5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book My Favourite Book i have ever Read
This Book was the best I have ever Read, i haven't found any books i really like until the kindle, its just amazing

The Book is set in world War II and I was recommended it By my Dad, I find stories about the war, very interesting, and love them; My Dad read this Book when he was my age (14) and loved it.

It is amazing how you can even imagine that...
Published 16 months ago by Andrew Callaghan

3.0 out of 5 stars a well told story
This is a children’s book that tells the story of four children who survive the Warsaw ghetto and then as the Second World War drew to an end set out from Poland in search of the father of three of them who they believe has escaped to Switzerland. The silver sword in the title is a paper knife that provides them with inspiration and hope.

I originally...
Published 14 months ago by Nigel Marshall

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book My Favourite Book i have ever Read, 2 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Silver Sword (Vintage Children's Classics) (Kindle Edition)

It is amazing how you can even imagine that your there, and because of the such amazing Descriptions and Laungage, it Created an amazing sense of atmosphere, so that you could imagine the scene in your own way and have your own clear idea in your head of what the Characters Look Like.

What I love about Ian Serraillier's Writing is the way that the could have happened in the War and have happened in the same sort of way maybe.

EVery Part of the book was adventurous and made me so en-grossed in the book i couldn't put it down and read it in a day! :) One of my Favourite parts of the book was the escape from the american zone in germany, into switzerland, when Edek and Jan in one double canoe, and Bonia and Ruth Sharing a single, when they had to canoe the river without been seen, but when ruth's canoe struck ashore, and american solider grabbed an ore, and wasn't expecting her to let go but she did and they escaped un-harmed.

At The end of the book there is an Afterword about the book, and how Ian Came up with the idea, this included information, such as he was a teacher at a school and the book took five long summer holidays to complete, and tells you of how the ideas came about and pictures and news about the book.

I would recommend this book to anyone and read it again many times!

Andrew Callaghan :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Children's Version of Striped Pyjamas - Brilliant!, 3 Aug. 2014
I remember reading this book as an 11 year old school girl. My mum gave it to me for Christmas in 1977. I wish I knew where my copy went.
Not particularly aware of the events of WWII - or of the Nazi atrocities - at that age, I recall being totally horrified at such treatment of human beings, enthralled by the children's bravery and silently begging the author to make it all better for everybody, especially Jan - my hero.
I hadn't read anything quite as touching or powerful until I saw The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.
I'm 48 soon and The Silver Sword is my all time favourite book. For me it's the children's version of Striped Pyjamas, which should be compulsory reading for A level students in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Brilliant Today as When I First Read It., 2 Jan. 2015
This book is truly five star. I read it first well over 25 years ago as a school girl in Africa and it made a lasting impression. In particular Jan's words, "This sword will bring me luck ..."
There is a romanticism and poetry about you. It makes you believe that even in the darkest moments things do work out. It captures the human spirit in its entirety; the brutality of war, the kindness of strangers, resilience, determination, courage, loyalty, love and even the ability to laugh when your heart is burdened and troubled.

I enjoyed the easy style in which the book was written and how every chapter presents a new challenge to the children. I liked seeing Ruth's complete dedication to her family and how she extends her caring spirit to the children around her.

Most of all I like that they all worked together to keep their spirits up and get to the end of their journey.

Heart warming.

3.0 out of 5 stars a well told story, 24 Mar. 2014

I originally read this aged about 10 whilst imprisoned at boarding school and loved it - perhaps that has something to do with wanting to get back to my parents. Reading it now I find it to be a well told story but not something I am particularly moved by. As I have read quite a bit of the literature of this period, which might have started with this book, it is interesting to see how the horrors are softened but not ignored by it being a children’s book-thus, for example, at the end the children are described as not entirely recovering from their adventures but rather suffering from what we would today characterise as symptoms of post-trauma.

To this day this book makes the Toledo souvenir paper knife I have inherited from my parents seem special, but I would not rate this book as being as good, for example, as The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books I read as a child, 23 Nov. 2012
BJB (Cardiff, Wales) - See all my reviews
I read The Silver Sword as a nine-year-old and re-read it 20 or 30 times over the next five years. Despite its war-time setting and potentially grim events, all I saw as a child was the adventure and the tension and the amazing courage of the child characters as they travel across war-torn Europe to try to find their parents. An absolute classic that is a great book for children and young teens.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son loved it, 22 Nov. 2013
My son is just 9 and at school they are studying WWII so he asked for some books on the subject, this one appeared near the top of the search. He has read it in a few weeks and has loved it. The bits I read were well written and it seemed to have a lot to keep him interested and the story moves along at a good pace which was important.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood memories, 23 Jun. 2014
I first came across this book in junior school and the story and author have stayed in my memory ever since. A great book for 10 - 11yr olds which is capable of making a great impact.

5.0 out of 5 stars School days, 30 Mar. 2014
C. Bennett (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
I read this book in school and decided to read it again as. It did leave an impression as a young school girl. I'm happy to say that it was just as good as I remembered it. A must read for both adults and children.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!!!! :), 20 Jan. 2014
I love it 'cause it's full of danger and things like that.I also think that when the author was writing it he felt and saw the whole thing happening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing book that sticks with you forever, 12 Jan. 2014
I first read this book when I was about 11, on reading again I could still not put it down. It would make an excellent film as the characters are so wonderful. I still had to read it in one sitting even though I am nearly 40 now!!!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›