Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

VINE VOICEon 4 November 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Straight out of the box, this is literally ready to go. Plug it in and it sets the time for you and starts to find the DAB channels. I've never had a DAB radio before and was impressed at how strong the signal is without need for an aerial. There IS an aerial though, if you want to tune in to FM radio (does anyone still do that?) and it's a sturdy thick metal thing, not one of these bits of wire you blutack to the wall! It's easy to switch between stations using the remote control - which, by the way, is small and sleek and fits perfectly into the hand. Volume and function are also controlled from here, and also on the front of the system.

The thing I was most excited about was the Bluetooth element. I have to admit, the system I first received, although great, had a fault with the Bluetooth. I contacted Roberts to ask about this and I have to say, their customer service was second to none. The person I spoke to initially couldn't help me, but promised to get someone to call me back. 10 minutes later, a technician called Charlie rang me. He listened to my problem, and asked a few questions, before determining that it was not a user error but a fault with the unit. Despite me having received this via the Amazon Vine program, and him not being familiar with this, he immediately recognised the need to get a working unit out to me for review and contacted Head Office to arrange this. He also gave me details to use to send them the faulty unit back, free of charge to me, as he was eager to look at it to find out what the fault was - they had not had any reports of this fault previously.

I received a replacement unit which works perfectly. Switch on your Bluetooth capability on your mobile, tablet etc, switch functions to Bluetooth, and the device immediately recognise each other and sync up. You can then play whatever you desire. I used my smartphone to play music and was impressed that even when I took my phone into another room, I could still change tracks or volume using my phone and this was relayed back to the speaker.

The speakers themselves are great, I love the sound I am getting out of them. It's much better than you would expect from a cheap Bluetooth speaker, and I would say this is like a modern day equivalent of a decent hi-fi system. Bang and Olufsen it ain't, but for the price this is a damn fine sound being produced. You can adjust it to match your musical style via the equaliser function too, thus getting an even better sound. I love my music and often listen via headphones in order to get the fullest richest sound, but find that the sound out of these speakers is matched in quality.

The unit is a good looking piece of kit, it's sleek and black and feels well made and chunky. It fits in great with my decor and is just the right size - not too big, but big enough to make an impact.

If you want a DAB radio that you can also stream your music through, and want a great sound, this is definitely the kit for you. Fabulous for the price, and a quality brand. Plus, if you ever need their Customer Service, rest assured they will do everything they can for you - the people I spoke to clearly cared for the products.
on 1 March 2014
I first purchased Revo K2 and was not impressed so returned, then did more research and found this little baby, finds more DAB stations than any other I have tried, Bluetooth and audio sound are astonishing for the size of the unit, if you like your music crisp and full of base buy this, fantastic piece of kit.
on 15 March 2016
I've had this about 4 months and have listened to it quite a bit. In particular it's been waking us up every morning and stays on for at least an hour or so, with intermittent use during the day when we're in the area. Now there's a lot to like about this radio. Neat design, excellent bluetooth connectivity, good DAB and FM reception, and a handy USB plug on the back for charging your phone or whatever. It also has an auxillary in plug so you can play your other stuff through it if it doesn't have bluetooth. No headphone socket (at least I've never found one) but that doesnt bother me as being all modern I use bluetooth headphones now and if I'm listening to the radio on the cans it'll be via the BBC iPlayer and an iPad or whatever.

So why only 2 stars? Well, I'm a bit fussy about sound quality and I made the fundamental mistake of accepting someone elses judgement in this area when reading reviews. There's really only one way to assess sound quality and that's by using your own ears which of course I didn't do, relying on the judgements of the Amazon community. If I'd have listened to one in a shop, I would have walked on and found something else. The high ends are lacking clarity, and whilst there's plenty bottom it's just too boomy. Overall the sound quality is rather strange. It should be better as the speakers seem decent quality (the unit is pretty weighty) but the frequencies just don't seem to hang together. Hard to explain, but it's not a sound I particularly enjoy. I wondered if it was the input source so have tried a number of different devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod and even an Amazon Fire) but they're all the same. Similarly FM/DAB reception produces the same sound quality so you have what you have as it were. I note other reviewers have commented on the equaliser capability. It does make a bit of a difference, particularly to the amount of bass response (from too much to *%@%%&! excessive) but it does nothing for the quality.

I've re-installed an ageing JVC system in our bedroom which is far better in terms of sound quality even though it's just FM, adding an external bluetooth receiver to the auxillary in, so essentially it's now doing the same job. The Roberts is now relegated to the guest bedroom so they can enjoy it when they stay. It does have a nice clock though, and the alarm function works well so at least they'll be up for breakfast.
on 29 December 2014
Bought in the Boxing Day lightning sale, with an Amazon gift voucher. A true bargain. Smart unit which looks very good on the kitchen worktop, away from both sink and icing sugar. Very good tone, using its own equaliser, easily accessed. Classical music on DAB sounds excellent. The instructions for setting preset stations are not very clear and this was the only thing I found difficult. Once done, it is done. No more hassle. Perfect and simple pairing with my iPad for playing MP3s. Excellent purchase.
on 15 January 2014
I choose this radio after comparing it to Pure and other Roberts Radio models (40, 50 & 60) and found the sound quality of the Blutune to be far superior.
The Roberts 60 was the same price and had a CD player but I felt this wouldn't get much use as all my music is now stored on my Samsung Tablet and the bluetooth feature allow you to send from the tablet to the Blutune (up to about 10 metres range).
The radio was received by courier (tracking available) and was unpacked and working within a few minutes, after an initial station scan. The bluetooth needed to be paired to my tablet and this was very simple.
I am so pleased with this radio, no messy wire aerials just an extendable one for FM. The instruction booklet is very clear and easy to follow. I have set up the station preset (there are 20) and used the USB socket for charging my phone. There is also an AUX in socket which I have connected my MP3 player to and this works fine.
From initial order to being delivered took about 4 days and couldn't be more pleased. Saved about £30 on High Street prices.
on 1 January 2014
Just bought as a Christmas present for ourselves. Great little radio, we get full strength dab whereas previous intempo was a bit patchy. Really nice blue display giving plenty of info. Feels solid and well built also. Sound quality seems very good, although its slightly too flat with out any eq settings on. The Bluetooth is flawless, it just works!

Things that could be improved..... It would be good to be able to set your own eq rather than presets, also a headphone socket would be nice.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Previously I have not had much luck with DAB. I have a Sony portable DAB radio but it only gets a decent reception in a couple of places upstairs, after a lot of fiddling with the aerial. This radio worked straight away, on the dining room table, with a really strong signal. Even before that it had impressed me by setting the day and time automatically from radio signals when it was plugged in. I had started looking at the manual to see how to set the time, looked up and saw that it was already done.

Apart from being a decent radio, this can also function as a speaker for your mp3 player, phone or tablet either via an audio cable or Bluetooth. I had music streaming from Spotify on my tablet and not only was the sound very full and clear, but the radio's remote control even worked to control the tablet - the arrow buttons work as next/previous track buttons. Obviously some Bluetooth wizardry.

The unit itself feels very solid and heavy-duty, with two large stereo speakers and a bass speaker underneath. I have listened to a wide variety of music and all of them sound fine to me, without even resorting to the equaliser function. I know there is usually a focus on how loud music players go (and this one goes loud enough) but an equally valid test is how quiet it will play without losing parts of the sound. In this case it can be played at minimum volume without losing the top and bottom end. Very useful if you want to play it in bed without disturbing the neighbours or a sleeping partner.

Although this would not look out of place in a living room, it is perfect for the bedroom as it has a sleep function and an alarm, and that is where I have put this one, replacing my previous radio/alarm and the set of PC speakers I was using my mp3 player with. With its solid build and the future-proofing of DAB+ capability it is probably the last radio I will ever need to get. I suspect it will outlive most of my other audio-visual toys and probably outlive me too.

When I started playing with this I kept thinking "this is good, but wouldn't it be even better if it just..." and then looked in the manual and found that it did in fact do what I thought of. The only exception is that there is no NFC function, but that really is just a nice-to-have and not an essential. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anybody who wants a high-quality radio plus the ability to play their own music when necessary.
on 11 June 2014
Really happy with this, sound is lovely and connecting the blue tooth couldn't be easier. Nice remote controller and its very easy to use.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've had this Roberts Blutune Speaker Sound System for about a week now. My thoughts so far are:

Pros:
Excellent Sound - really good bass, useful equaliser and no distortion
Straightforward setup and options, including Bluetooth connection
Simple IR remote, though there are buttons on the device as well if need be
Classy materials - I'm not sure if the outside is wood or not, but it certainly looks like it
Digital display reacts quickly and is easy to understand.
It has an alarm feature.

Cons:
Don't expect much stereo effect
The digital display is could maybe do with a higher resolution

This isn't really a Bluetooth speaker in the sense of a Jabra SOLEMATE Portable Bluetooth Speaker, rather it is a mains powered DAB radio which can also take a bluetooth connection (and line in). I have all my music on Google Music so I can use my phone to stream anything I like via bluetooth and the system itself will pick up the FM, DAB and DAB+ radio stations, making it (for me) a complete music system.

I think the system is classy looking and doesn't look out of place in full view in the living room. I've never had a DAB radio before, but this seemed very straightforward. It tunes quickly, and the display makes choosing your station easy. It also tells you what song is playing, which is something I'd not thought of before, but is quite nice.
on 5 June 2014
fantastic....easy to use and great sound I would recommend it to anyone ! All and more than I wanted.Sent in record time.