4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister
Finally a horror film that packs a punch and delivers on the hype.

Sinister is a very unsettling, disturbing and scary film.

Published on 31 Oct 2012 by Ben

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it, but don't let that hold you back
Published 2 months ago by Cleo

4.0 out of 5 stars Sinister, 31 Oct 2012
Ben (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sinister [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Finally a horror film that packs a punch and delivers on the hype.

Sinister is a very unsettling, disturbing and scary film.

From the very opening shot you know this film is going to be a ride. I found certain sequences in the movie extremely disturbing and some images were burned onto my subconscious memory long after the film had finished. This is a true horror film in the sense that there are a few jump scares but it does not rely on them which is refreshing and it is not a total gore-fest. It balances the two very well and delivers a very tense atmosphere with some harrowing images.

Ethan Hawke is good, he carries the film confidently as he delivers a very convincing performance. I happily watched him for the entire duration of the film and didn't find myself taken out of the film due to bad acting, which is rare in horror films nowadays.

The Blu Ray is good. Sharp images and some great moments for the surround sound. Not much to add.

This film successfully mixes the POV "Found Footage" style horror with the traditional narrative. Fans of the found footage genre will enjoy this but more importantly those who aren't fans of the genre might find this style works better for them as it blends both styles effectively.

I regard myself as a very hardened horror viewer and I am not easily scared...
When I got home after the cinema, I was spooked. I found myself closing my blinds and turning on all the lights.

Fresh horror, not exactly breaking new ground but it's a welcome change.
Not a particularly pleasant viewing, Sinister accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do.

Good, solid horror film.

7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware of the boogie man, 21 Feb 2013
Mr. R. W. Graham (Lincoln, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sinister [DVD] (DVD)
Sinister tells the story of a crime writer who moves his family into a house that turns out to be the scene of a brutal murder of the previous family. The locals including the sherriff don't want them there and it soon becomes clear that there is something very wrong with the house and an evil sinister prescence is lurking. A slow but tense and creepy build up, excellent performances especially from Ethan Hawke in the lead role builds up into a genuinely terrifying film and an instant horror classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Very' Sinister, 3 Nov 2013
This review is from: Sinister [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Sinister is a well written and acted film from start to finish, which does not go for gross-out horror but good old build ups of suspense and scares, crafting an almost dark perpetual, yep - 'sinister' atmosphere throughout. Add some very creepy sound effects and music, and what you have is one of the best 'scare' movies for sometime. If you are watching on your own late at night be ready for a very sinister investigation into some very gruesome murders and be prepared for some very nerve-shredding scares throughout!

4.0 out of 5 stars Disturbing in concept; not for the over impressionable, 24 Sep 2014
All of them Witches (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sinister [DVD] (DVD)
Rather good as a whole, certainly flawed in part but an effective addition to the horror genre. Sinister employs some fairly overused staples, spooky house; children; things that go bump in the night etc and for a considerable amount of it's running time I did not find it scary per se but I was aware of a steady build-up of dread and tension which eventually left me feeling unsettled, disturbed even.
It starts off from the outset with some rather disturbing 'death footage' and continues in this vein for the first third of the film after the discovery of some old film stock depicting a number of murderous events. This footage becomes a bit wearisome, a non-ending series of re-runs of someone's snuff film collection and my girlfriend gave up on it at this point, finding it all a bit much to stomach. I'd say perseverance pays off as the direction of events changed and the story evolved and explanations came thick and fast.
I didn't find any of the relationships very convincing and some of the dialogue was pretty bad but visually and atmosphere wise it had more hits than misses. It's a good story, not your standard haunted house fare despite its allusion to the contrary for most of it's running time. I liked it and didn't feel it was implausible as far as horror films go. Elements were over explained though and maybe sign posted too much but as a horror it's not blood spattered or overly gory; it is creepy, concept wise disturbing, too disturbing for some and I thought the story was well constructed and played out.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never jumped so much in my life! Sinister is an extremely scary movie., 14 Oct 2014
This review is from: Sinister (Amazon Instant Video)
I've seen a lot of creepy films over the years and am not easily spooked by many nowadays, but this one, wow, I had no idea Sinister was going to be this good. I actually slept with the lights on lol; completely irrational I know, but that's the effect it had on me.

I highly-recommend Sinister to anyone who enjoys quality acting, (Ethan Hawke is fantastic in this) tons of suspense, a good story and superb unexpected twists and turns; building to an awesome climax in an amazing ending. I watched it twice and still jumped during one or two scenes. I thought the powerful and sinister-sounding music added to the existing creepiness of these scenes too.

This film is that good, I'm going to buy the DVD of it to add to my favourite creepy films collection. Five out of five stars from me. This is one very scary film.

4.0 out of 5 stars WRITING GIVES MY LIFE MEANING, 20 May 2013
The Movie Guy "Movies from A to Z" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sinister [DVD] (DVD)
This film is a watered down version of the hand held camera genre. In instances where they didn't use home video footage, they filmed the scene bad enough to make it feel like found footage. The movie opens showing us a family being hung in their back yard. True crime author Ellison Oswalt (Ethan Hawke) moves into the same house with the intention of investigating the gruesome killing and writing about it. The locals are not warm to the idea, but we don't see any incidences due to budget constraints. Ellison doesn't inform his family they are in the same house that the killings took place.

In the attic, Ellison discovers a horde of super 8 movies (some that have their own sound track, or so it seems) of the killing he is investigating as well as other killings that date back to the 1960's. He asks the questions, "Who is filming this?" and "Why?" and "Where is Stephanie?" She was the daughter of the family that was hung. They never found her.

Ellison begins to investigate the other cases as weird things start to happen in the home. As usual it starts out slow and escalates.

I liked the concept of the film more than its amateurish execution. Ellison drinks rather heavily which makes for an alternate explanation of his "hallucinations." The film would have been better if it had lead us in that direction, rather than just discuss it. Those who enjoy the "Paranormal" type movies should find a friend in this film. I loved the film in the beginning, but then it slowly wanes. Thumb rule: When you think demons are in your house, turn on the lights.

Parental Guide: No f-bombs, sex. or nudity. Snuff films. 3 1/2 stars. Should scare the kids during a sleepover at Trent Raznor's house.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well executed horror, 30 Oct 2013
This review is from: Sinister [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
While this film uses many of the usual horror staples, it executes them with such skill that everything is bestowed a new terror. The main character is, as in all such films, prone to unwise action, but his motives are well presented, and in fact all the characters, for their limited interactions, feel refreshingly intelligent.

This was my first horror movie in full HD, and I was blown away by the video quality. Even with its many dark scenes, the picture is beautiful and crisp (with the exception of a few projector sequences which are left intentionally grainy). Surround sound definitely enhances the scare factor, and the film's eerie soundtrack can be just as unsettling as the disturbing footage Ellison finds in his attic.

If you're going to watch one "haunted house" movie, let it be this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars GOOD CHILLER, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: Sinister [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I like the way this movie unfolds.It's creepy with a suitably sinister score and looks & sounds great.One to watch horror fans.

2.0 out of 5 stars I didn't like it, but don't let that hold you back, 30 Sep 2014
This review is from: Sinister [DVD] (DVD)
This review isn't about bashing the movie, it's about telling you what my personal experience was watching it. A lot of people gave this movie a very good score, and I firmly believe people are entitled to like or dislike something for their very own personal reasons - which are all valid. For me, the only thing sinister about this movie was its title. Let me explain.

The story (in short, no spoilers): a crime scene writer goes to live with his family (wife, daughter and son) in a house where a murder took place, as to better write a book about it. He finds tapes in the attic and when watching them, discovers clues of the murder. By doing so he uncovers something that puts his life and that of his family in danger.

I found the characters as flat as the story and sometimes downright annoying, which made it impossible for me to feel anything for anyone. As for the scares in it, I'm really not that difficult to please but boy, another lengthy scene of the lead character walking from point A to B in his house without anything happening and badly done? Come on. And when I finally got to see something relevant, I found it so predictable, ridiculous (what was the make-up department thinking?) and illogical that it just could not scare me. Also, the ending held no surprises for me.

I thought it started out promising, and it surely had a lot of ingredients to make something nice. But it just didn't deliver. It's not that the actors are all bad: actually, Ethan Hawke looked like he really made an effort. But that's about it. For me, anyway.

My opinion: watch it and see for yourself if you like it or not!

3.0 out of 5 stars Dark and disturbing..., 17 Mar 2014
PF Cope "Pamandlawrence" (Staffordshire, uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sinister [DVD] (DVD)
Not quite a three star film but not a four either! Sinister has quite a good plot overall with a few twists and turns but I think that it could have been a whole lot better if the studio didn't build in the intention of a sequel. Reasonably well acted and with a few good 'jump' scenes it is quite a disturbing film overall. I found the DVD transfer to be a little dark and indistinct in places despite watching it via a good upscaling player and decent TV. It was worth watching but glad that we borrowed this from our daughter instead of buying it.

Sinister [DVD]
Sinister [DVD] by Scott Derrickson (DVD - 2013)