4.0 out of 5 stars Generally excellent with lots and lots of detail on the latest OS X
Although I'm technically proficient on Windows, I've only owned Apple machines since the mid 2011 iMac, so there is always something else to learn with OSX. This book assumes you know very little and as such is great for new users of Mountain Lion (as found on most new Apple desktop/laptop hardware from 2012 onwards).

The layout of the book is typical Dummies...
Published 20 months ago by Mrenshaw

3.0 out of 5 stars Does the Job.
Covers most things you need to know if new to Mac. Tends to be over descriptive for even the most basic functions. Rather to much personal views from the Author rather then just instructions to pad the book out and make it look bigger then needed.
Published 6 months ago by Vic325

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Purchase, 27 Aug 2013
Webb (Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This book has been a great help in getting me round the new computer - and I understood most of it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars OSX BOOK, 22 Aug 2013
Extremely useful for an Apple novice like me. Will buy other Apple users books when I have digested this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and informative., 5 Aug 2013
Book arrived promptly and was well packaged; purchased it together with "My iMac" because I wanted more in-depth knowledge and it has definitely improved this greatly. Thank you !

4.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful, 14 July 2013
Done exactly what it needed to do having never used a Mac before.
Covered everything from movie making to music albums

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, 14 July 2013
Easy to follow, as it says for dummies, never used a mac before. Great hints to help you on the way to further explore your mac.

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful adapting to a MAC from a PC, 14 May 2013
A dummies book in colour! Very helpful advice for those looking to make the switch from a PC to a MAC

5.0 out of 5 stars Just right for the less computer literate., 1 May 2013
J Grainger - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
If, like me, you are familiar with a Mac but are no expert this is the book for you. I've always felt that instruction manuals for beginners (and, to a less extent, 'intermediate' users) should be written alongside people who actually are beginners. That way the expert can be guided as to how beginners think [or don't!]. I've found this book pretty much matches that spec. It's well laid out, easy to read and, most importantly, easy to understand.

The material is well presented, with a touch of humour - which always helps. For Snow Leopard I had the Missing Manual - which is very good but contains far too much technical detail for me. The chapter on UNIX or Hacking Mac OS X I never went near, for example.
To make a direct comparison you could check out the iCal entries. I find the Dummies section on Calendars very easy to grasp and it doesn't contain more advanced information such as publishing Calendars to the Web (why would anyone want to? - OK I know there's an answer but this Dummy doesn't need the info!)

So this book is great for beginners and contains all I need and more. Those with more technical savvy might find it has shortcomings and should go for the Missing Manual

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential companion to Mountain Lion., 18 Oct 2012
Mr. Philip Harkins "If in doubt, Smile! :-)" (London) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I think these books are essential for everyone using Macs; even if you have had a Mac for years then you will still learn from this a few new tricks and if you are new to Macs then it is even more essential...
It has all the latest additions to OSX and shows the shortcuts as well as new ways of doing the essential bits and pieces that you do and is set out in a very easy to follow chapter style.
I've been using Macs for years now and still get these books with every new OSX... theres always something new to learn and at this price they are very, very good value.
Also makes a fantastic gift to those who are new to macs, and for youngsters on their way to Uni with a new Macbook etc.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice guide for OX10.8 Mountain Lion, 2 Oct 2012
A. I. Mackenzie "alimack" (Glasgow, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been very taken with the Pogue guides to Apple OSX and have usually stuck with those, so I'll make a comparison between the two in this review.

This is a decent book, it has clear explanations and a good choice of material. I particularly like the troubleshooting chapters.

Dummies books tend to fall into two categories: either they're too simple to be any use or 'just right' (the Goldilocks version). This is just right to get beginners up to speed. There are a couple of advanced topics missing, such as CUPS printing and UNIX at line command, that are in the OS X Mountain Lion: The Missing Manual (Missing Manuals), which you wouldn't expect from a beginner's book.

So a good starter book, recommended for beginners or switchers from the PC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money., 24 Sep 2012
S. Broadbent "cyberspaceexpress" (Exeter, Devon) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This book exceeded my expectations and is now an invaluable tool beside my Mac.
I have had a Mac computer for 3 years having taken a leap of faith away from years of Windows computing.
It was a good decision, as any Mac user will explain, they are vastly superior to the Microsoft operating system but take some time to come to terms with.

I state that because this book is still very useful for someone who is now used to operating a Mac.
I found shortcuts and features that I had not discovered after 3 years of use.
The point is that this book is well laid out, with clear explanations and excellent diagrams that really make it ideal for an absolute beginner or an intermediate user such as myself.

Most things you are likely to need to know are covered in enough detail for most purposes.
It is also neatly broken down into relevant sections, it takes seconds to find the specific information you require.
Above all is the easygoing way that it is written, with clear screenshots to help as well.

I would recommend this as a computer side instruction manual for all but the most advanced users. It really is excellent value for money.

OS X Mountain Lion For Dummies