5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for 2013!
Published 20 months ago by Edger, Belfast

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing
Published 23 months ago by Geoffrey J. Hodgson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for 2013!, 2 Jan 2013
If you are looking for a book that cuts out the waffle and gets right down to actions then this is the one for you. I bought it after reading FLIP IT and would recommend it to anyone. It is a clear presentation of all the things you need to hear if you are trying to find a way to motivate yourself and focus your efforts. Definitely one to take out again and again and re-enforce the messages. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

4.0 out of 5 stars A range of views, 3 Oct 2012
Stephen Green (Uttoxeter, Staffs. UK) - See all my reviews
Anybody considering buying this book must be very purplexed by the huge variance of ratings marks awarded. I will try to make some sense of it for you the book buyer. Remember folks it is not a popularity contest for Authors. This is about the people who spend their hard earned money, commit their time to reading the book and endure the sniggers of people who look at what you are reading. Like other reviewers of this book, I have read some of Michael Heppel's previous books and have reviewed them. I have over the years written a substantial number of reviews focussing in particular on personal achievement. In this capacity, I am trying to widen the choice of readers beyond top selling and latest books. I am hoping what you want is real world results, rather than to just be reading the book everybody else is reading.

Firstly I want to address the issue of the negative vote. The vote is about whether the review is helpful, not whether you agree with the sentiments shared. Can I instead encourage you to engage in discussion with the reviewers. I have now done so to get the ball rolling. Personally I think that if you give one or two stars as a review for what I regard as arguably his best book then that is a harsh mark. Equally, a top mark may need justification as this book has the best presentation rather than the best content. Is my view right? No, it is just my view and sometimes one authors style just connects with some but not with others. What influences me may leave you cold. However, all of the people who have predated my review have genuinely bought the book and have given their own perspective freely and like me read over 300 pages at every available moment to provide a different view.

It is very interesting that I found Flip it to be a bit lightweight (it is half the size as well) and this book, The Edge, to be very usable and memorable. Others drew the reverse conclusion. I also found it interesting that whereas some books have very powerful endorsements from successful people and respected authors, this book has a quote from Chris Evans referring to the previous book and Davina McCall, who the author acknowledges is a friend, saying "Michael is brilliant". No indication that anybody of note had actually read the book before commenting on the book cover.

I am sure that Michael is a masterful communicator and writes on some important subjects, which he introduces at "entry level" to be accessible to a wide audience which is laudable. I have very definately taken changes from this book that I want to make. I won't detail them because I would encourage you to find your own. He highlights 20 areas in which "Edgers" are doing things that others tend not to do. Some of them are subtle and seemingly unimportant, so I appreciated knowing about them. Stephen Covey is much more comprehensive but how many people have ploughed through that one, apart from captains of industry? The Deal or no deal chapter about decision making and risk was also a good analysis. The piece about asking great questions was Heppell at his best as they are examples of really powerful questions. Overall a lot of ground was covered in this book. The author is totally unafraid to confess his own weaknesses and blind spots and he included things he was told by Edgers that he does not himself follow or understand which means that he was writing from a position of being willing to keep learning. I must admit that I am often uncomfortable with the critical part of my reviews but I believe this is an author and presenter who is constantly looking for ways to get better.

The fact that you have read my review after reading a selection of other people's reviews, shows that you have some serious intent. I regard this book as having merit in that it is back to basics for those that are well read and a gateway to further reading for others. When you compare the pain and injury and suffering Olympic athletes go through for many years for a slim chance that they, amongst a planet full of people, have to win gold, if I suggested that by reading just one self improvement book per month you would have a significantly more fulfilled and enhanced life would you take that opportunity?

Here under a few product suggestions that will combine well with this book:
The Compound Effect Combo - 6 CDS & BOOK
How to Do Everything and be Happy: Your Easy-peasy Guide to Creating Happiness
The 60 Second Self-Starter: Sixty Solid Techniques for Motivating Yourself at Work
100 Ways To Motivate Yourself: Change Your Life Forever
The Success Principles: How to get from where you are to where you want to be
Stop Talking, Start Doing: A Kick in the Pants in Six Parts
S.U.M.O. (Shut Up, Move On): The Straight-Talking Guide to Creating and Enjoying a Brilliant Life

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Oct 2012
Regrettably I have to disagree with other reviewers in this instance. I have been a fan of Michael for some time and indeed his other publication 'Flip it' was a stroke of genius, not because of its literary prowess but because it just encapsulated the sheer importance of looking on the bright side (a textural version of Monty Python's 'Always look on the Bright Side of Life' !).
The Edge, I believe has lost its way. What is it supposed to be, who is it aimed at? The research is in my opinion rock bottom with only a few anecdotes about successful people. The problem for Michael is that he is up against some really talented authors who have done serious research into their topics, e.g. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell, Switch: How to change things when change is hard by Chip Heath & Dan Heath and 59 Seconds: Think a little, change a lot by Professor Richard Wiseman just to name a few and if you are keen on understanding more on 'Mindset' which Michael alluded to consider Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. All these authors are true experts in there field or have the ability to reference the experts in a readable and meaningful way. I think Michael is out out of his depth and hasn't undertaken much if any serious research to back up his claims. True 'Edgers' do a huge amount of research of whatever format to achieve success, something which Michael needs to take note of. I would have to say to anyone reading this review is that 'The Edge' is an extremely light touch, lacking serious content. If your a fan of Michael Heppell you will no doubt buy it as I did but its not his greatest work and as already mentioned the competition is extremely talented and much more readable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Over The Edge, 2 Oct 2012
As a purchaser of Flip It, I looked forward to getting my hands on this book, (albeit in digital form). Three glowing reviews convinced me that it was worth parting with hard earned cash for the insights within. The chapter titles sounded intriguing.

Yet, apart from the chapter entitled 'Asking Great Questions', I didn't really get much from the book. Perhaps, I've already read too much of the advice from other sources? As another reviewer has stated, I'm not sure who the book is aimed at. There are 32 chapters, but they lack depth; I would have preferred 5 to 7 chapters of memorable tips.

After reading, and occasionally referring to Flip It, I regrettably didn't take much away from this one. Don't let this put you off if you're reasonably new to this genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Close to The Edge, 17 Sep 2012
Let me start by saying, I own and have read all of Michael's books, each of them well researched, well written and all in Michael's unique style and containing a good smattering of Northern straight talking and humour.

I have read several books on the way success leaves clues and 'The Edge how the best get better', is the clearest, most concise guide I've ever read on the subject.

The Edge: How the Best Get Better is one of those books that I know will be well thumbed as I find myself coming back to it time after time. Through the book, Michael has already challenged me to question how I approach/view certain things and I found the section on Asking Great Questions particularly helpful.

When you read it, I'm sure you'll find as I have done, that you are constantly checking to see what you're already doing and perhaps more pertinently, what you're not.

As ever with Michael's work, he makes no apology for challenging your thinking and crucially for reminding his readers that knowledge is wonderful but without action, it's wasted.

In my view, this is the best of Michael's work to date. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gift, 29 Dec 2013
Given as a gift to enlighten, encourage, and to handle what may occur, what is really out there when you start the search for a journey.
Not sure of reaction of recipients as never discussed ofter gift was given. Pretty sure it will have had some significance though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Energizing, 10 Nov 2013
I do recomment it as it give you the boost to go ahead with achieving your goals while having fun doing that

4.0 out of 5 stars The Edge, 18 Dec 2012
The Edge How the Best Get Better Bought for my son and he thinks it is very interesting and Useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars thank you!, 16 Dec 2012
It's not often you can say a book helped you change your life but after reading 'Flip It' I can honestly say it helped me so much. I eagerly waited for 'The Edge' and was not disappointed. This book has really focused me to gain the edge. Thank you Michael!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Edge - 5* delivery from Michael Heppell, 13 Oct 2012
This review is from: The Edge: How the Best Get Better (Kindle Edition)
I've just completed the Edge by Michael Heppell. The basic premise of the `Edge' is that the author has pulled together the traits, behaviors and perhaps most importantly actions from a variety of successful individuals. What success is the book leaves open - it depends on the individual and circumstances. The result is an entertaining and motivating read. Of course in typical Heppell style he consistently encourages the reader to explore and experiment with the content in a desire to discover your own Edge.

The book is well organised so that you can read it cover to cover or use it in reference mode if you wanted to brush up or understand a particular subject. For example there's a great chapter on the type of questions the `Edger' will use to understand or make sense of a given situation. The list of 30 questions described in the book is also available from the Michael Heppell website for download if you wanted to get a feel.

There's a mix of individuals from a variety of spheres - for example: sport, business, government and entertainment. The author himself uses his own life and experiences too. The subject of living values is a good example of this where Michael draws upon an event in his childhood to bring home the point about using personal values in order to make decisions in life. This particular story leaves the reader in no doubt what it must have been like to live through the situation described.

The writing style is very conversational and accessible. The points being made are often explained through the use of metaphor (something the Edger does on a regular basis to bring things alive). If you're familiar with the authors other work then you are likely to recognise some of the things being described. This didn't detract from the book which I enjoyed and in the spirit of the `it's not in the knowing but the doing' there's certainly elements in the content that I'll be exploring with further.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›