2,511 Reviews
 (1,984)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying all the recipes
Have been using this book to create almost all our meals for 5 weeks now.

The recipes are very simple to follow and have all tasted really good.

I have lost 1 Stone so far and my wife has lost 8 pounds so we are both very happy with this.

Published on 5 Sep 2012 by M. Edwards

3.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version
Love the book and message that low calorie food can be tasty, nutritious and made at home. BUT, and it is a big but , navigating the kindle version is really frustrating! The index can't be accessed quickly from the main menu. To get to the index you have to select the end of the book and work back from here ( about 15 pages) ..... The result is that it takes too long to...
Published on 9 Oct 2012 by Anna

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoying all the recipes, 5 Sep 2012
M. Edwards "marin" (UK) - See all my reviews
Have been using this book to create almost all our meals for 5 weeks now.

The recipes are very simple to follow and have all tasted really good.

Not just down to the recipes in the book as you have to exercise as well, I go mountain biking and my wife goes to a gym.

So for now we are going to continue to use the recipes in the book - give it a try as it does help to loose weight.

***Update 1 after nine weeks ***

Have now lost 2 Stone and the wife 1 Stone - still using the book for most meals.

***Update 2 after seventeen weeks ***

Have now lost over 3 Stone and the wife 1 Stone 4 pounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Calorie Counting for people who love food., 30 July 2012
What do foodie minded (and bellied) folk eat when they are cutting back a bit? I've wondered this often and it was with much anticipation that I opened this one up.

I wasn't disappointed either. The hairy bikers have done a good book here with some excellent recipes and pictures that make you want to try the recipes. Food chapters are: Breakfast & Brunch, One-Pan Dishes, Grills & Roasts, Pies, Stews, Vegetables & Salads, Fakeaways, Pasta & Rice, Puddings & Cakes and Lunch Boxes & Snacks.

Many of the dishes have a comforting feel, some are spicy, some light and delicious like: Salmon with chilli Ginger Sauce, Peppered Steak with Mushrooms, Lemon and Thyme Roast Chicken, Cajun Spiced Chicken with Potato Wedges and Chive Dip, Chicken and Ham Tangle Pie, Lean Lamb Hotpot, Lamb Tagine, Chilli Salad Bowl, Chilli Con Carne and a number of really great sounding curries. This is just a taster of the recipes, I fancy trying a lot more. My favourites of the sweet recipes are Summer Fruit Meringues and Chewy Cranberry and Apricot Bites.

I've recently taken a lot more interest in cooking to lose a bit of weight, for much the same reasons as the bikers - to give my health a boost - so this book has come at just the right time for me. Starting off tonight with one I already have the ingredients for, their Chicken and Mushroom Risotto.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best healthy recipes ever!, 8 Sep 2012
Joanne Sheppard (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I've been on a weight loss mission for a year now, and have lost four stone in weight - and I've done it in the same way as the Hairy Bikers have, ie by stepping up my activity levels and reducing my calorie intake while maintaining a balanced diet. However, I still have another stone I'd like to lose and I've been looking for some nice tasty meals I can make from scratch and which aren't 'diet food' - I love food, I love cooking and I love cooking for other people too, so I don't want to have to cook one 'diet' meal for me and one 'normal' meal for my boyfriend. Supposedly healthy recipes in magazines are almost always a bland, tedious variation on the 'plain grilled chicken and steamed vegetables drizzled with lemon juice' theme and frankly, I'm not about to eat like Posh Spice every night.

So, this book has been brilliant for me! It's full of really hearty, tasty meals like spaghetti and meatballs, curries, roasts, cooked breakfasts, stews and even a few pies. Most of the recipes are really easy, too - you only need the most basic cooking skills for the vast majority of them and if you think some of the curries etc have a really long ingredients list, it's mostly just spices which you've probably got in the cupboard and the actual cooking isn't at all arduous. You could happily feed a family on them. If there are family members who need more calories than you, you can just serve them extra spuds, rice or pasta with their portions. None of this food is really 'diet' food as I think of it - I could eat meals from this book every day and not once feel like I was denying myself anything nice.

These are really good, practical, fun, tasty recipes with loads of flavour and they're all really well-balanced in terms of nutrition. Plus, the Hairy Bikers are down-to-earth and realistic in their advice, and their enthusiasm really shines through. Excellent stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 14 Aug 2012
Big Mama "BM" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Having watched one of the programmes, my hubby and I decided to look for an accompanying cook book. This is it! The recipes are great and what a variety of ingredients.

There are six of us at home, me, hubby, 2 x 20 year olds, 1 x 19 year old and 1 x 16 year old. All with large appetites, but only me needing to lose weight.

I prepared the ingredients for the casserole, put it all in the slow cooker, switched it on and went to work. Late afternoon, I received a text message from my 20 year old son explaining that he would be out until after 7pm, but could I please, please, please keep him some of the casserole as it smelled so good!

When I got home, I had to practically fight my way through the rest of the family - it was like a scene from Oliver Twist with them standing there with bowls in hand. Not one complaint was received apart from there being none left!

I am a large eater and have found the portions to be more than adequate and certainly far more substantial than any ready meals I have purchased.

The Skinny Beef Lasagne also received rave reviews.

We are all looking forward to trying more of the delicious looking recipes.

The various sections are well laid out, calories are detailed for the recipes per portion and clear ingredient lists make these straight forward and easy to prepare. I have not come across any ingredients that I could not find in my local supermarket and certainly none that were so fancy I hadn't heard of them.

As I do not possess any of the previous Hairy Biker cookbooks, I cannot comment on previous reviews that the recipes are simply a reworking of the originals.

As far as I am concerned, these tasty meals will be very useful in encouraging me to keep on my weight loss / healthy eating plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for everybody who enjoys food, 13 Sep 2012
One of the best cookery books I have ever bought the recipes are so good you would not know they were dieting recipes.I would recommend it to everybody

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal Cookbook, 6 Aug 2012
Z. Sargent (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
My copy arrived last Thursday and I think I've cooked every meal we've had since then from this cookbook, it's wonderful, my husband and I have very different diet needs (I need to loose weight, he doesn't) so finding meals that suited both of us was a real challange. The recipes are easy to follow and delicous.Si & Dave have cooked all over the world and their experience really shows through in the flavours of the dishes. So far I've cooked the Ginger Chilli Salmon, the poached eggs and bacon, the chicken korma, the lemon and blueberry fairy cakes and the cheese & leek pasties, I've only had the book 4 days. I can now cook meals which help me loose weight and that my husband will enjoy. Would recommend this book to everyone!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not ground breaking, just great food, 15 Sep 2012
Mr. M. G. Jones "taffysaint" (Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
I watched the show and made a fair few of the freely available recipes - this coincided with a decision I had already made to shed a few pounds. By not just following the recipes but applying the cooking advice to my own recipes I've been able to eat well, not go hungry but still keep my daily calorie count around the 1500-1600 mark as a maximum, usually its closer to 1400.

I'm not as religious with it as the HBs so my weight loss is a gradual affair but I don't feel like I am on a diet and have still managed 14lbs in about 6 weeks (I also cycle regularly), I am just not over eating and making sure the things I do eat are cannily made. And the most important thing is that the food is delicious and filling.

All of these recipes are easily doable,all very straight forward with easily obtained ingrediants - nothing seems particularly daunting - this is food, not fine dining which is EXACTLY what you need for every day cooking.

I have given 4 stars rather than 5 because whilst most recipes are sort of 'stand alone', often there can be instances of (x calories - not including rice). This is fine but it should have an additional note which says how many extra calories the accompaniment would be. Its a minor niggle I know and doesn't affect me much but for people new to cooking/calorie counting you need to make life as easy as possible.

I've seen a very few negative reviews for this book, most don't relate to the actual product, the remainder frothing about how calorie counting does/doesn't work.

This is pretty good news, when you find a product where the negative reviews have no substance you can be pretty confident in the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Dieters ride again, 4 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Hairy Dieters: How to Love Food and Lose Weight (Kindle Edition)
Opened this book and gazed in wonder at the pictures, ok they are all specially photographed so the proof of the pudding is in the making and eating. I have just eaten the best tuna dish I have ever tasted, and (wait for it) it looked exactly as it does in the picture. Wow! These guys have never let me down in any of their books and yet again I am more than happy to say well done lads.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Light-hearted and delicious approach to losing weight, 13 Aug 2012
Having recently purchased the book I was relieved to find that it was 1. easy to follow 2. used readily available ingredients (even found harissa in the supermarket) 3. easy to follow instructions 4. easy to cook and 5. tasted delicious.
I have countless cook books confined to the cupboard because they are too complex and I give up the will to live after just reading them. All the recipes offered that I have made are bursting with flavor just as they promise, with no complaints from any of the family, making for a pleasant change. It is true the book is simple and to the point - which as a busy working Mum suits me down to the ground. I would highly recommend this book based on the fact that I have actually used it and am still using it. Can't say fairer than that......................

5.0 out of 5 stars A scrumptious aid to weight loss..., 2 Jan 2013
I love the Hairy Bikers food but like them,over the years, my weight has crept up until something had to be done. Having tried many other available diet options I finally came across this amazing tomb of delicious calorie counted food. I lost 10lb in the first two weeks simply by following and sticking to the hints, tips and recipes inside.
By understanding my weight gain, setting achievable goals and using the flavoursome recipes in this book I was able to stick to my goal. I went one step further and also got The Calorie Counters Bible so that I could understand about calories and create my own recipes using Si and Dave as inspiration.
If you think that losing weight means giving up curries, pies, pasties, lasagne and egg and bacon breakfasts then the Hairy Dieters is definitely the book for you!