6,458 Reviews
 (4,780)

This item arrived quickly and was well packaged (as would be expected from Amazon).

Pros:
Published on 19 Jan. 2013 by Kilpers

1.0 out of 5 stars It Pays to be Paranoid
I have two of these, and one gave up working just six weeks after I bought it.

Looking at reviews for other drives, this seems to happen to (I would guess, on the basis of the proportion of positive to negative reviews) 10-20% of all portable drives, with no brand having a clean slate. One of my Buffalo Ministations suddenly died after a year or so too...
Published 1 month ago by Brian Pike

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way. A Must Buy if you need external storage., 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)

Pros:
Fast - I copied 320Gb onto this drive and then back onto a new Hard Drive in a matter of hours. It must be plugged into USB 3.0 to have this speed. If you do not have USB 3.0 then it will still work - it just won't be anywhere near as fast. You can get USB 3.0 upgrade PCI card (available separately for about £35).

No formatting required - the drive is formatted to NTFS by default (the type any modern Hard Drive should be using), this meant I was able to remove the drive from its packaging and start using it right away. You can format it when you open it or reformat to 'FAT' if you want - there is nothing to stop you, however this is not required and will suit casual users.

No power cable - all power needed to operate the drive is drawn through the USB cable (once plugged into you computer!) There is only one cable that comes with the external drive: the USB 3.0 cable.

No need for any other software - there is software on the drive - but it is not required for backups. It is just an added extra if you want to take advantage of it.

Cons:
Short cable - the cable is around 30cm in length. This is fine for me as I have a USB 3.0 at the rear of my computer and it sits within easy access, but I can see how it will be a pain for some users.

That was the only bad thing I can say about it. Fantastic bit of kit, well worth the pennies. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & quiet but needs a micro-B USB 3 cable for best results, 4 Mar. 2014
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I have used quite a few external USB Hard Drives over the years but this is the first one that has used a micro-B USB 3.0 Cable. This has a regular USB Type A male connector at one end and a USB 3 micro-B male connector at the other which plugs into the M3. Don't confuse this with the Micro USB (2) connector used with most mobile phones as they are not the same. You can use the old style cable but it will be a lot slower.

It's not a big deal as a short(47cm/18in) USB 3 cable is supplied in the box with the drive. However, if like me, you tend to leave cables lying around and then forget where you left them, you may have a problem. They are not difficult to find and Amazon sell them just make sure you search for 'USB 3.0 Micro-B' (if you paste that into the Amazon search it will take you straight to them).

The drive itself looks fine, feels quite sturdy and mine did not make any noise or vibration. In fact, I had to look at the LED indicator on the back to be sure it was on. It is about the size of a smartphone but twice as thick. It comes with some Samsung software, the installation of which is optional for Windows users (Apple users may need to use the supplied NTFS driver).

If you are a Windows user and don't want to install the Samsung software (I didn't) then you will be up & running in seconds. All you have to do is plug one end into the drive and the other into your computer. The drive uses the computer to power it. Some computers cannot deliver enough power through the USB port to run the drive. In this situation, the manual recommends buying a 'Y' cable. Again Amazon sell these but make sure you get one with the USB 3.0 Micro Type B connector at one end.

Apple users may need to install the driver which is supplied on the drive as it is pre-formatted with the NTFS file system. I don't use any Apple computers but I believe some of them cannot write to NTFS partitions without using the driver.

As to the performance, it seems fairly quick. I copied 110GB of large files to it in about 40 min using the USB 3 port. This works out at about 2.75GB per minute. Copying the files back was about half as fast again.
According to Windows 7, the speeds were:
Computer to Drive : 58MB (megabytes) per second
Drive to Computer : 80MB (megabytes) per second

If you want to, you can use this drive with a regular USB 2 port instead if USB 3 but it will be a lot slower.

UPDATE 7 March 2015. I have now had this drive for over a year and it is still working perfectly so it is reliable too.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is garunteed to reduce stress, your cholesterol and make you look 10 years younger, 2 Sept. 2014
Richard Hawkes (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!

950 of 1,012 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug. 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE EXTERNAL DRIVE?, 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: Almost one year on... used every day. Still no complaints.

5.0 out of 5 stars Xbox One external hard drive, 22 Mar. 2015
If you're looking for a decent external hard drive for your Xbox One then look no further! I bought this for that exact reason and it works perfectly, and setting it up is quick and simple. Now my Xbox One has a good 900+ gb free, enough room for even the biggest games i.e. Halo Master Chief Collection.

1.0 out of 5 stars It Pays to be Paranoid, 14 April 2015
Brian Pike (North Yorkhire, UK) - See all my reviews
I have two of these, and one gave up working just six weeks after I bought it.

The conclusion would seem to be that portable hard drives are essentially a consumable, sometimes with a fairly short lifespan, and you can't necessarily rely on any particular brand to last long. Buy several and back up regularly on each of them - and send key files to an online service like Dropbox, just for added security.

*** Update 26/04/2015 ***
I bought two drives of the same model and now the OTHER one has gone kaput as well, and showing just the same symptoms (can't be mounted or repaired). So that's two of this model that failed, one in six weeks, the other in seven months. Either I'm very unlucky or there's a problem with this model. I've downgraded my review from two stars to one on the basis of this latest development.

5.0 out of 5 stars samsung m3 1tb portable hard drive, 2 Jan. 2014
i love this hard drive goes in your pocket and can be used anywhere i watch films on it by plugging it into the usb socket on my samsung ue32eh5000 tv works great on my tv remote fast forward rewind pause play and slow mo but the only thing that niggles me is when i press stop on my tv remote it takes about ten seconds for the film im watching to stop however ive plugged it into usb sockets on a couple of blu ray players and other tvs and when i press stop on those they are more or less instant also great for the pc or laptop i love the usb 3.0 cable that also is used as a usb 2.0 cable as wel.l lets face it most computers and anything else with usb sockets is usb 2.0 anyway but if you do have usb 3.0 sockets which i do not have you will be treated to some very fast read/write speeds i transferred 14 gigabytes of data from my san disk cruser blade flash drive via usb 2.0 to the samsung m3 and it took 15 minutes that works out at 15.5 mb per second the other thing i like about this drive is it uses power from the usb port that you plug it into to power it up it also has a very nice quality feel and is very thin not bulky at all it also has a nice blue led to let you know that it is powered up but can be annoying if watching films in a darkened room as the flashing blue light catches your eye all the time however you just turn the drive around so the light faces away from you before you start overall a very nice piece of kit and cheap to. your digital life can now go wherever you go films,photos,documents,music everything you want as long as youve got access to a usb port this is my third samsung product as well as this and my tv i also have a samsung phone thank you samsung i love your products

4.0 out of 5 stars Great capacity and speed of data transfer., 12 Feb. 2015
This is a great item. The reason for 4 stars is the fact that Samsung has decided to complicate the USB cable that came with it; a 'male A' type would have been much more useful as they are universal nowadays and can be bought for £1.50. Instead samsung decided to give this cable it's own touch! If you lost this cable (or damaged it somehow) then you are stuck! If i had a penny for all chargers and cables that have come with various electronic devices that i have bought over the years and not 2 are alike! Way to go to make more money out of cables and kill the planet - make a universal one please.

1.0 out of 5 stars Works Very Slowly, 17 Feb. 2015
It did seem to work but very slow so I tested with Crystal DiskMark 3.0.3 x64.
On a USB2.0 port I got RD-27.08MB/s WR-21.14MB/s
On a USB3.0 port I got RD-97.94MB/s WR-6.05MB/s
My USB3.0 port is fine I get over 150MB/s RD/WR with a fast stick.
I have uploaded a photo of the results.
Look for an alternative and check the Crystal DiskMark results.