket' style cases, this one does leave the edges of the Nexus exposed with only the corners fully protected. The trade-ff here is that when this case is opened, you can still enjoy the Nexus in all its beauty as it is not enclosed on all sides.

It also has a handy strap for sliding your hand through when the cover is folded back - comfortable and convenient.

Not the cheapest case I looked at, but no where near the most expensive either. Stands up well when compared to products twice the price.

I would recommend this case to anyone not wishing to pay a premium price who still wants a smart and functional product.

5 out of 5...so far.......only time will tell.
on 3 February 2013
In my opinion this product is absolutely amazing. I recently bought a Nexus 7 and was looking for something to keep it protected from accidental damage. I didn't want to spend too much money on a case because I felt that the tablet itself is fairly inexpensive in comparison to others on the market and so after reading reviews on this product, I decided to go for it. I was certainly not disappointed. Although the outside material is probably not made from real leather it certainly looks and feels the part. As for the inside material, you can rest assured that it will not damage your screen and adds a feeling of quality. I do also use a screen protector which was purchased at the time I purchased the nexus. Although I have not dropped my nexus yet I feel as though it is well protected without adding much bulk to it. The magnetic facility for closing the case also puts the nexus to sleep and awakes automatically when the case is opened. Other reviews on this product mention that the magnet in the case is too strong and so puts the nexus to sleep when the front cover is flipped all the way back so that the front of the cover meets the back of the nexus (which is probably the most favoured position), however I've not encountered any problem of the sort. Speaking of positions, there are several positions this case enables and I have found the different stand angles very useful when watching videos and movies on the nexus. Overall a fantastic product no need to pay over the odds for anything more expensive.