Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 June 2013
Bob Mould's musical output has been varied (to say the least!) over the last decade or so. Many fans took objection to his foray into electronica, and the arrival as Life and Times was a welcome return to form for them. His work on the Blowoff album had a mixed reception, although it was definitely an album of great songwriting, which showed that there was a great energy source still to be tapped.
This most recent album has a direct line to that energy source. A lot of Bob's more recent solo (guitar based) albums felt tired, going through the motions, with his voice sounding little more than a monotone drone; so to me, it seems as if the hiatus from his guitar has done him the world of good. Silver Age is guitar god Bob Mould back on form. The musicianship has never been in question; but now the spirit is back, and he uses his voice in ways that he hasn't since the days of Sugar. This isn't Copper Blue, and it certainly isn't Candy Apple Grey, but it is the first of his solo albums that I've really _wanted_ to listen to since Sugar.
VINE VOICEon 15 January 2013
Bob Mould has produced in a glittering career some of the best albums that I own, from the work with Husker Du to his work with Sugar, he's always been there or there abouts on my perfect playlist.

However, since Workbook, I've not really 'got' much of his solo work, which drifted by. My hopes for Silver Age were not overtly high, but how pleasantly surprised I am, it is a stone wall classic.

In many ways, this is the perfect follow up to Sugar's 'Copper Blue', arguably his best work post Husker Du, the songs are all strong, the pace is electric and the songs flow brilliantly. Best thing of all is the length, 10 perfect songs, no filler, no nonsense.

The only question is why don't you own it already, it is that good.
on 24 November 2012
The excellent reviews convinced me to buy this and it really is a terrific album which should be played on maximum volume.
Tracks sound as though as they were recorded live.
Buy as soon as possible
on 22 May 2016
So much music to listen to and so little time these days but I'm glad I made the time to get into this absolute corker.
Bob will be 56 in October 2016 but , as his recent Uk tour showed, his music has lost little of the intensity that it had when he started out nearly 40 years ago.
And he's still writing great, memorable hooks. One of his very best.
on 14 May 2013
Great to hear from Bob Mould again. Solid album but it obviously cannot better the majestic Copperblue album from his earlier band sugar. Looking forward to seeing him live next week.
on 19 February 2016
Cracking guitar album. I don't have loads of Husker Du / Bob Mould so as a relatively casual fan I think it's a good next step if you liked Copper Blue by Sugar.
on 24 November 2013
Bob Mould has never recorded a bad album, some are really good, some are really great - this one falls in the latter - What are you waiting for -Go Buy!
on 20 July 2013
I am a huge Bob Mould fan and have most of his stuff going back to Husker Du. There are some good tracks on this but for me it's all a bit samey. Of course I like his angry in your face stuff but as a writer of such excellent reflective and melancholic stuff it's a shame there isn't some mixed in here. Album reminds me a bit of last dog and pony show and is not very district line (that only works if you know his stuff tho!) if this is your first Bob purchase, buy district line instead.