4.0 out of 5 stars Philips AT 892/22 - good to have one
Have been using razor blades for the past 40 years and was constrained to change over to electric shaver due to my medical condition - must admit I was initially very upset that I had to start my day to day chores sporting a 'half-finished' shaved face...how mistaken I was!!

Published on 23 Nov. 2012 by S-WORKS

2.0 out of 5 stars TonyW
Published on 5 Dec. 2012 by A. Whittaker

4.0 out of 5 stars Philips AT 892/22 - good to have one, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Philips AT892/22 AquaTouch Wet and Dry Electric Shaver with Jet Clean and Charge system (Personal Care)

Until a month ago I had no idea that wet electric shavers even existed and my only regret is that I did not get hold of one earlier. It took me two to three shaves to be able to master the trimmer otherwise it has been plain sailing from day 1...the HQ8 heads are powerful, super effective and soothing, especially when applying shaving gel.

Cleaning, dismantling and installing back the head/blades section is so simple that I hardly utilize the JET CLEAN unit although I would recommend having one.

Oh yes..supplementing the shipment with a standard protective (travelling)pouch and a power adapter would make things even better.

2.0 out of 5 stars TonyW, 5 Dec. 2012
The Shaver appears to work ok, better than I expected as I have always used a blade. BUT, the charger unit is huge, dangerous as the liquid can easily spill and also its noisy. The Instructions are next to useless! This is the main reason why I rated it so low ...there are none! Only a very small booklet with pictures. I`m an engineer so you would think it would be easy to use a shaver. I couldn't even get it to charge.

If you buy one be warned, you must make sure you push the shaver down and then backwards into the rear of charger unit and then used the locking mechanism to hold it in place. It`s easy to use the lock mechanism when the shaver is too far forward and in this position it will not charge and the Jet clean will not work. I think this is a stupid design fault that Philips should not have made.

In conclusion, don`t bother to buy it. Buy another make or buy the cheaper Philips without the Jet Clean/Charge base unit.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very close shave, great for the "baldie" look., 10 April 2013
Although it can take a long time, you can get a very close shave, as near as a wet shave as I've ever had. It's a sub £100 razor and I've paid £200+ for shavers before and they did not give as good results.
I also use it to shave my head, a friend with a similar "hairstyle" to mine had several small cuts and scratches plus a shaving rash on his head has now bought one of these, he couldn't believe I hadn't shaved with a wet shave. I find it great to use wet or dry, though you can get a few hairs missed under the chin / neck though.
Pros. Very close shave. Cleaning cycle is very quick.
Cons. No travel case, though the cheaper non cleaning model which is exactly the shaver without cleaning is supplied with the case. Shame on you Philips.

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, 28 May 2013
Very good shaver, not too sure about washing under water, but gives an an exellent finish, and I blow the residue out

2.0 out of 5 stars DISAPPOINTED, 5 Jan. 2013
does not close shave me can use in the shower still does close shave me THOUGHT IT CHARGED IN THE BASE IT DOES NOT

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't make my mistake, USE THIS SHAVER WET and it's superb!, 30 May 2015
Andy (Taunton, Somerset) - See all my reviews
I've owned this shaver for a couple of years now and I only came to write this as I was getting a bit disgruntled with it and was looking for a replacement. Then I tried it as a wet shaver. WHAT a difference. Dry shaving is ok with it, but I found it missed areas or I had to run it over my face over and over, making it red. I had used it wet once, but without any foam and thought it was a gimmick.

As a last chance, I used it wet "properly" that is, I bought some shaving gel (regular dove stuff) and it made an incredible difference. Much quicker than using it dry, even allowing for the rinsing and mucking about with water as it's way more effective and requires much fewer circulations to get a better result.

I only mark it down as it's a bit disappointing as a dry shaver and the mahoosive charging/cleaning unit is a bit cumbersome (the wife insists I hide it away in a cupboard!). You can't take that on holiday with you, although it does hold charge for well over a week. Also the philips cleaning fluid is quite expensive, prone to spillage in the charging unit and doesn't last very long before it needs changing or topping up (the unit won't clean if it falls below the level which seems quite high). However usually just popping it open and rinsing it under the tap does the job.

I used to have the Philips shaver which secreted a balm, as I tend to get a shaver burn quite easily, but they stopped making that model and this was the closest I could find. Works much better wet, with gel and no more shaver burn/rash!

5.0 out of 5 stars my choice, 3 May 2013
robert price (birmingham,united kingdom) - See all my reviews
After many years of Phillips shavers I have finally found one that suits my beard

it gives me a closer shave leaving my skin smoother .
I would recommend this shaver

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite a close shave, 10 July 2013
I thought it would shave better being so expensive, I have to finish off with a wet traditional razor, a bit utility in construction. Like the idea of washing it under the tap

5.0 out of 5 stars Electric shaver, 5 Jun. 2013
Fantastic product, well worth my money. I can use it in the car, as well as in the shower. Love the cleaning jet gadget as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars SHAME ON PHILLIPS - DON'T BUY THIS MODEL, 13 May 2015
I have used Philips shavers ever since the 60's but this one was poorly designed allowing the heads to become damaged to easily. In fact the whole top cartridge just flew off. Phillips ignored my complaint. Also the wet and dry does not work for me. It does not rinse out just clogs up. My advice would be to stay away from these models unless you are careful and do not use the wet and dry.
Having said that I did replace it with a later model that appears to have been slightly modified but would not use the wet feature.