5.0 out of 5 stars Good Film + Good Seller
Published 5 months ago by Little John

3.0 out of 5 stars A steamy re-make of James M Cains classic novel.
Opting for a more explicit take than its famous predesessor,the Lana Turner-John Garfield 1946 classic,Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange are both well cast as the ill-fated lovers.Not Bob Rafelsons best
Published 14 months ago by mihos

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Film + Good Seller, 26 Jan 2014
Little John (Nottinghamshire England) - See all my reviews
I ordered this film as I knew that my sons would like it (they are both adults). It came from the Czech Republic complete with Czech writing on the box and menus, and soundtrack also in Czech, but this was a minor detail as the DVD contains the original English soundtrack and also subtitles if you need them. Also supplied was an instruction sheet giving simple to follow instructions of how the select the English soundtrack from the Czech menu system. We didn't need them however as one of my sons was able to work out how to do this himself in seconds.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 April 2014
I like it very much but then again am jack nichlson fan it is a nice movie and it is a good price

3.0 out of 5 stars A steamy re-make of James M Cains classic novel., 29 April 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars The more I watch this film the more I'm compelled to admire it., 16 Aug 2008
This is not the sort of film I normally like to watch and the first time I saw it it left a bad taste in my mouth and even made me bad-tempered when I got home from the cinema. But at the same time I was left very much aware that the sex scene in the kitchen had produced in me that feeling of awe and admiration which is a recognition of the Sublime. I was convinced from the start that here was one of the finest things ever seen on film - a ten minute work of art in itself, comparable, on different grounds, to anything that Manny Farber had ever singled out from it's context.
Since then I have been compelled to admire the sheer craftsmanship with which the film is put together - its tone, texture, pace, editing, acting, everything. The entire first 20 minutes of the film leading up to the scene in the kitchen is as impeccable a piece of film art as I've ever seen.

Anyone reasonably versed in literature could hardly fail to recognise that this is a re-working of 'Macbeth' and 'Therese Raquin' with the new background for the Tragedy of 30's Depression America. And this is a Tragedy in the Aristotelian or literary sense, but it is not so much a tragedy of particular individuals, we feel, as a tragedy, somehow, of humanity in general. Well actually I think I know a little of how that 'somehow' works: it's down to that sex scene in the kitchen and its sheer human/godlike mixture of weakness/grandeur which achieves the sort of grand pathos, or human sublime, that 'Gladiator' aims for in the early battle scene and it's slow motion 'musical conclusion' (I mention Gladiator because EVERYBODY will know the sequence I refer to and not because it's particularly admirable or distinguished). That scene, I mean the one with Lange and Nicholson, lingers with us for the rest of the film as they go through the all too fallible and human consequences of that experience.
The film still leaves me with a bad taste in the mouth but I now accept that as part of the truth of this film. Now it leaves me slightly perplexed as to how to place this film in my personal scheme of things.

Perhaps I should mention that this DVD is an old release and not in a wide-screen ratio and so cannot be seen in its full integrity. Resolution suffers of course when watched in wide screen zoom mode. Buy it anyway. Prove that your good taste needed to be at least partially satisfied with what is available for the time being.
See it in its full ratio and in it's full vividness and intensity on BluRay.

3.0 out of 5 stars You can't do a Film Noir in colour, 30 July 2001
By A Customer
At the time of its release this film attracted considerable notoriety for its explicit sex-on-the-kitchen table scene. Apart from that, this is a pretty unmemorable film, although it's hard to fault the performances of either Jack Nicholson or Jessica Lange. You could put it down to a lack of 'chemistry' between the two stars, but in my opinion it's simply that a story such as this deserves to be told in moody black-and-white.
In the early 1980's there was a minor Hollywood craze for remaking classic 'film noir' movies from the late 1940's. This film (like 'Cat People', whch came out at about the same time) was not a bad film, but its main achievement was to remind everyone how good the original film was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Modern take - old idea, 7 Mar 2010
Christopher Vowles (Shropshire) - See all my reviews
This is one of the great Jack Nicholson's lesser known movies - at least in the UK. Which might explain why it's not available in this country on DVD. Some might question the need for this remake of the 1946 classic starring Lana Turner and John Garfield. But it works for me. The nature of the couple's passion is more explicit. This version was seen as boundary-pushing in 1981 for its sex scene. Nicholson is almost perfect as the huckstering drifter who actually falls in love.

Just one frustration: it makes the same plot errors as the original in the treatment of the first murder attempt on Nick, where, no matter how often I view both versions, I can't make out exactly what the plan was for getting away with it.

But this is a seriously good movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelming, 28 Feb 2004
Joseph Haschka (Glendale, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE (1981) serves as a cautionary lesson to anyone who's considering renting or buying a film on the strength of its starring leads, and then proceeds to plunk down pounds after asking the rhetorical question, "With that cast, how bad can it be?"
Jack Nicholson is drifter Frank Chambers, who washes up in a rural roadhouse run by Nick Papadakis (John Colicos) and his too young (for him) wife, Cora (Jessica Lange). The time is the 1930s, and the place somewhere in the coastal mountains between Los Angeles and San Francisco. After Chambers is employed by Nick as a mechanic in the outpost's garage, Frank and Cora soon ignite a spark of mutual lust that eventually spreads into a conflagration of betrayal, attempted murder, murder, violent sex, insurance company venality, blackmail, and bad driving.
There's a good story here somewhere, so how did it go so badly wrong? Most damaging, there's no likable character for the audience to champion. Nicholson's character is as sleazy and vicious as any role he's ever done. Cora, married to an unsuitable older man for reasons we never learn, initially gains some audience compassion, perhaps. But then, after she demonstrates a cold-bloodedness worthy even of Frank, I ceased sympathizing with the character. Of the lot, only Nick is blameless, but he's such an old fool that it's hard to care.
The supporting cast is no better. The award for Worst Performance In A Negligible Role (Female) has to go to Anjelica Huston as Madge, a lion tamer and manager of a traveling wild cat show, who sports a goofy accent and hairdo worthy of Natasha (of "Boris and Natasha" on the old Bullwinkle TV series). The same award for a male actor is due William Traylor as Sackett, the Los Angeles DA out to nail our heroic couple.
There are only three reasons to view this film. First, if you're a diehard Nicholson fan. I'm not. Second, if you're a diehard Lange fan. I am. But, while she's undeniably gorgeous and indulges in tempestuous sex that would make my Mom blush and fuels my personal fantasies, prurient interest isn't enough to carry the day. Lastly, the scenery surrounding the roadhouse is beautifully pastoral.
I haven't seen the 1946 release of THE POSTMAN ALWAYS RINGS TWICE, nor do I intend to because Jessica isn't in it. This 1981 version is over-acted, over-scripted, under-edited, and implausible. It's just silly in a lurid sort of way.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Postman Always Rings Twice, 27 Feb 2013
This was a present for my son-in-law's Mother - she lives in Germany. She couldn't buy it in Germany so through Amazon I was able to have it delivered here and I took it out to her. She was 'over the moon' with the DVD and the picture was excellent and it was in English, which she understands and speaks.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT FILM, 6 Jan 2013
THIS MOVIE HAS STOOD THE TEST OF TIME,ADDED TO MY COLLECTION ,ONLY THING I DON'T LIKE IN THIS FILM,- NO ONE GAVE A CARED A TOSS ABOUT THE FATE OF THE GINGER CAT IN THE ACTED ROLE.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great film - just one question..., 20 Dec 2011
... the delightful talents of Jack Nicholson and Jessica Lange make this an essential own, so why is not available on Region 2?

Postman Always Rings Twice [Blu-ray] [1981] [US Import]