4,388 Reviews
 (3,159)

Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

Published 2 months ago by Richard Hawkes

Died in 6months. Never a shock hot or cold. Not even had enough time to use more than 1.5tb. Used twice a week to watch a movie.
Published 2 months ago by Arno

5.0 out of 5 stars This product is garunteed to reduce stress, your cholesterol and make you look 10 years younger, 2 Sep 2014
Arrived promptly, boxed well and it has a nice look to it.

This was the first time I'd ventured into the world of USB3. I'd kind of expected maybe a doubling in speed. If I'd had a hat on, it would have flown right off, because from the yawn-inducing days of backing up to my old USB2 hard disk at 20MB/S, this little fella was coming in at around 250MB/S for the larger files. At first I couldn't believe the numbers Windows was giving me. It slowed down for the smaller files (of course), but I'm still scratching my head as to how so much information can travel through such a small cable. It must be witchcraft, but I ain't complaining.

Suddenly, my life was transformed from the "leave it backing up overnight" to "done in half an hour" !

I now find that my inner Kharma has increased 10-fold. I no longer wave my fist at pesky children, and my wife has noticed an improved swagger in my walk. The restless nights spend wondering "is it still backing up?" are replaced with me tucked in sleeping like a baby.

Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice quality hard drive - Very impressed!, 21 Aug 2012
i.pod "down loading freak" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Samsung M3 1TB USB 3.0 Slimline Portable Hard Drive - Black (Personal Computers)
Had the 1TB for a few weeks now and I'm very impressed , the image doesn't do the drive justice - it's a BLACK chequered and textured finish to the top, piano black around the sides and a Matt Black Durable underside with 4 rubber feet (These little rubber feet/touch pads are a great idea as its stops the drive clattering on the desk and sliding around ). In the box is a USB 3.0 micro cable (The drive and cable are fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 which I'm currently using )a quick start guide and the warranty document (3 Years ) - on the drive there is security and back up software which i have yet to use but helpful if you don't have any.

So far it's done its job perfectly and I'm very impressed - recommended purchase 100%

5.0 out of 5 stars XBOX ONE EXTERNAL DRIVE?, 26 May 2014
Yup it works just fine... Had every game transferred across quickly and it works with no problems... Happy times.. order it with confidence. UPDATE: 4 months on and all is well.

1.0 out of 5 stars The sound it makes feels like the fork is blocked and try for 10sec before ..., 20 Sep 2014
The sound it makes feels like the fork is blocked and try for 10sec before shutting down. Without a proper back up system I d be furious. I don't think I all touch another Samsung HDD. Ssd might be a better idea for long term use. Even if 5x time more expensive probably much cheaper on Lt.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please be careful..it "died" after 6 weeks!, 4 April 2013
Ms. L. Taylor "Lyndsey" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
I have learned a harsh lesson over the past few weeks to backup your backup!

I had my new Samsung HD only 6 weeks and then it just stopped working. It hadn't even left my house, or been mishandled in anyway, yet it just wouldn't power up. I followed a lot of online DIY diagnostics and it still didn't work. It then took 9 phone calls over a 7 business day period to get to the right person who could help me. It turns out Samsung take nothing to do with this and you deal with a company called Seagate. When I did get Seagate, they said I'd have to pay them to recover any lost data. It then took another 7 phone calls where I was passed back and forth to get this sorted: it was very stressful. Seagate have had my hard drive for a month now and only now am I getting a new one with my recovered data back. In their defence, one I did find the right department, they were so understanding and really tried to help, but a month is rather excessive. I don't expect to buy an external hard drive and for it to fail after 6 weeks.

I choose the device due to the great reviews, so I can only conclude I was terribly unlucky and got the "Friday" machine! Please be careful guys and backup that backup device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung M3 500 GB USB 3.0 Protable Hard Drive, 8 Feb 2013
This is an excellent product about the size of a packet of 20 cigarettes but about 1/2 the thickness -say about 1 cm thick.
It comes complete with a short usb cable approx 400 mm long wich is just ideal to place the product flat down on its 4 small rubber feet on a hard surface when it is operating. (since it is effectively a small disc drive running - which is extremely quite & you can feel it spinning if you place your finger on the top of the unit when it is operating. It also has a small blue LED to let you know it is recieving power and this flashes when transferring data. It seems to operate very efficiently from my Dell desktop with a usb 2 port and operating windows 7.Because I just wanted to back up all the files on my computer ie: My docs, My picture, My videos & My music I did not bother to use the supplied software, just simply attached the usb supplied (to itself)then plugged it in to my computers usb port. It then went through the intalling software and the message 'ready to use' popped up after 30 secs or so.
I then simply copied and pasted all the above folders by simply right clicking on each folder in 'C' drive then right clicking on the Samsung 'E' drive and pasting using windows explorer tool. Very, very easy - as per the pdf instruction files which are available to view if you open the drive and simply double click on the pdf instruction manual (**WHICH YOU SHOULD DO** before using it!!)The quick start paper guide simply tells you how to plug it in as above to get going with it.
It copied all the files very rapidly indeed, at approx 1 GB per minute I would say when I timed it as a rough guide.
All in all an excellent piece of kit, with my Dell computer backed up in about an hour (50 GB)!!
Then simply right click on the task bar at the bottom and eject the device - only disconnecting when it is safe to do so as per the instruction manual. It has got auto back up features and separated pieces of drive such as a private section, I guess with a passcode to set up and other sections to split the drive if you require them but you need to run the software supplied separately by simply clicking on the auto run feature for this software, but i did not bother as its too easy and quick just to simply copy and paste across and hey presto your computer is backed up with no effort at all.
Hope this review helps you decide when you a purchasing a portable drive but I could definatley recommend you buying this 500 GB M3 portable hard drive as it seems excellent and very easy to use!

3.0 out of 5 stars Good after a little tinkering, 10 Nov 2012
I bought this to connect to my home network and allow me to backup both a Mountain Lion Mac and a Windows 7 PC. Although this drive is advertised as working with both operating systems I was a little disappointed to find that the drive only comes with the Windows compatible software installed. Even worse, when I followed the official links to download the Mac software I found it relied on a piece of software made by google that was no longer available. As such this drive will not work straight out of the box with a Mac operating system.
In the end I reformatted the drive using Disk Utility on the Mac, wiping all of the Samsung software off the drive. This means I have lost some of their security options, which some people may want if they are using this as a portable hard drive and are worried about loosing the disk at some point. For me though I was happy that the security of my network hub would suffice and was easily able to plug the drive into the USB and have both Mac and Windows machines read and write to the drive.
The product is otherwise great. It is tiny, it doesn't seem to get too hot and doesn't whirr or click in any noticeable way. For the money I would definitely recommend it, and I particularly like that it draws its power through the USB cable so there is only one thing to plug in.

1.0 out of 5 stars Please just don't, 27 Jun 2014
This worked so well for over a year, so much so I trusted it entirely and stupidly did not save my documents and photos anywhere else... you can guess what happened next, it developed the noise of doom (which upon googling I found is a fairly common fault) and wouldn't let me access it at all :( I've been unable to recover anything from it and was reduced to a quivering heap when I realised how much I'd lost.

Oh well, lesson learnt!!! Don't put all my eggs in one slimlne portable hard drive and read more reviews before buying!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done Samsung, 17 Nov 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I Used this drive for my Samsung smart TV so that I can enable the built in VCR
Type feature for recording TV programs. As soon as I plugged the drive in it recognised it straight away and there is no power lead to worry about, just plug and play. The 500 gig of memory is more then enough for this task too. The only thing I noticed was the TV formats the drive differently from windows so you can't for instance record a TV program then transfer it to your PC (windows 7) for further editing. But as far as the drive in use for its intention on my Smart TV its perfect. I do have other of these drives exacttly the same brand and model only 1TB and that works perfect with windows 7 just plug and play and away it pops up ready for use.

I found this drive can handle HD recordings very smoothly indeed with no drop outs at all when watching films.

Another thing I like about these are they are very very small drives that can fit inside your coat pocket no problem and very thin about the size of a small diary or notebook, extremely lightweight so you wouldn't notice it either. You also get the USB cable with it but its only a 48cm in length so you might need an extention for some uses, its great for just plugging into laptops though. Great job Samsung.

3.0 out of 5 stars Roger was a nice man., 25 Nov 2014
Repulsine Klimator (National Republic Nation of Peoples of Great Union Country) - See all my reviews
postage took ages but it did arrive in good working condition. it was delivered by a royal mail postman whose name was Roger, he has a beard but reasonably fit for his age. Roger knocked on my door to hand over the parcel as it was just a little too big to fit through the letter box and he didn't want to force it, that was very kind of him, a postman who takes a little care in his job can make a difference, for example, if he had forced it through and crumpled up the cardboard packaging i would had no option but to send it back and file an official complaint against Roger through the Royal Mail website, this would of taken up much of my very valuable time as i hold an important position within a very highbrow company. I gave Roger a smile and thanked him for the delivery, a smile can make difference to someone's day.
I was slightly disappointed with the packaging, the hard drive itself is in the usual kind of off the shelf plastic/cardboard box, this was packed in a small Amazon style cardboard box which although fitted well it would of failed to provide any protection against any serious accidents, for example, had Roger dropped my parcel on his delivery route and an unexpected FV4034 Challenger 2 tank just so happening to pass at the time and ran straight over the parcel then there would be nothing left of any use, maybe Amazon need to think about small details like this in the future.
The hard drive itself is fairly small, bigger than a deck of cards but smaller than a large jacket potato, the supplied usb 3 lead is very short, it is longer than a regular carrot but does not leave you with much options on where you can place the hard drive, especially if you have a desktop computer under a desk, also the hard drive spins at 5200 rpm so the claims of ultra fast transfer rates are nothing but evil wicked lies from the marketing department plus it is worth commenting the actual storage space is 931 lady giga bytes.
Having used it for a while i got rather bored and tired of it's rather pathetic transfer speed and ended up throwing the damn thing in the bin and settled for a 1TB samsung SSD which is frightfully better.
In summary, buy this if speed is not an issue and you are too poor to buy a proper ssd.