on 21 October 2013
When my first (and only previous) pair of GHDs finally gave up on me after 9 years hard toil I knew that there was only one brand that I would seriously entertain for their replacement. After doing some research into different types (generations?) and costing some up I finally went for these GHD V Purple Plum editions.

Whilst some reviewers are focussing on the colour I am going to talk about the straighteners themselves and the job they are actually doing...

The first time I used them they pulled and snagged my hair so badly it brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't even finish the job it was so bad so I had half-straightened hair for the day. Lovely! I was tempted to package them back up and return them on the spot. I'm glad I didn't though! The second time I used them they still pulled and snagged slightly but there was a marked improvement from the first time. The third time it was barely noticeable and now (about 20 uses in) they do not pull or snag at all. My scientist friend tells me it has some thing to do with the particles in the plates responding to the heat from the previous uses...? I don't know about that but I do know that perseverance paid off and I now have an excellent pair of straighteners that leave my hair looking shiny and straight and can do the job very quickly because they are so good (I have incredibly thick hair!)

For those of you that would like to know about the colour I would describe them (probably unhelpfully?) as pinky-purple. I like it. The case that they come in is excellent and looks really smart and the heat proof mat is of course essential and something I didn't get with my first pair.

Overall I'm really pleased with these straighteners. After a far from perfect start I'm hoping for a long and happy 9 years together!
on 22 January 2013
My boyfriend bought me these for christmas, he picked the colour all on his own!(ha) and upon opening I was really happy with everything...

(UNTIL I USED THEM)

When you close the styler together, they only meet at the end of the plates. When you apply quite a lot of pressure(which you don't do when styling) this is when they close properly. So when using them, they snag and pull your hair which makes them uncomfortable to use as well as potentially snapping bits of your hair off! Not the quality you expect in such a high end product.

When I registered the product, they came up as Pink Orchid (which came out in 2011)... I questioned the authenticity after this so I rang GHD. They are in fact genuine but the guy I spoke to said that amazon had 'rebagged' the 'pink orchid' styler and called it purple plum... for the fun of it? No biggy about the date as they are still mark 5's but why have amazon renamed them, thus confusing people?

Im no expert but is this false advertising? Seen as it states when purchasing an edition of styler that does not exist AND says they're a 2012 editon when they in fact came out around the OCT 2011 mark... So are they old stock? Also people have complained about the colour...I personally love the colour but the styler is not purple, its pink orchid. Its a deep pink. Purply pink. Not purple plum.

Ive dug around reading reviews about the 'plate situation' and it seems to be a common problem with the gold series GHDs, in regards to uneven plates, hair snagging and basically people not being happy with them. Alot of people seem to prefer their old models and have returned the new. Im not saying everyone feels this way, just this is what i have read on the majority of reviews i've seen. My friend has a 4 year old pair and I prefer hers to mine 10 fold.

I am gutted to be returning mine, as to look at they are lovely but i'm not into 100 pound ornaments.
on 14 January 2014
WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY AND TIME..
BROKE EVEN AFTER USING IT ONLY FOR 2 TIMES IN 25 MIN
N
on 17 October 2013
First GHD straighteners I have bought and they are brilliant, heat up so quickly and can then put cap on and put them away still hot in heat proof case! Very very pressed, money very well spent!
on 11 January 2014
I've had mid-priced straighteners for years, and finally treat myself to GHDs - and now I see what all the fuss is about! Its the quick heat up time, the way the heat proof bag also unfolds to make a heat proof mat, the way you can put them away straight after use (heat proof cover included) to keep prying little fingers safe from burns, the nice long cord, the ease of packing for travel... but most of all the big differences is that my thick curly hair goes straight and stays straight!! They really do give a smooth, straight finish with minimal effort, which lasts even the following day when I've slept on it. Brilliant.
on 23 November 2013
I would recommend this product to everyone.
The pouch is lovely and good quality. The tip cover is great and makes them safe when not in use.
on 25 November 2013
The product is fantastic and came very quickly.they heat up very quickly and easy to use.i would recommend these straightners.
on 16 December 2012
These straighteners are really pretty and I love the roll away heat mat that they come with. They are ready pretty much instantaneously and keep my hair straight all day. I have really unruly long curly hair but they iron it out in seconds. I have also used them to curl my hair on nights out which takes a little practice but I love it for a glamourous evening look. I would never go back to any other straightener now I have my GHDs.
on 11 December 2012
I bought this product for my daughter when our old ghd's that we'd had for years died on us! I must say ghd have certainly improved their product. Very attractive and pleasing to the eye; my daughter was thrilled with them. They feel very comfortable to hold and appeared to be quicker at straightening hair in comparison to our old one. My daughter has quite thick, long hair but they work wonders! Recommended with 100% satisfaction!
on 19 October 2014
Was really pleased with these straighteners when they arrived but after a few days the electrical cord started to twist and then snapped. Amazon gave me a full refund. I then purchased another set from another online store and the same thing happened but both the seller and ghd themselves refused to give a refund. DO NOT buy the ghd V, it has a very serious design fault. If you want GHDs buy the Mark IIV version.