5.0 out of 5 stars Another Roberts Classic
Published 20 months ago by Radioman

3.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions.
Published 7 months ago by Technophobic

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Roberts Classic, 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Roberts Radio Sovereign DAB/DAB+/FM RDS Digital Radio - Balmoral Blue (Electronics)
FIRST IMPRESSIONS - on day one of my ownership of a Roberts Sovereign in Balmoral Blue. Fit and finish of the radio is very good, it looks handsome and the inside of the cabinet is fitted with a high quality plastic moulding which includes the battery compartment. A sleek adaptor/ mains lead with 1.5 metres of cable is provided which looks the same as that bundled with the Roberts Expression. This attaches at the side of the unit, a pity as it cannot be hidden from view. The unit has 2 Watts output, not 1 Watt as described by some retailers. This radio should hold no fears for a new DAB user, extend the ariel, switch it on and after a thirty second scan you are away.

RECEPTION on mains and battery is exceptional, the very best I have encountered having owned many Roberts and Pure radios. The ariel can remain retracted unless you select FM or are listening to a neighbouring region's programmes and my set can clearly receive a station transmitting over fifty miles away.FM reception is strong and clear but the radio favours strong clean signals as opposed to ultimate sensitivity, again very usable and I was able to listen to FM programmes interference free in my poor reception area.

SOUND QUALITY - Is good for music and about perfect for the spoken word. Classic FM, Jazz FM and Radio 2 sound great,good smooth, clear and enjoyable.Compared to a Pure 1XT and Roberts Expression the sound has more weight with the added bass and is superior, in my opinion, but the Sovereign does not have the dynamic range or punch of say a Pure Evoke 3 or Pure Evoke 2S. What it does have is the usual smooth, easy going and listenable tone which Roberts fans love and this is underscored by a nice decent sized speaker which provides some welcome bass. In fact the volume of this unit is impressive, it goes to 30 on the scale and 12/ 14 fills a good sized lounge. The bass/ treble control is very effective and allows you to tailor the sound of the transmission. This is almost essential as dynamic output from stations varies considerably.At high volumes and with the bass turned up, some music will vibrate the cabinet. This isn't really a problem, the cabinet only fizzes when there is an uncomfortable amount of bass or volume levels are very high. Ease down the treble/bass/volume and it disappears. This clearly is not a replacement for a music system / Hi-Fi, but it is a quality wireless which plays perfectly at very low, low and room filling sound levels, but not all music at very loud levels. I'm sure this will not be an issue to the typical wooden radio owner who knows what time The Now Show comes on each week !

ROBERTS- I've bought many radios over the years and many DAB radios from shortly after the introduction of DAB in the UK, ALL the Roberts radios are still working perfectly, glitch free and still a pleasure to use.

SUMMARY - A fine radio, a significant jump up in sound quality from a Roberts RD60 and Roberts Expression, a hyper-leap into space from a Roberts Vintage and most DAB radios and a radio , when adjusted carefully, to listen to with ease and pleasure all day and for many years.

3.0 out of 5 stars First Impressions., 3 Sept. 2014
I've just taken delivery of this set and I've only had time to try out the basic functions but it seems to work very well. I was able to power it up and use it without looking at the manual but this isn't my first DAB set so I am quite familiar with the little beasts. One of the reasons I bought this set was because it is advertised as being DAB+ compatible. Well, there is nothing in the booklet about DAB+, only DAB so I've a a feeling it will require a software upgrade in the form of a download (or something) in order to run DAB+? Hum.

Aside from that it is a nice looking radio of course. I do like the BASS and TREBLE functions although I would have preferred separate knobs for this (like on the original Hacker Sovereigns) rather than having to push the volume control. It amazes me how many receivers there are on the market with no tone controls at all! I really can't put up with a radio that has no tone control. These Roberts Revival sets are naturally very bassy anyway so you'll probably want to cut it back to "0" for both speech and music.

I should say I'm not a great fan of DAB, I'm barely tolerant of VHF/FM. I shall continue to use my good old analogue radios for LW, MW & SW listening.

One other point I'd like to make concerns the speaker grill. It has a nice brass colour when viewed from above but if the radio is on a shelf at or above eye level it looks a yukky muddy brown colour, plus the speaker and plastic gubbins are staring you right in the face! A CLOTH cover for the speaker would have been much nicer.

I have my doubts about the 120 hours battery life, even from four beefy D cells, it reminds me of those MPG statistics that car manufacturers like to bandy about. Still, we'll see.

The ON/OFF button is VERY sensitive and the slightest tap will switch the set off.

There is the usual 3.5mm stereo headphone socket plus line out and aux in. I haven't tried these yet.

This is a very expensive radio when you think that a good analogue set costs a lot less and the analogue LW/MW/FM system is still working, and analogue sets are simpler use.

I'll update this review in time and alter the star rating if need be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic radio, 4 Jan. 2015
A real heirloom classic. Beautifully made and very tactile. Be warned, it is heavy.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent radio, 11 Feb. 2014
It has a very smooth sound, clear with a good bass and it looks very good too. I would recommend it to anyone.