4.0 out of 5 stars If you know it's weak points, you won't be disappointed.
Published 21 months ago by TheDanielHolt

3.0 out of 5 stars Defective bluetooth Antenna?
I received my JBL Flip today which was charged from the box. I'm pretty sure I got a customer return as the box and contents had been opened previously (although the speaker itself was unmarked) It paired with my Galaxy s3 with no issues, BUT the signal cut off only after 5 feet of distance with no objects in between. Before I bought this item I did some research and...
Published on 10 May 2013 by BaconTrousers

4.0 out of 5 stars If you know it's weak points, you won't be disappointed., 9 Oct. 2013
So I have a nice stereo at home and all, but recently I took an interest in small portable bluetooth speakers. So I started researching. There's all these "popular" choices like the Jawbone Jambox or the Beats Pill. And then there was the JBL Flip. I'd much rather trust a brand name that has been dealing with audio equipment, big or small, for 60+ years than some companies that we've barely heard of before. So with big excitement I ordered it. Yesterday it arrived. It was slightly bigger than I had expected, but still very small. It's like a can of soda, but taller. It has a pretty good weight to it, it doesn't feel cheap at all. My first impression of the sound was that it's pretty treble heavy, but I got used to that pretty quickly and it's actually really *good* treble at that. I'm gonna say this much: It sounds GOOD. The bass isn't going to blow you away, but it's certainly there and better than the what the Beats Pill has. If you put the speaker near a wall, it sounds it's best, and there's plenty of volume. This speaker doesn't distort, it stays clean. What it does do though, is compress the sound, which can be kinda annoying. But then again, you have to be listening to max volume for it to do this.
The weak points, I'd say, is the fact that it doesn't charge over USB and that the battery doesn't hold as long as other speakers in the range. And it may not be as pretty as some of the other speakers. But if you're just looking for impressively clean and rounded sound in a small package, this is it.

Other notes:
-Bluetooth coverage seems as good as you could expect, depends on the device you're listening to though.
-When in the upright position, it tips over quite easily so I don't recommend using it like that on a unstable surface.
-The carrying case it comes with is very nice.
-Bought it for £52, so that's what I'm judging after.
-The noises it makes when powering on, connecting etc aren't nearly as annoying as some of the other BT speakers I've heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Top build quality, Excellent sound quality,Terrific!, 11 May 2014
John Ryan "Scouse in the semi-detached house" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: JBL Flip Rechargeable Portable Bluetooth Loud Speaker with UK/EU Mains Adapter and Built-In Mic Compatible with iPhone 3/3G/3GS/4/4S/5/5S/5C, iPad 2/3/4/Mini/Air, iPod Touch 5th Generation, Samsung Galaxy S2/S3/S4, Galaxy Tab 2/3 and Nexus 7 - Black (Electronics)
Wow! This speaker just blew me away!

Here's why....

What is it?
--------------
The JBL Flip is an entry level bluetooth wireless speaker. In short, if you've got a smartphone (ie. any Android or iPhone) or tablet (eg. Nexus, Kindle Fire or iPad) or even a modern laptop you can wirelessly stream (play) music from your device.

No wires, no fuss just great sound quality!

Let's face it. Increasingly, we listen to music on our smartphone or tablet - not from a CD player. These little speakers use a "bluetooth connection" (a bit like WIFI - but it's designed to connect two devices together). You "pair" your phone to the speaker, and then press play.

What's the sound quality like?
----------------------------------
Absolutely incredible!

Clearly speaker technology has come a long way in the past few years. Right now I've got a latest Damon Albarn album (bloke used to be the lead singer in Blur and Gorilaz), and the sound fills a 20ft by 20ft room. The quality and separation is so good, I can hear the sound of the artlists fingers as they quickly move down the strings of the guitar.

In short, the clarity, volume and pure sound quality on this is just amazing.

How does it work?
------------------------
You simply "pair" the speaker and phone/iPad and play your music or radio.
On the iPhone (but almost certainly available on Android) I use the following Apps:-

* Music - to stream music stored on my iPhone and iPad
* Tune In Radio - An app to listen to world wide radio stations (or XFM London and Radio 4 in my case)
* Spotify - where for £5-£10 a month (or even for free) you can listen to unlimited tracks of your selection
* BBC iPlayer or You Tube - to boost the sound from your iPad or tablet
* I've even placed it below my laptop, and use it as a PC speaker - so much better than the tinny noise you get out of a laptop.

You also have the benefit that you have a built in "remote control" - your smartphone or tablet. This means you can adjust the volume or switch to another track quicly.

What's it like?
-----------------
As I've already said, sound quality is simply brilliant!

In terms of size, it's about the size (and weight) of a can of coke. Sits nicely in the hand, and stands well either on it's side (it had a ridge to stop it rolling), or on one end.

Build quality is solid, and it feels very well built. I've been using it now for about two months, and had no problems whatsoever.

Battery life is the only potential let down. However, you've got to put this in context. You can pay £100-£200 for something better - in which case I'd jump stright to the "What else is available" section below.

Yes. Battery life (as other reviewers have said), is somewhere between 3-5 hours from a full charge. You don't get any notice (ie. sound quality doesn't gradually degrade), it just stops working.

What's Good about it?
-----------------------------
* Stunning sound quality
* Remarkably small, but a nice weight
* Incredible value for money

What's not so good?
--------------------------
* Battery life is a bit limited - but you can play while it's plugged in.
* The charge connector is not a standard mini-USB - means you can't use an existing charger
* It's a bit of a pain to switch between devices. eg. Smartphone to iPad.

Update: Worth pointing out. You "pair" your phone to the device, and on some (more expensive speakers), it "remembers" the last 5 pairs. This means it's easy to switch between music being streamed FROM a PC to a tablet to your phone again.
This device only remembers the last device. Means you need to "unpair" and then "pair" the second device. Hence "Bit of a pain to switch between devices".

What else is available?
------------------------------
The alternatives I've looked at are:-

* Bose Soundlink Mini. Around £150. Beautiful "Apple" brushed aluminium design and fantastic sound quality.
* Base Soundlink III. £250, and even better sound quality. The "big brother" of the Soundlink Mini.
* Azatom Stealth Air: A mains powered only device. Great sound and price, but this device produces similar sound quality and is portable and rechargeable.
* Apple TV: Great option if you have an iPhone or iPad as you can connect it to a TV and external Sound Bar or speakers. I stream music to this in the lounge (and also watch films as a bonus!).
* Sonos Range: Fantastic sound, with the ability to connect several together - but not rechargeable
* AQ Smart Speaker: Disappointing sound quality given the high price - but you can pair two portable speakers to work in stereo.

Conclusion
-------------
I've owned and tested a series of bluetooth speakers, and this really stands out in the value for money stakes. That sounds like it's a bit of a compromise, but if so, it's not a compromise on sound quality.

Batttery life could be better, but in terms of sound, build quality and sheer value for money this is stand out brilliant.

Highly Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking Little Speaker, 7 April 2014
I never expected such a tiny and small looking speaker produce such amazing and wonderful sounds. It is a clear winnner when compared to its peers. It is small, easy to carry with that wonderful pouch and really produces some soulful sounds. I would certainly recommend this . I think I was lucky for me to get this for 49£. Not sure about the current proce though ..

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 28 Oct. 2013
It really good!!! nice sound, good quality!! easy to use i recomend it 100%
The bag that comes with is really nice!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value for money, 5 May 2014
Davey (Dorset, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this for travelling - I already have a Bose Minilink, but felt decadent enough to want this as well. It's very good - play with the graphic equaliser on your player (I use the paid for Rocket app on a Google nexus), put it against a wall or window to boost the bass, and away you go. Is it as good as the Bose? No, but so what, it's a lot cheaper, and it's worth every penny (as is the Bose, by the way!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but Powerful, 28 Jan. 2014
Amazon Customer "Bob" (Stafford, Staffs. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Needed a wireless speaker for my android phone and tablet(S3 and note 10.1). Read all of the reviews and bought the JBL Flip. Glad I did; for a device not much bigger than a coke can it produces very reasonable sound. No problems with the bluetooth connection and the bass is adequate. Might get another one for the wife, this time the Flip 2 as the USB charger is a plus point.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect. Absolutely perfect!!, 20 Jun. 2014
I'd recently purchased another Bluetooth speaker for use outdoors in the garden for BBQ's that sort of thing. It was "OK" but distorted a little if you decided to turn the music up a bit once people had had a few drinks. You know what it's like, you start with background music and as the party progresses you want a little more "ooomph".
I decided to get something a little more robust, and had almost decided to buy another make when I read the reviews on the JBL Flip. At the price it was being advertised for I thought it had to be worth a shot, so bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered one.
It arrived a couple of days later, and keen to try it out charged it up and proceeded to pair it with my wife's Nano. It connected with no problems whatsoever and the sound has to be heard to be believed! It really is incredible for such a small speaker. Left it playing on a lower volume for a while (to help it "bed in") and then turned the volume up a bit. Finally got what I wanted. Perfect for parties, barbecues and such. My Son and Daughter came down a couple of days later and I showed them it. They have both ordered one for themselves.
It's a great speaker. Seems very well put together and has a nice weighty feel to it.
If you are looking for a speaker that could cope with this sort of scenario, I can strongly recommend the JBL Flip to you. At the £49.99 price it's a steal. At the full retail price I would still have bought it now that I know how it performs.
YOU WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Jun. 2013
Very easy use item.
Been away on holiday and I found it easy to pack away.
Sound is excellent for such a tiny speaker.
Every device I have used has synced with it ok.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound from such a small speaker, 8 Sept. 2014
DJM "DJM" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The JBL is a great performer considering its size. It obviously won't shake the windows but the bass that is there is very well controlled and the sound is fantastically well balanced and instruments sound real with lovely timbre and little sibilance. The presentation is projected out of the speaker and gives it an expansive feeling. For under £100 this is an excellent speaker and will better most, if not all internal TV or laptop speakers and many radio speakers. Highly recommended.

Pros
Well built. Feels like it will last forever.
Easy to use and works faultlessly. Connecting by Blue Tooth is easy peasy.
Looks pretty good.
Musically excellent. Given its size and price the JBL has a very pleasing balanced and dynamic sound with no major harshness of its own.Instruments sound real and voicing is very good.
Comes with a nice zip up case.

Cons
Quite heavy to carry around.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magic, 29 April 2014
How can it sound this good when it's so small. Not much bigger than a 500ml can of larger, this sounds very good for its size and price. If you tweak your phone or tablets equaliser it can sound better still. There is actually some bass. Granted it's not that deep but you can hear bass guitar, and drums. Very listenable and quite detailed. Wish I could hook up two together to improve stereo imaging. Not that good (but as good as competition) as gap between speakers is small. Easy to use too. I listened to 160 pound bose mini and didn't sound that much different. Battery life could be better. About 3 hours at medium volume. I wish it didn't beep so loud everytime you connect to bluetooth. Overall though at this price it's a bargain.