4.1 out of 5 stars1,418
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 April 2016
This is a thoroughly enjoyable super-hero film.

I originally watched it at the cinema (in 3D), and subsequently on Blu-ray (both 2D and 3D). The Blu-ray quality is fantastic (excellent audio and picture). While the 3D version is fun, it doesn't add a great deal. So when I choose to re-watch this film, I opt for the 2D version.

This is a re-boot of the Superman franchise, following the less than financially successful 'Superman Returns' (2006) film. While I enjoyed the 2006 film, which sought in various ways to fit-in with the Christopher Reeve's film-series, I thought that this 2013 movie was superior.

This film seeks to tell the story of Superman's origins ... starting with the destruction of the planet Krypton, the orphaned baby Kal-El arriving on Earth and being raised by the Kent's in Smallville, and Clark Kent's transformation into the Man of Steel. All of this has been done before - both in film and in TV series. So it's difficult to add something fresh and imaginative. Yet the film succeeds in this regard. Rather than draw on the earlier movies (or the TV series), this film is inspired by the wealth of comic books that comprise the 70+ year history of Superman. The 'origin story' has been depicted several times in the comic books, and this film borrows from many of these. In addition, it offers new elements - especially in terms of the 'look' of Krypton, of the various space ships, etc.

The story focuses on Clark Kent, and how he's forced to become a super-hero. While he's been a 'good guy' (saving people), he's never adopted a public persona as a known hero. That is, until General Zod (and a gang of criminals previously imprisoned in the Phantom Zone by Krypton's judicial system) arrives at planet Earth and demands to see Kal-El. The General is a nasty piece of work (just as he was in 'Superman 2'), and decides to re-design the Earth into a new Krypton! And so Clark must save the world ... he becomes Superman, and battles the villainous Kryptonian criminals.

There's mayhem and destruction ... but just enough opportunity for Superman to gain a love interest, in reporter Lois Lane. The great city of Metropolis is ruined, and - finally - it's a battle to the death between Superman and Zod. This all happens as the world watches in awe and fright. Fortunately, Superman is victorious.

This film serves as a starting point for the wider DC movie universe. The first cross-over film is 'Batman Vs Superman: Dawn of Justice' (2016) ... which will, eventually, lead into the Justice League saga. This initial installment is a serious tale, offering a complex Man of Steel. He struggles to accept his 'destiny' as Superman, although he knows it's the right thing to do. This is a super-hero who has such vast abilities - powers he himself is unaware of until he chooses to use them - that he's almost utterly separate and distinct from all other people. Yet he wants to live a normal life. He struggles with inner-demons, with the loss of his home world, and with the death of his adoptive father. But he succeeds in overcoming these, for the good of humankind.

The movie is superbly directed by Zack Snyder. Yet it's not his best work (both '300' and 'Watchmen' are superior). I get the impression that he's not had complete freedom to direct, and was operating within parameters set by Nolan (producer; direct of the 'Dark Knight' trilogy). In my view, Snyder is a superior film-maker as compared to Nolan, and I wish the latter had not been involved.

The acting is done well. I was particularly impressed by Henry Cavill, who not only looks the part (and is more in-keeping with the comic book depiction of Superman than any previous film incarnation), but he portrays the tragic aspects of the Man of Steel excellently. In addition to Cavill, I thought Amy Adams was perfect for the role of investigative reporter Lois Lane (brining both intelligence and beauty to the role). Finally, Zod was brilliantly played by Michael Shannon.

I was also impressed by the music - overall, an excellent sound track. It sought to establish itself in a distinct manner, totally separate from the earlier films. In my view, this music elevated the film to a higher level than might otherwise have been the case.

This is a movie I will re-watch every so often, as it's a good super-hero action film. Yet it's not perfect. I think that the Krypton scenes were rushed, and ought to have been extended. And I think Zod should have interacted more with the people of Earth, clearly establishing his dominance (and thereby creating more of a need for Superman). Nonetheless, it's a very good film. 8 out of 10.
on 26 February 2015
One way this film scores heavily is that it doesn't got overly bogged down in Superman's origin while still providing interesting background and motivation for his actions. It clearly draws less upon the original fun but simplistic comics and more on later meatier graphic novels. Superman may still stand for justice but in a world recognised to be riddled with injustice. Still not the most intellectually stimulating of movies, but arguably more than mere escapist entertainment.
on 12 January 2015
This is a great movie, it took it back to the original feel of Superman from years back, whilst making it fresh & New. The story, acting ( superman himself is and looked hot ladies!! ), & graphics used to bring it to the highest standard made this a very entertaining and rememberable
The actor playing superman couldn't have been more fitting for the role, he is just what after all these years and many spin off`s / versions I imagined he should be!
on 26 April 2016
SPOILER REVIEW!
Good:
. Henry Cavill suited the role of Superman very well
. The final fight between Zod and Superman was excellent to see and a visual spectacle
. The film did a really good job at humanizing the character of Superman whereas were use to him being a bit of a boy scout it ashowed him transitioning from Clark to Superman
. When his father died it made me cry as his father was just trying to do waht was best for him
. The opening scenes on Krypton were very interesting and showed the world off very well as to what state it was in
. Zod was a fantastic villiain. He had a very valid argument for what he was doing and if I was him in that same position I would have done the same thing. He was born from cells to be a miltary commander so that's all he knows
. Special effects were fantastic and done to a very high standard
. Story was very focused on this being Superman's origin story and didn't spend time setting up other Dc films which could have happened
. Acting all around was very good in my opinion. Everyone gave a good performance
. Really liked the music done by the wonderful Hans Zimmer in this film
Bad:
. When Clark stole clothes of a washing line it didn't fir the character at all but this is a minor gripe
Conclusion:
4.5/5
on 1 January 2016
Nice film and one for the kids (like me!) This is not a re-make of the Christopher Reeve Supermans' and the part played by Henry Cavill is outstanding. The special effects are excellent on my bluray tv and the depth of sound is well balanced ( unlike some films I have reviewed here), the base and treble are correct for the sound level and have been recorded correctly giving an overall pleasing effect. A well constructed storyline with more to follow I suspect!
on 25 May 2016
After what seemed hours I checked the clock and only 55 minutes had passed - the reverse is true when you are enjoying a film. I liked the Superman character a lot and had the film begun with the oil-rig scene and unfolded from there I may have enjoyed it but I am tired of being "spoon fed" information and being given lengthy preambles. Is someone telling me that I cannot deduce theme, character or personality from the more subtle moments. The actors in this film were all good enough to "tell me" a lot with just a glance but yet again I had to watch what seemed hours of backstory. There was a time when films left a lot out, assuming you would appreciate having to make an effort to keep up with what was going on. (Admittedly they probably couldn't afford to show the audience everything they initially thought was needed and so had to hope the actors could do this for them, but once they realized that a money-saving device actually made the film better they stuck to it). Not anymore. It is as if the studio are saying; "We have spent a lot money on this effect so you are going to watch it whether you like it or not". I don't just want a visual extravaganza - I want to do some work myself.
on 20 September 2015
Well done Top noch Film

Cast other than the Dads were wonderful the CGI is fantastic love the colour switch with perry the baddies were top[ and the mums are the stars in fact I actually like Lane now (Smallville shows the way) the female characters make it the lads are well squerjawed types all very good but its the women who move things along and I have feeling could provide the future story arcs
on 27 June 2016
Basically a remake of the wonderful the Christopher Reeve film way back when, but with the delight and charm taken out and the huge holes filled in with oozing dollops of CGI. The guy with the pecs like a pair of triggered airbags plays our hero with un-ironic woodeness; the romance between he and Lois has the chemistry of a cup of cold tea with about the only relief a little enjoyable ham from Kevin Costner as the boy in blue's father. It must be said it starts with a certain promise in the days of young superman that we are are going to get a nice retelling of the tale, but this is soon lost in the pounding 7 hour end sequence of buildings being smashed (Superman seems to have lost his concern for the little people - chucking the brick work about as enthusiastically as anyone) special forces' bullets bouncing of super baddies, warplanes blowing up and people smashing through walls again and again and again. As for the noise - I had to take my surround sound in for its 100 db service after this hammering.
Before I start my review I would just like say this steelbook looks brilliant, and for a steelbook collector this would look great in your collection. Now for the film, this film is just awesome, I can not believe how good this film was, I have seen many films in my life including all the other superman films, but this film just blew me away, i just thought it was just wonderful and so gripping up to a point I think this is the best superman film, don't get me wrong I love all the other superman films but this just edges it for me.

Oh the 3D is ok, and the 3D depth looks quality but as per normal there is nothing popping of of your screen, but then again the picture quality and sound is truly amazing, and the 5.1 surround sound is up there with Saving Private Ryan.
review image review image review image review image review image
on 28 December 2015
It one of the best re-telling of the Superman stories. I think most previous versions do not mention how hard it must have been for the young Clark to understand what he was seeing and doing without 'loosing it'. The rest will be spoilers, so I will leave it you to see the DVD yourself.