2,553 Reviews
 (1,796)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!
Published 20 months ago by i.pod

3.0 out of 5 stars Good after a little tinkering
Published 17 months ago by Mr. P. F. Mellor

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, 17 Sep 2013
Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black

This is my 3rd or 4th purchase of this product. I use it as a hard drive to store TV programs/films I want to watch at a later date, and as backups for my PCs...totally reliable product! Very quiet, and the USB 3.0 is very fast...very pleased, and highly recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good after a little tinkering, 10 Nov 2012
I bought this to connect to my home network and allow me to backup both a Mountain Lion Mac and a Windows 7 PC. Although this drive is advertised as working with both operating systems I was a little disappointed to find that the drive only comes with the Windows compatible software installed. Even worse, when I followed the official links to download the Mac software I found it relied on a piece of software made by google that was no longer available. As such this drive will not work straight out of the box with a Mac operating system.
In the end I reformatted the drive using Disk Utility on the Mac, wiping all of the Samsung software off the drive. This means I have lost some of their security options, which some people may want if they are using this as a portable hard drive and are worried about loosing the disk at some point. For me though I was happy that the security of my network hub would suffice and was easily able to plug the drive into the USB and have both Mac and Windows machines read and write to the drive.
The product is otherwise great. It is tiny, it doesn't seem to get too hot and doesn't whirr or click in any noticeable way. For the money I would definitely recommend it, and I particularly like that it draws its power through the USB cable so there is only one thing to plug in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung M3 500 GB USB 3.0 Protable Hard Drive, 8 Feb 2013
This is an excellent product about the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes but about 1/2 the thickness -say about 1 cm thick.
It comes complete with a short usb cable approx 400 mm long wich is just ideal to place the product flat down on its 4 small rubber feet on a hard surface when it is operating. (since it is effectively a small disc drive running - which is extremely quite & you can feel it spinning if you place your finger on the top of the unit when it is operating. It also has a small blue LED to let you know it is recieving power and this flashes when transferring data. It seems to operate very efficiently from my Dell desktop with a usb 2 port and operating windows 7.Because I just wanted to back up all the files on my computer ie: My docs, My picture, My videos & My music I did not bother to use the supplied software, just simply attached the usb supplied (to itself)then plugged it in to my computers usb port. It then went through the intalling software and the message 'ready to use' popped up after 30 secs or so.
I then simply copied and pasted all the above folders by simply right clicking on each folder in 'C' drive then right clicking on the Samsung 'E' drive and pasting using windows explorer tool. Very, very easy - as per the pdf instruction files which are available to view if you open the drive and simply double click on the pdf instruction manual (**WHICH YOU SHOULD DO** before using it!!)The quick start paper guide simply tells you how to plug it in as above to get going with it.
It copied all the files very rapidly indeed, at approx 1 GB per minute I would say when I timed it as a rough guide.
All in all an excellent piece of kit, with my Dell computer backed up in about an hour (50 GB)!!
Then simply right click on the task bar at the bottom and eject the device - only disconnecting when it is safe to do so as per the instruction manual. It has got auto back up features and separated pieces of drive such as a private section, I guess with a passcode to set up and other sections to split the drive if you require them but you need to run the software supplied separately by simply clicking on the auto run feature for this software, but i did not bother as its too easy and quick just to simply copy and paste across and hey presto your computer is backed up with no effort at all.
Hope this review helps you decide when you a purchasing a portable drive but I could definatley recommend you buying this 500 GB M3 portable hard drive as it seems excellent and very easy to use!

1.0 out of 5 stars Got good use of it for a few months, now nothing, 6 Jun 2013
Like some of the other people who bought this HD only to have it suddenly stop working on them, mines has done just that today. I was using it fine up until a few hours ago until I noticed it was producing a soft clicking sound that I had never heard before. Thinking it best to restart the hard drive and my PC as well, I powered my machine down and turned it back on, only to be greeted by a soft beeping noise from the external hard drive.

It no longer shows up on my computer, despite the fact it's there in my Device Manager (but not Disk Manager, so I can't even reformat it). It makes no difference if I plug it into a different USB port on my PC, or even a completely different computer altogether. The same thing happens - it shows up in the Device Manager, which states that the storage device is working properly, but is not found under the Disk Manager and doesn't show up under "My Computer" either.

I'm quite upset with this, as it's been working perfectly fine since I first bought it back in January. Now I'm not even sure how I'm going to get around to recovering the data I have saved on it. Some is backed up on another HD, but not everything is backed up and I didn't expect it to suddenly die on me so suddenly without any kind of warning.

So I would say, stay clear of this product. If you're very lucky, you might get one that doesn't mysteriously die on you, but you might end up being really unlucky like a few of us here who got ones that died and ended up losing a lot of important data.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid hardware, not so solid software., 23 Sep 2012
Mrenshaw (Manchester) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This drive comes in nice retail packaging, the manual and warranty details are hidden inside a black spacer box behind the drive which I didn't immediately realise. The drive looks really nice, it's a matt black checkerboard effect. It's only a little larger than the 2.5 inch drive it contains. It also comes with a USB 3 notched cable. (It will of course work with USB1 or 2).

One word of warning, as this drive is formatted with NTFS, it will not work out of the box with OSX - no matter what the manual says! It will be read only unless you erase the drive (Applications, Utilities, Disk Utility then choose the Samsung drive and erase). It's not a biggie, but worth mentioning for any Mac users.

The drive comes with the Samsung drive manager software, manuals, and secure unlock/portable secret zone software already on it. As you may expect, this software is designed for windows, and once installed requires a reboot.

The drive manager software has secret zone, auto backup, diagnostics and disk management and it's incredibly easy to use and I created a secure partition very quickly.
However, once it created the partition the software crashed! Everything was okay and I could still use the drive but it was a little disconcerting. The rest of the functions are already present in all versions of Windows, so it was just the convenience of having them in one place.

In actual use the drive is great - I did a backup of my music library over the network and it copied 8644 files totalling 55Gb in 1 hour and 12 minutes. This is quite respectable, as I was using a Windows 7 machine running in a parallels desktop from OSX via USB2. I don't have any USB3 hardware to try it on (yet!) but the copy speeds should be at least 5 or 6 times quicker (USB3 is rated as 10x quicker in theory)

***UPDATE copying an 8gb file from the drive on USB2 took about 9 minutes, using USB3 was less than 60 seconds. Very, very impressed with the speed increase! UPDATE***

From OSX I then erased the drive and used as a time machine backup - again this did the job fine and without any fuss.

There is no heat generated from the drive and there is the smallest amount of noise possible, in a quiet room my typing is louder than the noise output of the drive. You can hear it if the room is silent but only just.

I can't rate the hardware highly enough. It's robust, quiet and reliable. The only let down is the software - I chose not to use this and was very happy with the drive. The software is the only reason it's not a 5 star review.

Recommended

4.0 out of 5 stars Neat practical drive, 24 Dec 2012
Needing about 500GB extra storage, this seemed a good price per GB. It came promptly and gave no problems "plug and play". It is also easy to transport. I have not done any formal comparisons of read and write speeds. but it seems not significantly slower or faster than comparable drives. It comes with additional back-up type software already on the disk, but this is not mentioned in the "quick start" guide. It would be easy to go straight to a re-format and scrub it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable- corrupted for no reason after 3 months use, 15 Mar 2013
Sadly this drive suddenly failed for no reason. Initially windows couldn't see it at all. I rebooted and it was visible but the files just hung on trying to access them and then it totally disappeared. The files are now not accessible and it is not even possible to format the drive. Amazon customer services have been excellent in handling my return but I have lost so much data that although I have backed up I will now need to reconstruct.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 23 Nov 2012
Russell Jesson (Loughborough, England) - See all my reviews
I have a Samsung Smart TV which will record to a USB Hardrive and this is what this device is being used for. Works perfectly, not sure if the TV USB port s USB 3 but no problems with either recording or play back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, 9 Oct 2012
Mr. Andrew Malcolm (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have several external hard drives and this is as good as they get. It's a nice size and what I like about it most is that it doesn't go to sleep like my others do so when I access it after taking a break I don't have to wait for it to warm up!!!

ARRAY(0xab56f594)