5.0 out of 5 stars A clever product that puts the fun back into computing
The Raspberry Pi is an amazing device that packs a lot into a small space. It's simplicity has amazed me at the same time as I have been hit the frustration of the minutia of configuring some of the detail of its Linux system. However, I am having fun, learning a lot of new things and rediscovering skills that I thought I had lost many years ago.

The Raspberry...
Published on 28 Dec. 2012 by Mr. R. F. Harvey

1.0 out of 5 stars These are chinese models, not UK models as advertisd
The picture now shows a chinese model, with a black audio out socket. The UK models have a blue audio out socket. Also, the chinese models have "Made in China" stamped around the SD card socket (bit of a give away).

Published 11 months ago by a m corpes

5.0 out of 5 stars A clever product that puts the fun back into computing, 28 Dec. 2012
Mr. R. F. Harvey "greycynic" (London, UK) - See all my reviews

The Raspberry Pi is a learning machine. That does not mean low quality, for example the choice of HDMI as the main AV output is inspired. I plugged my Raspberry Pi into my flat screen TV and was amazed by the clarity of the image. I get equally good results from a monitor with a DVI-D port using an HDMI to DVI cable. However, I've not been able to get the same monitor to detect the VGA output from a HDMI to VGA adapter.

You are going to need some other bits with your Raspberry Pi. It has connectors on all four sides and you are going to be plugging things in on at least three of them. Get a case to protect your Raspberry Pi while you are handling it. You are also almost certain to need a powered USB hub. The Raspberry Pi has to restrict the power to the USB ports to protect itself so your USB devices will need to be powered from another source.

If you have a smart phone or tablet device then you may not need to purchase a power supply. If you do then the power supply needs to be a good quality one. To my surprise I found that the power supply from my Kindle 3G rated at 500mA actually works better than the 1 Amp power adaptor I purchased with my Pi!

I also discovered the hard way that a wireless mouse and keyboard are to be recommended with your Raspberry Pi. The Logitech MK260 Wireless Desktop is a Linux compatible wireless mouse and keyboard set that works well for me.

Be warned that you may well need to start with a wired Internet connection to your Raspberry Pi. Make sure that you have a patch cable to hand. My major frustration has been configuring a wireless network connection that has turned out to be not as simple as I expected.

Be prepared to flash your SDHC memory card as and when needed. This is part of the philosophy behind the Raspberry Pi. When you mess your computer up you simply flash the memory card to restore the system, run an update to get the latest versions of the packages that you are using and start over again.

Remember, this is not a production machine. The Raspberry Pi is a device that is intended for experimentation. You might want to use it to build a media centre to service your TV. You could use it to convert your TV in to a giant photo frame. You might even use it to index your stamp collection. The possibilities are almost endless. The point is that you have the chance to give it a try and if it all goes wrong, then you just flash the memory card and start over on something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting little gadget!, 6 Dec. 2012
Thomas Coote (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This Raspberry Pi is a bargain for any enthusiast wishing to do a little tinkering with a mini PC and possibly learn some coding. I was no expert when I brought one and certainly aren't now either so I won't try to pretend I am.

I bought this because as soon as I heard about it I thought it would be a very interesting purchase for entertainment purposes. I had many ideas about what I wanted to use it for and it has provided a lot of fun to play around with. Ideas that I have tried so far are using it as a fun mini-desktop and also as a home-theatre PC. Both were fun to set up and play around with though I never expected it to be as good as my actually desktop. The home-theatre option was very interesting though, by far the best use in my household. The model I purchased has 512MB of RAM which makes it seem quite responsive to a 256MB Ram edition I have tried. I loaded XBMC to my SD card and slipped it into the Pi and I was away. As well as this it also has 2 x USB 2.0 ports, RCA Video Out, 3.5mm Jack Out, Ethernet and obviously the HDMI out. Although the speed of the startup isn't as lightning fast as we're used to these days it certainly suffices - and sure enough when all is set up and running it can smoothly play back 1080p movies for your enjoyment.

Some of the accessories I use with my Pi is a Logitech Wireless Keyboard and Mouse Set, SanDisk 16Gb SD Card and a standard Micro-USB power adaptor as well as A small Raspberry Pi case. All of these complete my experience as I already had a large USB stick to put my movies on. I haven't tried any live TV services or anything like that but I can recommend this fully for a HTPC to anyone! Such low power consumption and silent activity for a mere £35!

- Cheap
- Fun!
- Great Gift

5.0 out of 5 stars A seriously good little pc which encorages programming and electronics, 13 April 2013
James Lever (Brighton & Hove, UK) - See all my reviews
The raspberry pi is an incredible affordable pc for everyone. It was built for education but can be bought by anyone its purpose is to engages people to be more involved in programming and electronics.

There are two versions model A, and model B, Model A has 256mb of ram, one usb slot and no network interface, Model B, has 512mb of ram, two usb slots and a network interface.

Out of the box you receive a circuit board which for Model B provides 2x usb, a network socket, audio out, component and hdmi, and sd-card slot, and GPIO interface. Other than a few cables and some equipment you probably already have thats all you need to get going.

If you have a DVI monitor, then all you need is a HDMI to DVI cable - for VGA make sure you find the right type of adaptor - either way its pretty simple.

For the cost the rasperry Pi gives you a ARM11 processor, running at 700Mhz, and a videocore 4 GPU capable of 1080p at 30 frames per sec. To get this running you need an OS for a standard linux build go to raspberry pi dot org. Separate to this there are plenty of pre-configured builds for a media player (running xbmc) google raspbmc or openelec

To get started all you need is a 1A micro usb power supply such as the Nokia AC-10c, a SD-Card (which you'll need to copy the OS on to) - i'd recommend a class 10 or higher (the higher the class the faster they are), a HDMI cable (or other video cable), plus a keyboard and mouse :). Case is optional !

If you, your family or children have an interest in programming and/or electronics get one, play with it, at this affordable price its easier than fiddling with your main computer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a good little device I have 3 in my home running a variety of services!, 4 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model) (Personal Computers)
I own three of these, for multiple uses as they are so versatile.

One runs a Tor relay server - doing my bit for online privacy.
One runs an XBMC Media server behind my TV, linked into my NAS on my wired LAN provides media capabilities on my non-smart HDTV, excellent for TV Catchup services, online streaming and local streaming.
The last one runs Minepeon with a powered USB hub attached running multiple bitcoin miners.

May sound like a lot, but when these use about £1.60's worth of electricity each year from my old iPhone USB Charger plugs, its peanuts for the services they provide.

There's a huge online community that has already done what your idea is, documented it and wrote tutorials and how-to's along with youtube video's so no matter what you want a Raspberry Pi for, what are you doing? Order one today and enjoy your projects for months and years to come!

1.0 out of 5 stars These are chinese models, not UK models as advertisd, 22 May 2014

The Chinese models often dont work, they just wont start up. You may get lucky, but i would advise steering clear of them. I bought two, neither would start. I also have a UK model that i love, so much so i want two more,,

I Mentioned this to Amazon, but still i see Chinese units mis-advertised as UK units

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than a standalone security camera (Foscam), 15 Jun. 2014
I have a few security cameras but a Pi plus one of these beats them all. The image quality is superb and you have the SW control to do whatever you like with it. It really is a incredible camera for minimal money. Every Pi owner should have one. There is also the IR version of this if you want to experiment with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 15 Oct. 2014
Great fun. Your kids will thank you for this, as they learn how to program using Python and Scratch. At the very least, if they like Minecraft, then once they learn that they can run it on the Pi, AND program it, then they will be hooked. Yes, our daughter is happily learning about Python by writing code to build houses in minecraft. That knocks spots off the "Guess what number I am thinking of" games we wrote when I was learning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Impressive, 29 Aug. 2013
I'd left the protective cover on my camera until my case arrived, once I took it off I realised how good this really was, I'd say this camera is above the quality on my phone (18 month old HTC) which when you look at the price is pretty incredible. Options available under the "raspistill" command are as good as anything you see on "real" cameras for setting iso etc. I'd definitely say get a case to go with it, the board is too thin to hold steady but with a case it's easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great For A home media centre!, 12 July 2013
I bought the Pi to use in our living room to view movies and TV shows. I installed openelec onto the Pi and linked it to my main computer through wifi using windows file sharing option. It synced up no problem and downloaded all artwork no problem. The only thing I would say is that it struggles to handle the menu of XBMC, understandable due to the amount of animations and graphics but with use it starts to handle it better with less lag. 1080p video playback is flawless with no lag or audio delay.
Overall a great little computer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting purchase!, 6 Dec. 2012
Thomas Coote (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

- Cheap
- Fun!
- Great Gift

Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB RAM, UK Model)