4.1 out of 5 stars1,417
Format: DVD|Change

on 19 May 2016
A re-take of the birth of Superman that holds its own against previous versions by conflating several strands that have previously been employed as individual themes for films.Man of Steel - Limited Edition Steelbook [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
on 28 September 2015
Okay don't get me wrong but even though I love the new direction of the movie it wasn't really comic book styled as it should have been but I do love the acting and the characterization of Lois Lane and Superman (really digging the suit) and the plot I really think its amazing for a superhero movie but I wanted to see a dual role of Superman and Clark Kent like as in Clark working at Daily Planet and defeating Zod (Michael Shannon by the way? OH MY GOD what a performance he played in the movie my favourite Zod)
Rather than just being Clark Kent becoming Superman and then surrendering to Zod and I wanted to see Kryptonite in the movie which was a bit of a disappointment but really enjoyed the movie one of the best Superman movies I've seen
on 3 September 2014
I really liked this film. I like the choices made with the charactors, i like the fact that the past is gone through in flashback and fits seamlessly into the narrative structure of the film. A couple of the scenes were spine tinglingly good, such as Zod announcing himself to the earth, and some of the flashbacks with child Clarke.
Henry Cavill is a very good Clark Kent/Superman and has the charisma to carry the role off for the next 10-15 yrs if needed. I felt that the action was over the top, however these are meta humans fighting and the level of destruction is probably in line with the powers that they have.
I am very excited to see this DC universe expanded in future films, and this provides a very solid base to work from.
on 25 March 2016
Heard lots of complaints from friends and family before watching this, but genuinely loved this film! Action-packed, with a great cast. May have enjoyed it so much because first Superman film I have watched, but would recommend!
on 16 September 2014
Positives:
1) This movie is the most realistic version to date. I do love the Reeves ones, but they are too comical and just not "realistic").

2) It explains pretty much everything as it goes along, so you don't have too many questions (there will always be some). But it explains things such as what's going on over on Krypton, why Superman is like he is on Earth and why they choose to send him to Earth. They also explain how he gets his costume and they actually take the time to fit it in nicely with the real "Krypton world".

3) It shows Supes struggling to be accepted into the normal world, and struggling to stay in one place because of his powers. It shows him being worried about being accepted, and it takes you through the journey (albeit through many flash backs) from him as a child, struggling in school, to becoming a hero as superman.

4) Great story. Well written dialogue, and nice CGI too. The movie is long, but for me if didn't "feel" long as I was gripped to the story.

Biggest flaws for me:
1) Lois pops up everywhere, and knows far too much (she needs her memory wiped!).
2) Too many people know about him growing up.

Now I don't see this one as a flaw, but many do: There's quite a lot of destruction in the last hour, but I think it's justified since they are "like" gods, so they would pretty much destroy anything in their path on Earth.

Also, I don't see this as a flaw either, just more of me just being picky.... Flash Backs... The first half of the movie is full of them. It's fine since they work well, but It would have worked well if they just played it all in sequence, but I guess with flash backs it allowed them to "jump around" a bit in his time line. So it's all good.

OVERALL: Buy it! Get it "used" if you want, I did, it'll be cheap. If you don't like it, sell it on, or pack it away in a dark corner of your attic. But it's worth a watch... unless you're a die hard comic fan can't look past some flaws.
on 17 September 2014
I mis-read & thought is was part of the Amazon view now film titles. I am so glad I purchased. I have recently bought a large HD flat screen TV & this was my first 'modern movie'. It was amazing.
I have not read the reviews by critics, & I won't give anything away here, only - DC have hit the nail on the head with this movie. From the casting of Superman, his mother & both fathers.
Story amazing & everything that goes with a movie is amazing.
Buy this film, fill your popcorn dish, sit back & prepare to be amazed.

Thank you Amazon.

I bloody loved it!
on 19 July 2014
Fabulous! I was exhausted after watching the brilliant fight scene!
on 10 August 2014
I can only really review what I have seen in this film. Whether other people think there are avenues that were not opened up is irrelevant I think... So ..., from what I've seen, this film deserves 5 stars because we finally see Superman express himself in an angry state, something that's never really been done properly before. Christopher Reeve, bless him, you have to admire him for the gentle nature he gave his character and those films also have to be admired. It's good to see this side of Superman, whoever you are, you're bound to get angry if someone poses a threat to your mother, it was a quite a nice surprise to see that happen. The only thing that I think wasn't necessary, was the kiss between Superman and Lois. Traditionally, we get to explore Clark and the kiss comes later, so that felt a little out of place. Overall, I'd happily watch this again! The suit by the way is epic! Superman actually looks like a man, natural but different in his own way, this is evidenced by the upper chest hair you see momentarily when you get a close-up of the big guy!
on 11 May 2015
As a small child I was told that I (along with my little brother) was going to go to the cinema to see "Superman"! I waited a whole week with excitable anticipation typical of any 7 year old & was truly fit to burst by the time Saturday came. I cannot even begin to describe the disappointment with which I left the cinema a few short hours later. Having never before encountered the concept of "Superman" my 7 year old brain in that week long wait had conjured up a man, that quite frankly, was indeed SUPER!!! Handsome, POWERFUL, awesome, worthy of the name "Super-man"! What my innocent 7 year old eyes saw however was a slightly slimy looking, middle aged, ugly man who, albeit endowed with muscle, didn't seem particularly strong or POWERFUL, more a funny shape, in his Mums leotard & tights! The story wasn't much better & whilst my brother was happy to sit through the seemingly never ending sequels that followed, I considered it a strange & unusual punishment & ended up just hating Superman! In my mind, for the next 37 years Superman was quite literally rubbish! My son convinced me to buy this & it was with almost total regret that I pushed the little button that says "play". Why oh why oh why wasn't this the film I was taken to see when I was 7?? This IS what Superman should have always been! Hansome, likeable, strong, sexy & oh most definitely POWERFUL! When this Superman picks up a car you believe it. This Superman could probably play basketball with the planet Earth & still save 50 orphans before breakfast! This Superman I BELIEVE! The story was awesome & Henry Cavill is utterly brilliant as the likeable Clark & loveable Superman. With an outfit that does indeed look worthy of any hero (& not a bit like he's been in his Mums knicker drawer!) CGI has done what the blue screen never could & created a Super Hero that performs feats wholly deserving of the name & finally, in absolute truth, I cannot wait for the sequel.
on 7 October 2015
Turned off just before the end as I couldn't take any more shots of people punching each other into the sides of buildings. Was this a plethora of special effects or just the same one every few minutes? Boring.