5.0 out of 5 stars Quality shaver for a great shave.
I've used a previous Philips shaver for 5 years, it needed another set of heads so I decided to upgrade to a newer model with the "3D" shaving heads and jet clean system.

Published 23 months ago by Bobbyzero

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine for a few months
We bought this razor for our son & after about ten months the jet wash unit failed. My husband also has had Phillips jet wash systems & is now awaiting his third replacement in 20 months. We thought my husband had just been unlucky but judging by comments on the Internet this is a common problem. Cannot recommend any Phillips razor that uses the jet wash system.
Published 13 months ago by Toffeecat

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality shaver for a great shave., 19 Dec 2012
This review is from: Philips SensoTouch RQ1251 Gyroflex 3D Electric Shaver with Jet Clean and Charge system (Personal Care)

It gives a good, close shave (not as close as using a razor), doesn't cause much skin irritation, and the jet clean system works really well, leaving the razor fresh and providing a noticeably better shave. The pop-out beard trimmer is good enough for a quick tidy-up, but you'll need a dedicated one for intensive work.

This is a high spec shaver, but for comparison here's what you don't get on this model compared to the top of the range one (SensoTouch RQ1280cc):
- battery display, you just get a 3-bar indicator of charge status rather than the time remaining in minutes.
- No audible beep when put into travel lock mode.
- Only one program on the jet clean system, the full model has 3 different cleaning modes

The actual shave head technology is unchanged within each range regardless of the extra features, this was £100 less than the top model and I think it was a good trade-off.

5.0 out of 5 stars best shaver i had, 24 Dec 2012
very good razor. Mobile heads do their job very well, very happy with the battery life, cleaning is very easy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the shaver but wouldn't buy again, 20 May 2013
Mr Gumby "DH" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This shaver gives me the closest and most comfortable electric shave I've ever had. That's after many different Philips rotary as well as Braun and Remington foil shavers. It's also comfortable to hold, the notch in the back making it easy to grip, and very quiet - no need to turn the radio up while shaving.

Now for the negatives:

* Replacement heads are horribly expensive, at around £50 every year, if you follow the recommendation for annual replacement (the shaver itself nags you after a year).

* If you use the Jetclean system every day, it'll cost you £120 p.a. or more in cleaning fluid. The system does work but rinsing the heads in hot water is simple and just about as effective.

* Cannot charge it without the stand or Jetclean. There's no way of plugging the charging lead directly into the shaver - a pain when travelling. A full charge should be just about enough for a two-week holiday, but as time goes on the batteries will lose their capacity.

* Very annoyingly, the printed, wordless instructions are very rudimentary. If you want the full, written instructions (which I'd recommend), you'll have to download them. You'll probably want to print them too, for easy reference when using the shaver.

So, would I buy this again? Probably not. I'd go for a more conventional Philips shaver with heads that only cost around £30 to replace and ability to charge without a separate stand, e.g. PT870. I'd forget about Jetclean which seems to be designed more to provide Philips with a continuing revenue stream than keep your shaver clean. That would probably still leave me very irritated with the instructions but I'd just have to put up with that because I do like Philips shavers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 15 Dec 2012
P. Gerlam (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have used Philips most of my life apart from a short spell with a Braun. Philips are so much better with a fantastic battery life. I also feel that rotary cutters work much better. My old shaver was well past its best and I really had to get a replacement and needless to say it had to be a Philips again. A bevildering range of versions on the market and I have to say that the pricing structure is a bit strange to say the least. This version with the cleaner unit comes in cheaper than some stand alone units which is a bit strange but makes it a cracking buy on Amazon. I have to agree with the other reviews that this give you a very clean shave. A great buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Philps Shaver I have had, 25 Dec 2012
Have had Philips shavers for longer than I care to remember and needed to upgrade. Looked carefully at whats around, settled again on Philips and their 3D head system and reviewed each of the models. The top end model has some extra features but not worth the cost in my opinion, chose this model over lower prices options, and when I went to order it had dropped £50 since I marked it, so even better. Have now used for a few days and its the best electric shaver I have ever had (and I have always been pleased with past Philishavers). Very close shave, easy to use, excellent value and with the cleaning bath in the price even better. My last shaver showed how many minutes was left, this one shows bars of charge left but thats really not a problem to live with at all. Neither is the one speed clean system compared to the 3 speed top end model. Excellent value and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Shaver, 7 Jun 2014
C. Wilson "Luckster" (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I have been using a braun double foil razor with the clean/charge/renew system for a couple of years now and i have never been that happy with the cut as i had to go over each section 2/3 times and even then it missed a lot.
This RQ1251 arrived this morning. Just had my first shave with it....was expecting a bit of irritation on first use due to the lift&cut as opposed to my braun. Wonderfully pleased. Really close shave and no irritation. Didn't really need to keep going over each section either. The first pass was pretty much enough. It was a little awkward around the top lip/nose area but once I'd angled it right I got all the hair.
The cleaning system was easy to set up and is quite futuristic with the pod rising and falling with your razor in it.
For £150 I am really, really pleased. I wouldnt have paid the full £300 RRP though.
It is the best electric shaver I have ever used and am happy to recommend to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Shave, 17 Mar 2013
Purchased this shaver having owned various much cheaper electric shavers in the past with limited success.
Previous ones I found did not provide a good close shave and frankly ended up giving up with them and reverting to a razor.

I find using a razor a pain, and having sensitive skin find it painful shaving every day so thought I would research the latest electric options again.

I was rather sceptical about how good this shaver could be at £200 + versus a £40-50 model. I asked can it really be so much better ? At the end of the day it has blades that rotate like the cheaper models. However as I had already had cheaper models in the past without success, and having read other reviews on Amazon, I thought I would take the gamble and go for it.

The result:
Well I am happy with it, it does shave better and closer than previous shavers I have used. I think that must be down the the flexibility and movement of the head units that allow the blades to get closer on angles and contours of your face.
Have been using it for a month now. The battery seems to be good and strong and being Li-ion rather than the older Ni-Cad should fare better hopefully with charging/usage.

It is not as good as the best wet shave razors in the market, but it is good enough and I can shave with it every day without issue to my sensitive skin. I shave with it dry and haven't tried with foam etc so cant comment on that part of it.

The Jet clean I think is probably a bit of a gimmick as you can easily clean the heads manually, but it does clean the shaving head so does what it says on the tin.

Why 4 stars and not 5 ? Simply because of the price. It is very expensive and loses a start because of that for me. It should really be closer to £120 mark.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very satisfied, 23 May 2014
This has been my first electric razor since being given a philishave exclusive in the 1980's. I find it very quiet and shaves closer than the old model , if you take time to shave counter to the growth direction of your beard. I feel the extra set of blades in the centre of the wheels helps with the shave. I have tried wet shaving bit the dry shave is just as close, good to have the luxury of shaving outside bathroom. The charge lasts for about a week so good for a weeks business trip where the shaver is light to carry as cabin baggage . For 2 weeks travelling you need the charger stand. Overall excellent .

1.0 out of 5 stars Fine for a few months, 21 Oct 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars far to expensive and not as good as expected...., 21 Mar 2013
I have a medical condition so though i would make the move from wet to electric shaving and although i had bought a cheaper Philips shaver before This is the first high end shaver i have bought. After reading reviews from amazon and which best shaver awards i settled for what is considered to be the best. Well so far i am a bit disappointed... I had some view that due to the incredibly high price and reviews technology had moved on in the world of dry shaving but sadly this is not true. So far i fail to see what all the hype is about this item. It sadly does not and never will come close to wet shaving in any form. Yes its true you can wet shave with it and it feel a bit better than dry but after a weeks use i had to have a good old wet shave to remove long neck hairs to feel as if i have had a proper shave.
A for the so named jet clean system DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY...As an electrical engineer i was longing to see how this item worked. Could i see any jets as the name implies NO. Is it ultrasonic bath that cleans jewelry to perfection No. It a boys toy that simply lowers the shaver into the bath and switches the shaver motors on and off , the heads of the shaver then move the jet clean liquid around the bath. For £70 less i could have ran the shaver in a bowl of liquid to gain the same results. I contacted Philips but so far have not received a reply... Admittedly its not all bad if you are used to a dry shaver its probably good if not don't spend as much money as i did. You will be disappointed.....