1,055 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive! Electrifying and beautiful suit!
Published 9 months ago by TOOTS

3.0 out of 5 stars Great special effects but poor 3D.
A decent film with plenty of action and some superb special effects but the 3D is very disappointing .
Published 9 months ago by David Clixby

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive! Electrifying and beautiful suit!, 10 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD] (DVD)
I can only really review what I have seen in this film. Whether other people think there are avenues that were not opened up is irrelevant I think... So ..., from what I've seen, this film deserves 5 stars because we finally see Superman express himself in an angry state, something that's never really been done properly before. Christopher Reeve, bless him, you have to admire him for the gentle nature he gave his character and those films also have to be admired. It's good to see this side of Superman, whoever you are, you're bound to get angry if someone poses a threat to your mother, it was a quite a nice surprise to see that happen. The only thing that I think wasn't necessary, was the kiss between Superman and Lois. Traditionally, we get to explore Clark and the kiss comes later, so that felt a little out of place. Overall, I'd happily watch this again! The suit by the way is epic! Superman actually looks like a man, natural but different in his own way, this is evidenced by the upper chest hair you see momentarily when you get a close-up of the big guy!

5.0 out of 5 stars I liked it, will you?, 16 Sept. 2014
Positives:
1) This movie is the most realistic version to date. I do love the Reeves ones, but they are too comical and just not "realistic").

2) It explains pretty much everything as it goes along, so you don't have too many questions (there will always be some). But it explains things such as what's going on over on Krypton, why Superman is like he is on Earth and why they choose to send him to Earth. They also explain how he gets his costume and they actually take the time to fit it in nicely with the real "Krypton world".

3) It shows Supes struggling to be accepted into the normal world, and struggling to stay in one place because of his powers. It shows him being worried about being accepted, and it takes you through the journey (albeit through many flash backs) from him as a child, struggling in school, to becoming a hero as superman.

4) Great story. Well written dialogue, and nice CGI too. The movie is long, but for me if didn't "feel" long as I was gripped to the story.

Biggest flaws for me:
1) Lois pops up everywhere, and knows far too much (she needs her memory wiped!).
2) Too many people know about him growing up.

Now I don't see this one as a flaw, but many do: There's quite a lot of destruction in the last hour, but I think it's justified since they are "like" gods, so they would pretty much destroy anything in their path on Earth.

Also, I don't see this as a flaw either, just more of me just being picky.... Flash Backs... The first half of the movie is full of them. It's fine since they work well, but It would have worked well if they just played it all in sequence, but I guess with flash backs it allowed them to "jump around" a bit in his time line. So it's all good.

OVERALL: Buy it! Get it "used" if you want, I did, it'll be cheap. If you don't like it, sell it on, or pack it away in a dark corner of your attic. But it's worth a watch... unless you're a die hard comic fan can't look past some flaws.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, A Man Does Fly - BLU RAY Review, 22 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I often think that the 'airplane catch' in Superman Returns is easily one of the best 'Superhero' moments on any film of the genre. But the rest of the film just felt like watching treacle WAITING for something to ACTUALLY happen.

The old Christopher Reeve movies simply suffer now from the old style effects, the simple fact that they have dated quickly, as well as the 'Roger Moore' type degeneration into gags and basic daftness. Still a terrific 'Helicopter Catch'!

So I had bought this, then kept it on the shelf a while, just doubting how I was bound to be disappointed, but after the first ten minutes it just gets you by the scruff of the neck and keeps going. It answers so many questions that the other films just skirted. You understand why Superman struggles with anything to do with Krypton (although Kryptonite actually never makes an appearance), you know why the villians were exiled.............no more spoilers.

Such a treat with Russell Crowe and Costner playing the two dads, Diane Lane as his Earth mom, and Cavill makes a great Superman - I thought Brandon Routh was good, just he was held back by a slow moving story.

In this I have read the reviews about the CGI going mad, I thought it was well played. When you see Superman take a punch and fly through five or six buildings, it is like you always wanted it to be. Not going to say anymore, just watch it without the spoilers.

Good picture on Blu Ray, but what is astonishing is the score by Hans Zimmer. Yes, you want the John Williams theme, but you ain't going to get it but Zimmer gives a resounding soundtrack that never really needs a theme. One of the first soundtracks I have ever had on Blu Ray that really pounds around a 5.1 system.

Loved it, looking forward to Batman Vs Superman and then the Justice League.

You will believe.................

5.0 out of 5 stars Goosebumps movie and soundtrack!, 2 Mar. 2015
C. Oedayrajsingh-varma "Carlos" (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD] (DVD)
First I must warn you! I bought this film and have been watching it ever since for nearly 80 times (and I plan on watching it more!!!), I am hooked!
It is the best film of the Superman series I have ever seen! Accompanied by music that gives me goosebumps every time I hear it.
To be honest the first time I saw the movie I was not impressed. It was too much like watching video clips. But then my mind connected the parts to form an overwhelming and impressing movie! I have been watching it in a different order in my mind and saw what this director wanted to express in this movie. "NOT EVERY STRANGER IS A THREAT"! And most of all I loved the part where the soldiers have there guns pointed at Cal El, and the colonel says "This man is not our enemy".
A definite five star rating! And if you buy the movie I urge you to also buy the soundtrack!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loise Lane the Flash in disguise., 19 Jan. 2015
DC is fighting back!
Fantastic movie form start to almost end!
what i mean by almost end! is the fact that Lois Lane shows up! when she was miles away watching Supes and Zod slug it out and both fell to earth like a meteor and the fight ended very quickly! and somehow??? LOIS LANE !!!! Shows up!!!
she must be the Flash in disguise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great special effects but poor 3D., 16 Aug. 2014
David Clixby (england) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BEST SUPERMAN EVER, 25 May 2015
Before I start my review I would just like say this steelbook looks brilliant, and for a steelbook collector this looks great in your collection. Now for the film, this film is just awesome, I can not believe how good this film was, I have seen many films in my life including all the other superman films, but this film just blew me away, i just thought it was just wonderful and so gripping up to a point I think this is the best superman film ever made, don't get me wrong I love all the superman films but this just edges it for me.

Oh the 3D is ok, and the 3D depth looks quality but as per normal there is nothing popping of of your screen, but then again the picture quality and sound is truly amazing, and the 5.1 surround sound is up there with Saving Private Ryan.

5.0 out of 5 stars US import, 3 Sept. 2014
This version contains 2 blu ray discs and a dvd. The first blu ray and the dvd contain the movie and extras the second blu ray contains the film in maximum movie mode!! This basically means the film plays in the background while actors,crew or the director pop up during the film and talk about certain aspects of the movie that relate to that scene!!! It is full of really fascinating triva and behind the scenes info it also shows behind the scenes footage and a chat with Hans Zimmer...

I actually recommend the US version over the UK as you get this rather fantastic extra and it's on its own disc!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars "Nice Suit, Son.", 23 May 2015
Mark Baker - Carstairs Considers (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free] (Blu-ray)
I have always loved the character of Superman, so when I found out about Man of Steel, I began to get excited to see it. I had hoped it would be the start of a great new movie franchise around this character. Unfortunately, the result didn't live up to my hopes.

The movie opens on Krypton. It is a planet doomed to die thanks to the way it has been abused by its citizens. In the midst of this, Jor-El (Russell Crowe) sends his son to Earth. And General Zod (Michael Shannon) tries to lead a revolt only to be sentenced to the Phantom Zone.

Fast forward 33 years, and we begin to follow Clark Kent (Henry Cavill) as he wanders from one job to another. When he is on an army base in the frozen north, he encounters Lois Lane (Amy Adams), a reporter who is there to cover a weird something that has been found in the ice. But as Clark begins to discover who he really is, his past from Krypton catches up to him. What will that mean for the citizens of Earth?

I had heard before going to see the movie that the problem was the lack of character development. Unfortunately, that critic got it right. We never truly get to know any of these characters, something that makes it hard to care in the climatic battle. In fact, by the time it came, I was bored and ready for the movie to be over.

Now I'm not going to fault the actors. They all did a great job with the material they had. In fact, I was a little worried going into the film that Amy Adams wouldn't work for me as Lois Lane, but she did great. (Don't know why I doubted; she's a great actress.) There wasn't a false note in the bunch.

The problem is the movie emphasizes special effects over anything and everything else. We rush to get to any scene where the effects can be used, and then we slow down to enjoy them. And let me tell you, the fights? Long and repetitive. There's enough property destruction to fill several movies, and I avoid property destruction movies. But that's not what I was going to the film to see. I wanted more with the characters.

And really, if I don't care for anyone in the film, the stakes can be raised to the sky, and I won't care. Oh wait, they were. And I didn't.

For a movie to be this focused on special effects, you'd expect them to be awesome, right? I hate to break it to you, but there were a few times I could tell they were special effects. Most of the time they were great, but they certainly weren't perfect.

While I am mainly ragging on the film, that's because it leaves you with the second half. The first half, which introduces the characters and gives us Clark's origin story is actually interesting. If they had kept that pace and developed the characters more, I would have enjoyed the entire thing. Ironic since I something complain about how formulaic the origin story can be.

Man of Steel is another case of effects over character, and that never ends well. Unfortunately, that happens again here. Hopefully, they will remember to give us good characters if there is a sequel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 11 May 2015
SuziB - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Man of Steel [DVD] (DVD)
As a small child I was told that I (along with my little brother) was going to go to the cinema to see "Superman"! I waited a whole week with excitable anticipation typical of any 7 year old & was truly fit to burst by the time Saturday came. I cannot even begin to describe the disappointment with which I left the cinema a few short hours later. Having never before encountered the concept of "Superman" my 7 year old brain in that week long wait had conjured up a man, that quite frankly, was indeed SUPER!!! Handsome, POWERFUL, awesome, worthy of the name "Super-man"! What my innocent 7 year old eyes saw however was a slightly slimy looking, middle aged, ugly man who, albeit endowed with muscle, didn't seem particularly strong or POWERFUL, more a funny shape, in his Mums leotard & tights! The story wasn't much better & whilst my brother was happy to sit through the seemingly never ending sequels that followed, I considered it a strange & unusual punishment & ended up just hating Superman! In my mind, for the next 37 years Superman was quite literally rubbish! My son convinced me to buy this & it was with almost total regret that I pushed the little button that says "play". Why oh why oh why wasn't this the film I was taken to see when I was 7?? This IS what Superman should have always been! Hansome, likeable, strong, sexy & oh most definitely POWERFUL! When this Superman picks up a car you believe it. This Superman could probably play basketball with the planet Earth & still save 50 orphans before breakfast! This Superman I BELIEVE! The story was awesome & Henry Cavill is utterly brilliant as the likeable Clark & loveable Superman. With an outfit that does indeed look worthy of any hero (& not a bit like he's been in his Mums knicker drawer!) CGI has done what the blue screen never could & created a Super Hero that performs feats wholly deserving of the name & finally, in absolute truth, I cannot wait for the sequel.

Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Man of Steel [Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free] by Zack Snyder (Blu-ray - 2013)