5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value
Published on 21 Jan. 2013 by Alison Goldie

3.0 out of 5 stars OK for starting out
I bought this tablet for my wife's birthday as she had expressed an interest in getting a tablet. Not being sure how much use she'd get out of one I decided to stick toward the budget end of the market for the moment. I haven't had much chance to see it in use so far, though I did get the chance to experiment with it a little when I was setting it up for her and it seems...
Published on 4 July 2013 by Gavin N

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 21 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Cambridge Sciences StarPAD 2, 7-inch Tablet PC,4GB Memory, Android 4.4.2 (WiFi+Bluetooth) (Personal Computers)
I bought these for my daughters for Christmas and have been really impressed with them. I have an ipad and while the user interface is not quite as seamless, (which I suspect is partly due to their smaller size), they are very easy to use and about a sixth of the price. They are really good value for money and ideal for my kids as the price means that it won't be the end if one gets broken. Having said that they have been dropped several times and lived to tell the tale, and one had a bowl of rice krispies and milk spilt all over it and was fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starpad 7SE Tablet, 9 Nov. 2013
Pauline E. Grant (South Wales) - See all my reviews
Original review removed for reasons of space.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE 24TH MAY 2014
Oh dear oh dear oh dear.
One day my Starpad is working fine and I am a happy bunny. The next day android will not load. I tried resetting via the pinhole on the tablet and also manually (as explained by helpful youtube vids), but nothing doing. Having exhausted my knowledge I decided to contact Cambridge Sciences and claim under my 12 month UK warranty.
I sent them an email explaining the problems. They emailed back asking for details of purchase. I reply with said details , my email comes back undeliverable. I try again with my other email address. Same thing. I ring contact number listed on help page. Bloke answers, says it must be a problem with my email, sends me another email to prove there is nothing with their system, tells me to email again when it is sorted. So I try again. Still comes back un deliverable. Email service shows that the mails are being blocked by a spam filtering service. How odd since no other email I am sending is being blocked. Could it be that that Cambridge Sciences response to customers requesting repairs is to blacklist their IP addresses? Shirley not, I must be getting the wrong end of the stick. Except that every phone call now goes staight to voicemail and the recorded delivery letter I sent has prompted no response.
Moral of story - Starpads are decent little machines when they are working, but when they stop working there is no help to be had from Cambridge Sciences. The 12 month UK warranty isn't worth squat.
I have now ordered a new tablet made by a well known computer manufacturer from a prominent high street store with a 12 month guarantee I can have some confidence in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value, 10 April 2013
Probably one of the best value electronics product I have ever purchased, not ideal if you need a tablet for work or heavy use purposes but if that's what you are looking for you may as well waste £600 on an iPad.

Battery life: states 3 hours but this is an understatement, with heavy constant use such as watching videos and using several aps it will last this long but with light/moderate use it easily lasts a day or two

Memory: comes with around 8gb spare storage which is plenty, and the micro sd slot lets you plug in extra memory, you can easily pick up a 32gb card for £15 and you have a 40gb tablet!

Build quality: very nice screen and feels much more expensive than it is, it is a shiny black so fingerprints and dirt can be a problem, and there is also a tiny bit of flex in the screen if you place your hand on a specific part of the back but nothing bad

Performance: not lightning fast as and cant handle excessive amounts of processes due to a RAM of around 400mb, but the android system easily lets you choose to close apps on exit and control the number of processes that are being carried out to suit your needs. Running a handful of apps and processes it works perfectly smoothly and fine, YouTube and videos also run extremely well as well as games.

Sound: comes with a fairly big speaker on the back, its quite loud but at full volume can sound a bit tinny and crackly if you are listening to a loud track/game/video. As usual there is a headphone socket so you can always just use this if you need good sound quality

Touchscreen: extremely good for the price, pretty responsive and accurate, if used heavily it can take a few split seconds to respond but nothing frustrating (and I'm used to a 5th generation iPod so this really is saying something)

USB: comes with a usb port with a cable and also a male to female usb adapter, extremely handy! can plug in usb memory sticks for easy transfer of files and will most likely work with whatever you plug into it

Camera: 0.3 megapixels but surprisingly okay quality, perfect for skyping at least, front facing so not ideal for photos or videos anyway

Overall, for the price this is extremely good in many ways, perfect for a first tablet or something to use at leisure, I use mine for running lots of social apps and watching a lot of videos and the occasional game and this is excellent for me, I have a 5th Generation 32gb iPod so I have relatively high standards of tech like this but I would very, very highly recommend this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really nice tablet and good value, 27 Jan. 2014
My wife bought this for herself mid January and we have both used and played with it! Both pleased with it and im likely to buy a Starpad 3! Really nice and runs well, plays movies smoothly.
Initially had an issue with Android system which at first we weren't sure what the problem was - software or hardware. You can search and find apps on Playstore, but it wouldnt download any apps, it just froze. After looking online about the error message "“Error retrieving information from server. [RPC:S-3)"
We got it sorted and it installs apps fine now. It wasnt the tablet hardware, but Android software. Solution as follows:

If you have set up/entered your Google account already, first delete said account.
Go to Settings / Apps (or Manage Applications)

1. Download Manager, Clear cache and Clear data

2. Google Play Store, Clear cache and Clear data

3. Google Services Framework, Clear cache and Clear data

Reboot the device.

Set up / enter google account again, go to Playstore, install your apps!.
Apparently it is a widespread problem across many devices, so it isnt the tablet itself, Android / Google. It sorted our tablet OK.

The other initial problem was my fault for not reading the manual properly! We couldnt get it connected to PC with the USB cable to transfer files. I first read page 39-41 "Connections" and not page 27 ! Cos i couldnt get it to work i phoned tech support and they were VERY HELPFUL even though it was my fault! Soon sorted.
So i dont understand all the reviews who said tech support was no good or non existant or couldnt find website!
All in all a good tablet, no need to bother with more expensive brand names. Very responsive touch screen and good resolution.
We are very happy with it after the initial frustrations. The moral is dont blame the hardware straight away, even when you are tech savvy !! BTW they are designed in UK and made in their own factory in Hong Kong, and they are qualified engineers in tech support in UK office, not an outsourced call centre.

If you aren't tech savvy, dont give up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Capable little item for the price point, 29 May 2013
I've had this for five days now

The problem with tablets is that 'joe public' tends to expect desktop PC performance from them, and even within tablets they tend to expect iPad/Galaxy tab performance and experience from much cheaper tablets. Here is the thing - you aren't going to get that.

What we have here is a great little tablet for the £61 that I paid. Contrary to other reviews setting localisation is a breeze and wifi setup is entirely trouble free. General performance is fine - it's been very laggy at times in some apps, Facebook in particular so far, but I can live with that. For general browsing and for running my helpdesk app from work it's a very handy little performer. And 7" hits the sweetspot with me for portability.

It does seem to take a long time to charge and the battery does deplete quickly under sustained use but so far I've found it to be a very useful and inexpensive 7" tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars nextbook tablet, 4 Jun. 2013
I purchased this tablet after I had a breakdown with another tablet so wasn't really holding out much hope that it would be any better. It is a lot faster and it is really easy to use. I am a bit of a technophobe, so it has to be easy to navigate. Charges up really quickly and holds onto the charge for a good while even when I'm playing i-player.
Would definitely recommend it and at the price you really can't go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY GLAD I TOOK THE PLUNGE, 25 Oct. 2012
Handy Andy (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
As a more mature person I have listened to all the talk about tablet computers but have never bothered to actually find out what they can do. Having read many reviews I decided that the Nextbook Premium 7SE 4GB Capacitive touchscreen Android tablet PC was a cost effective way to remedy this situation.

What a revelation. As someone still using a seven year old Desktop computer running XP this tablet has really opened my eyes. It worked straight out of the box and was WiFi connected, to my internet service provider for browsing and E-mails, within minutes.

So far it does everything that it says on the box and if like me you are a little behind in your computer knowledge I recommend this device as a cost effective way forward. BUY ONE - YOU WON'T REGRET IT

4.0 out of 5 stars Android premium7se, 6 Jun. 2013
Arrived in the post this morning. Well packaged with all the accessories in zip-lock bags so that if you have to return it you can re-package it properly. The instructions were clear and concise although I personally found the print rather small. But that's just an age thing. The touch screen will take a little getting used to. Having only a Broadband connection and no WiFi at home means that my use of this will be limited at home but for the purpose I will be putting it to I will have WiFi access so not a major problem. Well designed with everything you could need. I particularly like the idea of being able to change the font size to suit visionary capabilities. All in all a great little gadget. My only disappointment is that I didn't realise that I couldn't use it with normal broad band connection but that won't affect most people.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Tablet, 31 July 2013
I got this tablet as a birthday present and instantly loved it. I had previously bought one of the cheap imported tablets for £40 but it broke within a week so I was a bit unsure of how the Starpad 7 would compare.

I had read a lot of reviews before deciding to buy this tablet so I knew it was a well-liked product.

As soon as I saw the box itself I knew it would be good - a proper brand, the tablet fitted perfectly into it, and there was a helpful instruction book. I could see that the tablet was of a high quality and well worth the money.

I would definitely recommend this tablet to someone looking for a reasonably priced android tablet.

4.0 out of 5 stars works great,poor battery life, 4 Feb. 2014
I bought this tablet because of the hdmi connection as I wanted to use it to watch films on my tv and to that end it works perfectly,only trouble is the battery doesn't last as long as the average 2 hour film so you have to leave the charger plugged
in,apart from that it works great.They also have a very handy customer helpline who were a great help.All in all well worth the money