5,163 Reviews
 (3,750)

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & quiet but needs a micro-B USB 3 cable
I have used quite a few external USB Hard Drives over the years but this is the first one that has used a micro-B USB 3.0 Cable. This has a regular USB Type A male connector at one end and a USB 3 micro-B male connector at the other which plugs into the M3. Don't confuse this with the Micro USB (2) connector used with most mobile phones as they are not the same...
Published 11 months ago by Mr. N. Edwards

1.0 out of 5 stars HD failed in less than 1 year
I bought this September 2012. It has been used a few times for backups and last night it failed. Very frustrating as I have lost all previous backups and it will not reformat. Surprised because I expected better from Samsung.
Published 19 months ago by sara66

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact & quiet but needs a micro-B USB 3 cable, 4 Mar. 2014
Mr. N. Edwards "NiallEd" (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

It's not a big deal as one is supplied in the box with the drive but if, like me, you tend to leave cables lying around and then forget where you left them, you may have a problem. They are not difficult to find and Amazon sell them just make sure you search for USB 3.0 Micro-B!

The drive itself looks fine, feels quite sturdy and mine did not make any noise or vibration. In fact, I had to look at the LED indicator on the back to be sure it was on. It comes with some Samsung software, the installation of which is optional for Windows users (Apple users may need to use the supplied NTFS driver).

If you are a Windows user and don't want to install the Samsung software (I didn't) you will be up & running in seconds. All you have to do is plug one end into the drive and the other into your computer. The drive uses the computer to power it. Some computers cannot deliver enough power through the USB port to run the drive. In this situation, the manual recommends buying a 'Y' cable. Again Amazon sell these but make sure you get one with the Micro Type B connector at one end.

Apple users may need to install the driver which is supplied on the drive as it is pre-formatted with the NTFS file system. I don't use any Apple computers but I believe some of them cannot write to NTFS partitions without using the driver.

As to the performance, it seems fairly quick. I copied 110GB of large files to it in about 40 min using the USB 3 port. This works out at about 2.75GB per minute. Copying the files back was about half as fast again.
According to Windows 7, the speeds were:
Computer to Drive : 58MB (megabytes) per second
Drive to Computer : 80MB (megabytes) per second

I haven't had the drive long enough to comment on the reliability but so far I am very pleased. I was going to reduce the rating to 4 stars because of the cable but I suspect that most new USB 3 drives are now using this type of cable.

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is garunteed to reduce stress, your cholesterol and make you look 10 years younger, 2 Sept. 2014
Richard Hawkes (Orpington, Kent) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in every way. A Must Buy if you need external storage., 19 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
This item arrived quickly and was well packaged (as would be expected from Amazon).

Pros:
Fast - I copied 320Gb onto this drive and then back onto a new Hard Drive in a matter of hours. It must be plugged into USB 3.0 to have this speed. If you do not have USB 3.0 then it will still work - it just won't be anywhere near as fast. You can get USB 3.0 upgrade PCI card (available separately for about £35).

No formatting required - the drive is formatted to NTFS by default (the type any modern Hard Drive should be using), this meant I was able to remove the drive from its packaging and start using it right away. You can format it when you open it or reformat to 'FAT' if you want - there is nothing to stop you, however this is not required and will suit casual users.

No power cable - all power needed to operate the drive is drawn through the USB cable (once plugged into you computer!) There is only one cable that comes with the external drive: the USB 3.0 cable.

No need for any other software - there is software on the drive - but it is not required for backups. It is just an added extra if you want to take advantage of it.

Cons:
Short cable - the cable is around 30cm in length. This is fine for me as I have a USB 3.0 at the rear of my computer and it sits within easy access, but I can see how it will be a pain for some users.

That was the only bad thing I can say about it. Fantastic bit of kit, well worth the pennies. You will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug. 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE EXTERNAL DRIVE?, 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: 6 months on and all is well.

1.0 out of 5 stars HD failed in less than 1 year, 18 Jun. 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 46 days before dying, 6 Jun. 2014
46 days after purchase, the drive stopped responding while in the middle of a backup. Fortunately it was just a backup, but checking the reviews this does not seem to be an uncommon occurrence. By the number of one-star reviews, it seems that around 10% of drives fail within 2 months of purchase. This is not exactly an encouraging statistic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good after a little tinkering, 10 Nov. 2012
I bought this to connect to my home network and allow me to backup both a Mountain Lion Mac and a Windows 7 PC. Although this drive is advertised as working with both operating systems I was a little disappointed to find that the drive only comes with the Windows compatible software installed. Even worse, when I followed the official links to download the Mac software I found it relied on a piece of software made by google that was no longer available. As such this drive will not work straight out of the box with a Mac operating system.
In the end I reformatted the drive using Disk Utility on the Mac, wiping all of the Samsung software off the drive. This means I have lost some of their security options, which some people may want if they are using this as a portable hard drive and are worried about loosing the disk at some point. For me though I was happy that the security of my network hub would suffice and was easily able to plug the drive into the USB and have both Mac and Windows machines read and write to the drive.
The product is otherwise great. It is tiny, it doesn't seem to get too hot and doesn't whirr or click in any noticeable way. For the money I would definitely recommend it, and I particularly like that it draws its power through the USB cable so there is only one thing to plug in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung M3 500 GB USB 3.0 Protable Hard Drive, 8 Feb. 2013
This is an excellent product about the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes but about 1/2 the thickness -say about 1 cm thick.
It comes complete with a short usb cable approx 400 mm long wich is just ideal to place the product flat down on its 4 small rubber feet on a hard surface when it is operating. (since it is effectively a small disc drive running - which is extremely quite & you can feel it spinning if you place your finger on the top of the unit when it is operating. It also has a small blue LED to let you know it is recieving power and this flashes when transferring data. It seems to operate very efficiently from my Dell desktop with a usb 2 port and operating windows 7.Because I just wanted to back up all the files on my computer ie: My docs, My picture, My videos & My music I did not bother to use the supplied software, just simply attached the usb supplied (to itself)then plugged it in to my computers usb port. It then went through the intalling software and the message 'ready to use' popped up after 30 secs or so.
I then simply copied and pasted all the above folders by simply right clicking on each folder in 'C' drive then right clicking on the Samsung 'E' drive and pasting using windows explorer tool. Very, very easy - as per the pdf instruction files which are available to view if you open the drive and simply double click on the pdf instruction manual (**WHICH YOU SHOULD DO** before using it!!)The quick start paper guide simply tells you how to plug it in as above to get going with it.
It copied all the files very rapidly indeed, at approx 1 GB per minute I would say when I timed it as a rough guide.
All in all an excellent piece of kit, with my Dell computer backed up in about an hour (50 GB)!!
Then simply right click on the task bar at the bottom and eject the device - only disconnecting when it is safe to do so as per the instruction manual. It has got auto back up features and separated pieces of drive such as a private section, I guess with a passcode to set up and other sections to split the drive if you require them but you need to run the software supplied separately by simply clicking on the auto run feature for this software, but i did not bother as its too easy and quick just to simply copy and paste across and hey presto your computer is backed up with no effort at all.
Hope this review helps you decide when you a purchasing a portable drive but I could definatley recommend you buying this 500 GB M3 portable hard drive as it seems excellent and very easy to use!

1.0 out of 5 stars Please just don't, 27 Jun. 2014
This worked so well for over a year, so much so I trusted it entirely and stupidly did not save my documents and photos anywhere else... you can guess what happened next, it developed the noise of doom (which upon googling I found is a fairly common fault) and wouldn't let me access it at all :( I've been unable to recover anything from it and was reduced to a quivering heap when I realised how much I'd lost.

Oh well, lesson learnt!!! Don't put all my eggs in one slimlne portable hard drive and read more reviews before buying!!!