4.0 out of 5 stars Another Peak for Bob
Published 23 months ago by Carl Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars file under samey listening
Don't get me wrong, this is a solid album, but it's also the same old story here for me: Loved Husker Du, loved Sugar, but can't get into Bob Mould's solo albums. There's always a couple of standout tracks - here the opener 'Star Machine' and track 8 'Angels Rearrange' could probably have snuck onto Sugar's underrated 'F.U.E.L' - but elsewhere it's the uncomfortable sense...
Published 20 months ago by ChuckFadanoid

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Peak for Bob, 24 Oct 2012
Carl Allen "Pablo Diablo" (Dublin Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
Right, Bob Mould is an icon for me so with that said I will do my best to review the album in its own right. The album kicks off with three great songs - Star Machine, Silver Age and The Descent - all typical Bob - he seems very comfortable in his sneered melodic unapologetic rage - Silver Age took a few listens before the full impact hit but wow what a song. The Descent, great lyrics, speaks volumes about where he seems to be right now. For me the mid-album songs are top drawer but dont hit the peaks of the first three until Angels Rearrange starts another great threesome of songs to finish the album out. There isn't one song on the album that I'd skip through and I've been listening to it a lot over the last two weeks - Streams of Hercules is this albums cry out Hoover Dam and may well become a classic in the fullness of time. I'm trying to find a con about the album to temper my enthusiasm buts its difficult - the production is right for the Bob Mould sound and his band are on top form. Roll on Bob - once a legend....always......

5.0 out of 5 stars Copper Blue? Pure Gold!, 10 Oct 2012
Nick Redfern "thenickmeister" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
A fabulous return to form by the original troubadour of rock. This is Bob Mould's finest and most consistent body of work since Copper Blue. Textured, layered guitar based tunes that grab your ears. The other 5 star reviews say it all, so I won't repeat. This album needs to be played LOUDLY ! (That is all)

5.0 out of 5 stars A return to classic guitar led rock, 1 Oct 2012
Big Jim "Big Jim" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
With the exception of the last track First time joy this album is a return to what many, me included, thinks Bob Mould does best, Rock n Roll with loud guitars, bass and drums. On this occasion he hasn't forgotten the songs either, predominantly slow/soft verse, soaring surging chorus, just like it used to be. There have been a few examples recently of artists who have re-visited their past to produce timeless excellence and this album is another one. It's the old dilemma, do you try and be experimental to show you are seeking out new avenues, which Mould has done on previous occasions, or do you return to what has proved successful in the past and you patently enjoy producing, give it a bit of a polish and get it out there? In this case it's the latter and very welcome it is too.

5.0 out of 5 stars my review, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
Bob Mould on devastating, full throttle form in my view. First new album by Mr Mould that I have bought in years. A great mix of searing guitar work, thumping drums and tuneful melody. If this is Bob's Silver Age I wonder what his Golden Age might bring? Keep on keeping on Bob, one of my fave all time musical heroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bob back to his best, 17 Nov 2012
P. Baker (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
I have been a massive Husker Du/Sugar/Bob Mould fan for years, although even I would admit that Mould's post-Sugar output has been patchy at best. That said, Silver Age is cracking. I feared for the worst after the last album (Life and Times), which is to be avoided in all honesty, but this is very much a return to form. Definitely prefer it to District Line, which is a quality album in its own right.

This feels like where Sugar would have gone if he had stayed with it. I had read that he was looking to rock out a bit on his next album, and this doesn't disappoint. Bob's voice has a bit of its old growl back and there is some restrained guitar feedback. The first five songs segue wonderfully well into each other, everytime I listen to this the volume knob keeps going up. Best of all there are none of the navel-staring dirges which his Bobness is sometimes prone to.

This is Bob Mould doing what he does best. I keep hoping he will have one more go at a Husker Du album (Zen Arcade II mmmmmmm), but I guess we are all getting old. Bob is looking decidely ancient these days. There is a bit of filler towards the end, but no song outstays its welcome. I would call it AOR, but it is too good for that, not least because there is a little drop of Husker spite in the mix. Sincerely hope that Bob stays in this mould (see what I done!) for at least another album. I am still kicking myself because I missed his last UK dates. Green Day and Muse won't be this good in 25 years time. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellence, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Silver Age (MP3 Download)
This is Bob Mould at his absolute best. Heavy guitars and great tunes - what more do you want? All in all, an excellent album.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love Bob!, 2 Aug 2013
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
Just the greatest man in music. Ever. This is an astonishing record, every bit as good as Copper Blue and certainly better than either Candy Apple Grey or Warehouse. How he keeps cranking out such consisisent quality is anyone's guess, but it it doesn't matter just as long as he does. I saw him live in Leeds a couple of months back and it was storming; first 5 tracks played were just side one of Copper Blue. A few tracks from this as well, but the totallyy unexpected highlight was an amazing rendition of 'Chartered Trips' off Zen Arcade; certainly not a song I ever thought I'd ever hear performed live.

I've got Grant Hart's new LP on order, and it should arrive any day. You've a lot to live up here Grant, but I'm sure you're up to the task!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 2 Jun 2013
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
This just proves that age is no boundary to creating fantastic music. I have a lots of Bob's previous CDs in various guises and I think this is actually one of the best. All of the tracks here are superb, no fillers in sight. With each listen, the tracks grow and it really is a well put together album with great production.
If you have ever liked Husker Du or Sugar you will not be disappointed. If youve never heard of Bob Mould, where have you been? Any fans of Foo Fighers or equivalents wont be disappointed with this.
Just remember to play nice and loud. Bob Mould, I salute you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sugar - reprise?, 2 Feb 2013
Mr. S. C. Burge "deleted_dvds" (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
I've folloewed Bob Mould since the glory days of 'Copper Blue' and during college 'Sugar' formed the staple part of my music diet. I don't need to discuss 'Copper Blue' or 'Beaster' as they speak for themselves, and whilst I've listened to every solo album since then, I've never heard one that smacks so much of the old days. Layered, textured sounds, merging over melodious rock riffs, raw and unpolished - it really sounds like 'Sugar' all over again. And that's a good thing. Stand out tracks for me are the brilliant 'The Descent' which could have been taken from 'Copper Blue' (yes, it's THAT good) and Silver Age, a rip rawing blister of a song. Mould's heavy lyrics add to the mood and what you are left with is a assault on the senses. A blistering rip-roaring clash of sounds that is totally unique and is charateristic of Mould's sound. I missed the recent 'Sugar' show due to work commitments, but hell, if he plays in the UK again, consider my ticket bought. 'Download' I hope you are listening......

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Quality, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Silver Age (Audio CD)
The excellent reviews convinced me to buy this and it really is a terrific album which should be played on maximum volume.
Tracks sound as though as they were recorded live.
Buy as soon as possible

Silver Age
Silver Age by Bob Mould (Audio CD - 2012)