5.0 out of 5 stars So LOL
Published on 9 Aug 2012 by travellin' man

3.0 out of 5 stars Must just be me.....
It must just be me. These shorts were ok. I chuckled a touch, but not much. I cant remember a thing about any of them, other than something to do with rhubarb. I just thought it was pretty average, hence must just be me, given all the 5 star reviews. 2.5/5 for me - sorry...
Published on 12 Oct 2012 by djf

5.0 out of 5 stars So LOL, 9 Aug 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
Books that have made me laugh out loud are: Spike Milligan's war memoirs, Three Men In a Boat by Jerome K Jerome, Wilt by Tom Sharpe and now Solos by Andrew Peters. A series of monologues that, like The Blues Detective, force the reader to turn the pages. Judgement Day contains the best list of candidates for hell ever written and caused an outbreak of explosive laughter from this reviewer. A close second was the story about the bullying teacher...please sir, can I have some more?

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 27 July 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
8 Fabulous short stories. Some of these stories had me laughing out loud, the way he describes some people appealed to my sense of humour. This is really a great read and I hope he writes lots more!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Collection, 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
A thoroughly enjoyable collection that I will read again and again.
Mostly very funny but also some thought provoking moments, and some which lead you to believe that, no, it's not just you that feels that way!
Good fun, I hope there's more to come!

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, Delightful I Love This Book, 6 Sep 2012
Kay (Cheshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
Solos When I got this book I really didn't know what to expect from the pen of a musician turned writer. Crime shorts with a musical theme maybe, crimes set in the clubland one associates with musicians maybe. None of these, what I did find was a bunch of short stories, many of which were written in a sort of quirky 'chat at the bar' style and every single one a little gem of wicked humour that sees a funny side to the darkest crime of murder. A good few hours of amusing and entertaining relaxation that had me, well, 'chortling' is the word best suited which make this a book full of chortles. I've already lined up the next from Andrew Peters and hope I'm just as delighted as I was with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rhubarb, 4 Sep 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
At the first few pages I thought, 'Oh my God is this guy for real'. Very real! I can't remember a book that has had me laughing out loud at a stupid hour in the morning when I should be sleeping! Thanks to the Author I woke my little girl in the next room at 3am! You read the first and just have to go on! Oh how I would love to fill a minibus, get the 'drive' to take them to Barry and put them all on a ship to Tobago! hahaha, loved this book! Anyone for Rhubarb Crumble?

5.0 out of 5 stars Singularly Solo, 1 Aug 2012
Penelope Booth "Portia" (Durham City, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
I bought this to download to my Kindle, intending to save it for a quick read on holiday later this month, after being 'bullied' in the most charming way by facebook contacts. OK, I admit it, tempted by comment....
Not in the least bit regretted - tempted to read it after only a few days of resistance, I thoroughly enjoyed the short stories and delighted in the teasing messages brought by the denouement and the expected unexpected at the end of every story. You'll love this if you like to think the unthinkable - well, the un-do-able, because you may well have thought like Andrew Peters, but haven't done and may not even have revealed to anyone your thoughts.
A 'good read'; funny, thoughtful, well worth the money, interesting (no, I don't think that word is over-used, I really DO mean I like 'interesting') and leaves you wanting more. What more could you want for your money and, more precious, your time?

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, great value and just a little deliciously twisted, 28 July 2012
L. Day "Bookworm" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
This is a really well-rounded, fun collection.
I think the first story in it is possibly one of the weakest - so I really wouldn't judge the book by that one if you're sampling. I say weakest and that's probably not fair because it has a lovely sense of place and time and a coherent narrator's voice - it's just that I saw it coming a mile off and there's no twist. However the collection gets much tighter as you move through. By the 3rd story (First Draft) I was laughing more and more and clicking ever quicker through the pages.

The Urban Avenger hits a powerful chord - who knew I was an Urban Avengeress? Wow could I relate to that one. Cattle prods - that's what we need!

Judgement Day narrated by the Archangel Gabriel is a hilarious little gem. No spoilers - just read it and laugh - I was delighted to see that God and Discworld's Lord Vetinari are almost completely agreed on the fate of mimes though.

The various narrators different voices work nicely, there is a realism and congruency to the various characters that worked for me. None of that being jarred out of the story by stupid or unlikely things. There are a couple of much darker stories which add variety. Grammar and proof-reading are tight, formatting is generally fine but the TOC doesn't work which does mean it's hard to get back to any of the stories without much clicking.(See below) But text to speech is allowed which is always a blessing ;-)
Truly it should probably get 4* as I suspect that Mr Peter's work will improve and it's nice to leave a star to grow on - but it's a first book, it's terrific value - I've paid 5 times for more for less value, it really made me laugh and filled several hours with great stories so it's getting 5*
----

Edited 31/7/12 Astonishingly the author left me a message on my review telling me that he had fixed the TOC! I can now confirm that it works perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read..!, 13 Sep 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
I just finish to read Solos. My first Kindle book and my very first experience reading Andrew Peters. I did not know what to expect and was very nicely surprised. Shortstories you wish they would be much longer. Dark at times but very funny indeed. Easy to read but still, very well written, I would think. Really looking forward now to read "The Blues Detective" soon...

4.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Enjoyable, 29 Oct 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
Another thoroughly enjoyable read from Andrew Peters comprising of nine short, unconnected stories. Not as funny as the Blues Detective, but darker in humour, Solos still managed to raise more than an occasional chuckle. I guessed the ending of each story well before the climax, only to then realise that I was wrong more than fifty per cent of the time. The obvious isn't always what it seems, although it is sometimes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone - Great!, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Solos (Kindle Edition)
Having read The Blues Detective(also by Andrew Peters) before this book, I was surprised to find the humerous stories interspersed with more touching and thought provoking ones. A true mix of all emotions with stories to match your every mood. An excellent book with a story for all seasons. A true gem!
A Case For The Blues Detective is next on my list.

Solos