6,142 Reviews
 (4,524)

This item arrived quickly and was well packaged (as would be expected from Amazon).

Pros:
Published on 19 Jan. 2013 by Kilpers

1.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Slowly
It did seem to work but very slow so I tested with Crystal DiskMark 3.0.3 x64.
On a USB2.0 port I got RD-27.08MB/s WR-21.14MB/s
On a USB3.0 port I got RD-97.94MB/s WR-6.05MB/s
My USB3.0 port is fine I get over 150MB/s RD/WR with a fast stick.
I have uploaded a photo of the results.
Look for an alternative and check the Crystal DiskMark results.
Published 2 months ago by Ash

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way. A Must Buy if you need external storage., 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)

Pros:
Fast - I copied 320Gb onto this drive and then back onto a new Hard Drive in a matter of hours. It must be plugged into USB 3.0 to have this speed. If you do not have USB 3.0 then it will still work - it just won't be anywhere near as fast. You can get USB 3.0 upgrade PCI card (available separately for about £35).

No formatting required - the drive is formatted to NTFS by default (the type any modern Hard Drive should be using), this meant I was able to remove the drive from its packaging and start using it right away. You can format it when you open it or reformat to 'FAT' if you want - there is nothing to stop you, however this is not required and will suit casual users.

No power cable - all power needed to operate the drive is drawn through the USB cable (once plugged into you computer!) There is only one cable that comes with the external drive: the USB 3.0 cable.

No need for any other software - there is software on the drive - but it is not required for backups. It is just an added extra if you want to take advantage of it.

Cons:
Short cable - the cable is around 30cm in length. This is fine for me as I have a USB 3.0 at the rear of my computer and it sits within easy access, but I can see how it will be a pain for some users.

That was the only bad thing I can say about it. Fantastic bit of kit, well worth the pennies. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & quiet but needs a micro-B USB 3 cable for best results, 4 Mar. 2014
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have used quite a few external USB Hard Drives over the years but this is the first one that has used a micro-B USB 3.0 Cable. This has a regular USB Type A male connector at one end and a USB 3 micro-B male connector at the other which plugs into the M3. Don't confuse this with the Micro USB (2) connector used with most mobile phones as they are not the same. You can use the old style cable but it will be a lot slower.

It's not a big deal as a short(47cm/18in) USB 3 cable is supplied in the box with the drive. However, if like me, you tend to leave cables lying around and then forget where you left them, you may have a problem. They are not difficult to find and Amazon sell them just make sure you search for 'USB 3.0 Micro-B' (if you paste that into the Amazon search it will take you straight to them).

The drive itself looks fine, feels quite sturdy and mine did not make any noise or vibration. In fact, I had to look at the LED indicator on the back to be sure it was on. It is about the size of a smartphone but twice as thick. It comes with some Samsung software, the installation of which is optional for Windows users (Apple users may need to use the supplied NTFS driver).

If you are a Windows user and don't want to install the Samsung software (I didn't) then you will be up & running in seconds. All you have to do is plug one end into the drive and the other into your computer. The drive uses the computer to power it. Some computers cannot deliver enough power through the USB port to run the drive. In this situation, the manual recommends buying a 'Y' cable. Again Amazon sell these but make sure you get one with the USB 3.0 Micro Type B connector at one end.

Apple users may need to install the driver which is supplied on the drive as it is pre-formatted with the NTFS file system. I don't use any Apple computers but I believe some of them cannot write to NTFS partitions without using the driver.

As to the performance, it seems fairly quick. I copied 110GB of large files to it in about 40 min using the USB 3 port. This works out at about 2.75GB per minute. Copying the files back was about half as fast again.
According to Windows 7, the speeds were:
Computer to Drive : 58MB (megabytes) per second
Drive to Computer : 80MB (megabytes) per second

If you want to, you can use this drive with a regular USB 2 port instead if USB 3 but it will be a lot slower.

UPDATE 7 March 2015. I have now had this drive for over a year and it is still working perfectly so it is reliable too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great cheap little portable storage solution, 8 Mar. 2015
D. Stanford (South East England) - See all my reviews
Length:: 1:00 Mins

First off yes the drive inside this unit is a Seagate. The warranty is with Seagate and not Samsung. Those aware of the latest backblaze HDD reliability report may be put off by this, but hold on.

1/ This drive has a 3 year warranty
2/ This drive is possibly the cheapest USB 3.0 drive available.

As such this drive has purpose and many reasons to buy it. However as a backup medium probably not.

I first purchased a 1TB unit a few months ago and it has served very well hooked up to a Sony Bluray drive serving up .mp4 files.

I have more recently just purchased 2 more 2TB drives. One to replace the 1TB drive serving movies to our main TV as I quickly realised that 1TB just isn't enough to hold my film library, and the second 2TB to serve up movies to our bedroom TV.

The M3 drive is reasonably rugged in a hard plastic case, more rugged than say a WD My Book 2 TB USB 3.0 Hard Drive with Backup but no where near the protection of a Transcend 2.5 inch 2TB USB 3.0 Military Grade Shock Resistance Portable External Hard Drive. It should survive a short drop off a table onto carpet no problems, but if you are looking at taking this out and about I would invest in a case or better just get the transcend storejet or similar rugged drive.

If you are looking for an actual backup drive then you should seriously consider a 3.5" powered drive such as the MyBook which has a WD NAS drive in it, faster and as per BackBlaze very reliable. If you are looking for a drive that is portable and going to be moved from PC to PC then you want a 2.5" drive, do not get a 3.5" powered drive if you plan on moving it around, I had a WD MyBook and it lasted only around 6 months before falling 3ft onto carpet and getting broken ( Tripped on power cable and it tugged it off table ).

Now if you want a 2.5" portable drive and plan on using it for backups I would advise a WD My Passport Ultra 2TB USB 3.0 Portable Drive with Auto and Cloud Backup - Black, more expensive but more reliable. If you want and 2.5" portable drive that is cheap, fast and with a long warranty and are not using it for backup say for keeping data mobile that you have a backup of else where then this is the drive for you. Ideal for using with TV's for .MKVs and .MP4s, Keeping your picture library and home videos on for taking out to show friends in their home ( as long as you also have them backed up elsewhere such as a home PC or 3.5" powered USB drive hooked up to a PC).

There are many drives available to buy all with different purposes in mind. As long as you buy the right drive for the purpose you require you should be happy. I suspect that many of the bad reviews on Amazon are from people buying this and putting pics and movies on and not keeping a backup of that data and then this failing. Drives do not last forever, and do not react well to movement and shock, which kind of makes a portable mechanical drive an oxymoron, but an affordable necessity. Even how well or not you package was handled when it was delivered could even effect the life of your drive.

Look after yours and do not keep data on it that is not stored elsewhere, it will serve you well and the 3 year warranty is there if it does not.

Crystal Disk Mark Results
----------------------------

Video includes speed tests of both 1tb and 2tb drives on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0

USB 2.0 tests done on Core 2 Quad Q9650, 4GB, Win 7 Pro 32Bit
USB 3.0 tests done on i7 4700HQ, 16gb, Win 8.1 64 Bit ( USB 2.0 Tests on this machine were around 10%-15% faster than on the Q9650 machine )

The results on USB 2.0 are far from surprising due limits of data transfer on USB2. However the USB 3.0 speed results are interesting especially the speed difference between the 1tb and 2tb drive.

TV& Bluray Drive Tests.
-------------------------

1TB drive tested and confirmed working with Samsung UE32F5000 & UE42F5000 playing MKV's. Sony BDV-L600 playing MP4's
2TB drive tested and confirmed working with Sony BDV-L600 playing MP4's.

Will update this list as I test with more devices.

Comparisons.
------------

Since writing this review I have recently been able to do a test on the Transcend Storejet 1TB on USB 2. Compared to the 1TB M3 on USB 2.0 The Storejet was slower on 512k Tests by around 15% and slower on 4k test by around 30%.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is garunteed to reduce stress, your cholesterol and make you look 10 years younger, 2 Sept. 2014
Richard Hawkes (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!

945 of 1,006 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug. 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE EXTERNAL DRIVE?, 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: 6 months on and all is well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price..Simple,quiet and Easy to use., 15 Feb. 2015
Mr. S. R. Reece "Topcat" (West Midlands England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Just bought myself another Smart TV (LG 55 UB850V) and needed to get the best from it so I bought this HDD to pause live TV and record programs...and in some cases just back up any photos,music and video clips I need too...This fit the bill perfectly..

First off...it's very well made and looks quite smart, although for me this is not an issue because 95% of it's life it sits at the back of the telly...It's USB 3 and comes complete with a short usb cable....about 12''..so bare this in mind if you need longer and you will need to purchase a longer one,specifically for USB 3..First thing I did was format the HDD on my computer which took around 1 min...it was recognised right away and installed the required driver....I then proceeded to put music..photos..and video clips onto it from my many trips and holidays plus my favorite music....then transfered the HDD to my TV,,,,this recognised it right away also and I began playback with no hicups at all....I then set up a scehduled recording for the TV and it played back flawlesly..It's also very quiet..This one being 500GB is more then enough for me personally and the price is very good too....so if your looking for a simple to set up and easy to use HDD (and fast too) this will be perfect for you....Cheers.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Slowly, 17 Feb. 2015
It did seem to work but very slow so I tested with Crystal DiskMark 3.0.3 x64.
On a USB2.0 port I got RD-27.08MB/s WR-21.14MB/s
On a USB3.0 port I got RD-97.94MB/s WR-6.05MB/s
My USB3.0 port is fine I get over 150MB/s RD/WR with a fast stick.
I have uploaded a photo of the results.
Look for an alternative and check the Crystal DiskMark results.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox One external hard drive, 22 Mar. 2015
If you're looking for a decent external hard drive for your Xbox One then look no further! I bought this for that exact reason and it works perfectly, and setting it up is quick and simple. Now my Xbox One has a good 900+ gb free, enough room for even the biggest games i.e. Halo Master Chief Collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars samsung m3 1tb portable hard drive, 2 Jan. 2014
i love this hard drive goes in your pocket and can be used anywhere i watch films on it by plugging it into the usb socket on my samsung ue32eh5000 tv works great on my tv remote fast forward rewind pause play and slow mo but the only thing that niggles me is when i press stop on my tv remote it takes about ten seconds for the film im watching to stop however ive plugged it into usb sockets on a couple of blu ray players and other tvs and when i press stop on those they are more or less instant also great for the pc or laptop i love the usb 3.0 cable that also is used as a usb 2.0 cable as wel.l lets face it most computers and anything else with usb sockets is usb 2.0 anyway but if you do have usb 3.0 sockets which i do not have you will be treated to some very fast read/write speeds i transferred 14 gigabytes of data from my san disk cruser blade flash drive via usb 2.0 to the samsung m3 and it took 15 minutes that works out at 15.5 mb per second the other thing i like about this drive is it uses power from the usb port that you plug it into to power it up it also has a very nice quality feel and is very thin not bulky at all it also has a nice blue led to let you know that it is powered up but can be annoying if watching films in a darkened room as the flashing blue light catches your eye all the time however you just turn the drive around so the light faces away from you before you start overall a very nice piece of kit and cheap to. your digital life can now go wherever you go films,photos,documents,music everything you want as long as youve got access to a usb port this is my third samsung product as well as this and my tv i also have a samsung phone thank you samsung i love your products