Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Voyage Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CDChange

Martha Wainwright is never going to be everybody's cup of tea. She wasn't
born to surf the mainstream and has always been comfortable in her own
distinct musical territory; an uncompromising artist whose deeply personal
muse sometimes touches nerves which we might wish were better left alone.

Then there's that voice; guttural, rough and ready (in the best possible way)
and with the capacity to make your hair stand on end if you'll just let it in.
Powerful, emotional and ready to reach into the darkest corners of the soul
in the service of authenticity. A Marmite voice if ever there was one and love
it or hate it (I love it!) it's an honest, affecting and unique instrument.

'Come Home To Mama' is the third album of her own compositions (with the
exception of the beautiful 'Proserpina' written by her Mother Kate McGarrigle)
and contains some of her strongest material. Producer Yuka Honda is another
maverick at heart and brings a rich immediacy to the recording. The voice is
always well-forward in the mix; the instrumental arrangements serve the music
well with their occasional judicious use of electronics to enhance a remarkably
diverse sonic palette. The collaboration has clearly been a fruitful one.

From the blistering opening bars of 'I Am Sorry' with its foursquare pounding
percussion and grinding electric guitar riffs; through the upbeat, almost
radio-friendly melody of 'Can You Believe It?', sporting some fruity honking
sax decorations and the sublimely winding vocal line of 'Leave Behind', we sense
a songwriter working at the top of her game. The beautiful final track 'Everything
Wrong', however, garners the crown for what is very probably Ms Wainwright's
finest moment; a song of such bruised intimacy that we almost feel that we should
not be listening. A defining moment in the career of a truly great songwriter.

If you don't know her already please do take this opportunity to become acquainted.

Highly Recommended.
on 15 October 2012
This is Martha's fourth album (third of original material - her last album was a Edith Piaf "tribute") and the striking thing about all four albums is that each one stands on it's own, with it's own sound and being somewhat different from the last, but very much reflecting a natural progression of age, beauty and maturity and all being undeniably Martha.

In an age where there are some very good but very unoriginal sounding female vocalists, her voice is one of the most compelling there has been for a very long time. Piaf could only have been so lucky as to have someone with this voice and vocal control attempting her songs.

Never one to shy away from personal and intimate subjects, this may be her most directly personal collection of songs yet, both in subject matter, and of course the astonishing version of one of her late mothers songs "Proserpina". It says something of the strength and impact of a song when, in a family home where the age's span 5-44, each and every member has been singing this song around the house since it was released as a single a number of weeks ago.

The album does have a very contemporary, but ageless sound to it. The choice of producer, Yuka Honda - a female artist/producer who clearly understands and compliments Martha's work, was a sublime choice.

This is the time of year, leading up to Christmas, where the number of new releases is verging on ridiculous, however if you are looking for an artist of originality and beauty and an album which will enrich your collection, please buy this one.
on 18 December 2012
Martha Wainwright was always sublime, funny and musical. But here she raises from the ocean of the rather good with a very good album. The song "Four black sheep" reminds me both of Kate Bush and Lennon/Ono ("In the middle of the night") and she actually matches them!

There are also other very good songs, like "Proserpina", which has a heavy pathos, like a theatre or film song.

I heard Wainwright in Oslo in 2011 in a double gig with her father. I am such a big fan of Loudon III that I partly overlooked Martha. I shouldn't have. Martha Wainwright seems to have dared to let out her extraordinary talent and made a great record. I distribute it among friends for Christmas (legally, if you wondered).
on 16 December 2012
Come Home to Mama is one of the most beautiful albums of 2012. It is a "grower" and the textures and layers change on each hearing. Q magazine loved it and rated it quite rightly. Her voice is unquestionably mesmerising and her confessional lyrics fascinate. I can't compare her to other artists without doing her a dis service as I don't find she sits easily in the female singer songwriter category as her range is wide. Kate Bush territory perhaps? Give it a go and keep returning. Then see her live.Beautiful.
on 4 January 2013
I really like this album. Lots. I like the production, I like the songwriting and Martha's voice does something to me that's difficult to put into words. But what makes this album a 5 star purchase for me is Martha's version of Proserpina. It's her version of her late mother, Kate McGarrigle's final composition and, with it's "Come Home To Mama" refrain that gives the album its title, is one of the best songs I've heard in years. A real heartbreaker.
on 18 November 2013
I love Martha Wainwright! This album is brilliant, better than "I know you're married but I've got feelings too". I'm absolutely addicted to it.
on 26 December 2012
I absolutely dore this album, she never fails to impress me with her vocals, her song writing skills are fantastic.
Love the song proserpina, her mother wrote the song and I believe she never recorded it, she sang it in live performances.

on 22 January 2013
I saw Martha Wainwright at the Shepherd's Bush Empire, I didn't any of her new songs. It was such a beautiful concert that I bought the CD straight away. Great voice, very inspiring.
on 29 October 2012
I find that one has to listen to anything new by Martha before one can appreciate the depth and beauty, and sheer genius of her work. On first or second listening, it doesnt move me, but the more I listen the more of the depth her talent is revealed. By far the most talented of that incredibly talented family, but you have to persevere before she reveals her depths of lyric, and just amazing vocal performance. I recommend this if you are prepared to stick with it, and in the end you will be blow away. Wonderful, well worth the long wait for her to give more of herself to us......
on 1 January 2013
Following a year in which she both lost and became a mother, Martha Wainwright produced a woman's album par excellence. The ups and downs, sweet and sour, hopes and fears, light and darkness of motherhood and marriage variously laid bare and celebrated. The final track, Everything Wrong, touches my own raw nerves as a parent, albeit a father. It isn't easy listening or car music but if you like Martha Wainwright's songwriting and voice, this album is up with the others, if the production may be a little over synth laden for some.