on 21 July 2015
Tenda W522U 300Mbps Wireless dongle.
Please be aware these are really for Linux OS.
It would seem Linux & WiFi dongles are somewhat troublesome. My previous Netgear WiFi dongle was great on Windows, but utterly abysmal when used on Linux.
After considerable research this would be the basic dongle of choice for Linux & for that it is great, but if you are a M$ Windows user buy a different product unless you want to go hunting down drivers that are not readily available.
Most of the poor reviews for this product appear to come from Windows users.
Also please note the model number, I have noticed the last few years Amazon have been lumping together reviews for different products under the same 'heading'. There is another Tenda WiFi dongle that is a completely different product (& apparently not so good on Linux) that bring up the exact same reviews.
I think it is disgusting misleading & downright deceitful for Amazon to do this.
Lastly 4 stars because that's all I give for something that is as advertised, to get 5 stars any product would need to far exceed what it claims to do.
on 6 March 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The CD supplied with the WiFi device didn't actually "autorun" for me on Windows 7 (64 bit) however it would be easy enough to click on the install if that were the case. Given I'd prefer not to install unnecessary extra software I was happy when Windows found and install the driver for it very quickly. Reading the instruction PDF on the CD it seems to work with all main operating systems including Linux, Windows & Mac and the info in the PDF is fairly extensive with screenshots to show how to do things. It works with WPS and security is up to WPA2-PSK - current standards.

In order to test it I ran some speed checks on the internet with my PC (Windows 7 64bit) first attached via wire and the via this WiFi device. I was expecting the results to be pretty similar and they were although on a limited test the WiFi connection was better than the wired one so it may well stay on my PC. Maybe not the cheapest or most elegant of such devices but it does the job it is supposed to well enough and that is the main thing. I'll update this review if anything crops up while I'm using it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Tested on my laptop running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. Plugged in, and immediately recognised as a new wifi interface, no need to install any drivers or anything (recognised by the "ralink" driver).

Connected up to my 5GHz WPA2-personal wifi network just fine, ran a speed test against my internal server, transfer rate of 163Mbps reported! Far faster than my laptop's built-in Broadcom wifi adaptor. Possibly not as sensitive, though, as it shows 4 available networks, whereas my built-in Broadcom adaptor reports 8 (although some of them are such a weak signal they're unlikely to be really usable).

Includes a button for WPS (wifi protected setup) to make connecting easy - but I don't use that on my network, so haven't tested that feature.

The device is reported by lsusb as a "Ralink Technology, Corp. RT3572 Wireless Adapter", with USB ID 148f:3572.

All in all, good value, fast USB wifi adaptor - giving my laptop the ability to use my 5GHz network which it didn't have before (my built-in wifi only supports the more common and congested 2.4GHz band).
VINE VOICEon 17 April 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I used this on my Raspberry Pi. The driver (ralink) loaded automatically, so that I merely had to connect to my wireless network and it was ready to go. The speed is fast and more than acceptable for what I need it to do.

If I had to find anything negative to report, I would say that I prefer it not to come with a cap, as it then is left floating around once the product is in use. I prefer a sliding cap that remains attached throughout.

Overall, this USB network interface card is perfectly good at what it does. It has been very useful for my own needs, but may be less so for your average household, as most laptops would have an internal one already.
on 20 April 2013
Its about the size of a normal USB pen drive, and fairly unobtrusive. Dual band, so fairly useful if you want to connect to 5GHz. Works well on linux with the generic ubuntu rt2800usb driver, didn't have any trouble getting it to work.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I wanted this Wireless N USB adapter so I would not need a cable/home plug combination from the downstairs router to the upstairs PC.

In line with the user manual I disabled the other network devices listed by device manager (only one).

Then I inserted the Tenda adapter in a spare USB 2.0 (3.0 also tried) on a i7 Win7 64 bit system and windows tried to load a suitable driver but could not find one.

I then put the supplied Tenda CD in and the opening screen appeared. I pressed RUN and the usual windows message about allowing the program to make changes appeared - clicked YES and installation stared.

After only a few seconds installation stopped telling me that "Driver Installation needs the Wireless Adapter to be inserted into my computer". It was already inserted so I pressed OK and nothing happened. I tried several more times and each time I got the same message. I tried taking the adapter out and putting it back in but still nothing. I tried changing USB ports but still nothing.

I tried loading the latest drivers (v3.0) from the Tenda site and despite having a fast fibre connection the down load speed was less than 5KB/s. The estimated down load time was 5 hours. Just as a check I tried the Uswitch broadband speed checker with the result that my download speed was over 36Mb/s.

The final result is that I could not get the software to load I was not going to spend 5 hours trying to download a very small file.

I could have had a faulty product but that would not explain the very slow driver down load speed but I have given up and gone back to my home plugs.
Tenda W522U 300Mbps Wireless USB Network Interface Card
Most laptops and desktops in recent manufactured times come fitted with a wireless adaptor working at 2.4GHz geared to current standards and ISP suppliers routers.
Having a multiband wireless adaptor allows separation of wireless conventional traffic and game units. ( You will also need a multichannel router ( or game unit operating a 5GHz) if you want to benefit from the 5Ghz band which is said to give enhanced HD video playback with this unit .
So to my experiences – I tried to install the unit on a 7 year old Acer (Windows XP) fitted already with a 2.4Ghz wireless system. The unit plugged into a USB port which didn’t recognise it completely . Putting the software CD in the drive also failed to autostart or install using the wizard .
Opening the CD contents manually, I found the Adaptor manual ( English and Chinese versions) , which appears to be well written – I suggest reading it before trying to install the software which will require the disabling of any existing wireless unit. Although the system was connected to the internet throughout the laptop didn’t download any relevant driver
Instructions are given for Windows 7 and Vista – couldn’t see any specific instructions for XP or Windows 8 . Other reviewers evidently got it to work OK on Win 8 and Win 7.
It finally worked OK when the software was installed via clicking on “Autorun” on the CD but it didn’t seem to be significantly better than the existing 2.4Ghz adaptor. Others have also reported the performance with XP – I couldn’t see any speed differences on my ( albeit old and sluggish) laptop.
Having no dual band router , I cannot comment as to how well the 5Ghz system works.
Rate it as 3 stars
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The W522U is quite keenly priced for a dual band adapter, and it works well enough for me, delivering a 270Mbps connection without any attempt at tweaking. However, I found its effective range to be less than both the 150Mbps card fitted in my laptop and my preferred 300Mbps adapter, and the fiddly supplied software utility annoyed the hell out of me.

Note that if you only want the basic WiFi functions there is no need to run the CD at all, I plugged the dongle into a spare USB port and Windows 7 downloaded the driver in a few seconds. Then it was a matter of going to Control Panel/Network and Sharing/Change Adapter Settings where I disabled my wireless card and enabled the dongle. It is always my preference to run WiFi devices without installing manufacturer utilities, but I could not review the product without seeing what the software had to offer. By default the W522U selects the 2.4GHz band, and you can change that in the utility and do other things such as set it up as an AP. Here I must say that although I've seen AP facility on a number of WiFi dongles, and have dutifully tested the said function, it's not something I've never actually needed and I wonder if anyone else really does.

I also tried plugging the W522U into my WDTV LiveHub (with the latest software upgrade) where it worked perfectly, somewhat to my surprise.

I did not test the W522U with any games consoles because I don't have any.

If you're looking for a bargain dual band dongle it's perhaps worth considering, but unless you know you need the 5GHz band I would recommend the smaller, neater, and cheaper TP-Link TL-WN823N 300Mbps Mini Wireless N USB Adapter which is a cracking device.
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I tried to use the Tenda Wireless Adaptor in a 64Bit Windows 7 PC the signal was weak and the speed was slow, the PC is located in a different room to my router.
I then tried to using it in a XP laptop, this is located upstairs but directly above my router. The Tenda software tried to connect me to my neighbors unsecured Wi-Fi connection, despite it being a far weaker signal to my own router.
I selected my own router from the list but despite the signal being strong the connection was unstable and kept dropping when it reconnected sometimes it would again connected to my neighbors Wi-Fi. I put the laptop directly next to the router and the connection was still unstable.
I then got my TP-Link TL-WN822N wireless USB adapter, that is used on another machine, installed the software on the laptop and 5 minutes later was on the web and writing this review. The TP-Link immediately connected to the router with the strongest signal (my own).
My conclusion is that the Tenda is not worth the money, I just couldn't get it working right, if you have the knowledge and the time the software looks complex enough (overly complex in my opinion) to maybe get it working. If like me you just want a simple way to Wi-Fi enable a laptop or PC I'd look elsewhere.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 March 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These sort of devices should just plug in and work. That's the way they are designed to function and that is what they should do - plug it in, install the software, if any, and then use it and forget about it.
I am happy to say that is just what this little network adapter does for me on both my Windows 8 and Linux laptop computers. Once up and running it allows me to connect at a far greater speed than before to my 11ac equipped Netgear R7000 Nighthawk AC1900 Smart WiFi Router . The only real downside with this device as with almost all of this type is the danger of catching or breaking the device as it protrudes from the side of your computer. Some rival devices are supplied with a short flexible USB adapter which sits between the network adapter and the laptop and prevents the computer or adapter being damaged in the case of accidents. Sadly, no such cable was provided with this unit, hence the 4 stars only.
That aside this is a useful addition to your tech kit and will give extra speed and further life to an elderly computer.

See one answered question