4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Reference Book
Published on 12 Nov. 2012 by Mr. D. W. Potter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good
Very average some notable missing footballers not really recommended.
Wouldn't recommend buying it very poor not one of Ivan"s best
Published 13 months ago by Amazon Customer

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Reference Book, 12 Nov. 2012
Mr. D. W. Potter (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Ivan Ponting is a great writer. Of that there is little doubt, and this book proves it. Many great footballers are here described - some of whom, I'm ashamed to say, I had no great detailed knowledge of. Other players who adorned my childhood from the pages of comics and cards like Derek Tapscott of Arsenal and Wales died in 2008 and Johnnie Atyeo of Bristol City in 1993, without me noticing. Jimmy Scoular, a hero of my beloved Newcastle, was always bawling at team mates and referees. Yes, I knew that!
There are a few surprising omissions, at least to my Scottish eyes - Jimmy Johnstone, Bobby Murdoch, Jim Baxter are not mentioned.Pity! And there is one major fault in the lay-out in that the players are presented chronologically ie from the dates of their death. It would surely have been a lot better, at least for potential researchers and enquirers, to do it alphabetically. For no great obvious reason George Best comes first and is done out of chronological order. Yet George's travails are detailed with such pathos and gratitude that one cannot help appreciate the effect that the wayward Irishman had on Manchester United fans like Mr Ponting.
There are so many good things about the book. Walter Winterbottom was a wing commander in the RAF; Johnny Haynes had a dry-cleaning business in Edinburgh (Mr Ponting might also have mentioned that he became a keen Hearts' supporter); Jack Kelsey made dolls' houses as a hobby in later life. I did not know these things. This book will certainly be an asset to my bookshelf, but it is a book that I will dip into, (possibly about once a day!) rather than read from end to end.

4.0 out of 5 stars A priceless addition to one's bookshelf!, 25 Jan. 2010
Strangerbird (United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
The 'Product Description' above, summarises so accurately the book's value that there is little one can add. It is refreshingly a work about football written by a scholar, but not one who has lived in an ivory tower. I've no doubt Ivan Ponting grew up with the game long before the sanitized days of satellite TV, and all-seater stadia, knowing what it was to stand and sway with the crowd in all weathers on a terrace, the fug of Woodbine smoke in his nostrils, and working-man's banter all around him. But the obituaries do not confine themselves to football matters alone. Ponting has so much else to say about these icons of sport. It was, for example, a revelation to me that Ron Ashman, my Norwich City hero of the 1950s, was 'a man of strong religious convictions'. Ponting loves his characters as much as he loves the game. His could remain the definitive work of reference for generations to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars dead good, 14 Jun. 2009
Ewing Grahame - See all my reviews
This is a beautifully written book by someone with a real feel for the romance of football. Ivan Ponting understands why George Best was loved and why Cristiano Ronaldo will never be.
His descriptions of the careers of players (even the ones you will not have seen even on grimy Pathe newsreels) paint a vivid picture. Ponting does his subjects a great service and any football supporter would enjoy this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Of Football Greats, 15 Mar. 2013
This review is from: The Book of Football Obituaries (Kindle Edition)
Though the title might suggest a time for mourning, this is a fantastic book celebrating the achievements of the 446 individuals who earned the special mantle for being our greatest footballing heroes, but sadly are no longer with us. Ivan's book keeps the memory well and truly alive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Hundred and Forty-Six Reasons to Buy This Book, 18 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Book of Football Obituaries (Kindle Edition)
Ivan Ponting's collection of obituaries quickly became one of my all-time favourite football books. They are very readable, and each one describes that moment in history that was once the lifetime of someone who left his mark on the game. They are both informative and entertaining, and Ivan has been carefully crafting these stories since the death of Cliff Bastin in 1991. This volume concludes with the story of Eddy Brown, who died in July 2012. I don't remember Eddy, but now I wish I had seen this eccentric forward who was such a prolific scorer of goals. It is definitely a book to dip into, rather than read in chronological order. I started with some of the game's more flamboyent characters, such as Brian Clough and Emlyn Hughes, but then I discovered the stories of men who were less well-known to me, but who were star names for earlier generations. With two hundred and forty-six to choose from, I haven't yet dipped into every single one, but I haven't been disappointed so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband loves the book!, 11 Mar. 2013
I bought this as a little gift for my husband and he reads it every day in morsels. He is passionate about football anyway, but this book is excellent in size and quality. You won't be disappointed if you buy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not very good, 4 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Book of Football Obituaries (Kindle Edition)
Very average some notable missing footballers not really recommended.
Wouldn't recommend buying it very poor not one of Ivan"s best

5.0 out of 5 stars Veteran football fan's delight., 6 Dec. 2013
M. Smith "booksmith" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
Well written and researched obits by well known soccer scribe James Lawton, this book covers a period of ten years. It will contain many surprises, telling us what these former heroes did after hanging up their boots. A. Book for picking up again and again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best So Far, 17 May 2014
Mr. David Nettleton (Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England) - See all my reviews
An interesting and informative read if a little over-long. Shorter obits would be preferred. Even an avid far can learn something new about past heroes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book of Footballl Obituaries, 29 Nov. 2014
A well produced and finely illustrated book on a most memorable subject. Outstanding value.

The Book of Football Obituaries