5.0 out of 5 stars I found out that Windows runs better with Paralells on a Mac than on traditonal hardware
Parallels is an excellent product that delivers on promise! Moving to a Mac, I was afraid to lose the investments I've made in applications that I use for my study and run on Windows. However, a friend made the same move and told me about Parallels and how satisfied she was with the easy install and the overall performance.
Now I have best of both worlds (apps wise)...
Published 19 months ago by Linde B

I'm giving it 3 stars because
• office running under windows 7 keeps crashing.
• Remote Desktop to my PC renders in a full hires of the retina display rather scaling appropriately.

Other then that it actually is great. integrates well with Mac OS.

Def best option on the market at the moment.
Published 16 months ago by AC DC

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - But Beware Windows Gamers, 21 Sep 2012
Traffic (Kiruna, Sweden) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
I have an early 2011 MacBook Pro 15-inch labtop with an i7 Quad-Core Processor, 1GB Graphic Card and 8GB DDR3 SDRAM. I am a big fan of the Macs but also like to play my Windows games. In the past I have just created a Windows partition on my MBP to play top end games, such as Skyrim, which the MBP plays beautifully. However, the drawback is that I have to shut down and reboot when I want to switch from Mac to Windows and vice versa. So I decided to give Parallels 8 (P8) a try (couldn't use the cheaper Paralells 7 as it doesn't work with Mountain Lion by all accounts.)

At first I was vary happy with P8; it installed with no fuss and made Windows installation so easy. I did have a proplem with the activation of Windows. I used the same disc and Product Key as I had previously used on my MBP assuming it would recognise it was the same computer. It didn't. So I had to contact Microsoft and get them to reactivate it for me. Once installed I noticed that Windows only recognised 1GB of the 8GB of RAM I had installed but this was easily rectified by increasing the RAM recognition on the Virtual Machine (VM) settings. VM - this is where it all falls down for Windows gamers. It uses up so much memory and slows games down to a crawl. I tried playing Skyrim on it but it was hopelessly slow. P8 also will only recognise up to 8GB RAM but it is recommended you only allow VM to recognise 1-4GB.

It's a shame it uses VM to reconstruct Windows as it really was awesome having the option of double-clicking the Parallels Windows icon whilst still in Mac and having a Windows window open up, and as I said this is where it falls down.

If you are only wanting the Windows for simple spreadsheet type programmes then P8 is probably ideal, but if you want to play your Windows games through it - forget it! You'd be much better off with using BootCamp to create a Windows partition and rebooting into that to play your Windows games.

So, 4 stars for the idea behind the product and the ease of installation but misses out on the 5th star as it really is not good for playing high end Windows games on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Parallels Desktop 8.0 For Mac, 15 May 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
Received from Amazon in just 2 days. Inserted CD into the Mac and followed easy-to-follow instructions. Installation was completed in minutes without issue. Then installed Google OS and a copy of Windows XP which I needed to run an older piece of accounting software. Both installs were fine and needed no additional work. I haven't actually used the Google OS as I'm not that familiar with it, but Windows XP works fine and I very happy to report that the accounting software (Quicken 2000 Deluxe) is running well and I even uploaded the backup data file at the first attempt. The only reason that this product doesn't get 5 stars is that I had already installed Parallels 6.0 on my Mac Book Pro 2 years ago. When I upgraded to OS X Lion, this version stopped working!! 65.00 down the drain instantly. New version was cheaper on an Amazon special offer, but I hope that future upgrades to Mac OS X won't cause Parallels 8.0 to fail?????? Caveat Emptor!

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for me, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
I am sure this is a good product but it was not what I required. It is an upgrade and I didn't have the original. It was returned and all postage was refunded.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product..., 23 Jan 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
Would highly recommend buying if you would like to run any windows application. It does what it says on the box and a must buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Brilliant, 3 Oct 2012
Mr. M. J. Leigh "Mike Leigh" (Manchester UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
After switching to an iMac from PCs in February this year, it took a while to get to grips with the new OS, but I'm really glad I did switch.

There are 2 Windows programmes I couldn't manage without - Mailwasher Pro and TMPGEnc 4 Express. They run perfectly and almost seamlessly in Parallels Coherence mode and now appear to be Mac applications

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for Designers, 24 Jun 2013
Mr. G. Walburn "Seligsoft" (Gloucestershire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
I bought version 7, now upgraded to 8. I run a design company and use macs all the time, however there are always apps and programs you can only open in Windows. I have XP-SP2, Win-7, Win-8, Ubuntu and Google Chrome OS loaded on mine, I can open client files easily and test websites on more platforms to boot. You can move a virtual machine installation to and external hard drive, or storage server, then the only restrictions are the network speeds, ours is on a 1000Mbps network and runs flawlessly, also saves on the hard drive space too.

If you are a Mac only person then this will not be of interest to you, but if you are like me having to deal with more Windows clients than Mac ones then it is a good and cheap way to have more than one computer, Parallels also networks to all of your other devices, it easily set up a work network with my Win 7 laptop.

It comes with the facility to run Windows in a mac window, full screen (as if it were a Windows machine) and Coherence which turns the windows programs and makes them work in the mac environment, very clever. I found with high end graphics programs there are some screen refresh problems in coherence view, but fine in the others. You can also use Apples Boot-Camp, but you will have to close down to switch from OS's. All of the files and devices on the mac can be shared with the virtual OS's so you can jump easily between Mac OS and Windows.

Note: If you are running more than one OS, increase the size of your ram to accommodate, I upgraded to 16GB, and can run 3 OS's together.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every cent............, 9 Jun 2013
D. E. Gregory "DEG" (Ingleton - Yorkshire Dales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
I am by no means a techie, in fact far from it, but Parallels was recommended by a friend and what a asset it is. Easy to install, and easy to use. I can now use my window applications, and I think - if it is possible - my MacBook Pro is slightly faster now having loaded Parallels. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars nice, 31 May 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
Nice and easy to install and use. All programs run swiftly and precisely. Would recommend to all mac users who still need to use a pc as well

5.0 out of 5 stars It just works!, 8 May 2013
This review is from: Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac (DVD-ROM)
I love my Mac, but every now again have to use a poorly designed, old fashion program or plug in that only works on one of the old windows operating systems i.e - XP this is where Parallels comes in. It seamlessly solves the problem, plus with the swish off my hand I am back in my favourite OSX operating system - This has literally solved all my headaches - Would recommend to everyone !!

LeeW

3.0 out of 5 stars Got it for my new mac to run windows 7. works like a charm for most things., 21 Mar 2013
I'm giving it 3 stars because
• office running under windows 7 keeps crashing.

Other then that it actually is great. integrates well with Mac OS.

Def best option on the market at the moment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 311 | Next ›

Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac
Parallels Desktop 8.0 for Mac by Parallels (Mac OS X)
24.99