4.0 out of 5 stars Sparkle Sparkle
Published 14 months ago by Mr Entropy

1.0 out of 5 stars Rugged.? Unfortunately not, overpriced?? Definitely yes
Published 15 months ago by aidan foley

4.0 out of 5 stars Sparkle Sparkle, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4i Rugged In Ear Headphone - Yellow (Electronics)
Look and Feel
To get the obvious out of the way, these are some of the most stylish headphones I’ve seen recently. The striking colour is refreshing amongst its black styled peers and that now hugely imitable red style. A bit more fluorescence would have been nice. The remote looks and feels excellent. I don’t know why efforts to have a remote are always only meeting Iphone requirements, maybe there is some patent hogging going on. But actually on the new android phones the play button will stop and start music, double tapping it will skip to the next track. Many reviews say how heavy the remote unit is, but there is a clip supplied for the wire which alleviates this issue.

The other major qualm about the S4 range is the durability, these have a reputation for not lasting too long. My previous pair of the original S4s lasted for one year though. I bought these not expecting them to last in a way, and the rugged part of the name doesn’t necessarily mean the wire connections are more sturdy, just that the seams are fairly protected against maybe water intrusion.

I have found the fit with the supplied tips to be not quite right, either too small or two big, I am more inclined to blame my ears, though another size would have been welcome. The ear pieces have very small needle like outputs, unlike all the other brand headphones, so prevents you using a previous pair of correctly fitting tips.

Sound
My headphone credentials are: creative ep630, vmoda vibe, Klipsch s4, Beats, MeElectronics sp131, and ME Electronics Mduo. Relative to all of those bar the previous klipsch S4 set, these are much more orientated around the treble and middle range of the spectrum, and it does them very well indeed. It has great speed and response to the player signals, hence giving that sense of ‘HD’. To expand on the classic line in reviews of hearing sounds one has never heard before, I think the thing I started to notice again was being almost able to hear the texture of the instruments being played, such as fingers wiping across guitar strings. I have generally veered towards a bassier line in my previous purchases, the s4s are certainly not going to feed that gecko tongue punch in the eardrum that other sets can, Of course the bass can be heard, just not felt. Hence it is much more suited to certain types of music with detailed production or instrument focussed

Overall
Bass isn’t to everyone’s tastes, sometimes I want it more than any other part of the spectrum, at other times I primarily want the detail and the crunch of instruments to be heard, so my solution has been to have multiple earphones in use, as I haven’t wanted to spend above £100 on a pair. This pair excellently covers the upper range and does an ok job at the low range. Knowing that and the acknowledging the historic durability risks, there will be nothing else in this pair that could disappoint you, I will enjoy what time I have with them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality, tough ear phones., 2 Dec. 2013
Pros:
Good sound, quite neutral
Very good sound isolation; very little leakage and the seal keeps out background noise, especially the deep tips.
Easy to use remote.
Solid feeling contruction.
Cons:
Volume controls are ipod only.
Remote can pull on earphones, also hangs low, mic use requires a hand to lift it to one's mouth.
The deep tips can be uncomfortable at first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant headphones. Better than sound cancelling headphones at 4 times the price., 27 Dec. 2014
I've written a previous review on these. They are great, but slightly fragile. They last a year, but they have a life saving 2 yr warranty! They last a year of heavy use of cycling, running, skiing, and the remote buttons are brilliant for gloves. Remote is a little heavy, and the retaining clip is useless, but once you learn a way of securing it, it's great.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rugged.? Unfortunately not, overpriced?? Definitely yes, 17 Dec. 2013
Based in Ireland but living in remote africa I purchased a pair of klipsch headphones prior to my departure on a 12 month contract 1 year ago. I first purchased the s5i rugged headphones, initially I found them excellent, loved the sound, weight, comfort etc and used them regularly (2-3 times per week) for cycling, hiking etc unfortunately after three months the sound went in one ear phone. Thinking that perhaps it was a once off product failure (given the extremely high price and consistently positive reviews) and as I was unable to return them for repair (living in a country with no post service to speak of) I took the risk and ordered a second pair sending them to a colleague in the uk who was coming out to visit my work site.,, this time I opted for the s4i. Again the sound etc was great however after 4 months of moderate usage one earphone packed up again. I think the problem is with the headphone plug, as if you manipulate the cable at the plug end sound returns but goes again if you let go. This should be rectified by klipsch, it is entirely unacceptable to charge extortionate prices for a defective product that breaks after mild use - never mind the cheek to call it "rugged"....

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, 11 Oct. 2014
The best in-ear earphones I've found, really great music sound but may be slightly large for some ears