5.0 out of 5 stars The Marmite Factor ( I Love It ! )
Martha Wainwright is never going to be everybody's cup of tea. She wasn't
born to surf the mainstream and has always been comfortable in her own
distinct musical territory; an uncompromising artist whose deeply personal
muse sometimes touches nerves which we might wish were better left alone.

Then there's that voice; guttural, rough and ready (in...
Published 22 months ago by The Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album and loving the Wainright vocals
Great album, quite different to Martha Wainghright's other music, I really love her vocals and lyrics so a great album.
Published 9 months ago by Matt

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it 3 listens, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Come Home To Mama (MP3 Download)
Holy Hell. Martha is becoming a bonkers genius.
First listen I too was underwhelmed.
Fifth listen I am absolutely smitten. This is her best album yet. Complex and raw, radical sounds and style. She has found her own style and is comfortable in it. Blowing your own mothers best song out of the water takes pluck and ego. Respectful but more brilliant. Did I mention I love this album?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD!, 30 Dec 2012
This review is from: Come Home To Mama (Audio CD)
Good packaging, wrapped up nicely. Arrived on time! Just what I wanted. Can't fault it in any way at all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 31 July 2014
wonderful xx

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Sep 2014
love it

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed, 14 Oct 2012
This review is from: Come Home To Mama (MP3 Download)
I'm very, very fond of Martha Wainwright's work, but not so keen on this particular album. While there are some good tracks on here, at least half, as a complete work it doesn't seem to work all that well, for me at least.

Having heard 'Prosperina' some weeks ago on her website, I half expected something of a return to form, particularly in relation to her first album, and some strong numbers on her second, as such, consequently, my expectations were raised, sadly leading into disappointment.

I think the main issue I have concerns its production, in that I don't particularly like the arrangements. The synthesised instruments throughout most of the album do however appear to give it some degree of consistency, or identity in that regard, towards the overall presentation, at least until the last song, which sounds to me like the odd one out.

I half expect that some of my least favourite songs here may indeed fair better presented on other versions of the album, those that include a few demos. But that remains to be seen.

I liked

1. I Am Sorry
2. Can You Believe It
3. Radio Star
4. Proserpina
5. Leave Behind

I hated

10 Everything Wrong, whereas tracks 6-9 just didn't tickle my fancy.

Demo's I'd like to hear on other releases include -

Leave Behind (Demo)
I Wanna Make An Arrest (Demo)
All Your Clothes (Demo)
Four Black Sheep (Demo)

Still, 3 stars isn't bad is it, I was just a little underwhelmed.

1.0 out of 5 stars It's easy to be critical......., 22 Oct 2012
This review is from: Come Home To Mama (Audio CD)
It's easy to be critical of any artist, and I rarely am, but even as a long term and avid fan, critical is what I have to be of this cacophonous opus. The attempted synthesis of synthetic noise along with self indulgent voice gymnastics (think early Kraftwerk mixed badly with an anxious Kate Bush) simply fails to deliver on every level. Terribly disappointing.

If you are (or were!) a Martha Wainwright fan, make sure you listen to this CD before spending your money?

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much noise, 8 Nov 2012
Geezer (In the right) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Come Home To Mama (Audio CD)
This is over-produced. The problem with digital capability is that since it's available it's used, and if it's used it has to be heard. I couldn't hear Martha Wainwright when I first listened to this. Which is a pity because her voice has enough passion, drama, tenderness and characterization to do justice to her lyrics. And her lyrics deserve a better showcase than this. It was reading the lyrics that enabled me to find Martha in the shallows of what threatens to become a turgid sea of digital noise. She's a very talented singer and a very talented songwriter - outstanding in recent years. Good live too. Or was a few years ago. Maybe she's taking the computer on stage these days. I wish she'd clean up the sound. This kind of production is fine for vacuous lyrics and one speed voices. Havinge said that,in there amongst the distractions is a fine collection of songs and performances.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Come Home To Mama
Come Home To Mama by Martha Wainwright (Audio CD - 2012)