4,661 Reviews
 (3,377)

Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

Published 3 months ago by Richard Hawkes

Published 6 days ago by ChristianJames

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is garunteed to reduce stress, your cholesterol and make you look 10 years younger, 2 Sep 2014
Richard Hawkes (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE EXTERNAL DRIVE?, 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: 6 months on and all is well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & quiet but needs a micro-B USB 3 cable, 4 Mar 2014
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung M3 500GB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
I have used quite a few external USB Hard Drives over the years but this is the first one that has used a micro-B USB 3.0 Cable. This has a regular USB Type A male connector at one end and a USB 3 micro-B male connector at the other which plugs into the M3. Don't confuse this with the Micro USB (2) connector used with most mobile phones as they are not the same.

It's not a big deal as one is supplied in the box with the drive but if, like me, you tend to leave cables lying around and then forget where you left them, you may have a problem. They are not difficult to find and Amazon sell them just make sure you search for USB 3.0 Micro-B!

The drive itself looks fine, feels quite sturdy and mine did not make any noise or vibration. In fact, I had to look at the LED indicator on the back to be sure it was on. It comes with some Samsung software, the installation of which is optional for Windows users (Apple users may need to use the supplied NTFS driver).

If you are a Windows user and don't want to install the Samsung software (I didn't) you will be up & running in seconds. All you have to do is plug one end into the drive and the other into your computer. The drive uses the computer to power it. Some computers cannot deliver enough power through the USB port to run the drive. In this situation, the manual recommends buying a 'Y' cable. Again Amazon sell these but make sure you get one with the Micro Type B connector at one end.

Apple users may need to install the driver which is supplied on the drive as it is pre-formatted with the NTFS file system. I don't use any Apple computers but I believe some of them cannot write to NTFS partitions without using the driver.

As to the performance, it seems fairly quick. I copied 110GB of large files to it in about 40 min using the USB 3 port. This works out at about 2.75GB per minute. Copying the files back was about half as fast again.
According to Windows 7, the speeds were:
Computer to Drive : 58MB (megabytes) per second
Drive to Computer : 80MB (megabytes) per second

I haven't had the drive long enough to comment on the reliability but so far I am very pleased. I was going to reduce the rating to 4 stars because of the cable but I suspect that most new USB 3 drives are now using this type of cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way. A Must Buy if you need external storage., 19 Jan 2013
This item arrived quickly and was well packaged (as would be expected from Amazon).

Pros:
Fast - I copied 320Gb onto this drive and then back onto a new Hard Drive in a matter of hours. It must be plugged into USB 3.0 to have this speed. If you do not have USB 3.0 then it will still work - it just won't be anywhere near as fast. You can get USB 3.0 upgrade PCI card (available separately for about £35).

No formatting required - the drive is formatted to NTFS by default (the type any modern Hard Drive should be using), this meant I was able to remove the drive from its packaging and start using it right away. You can format it when you open it or reformat to 'FAT' if you want - there is nothing to stop you, however this is not required and will suit casual users.

No power cable - all power needed to operate the drive is drawn through the USB cable (once plugged into you computer!) There is only one cable that comes with the external drive: the USB 3.0 cable.

No need for any other software - there is software on the drive - but it is not required for backups. It is just an added extra if you want to take advantage of it.

Cons:
Short cable - the cable is around 30cm in length. This is fine for me as I have a USB 3.0 at the rear of my computer and it sits within easy access, but I can see how it will be a pain for some users.

That was the only bad thing I can say about it. Fantastic bit of kit, well worth the pennies. You will not be disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars I WISH I could say it was great, but after 8 months, IT IS DEAD!, 15 Dec 2014
So, I bought this little drive back in May 2014, probably started using it around 10th May. I loved it, great speed over USB 3, great size, just sat on top of my PC. Every now and then I'd plug it into my laptop to transfer files. GREAT, loved it, until now.... it's now 15th December 2014 and it's stopped working. The dreaded beeping noise of death. I've phoned Amazon get a repair/replacement under the manufacturers warranty and am now playing 'chase the manufacturer' because Amazon don't deal with the warranty issues. JOY. So I guess I am one of the unlucky ones and here was me thinking the people who say it stopped working were just making it up! I did back up my files a week ago...... gutted though, not nice losing a drive with files on.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 46 days before dying, 6 Jun 2014
46 days after purchase, the drive stopped responding while in the middle of a backup. Fortunately it was just a backup, but checking the reviews this does not seem to be an uncommon occurrence. By the number of one-star reviews, it seems that around 10% of drives fail within 2 months of purchase. This is not exactly an encouraging statistic!

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but forget the software, 29 Jan 2013
This is a nice looking bit of kit, and it works straight from the box. However, the software provided is not worth the disk space (76 meg). It is supposed to back up your computer, but cannot make a system image, and according to the manual on disk, it cannot back up a file bigger than 4 megabytes. It will not back up your system files (that includes email files) so what good is it? I bought it because my backup drive using windows back up was full. I hoped that this software would have some extra benefits. So if you just want to use the disk as a storage unit, then its fine, but forget about using the backup software.

1.0 out of 5 stars Really just terrible., 15 Aug 2014
The incredibly loose cable means connection is lost often, even with slight movements - meaning lots of files are corrupted. It worked well for the first week or so and then I began to see problems. I am a graphic designer with a lot of important documents, that I can't afford to lose.I do not recommend this hard drive at all!

2.0 out of 5 stars portable hard drive Mac, 16 Dec 2012
Bought this hard drive for my Mac the first drive had nothing on it even the IT department couldn't get it to work no problem Amazon sent out a replacement this had all the info that you required languages and how to encrypt your info it said it was compatible for mac, it said for 10.6 or higher but it wouldnt work even when I down loaded the program that it recommended I gave it to my daughter who uses it on her windows laptop and bought a portable drive from the apple shop it least that one worked without having to down load any programs