4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shaver if you like to wet shave.
I bought this form Amazon for £61.50 (It seems to have gone up in price since then).
For years I avoided rotary-head shavers because logic would seem to dictate that a foil shaver must give a closer shave.

Published on 10 Sep 2012 by EGR

2.0 out of 5 stars not good
Published 16 months ago by btm fdr

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent shaver if you like to wet shave., 10 Sep 2012
EGR "EGR" (Kefalonia, Greece) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips AT890/17 AquaTouch Plus Wet and Dry Electric Shaver (Personal Care)

A couple of years ago, I needed a new shaver and bought a Philips SensoTouch (it being the only wet and dry model that they had in the shop). I was amazed to find that it gave me a much closer shave, much more quickly than any of the foil shavers I'd used in the past (Panasonic, Hitachi, and Braun - the last of which cost nearly as much as a secondhand car).

Unfortunately the SensoTouch suffered from appalling build quality, and a ridiculous design which mean that the blade covers had a habit of unlatching while you were shaving which could result in damage, not only to the heads, but also to your face! Eventually, I binned it and swore never to buy another Philips product.

I never managed to find any other brand that could give such a good shave, and, after reading reviews of this model, decided to give Philips another try. I'm glad I did. The build quality of this model is excellent, and it doesn't suffer from the same design flaw as the SensoTouch - you need to unlatch the entire head in order to release the blades. It also comes with neat little instruction book - entirely in pictures (normally something I'd hate - but it manages to convey all relevant information, such as how to clean, how to remove blades, which replacements to buy, how often to clean ,and how often to replace the blades).

I would have awarded five stars, but every other shaver I've had could be plugged directly into a UK shaver socket or a European 2 or 3 pin connector. This one fits only UK shaver sockets, which means if you live or holiday in Europe, you'll need an adaptor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips Shaver, 26 Oct 2012
I bought this Shaver as it was on offer after years of using blades. I'd become fed up with the cost of replacing them.

As a first time user I really like this Shaver. It works best in the shower, and when I go to the gym I find it fantastic. Early days but the battery seems pretty good as well.

Would definately recommend it if you are looking to replace you shaver or try and electric one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Razor sharp, 20 Oct 2012
I have always been a Philishave person, so when my wife dropped my razor and smashed the head I did not hesitate to buy another.
The AT809/17 was chosen because of its wet and dry capability and it is cordless. This shaver is light, easy to clean, quick to recharge and provides me with an excellent shave with minimal effort. I can not tell you how long it will run on one charge because I have not had the need to recharge it yet. I purchased this about 16 days ago, used it every day and it is still going.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 16 Nov 2012
This shaver replaced a previous model which eventually died. While I waiting for it to come I had to use a Braun that I had bought some time back and now know why I hated it so much. The Aquatouch is well made and is a dream to shave with. It offers a smooth and quiet shave. I don't use it wet as I get a really close shave using it dry. Basically, I can't be bothered with all that foam stuff, since it works well enough without it. Excellent value for the price

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome shaver, 13 Oct 2012
This shaver has very good reviews but I was still skeptical having paid £160 for a Phillips shaver a few years ago and being a bit disappointed, as it struggled with longer hairs especially on the neck. i tried a Remington for a few years and found it rubbish although a cheap one, when it went wrong I decided to try another Phillips. Even though this had such good reviews my expectations were average due to my experience with the £160 one. When it arrived I purposely had relatively long hair that all other shavers had struggled with and gave this one a go. i was amazed, it took the lot straight off ! What normally took me ten minutes was done in 3 or 4 mins and blows all other shavers i've had out the water. I used to detest shaving but now its a pleasure. A normal shave takes a couple of mins now. I havent even tried the wet shave which is supposed to be even better! £60 bargain! I would pay double that for this.

5.0 out of 5 stars First rate, 29 Aug 2012
I cannot really think of any way this shaver could be much better. It works well both wet and dry. I believe that the last version had a storage pouch with it and I was slightly surprised that this one did not, but as problems go that one is minor.

5.0 out of 5 stars Philips back on form, 16 Aug 2012
Philips AT890/17 continues the return to form of the AT890, a well made shaver that gives a good close shave wet or dry, quick charging, easy clean and maintenance, comfortable in the hand, and a sensible, simple charging lead that means it all just pops into a washbag when travelling. None of the fiddly design exercises that make their sensortronic shavers a pain to live with, cumbersome charging boxes, difficult to clean other than in the bespoke cleaning unit, and a shaving head that produces a poor to adequate shave and will certainly fall off at some point - either shaving or in your luggage. The 890 is well priced at £60 and a very good shaver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Shaver, 22 Sep 2012
Birmingham Book Reader (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Having brought a number of Philips Shavers I wanted to purchase a new one to replace a 10 year old shaver that sadly had come to the end of it's life. I am so impressed with the AT890/17 AquaTouch. It is a a wet and dry shaver - works great in both ways. Perhaps the best shave I have ever had. Great battery charge - really pleased.

2.0 out of 5 stars not good, 14 July 2013
Simply does not cut well enough. CONSTANTLY misses hairs, meaning you have to go over the same area 4 or 5 times, resulting in irritation. Not comfortable to use around the neck area and causes irritation even on not particularly sensitive skin. Not impressed, I recommend a Braun series 7 foil shaver, they seem superior, albeit more expensive. Would not recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smoothest yet., 7 Jun 2013
David ROWE (Kent U/K) - See all my reviews
I have been shaving for about sixty years, even when I had a beard I trimmed round the edges. I have had Remmington, Ronson, Braun and Phillishave shavers as well as toying with disposable razor wet shaving and even a cut-throat!

This AT890 is the best yet, by a long way. Received wisdom is that an electric shaver can't equal a blade; I have had the smoothest shaves ever with my AT890, even just using it dry. also it is quick.