4.0 out of 5 stars If you know it's weak points, you won't be disappointed.
Published 18 months ago by TheDanielHolt

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective bluetooth Antenna?
Published 23 months ago by BaconTrousers

4.0 out of 5 stars If you know it's weak points, you won't be disappointed., 9 Oct. 2013
This review is from: JBL Flip Rechargeable Portable Bluetooth Loud Speaker with UK/EU Mains Adapter and Built-In Mic Compatible with Smartphones, Tablets and MP3 Devices Including iPhone 4/4S/5/5S/5C/6/6 Plus, iPad 2/3/4/Air/Mini, iPod Nano 7th Generation, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4/S5, Galaxy Note 2/3, Galaxy Tab 2/3/4, Amazon Fire Phone, Xperia Z1/Z2, HTC One/One M8 and Google Nexus 5/7/10 - White (Electronics)
So I have a nice stereo at home and all, but recently I took an interest in small portable bluetooth speakers. So I started researching. There's all these "popular" choices like the Jawbone Jambox or the Beats Pill. And then there was the JBL Flip. I'd much rather trust a brand name that has been dealing with audio equipment, big or small, for 60+ years than some companies that we've barely heard of before. So with big excitement I ordered it. Yesterday it arrived. It was slightly bigger than I had expected, but still very small. It's like a can of soda, but taller. It has a pretty good weight to it, it doesn't feel cheap at all. My first impression of the sound was that it's pretty treble heavy, but I got used to that pretty quickly and it's actually really *good* treble at that. I'm gonna say this much: It sounds GOOD. The bass isn't going to blow you away, but it's certainly there and better than the what the Beats Pill has. If you put the speaker near a wall, it sounds it's best, and there's plenty of volume. This speaker doesn't distort, it stays clean. What it does do though, is compress the sound, which can be kinda annoying. But then again, you have to be listening to max volume for it to do this.
The weak points, I'd say, is the fact that it doesn't charge over USB and that the battery doesn't hold as long as other speakers in the range. And it may not be as pretty as some of the other speakers. But if you're just looking for impressively clean and rounded sound in a small package, this is it.

Other notes:
-Bluetooth coverage seems as good as you could expect, depends on the device you're listening to though.
-When in the upright position, it tips over quite easily so I don't recommend using it like that on a unstable surface.
-The carrying case it comes with is very nice.
-Bought it for £52, so that's what I'm judging after.
-The noises it makes when powering on, connecting etc aren't nearly as annoying as some of the other BT speakers I've heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Little Speaker, 7 April 2014
I never expected such a tiny and small looking speaker produce such amazing and wonderful sounds. It is a clear winnner when compared to its peers. It is small, easy to carry with that wonderful pouch and really produces some soulful sounds. I would certainly recommend this . I think I was lucky for me to get this for 49£. Not sure about the current proce though ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 Oct. 2013
It really good!!! nice sound, good quality!! easy to use i recomend it 100%
The bag that comes with is really nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 5 May 2014
Davey (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this for travelling - I already have a Bose Minilink, but felt decadent enough to want this as well. It's very good - play with the graphic equaliser on your player (I use the paid for Rocket app on a Google nexus), put it against a wall or window to boost the bass, and away you go. Is it as good as the Bose? No, but so what, it's a lot cheaper, and it's worth every penny (as is the Bose, by the way!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but Powerful, 28 Jan. 2014
Amazon Customer "Bob" (Stafford, Staffs. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Needed a wireless speaker for my android phone and tablet(S3 and note 10.1). Read all of the reviews and bought the JBL Flip. Glad I did; for a device not much bigger than a coke can it produces very reasonable sound. No problems with the bluetooth connection and the bass is adequate. Might get another one for the wife, this time the Flip 2 as the USB charger is a plus point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jun. 2013
Very easy use item.
Been away on holiday and I found it easy to pack away.
Sound is excellent for such a tiny speaker.
Every device I have used has synced with it ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound from such a small speaker, 8 Sept. 2014
DJM "DJM" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The JBL is a great performer considering its size. It obviously won't shake the windows but the bass that is there is very well controlled and the sound is fantastically well balanced and instruments sound real with lovely timbre and little sibilance. The presentation is projected out of the speaker and gives it an expansive feeling. For under £100 this is an excellent speaker and will better most, if not all internal TV or laptop speakers and many radio speakers. Highly recommended.

Pros
Well built. Feels like it will last forever.
Easy to use and works faultlessly. Connecting by Blue Tooth is easy peasy.
Looks pretty good.
Musically excellent. Given its size and price the JBL has a very pleasing balanced and dynamic sound with no major harshness of its own.Instruments sound real and voicing is very good.
Comes with a nice zip up case.

Cons
Quite heavy to carry around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little performer!, 14 Dec. 2012
The JBL flip is an excellent little performer. Better value for money than the £160 Jawbone Jambox and the £200+ offering from Bose - totally over-hyped products in my opinion.
At highest volume you can get a (very) little distortion, which you'd expect from such a tiny package.
Great that you can "flip" into an upright position too, just slot into a space on your bookshelf!
Thoroughly recommended product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective bluetooth Antenna?, 10 May 2013
I received my JBL Flip today which was charged from the box. I'm pretty sure I got a customer return as the box and contents had been opened previously (although the speaker itself was unmarked) It paired with my Galaxy s3 with no issues, BUT the signal cut off only after 5 feet of distance with no objects in between. Before I bought this item I did some research and found a review on the US Amazon which states that any Flip with a serial number below 0189100 has a bluetooth antenna issue. According to the reviewer he contacted Harman/JBL and was told this information, and that the new batches would roll out March/April 2013.

What I have here is a speaker that has the serial number 0089948 which is nearly a 100.000 (yes that's a Hundred Thousand) off the new batches which were supposed to be replaced in March/April this year! It also appears that the unit I have is very old stock (either from the seller or their supplier)

Anyway the speaker it's self is the best I've heard from something this size. Bass although not overwhelming is good and if I had any criticisms I would say the treble is too high (this could be addressed in the equaliser settings in the phone though)

Here is a link to the US Amazon review 'JBL releases Flip with new better BT antenna design'

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed portable wonder, 6 Nov. 2014
Couldn't really fault it to start with: Alarmingly small when you unwrap it but very good sound for such a small package and the Bluetooth quality is barely less than hard wired. Use on battery and you can take it with you from room to room - wherever you happen to need to be.....then it stopped working. The failure mode is that it turns itself on and off at random. Very annoying; will be going back.